Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

FogHelmut posted:

I'm interviewing right now and things are looking really positive. At what point in the process do I tell them my wife is having a baby in 6 weeks?

It's none of their business. The only thing that you're responsible for is making sure whatever arrangements you have to make with regard to your work are in place when/if you need to take any time off.

So as long as you're keeping that in mind and planning ahead, assuming you're offered the position, it's nothing they need to be informed about.

Might be worth letting your immediate supervisor know when it's like, 2 weeks from her due date, but nothing is obligated of you implicitly.

quick edit: this is assuming :911: but if you're asking you're probably american as well anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honey Im Homme
Sep 3, 2009

Would you not want to know about their parental leave policy?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

This is America. The hiring manager wants to have someone in place mid-May, our due date is May 24. I'm taking the week off no matter what (only a week, this is America), but I don't want to say too soon and potentially miss the opportunity, or give an unfairly short notice.

Honey Im Homme posted:

Would you not want to know about their parental leave policy?

America, just assume there's none. Lol I can imagine getting paid paternity leave on the first day and not actually starting for months.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Many places require at least a year for pat leave anyway.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Yeah, you wouldn't get leave or FMLA. Once you get the offer you should probably mention it. Due dates are never set in stone so if your wife goes early and you don't show up on your first day you'll probably just get fired if no one knows what's going on. Someone needing a week that early for a good reason probably wouldn't stop the process if they are that far along.

sticksy
May 26, 2004
Nap Ghost

CarForumPoster posted:

When I first started hiring I tried giving truthful, non-judgemental, one sentence answers to why we passed if someone asked.

Then >50% of people would reply to my answer with some stupid bullshit.

Now I send them a form rejection and I hear either nothing from them or a "thanks for letting me know."

If a company tells you a reason 90% of the time you can straight up not listen. Its almost always bullshit. Listening is likely harmful as you'll optimize the wrong things.

Yeah, this is really the way to do it. A company/hiring manager really wants to reduce any way the process could somehow backfire on them.

I once was pursuing a pretty desirable (at least in my eyes) role at a notoriously selective company - ended up going through 11 (!) interviews and even went out to dinner with the others who would've been my peers, which was probably one of the most enjoyable and natural business-related meals I can recall. Coming out of that, I'd never felt so confident getting a job as that one.

Four days later the recruiter calls me with appropriately disappointed tone that they really liked me but they were ultimately "going another direction." I was pretty devastated as I've invested a lot of emotional energy in this drat process and was trying to get any feedback I could to make sure I corrected that in the future since I really wanted to work there - sure enough, basically got a form letter back.

In retrospect, there's nothing they could've said that would've made me feel better about not getting it and if anything, I would've tried to strenuously argue why that wasn't the case as CarForumsPoster mentioned. That would've just caused more stress and annoyance from their hiring committee and unnecessary hopes for me that if only I can MAKE THEM SEE THEY WERE WRONG, it would be mine. With a bit of time, I understood why they used boilerplate rejection message because there's no upside to a company with no loyalty to you giving you candid feedback for you to actually improve.

I later learned they went with an internal candidate from another country whose qualifications far exceeded mine so not much I probably could've done to beat that, I was just kinda proud I managed to compete above my station ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

sticksy posted:

I would've tried to strenuously argue why that wasn't the case

Yep. By emailing me how I was wrong they actually entrenched my position that I was right.

After 4 or 5 times of that happening I realized telling them why was a dumb decision because people wouldn't do productive things with my response anyway. Mostly, they'd send me an email telling me I am wrong/a jerk and then continue the behavior I was rejecting them for anyway. Often that behavior was that they seemed like they couldn't handle direct feedback or they'd make bad decisions like this.

If you do get feedback, only reply thank you or say nothing. Then, ignore the feedback. Unless youre positive that its accurate and helpful which is almost always not true.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Krispy Wafer posted:

Don't tell them and say you're as surprised as they are when it happens.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

The only candidates I give honest feedback to when I reject them are interns. And then only if its part of an external internship program that coaches them on how to receive such feedback.

I wish I could give honest feedback, but there's really no point.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I'll sometimes give feedback if it's a very specific thing and after an in-person interview, but even then that's really rare. With decent filtering, phone screening, and such most of the time candidates are rejected because we had someone much better or they were just generally meh. If they list that they are proficient in Python but then get immediately stumped on basic poo poo I'll try to nicely let them know they probably need to get stronger in that area. But again, that's really rare.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

Lockback posted:

They list that they are proficient in Python but then get immediately stumped on basic poo poo

My pet peeve is engineers/coders who list Flask and Django on their resume and I ask them to link me one deployed web app and they’ve got nothing.

There’s literally never been a better opportunity to spend one afternoon to prove you’ve got actual useful skills that can deliver something.

Free tier on heroku, code base on github. You’ll be in the top 25% of my applicants with 6 hours of work.

Mr. BT
Oct 14, 2002
Furloughed from my last job and haven't heard from them about coming back any time soon (based in NYC to boot)... I see postings on Indeed that are remote (not sure why Los Angeles and New York seem to be the only cities hiring).

What are you guys who are furloughed or laid off doing? Is it worth it to keep applying? I'm worried about UI benefits running out in 8 more weeks. Anything about a government extension to those?

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

This is a strange request but I am in desperate need of some sort of financial services cheat sheet, or PDF, or simple video series explaining common financial services stuff.. assets/stocks/bond/prime brokerage. For whatever reason none of this poo poo stays in my brain longer then a few minutes. I think I just fundamentally hate the abstract definitions of everything. Does anyone know of a good resource thats easy to follow along?

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
From a personal finance standpoint, or?

We have a long term investing thread and a newbie finance thread here in BFC. But here is a PDF everyone seems to recommend as a good start:

http://flip4u.org/docs/If%20You%20Can%20Millenials-Bill%20Bernstein.pdf

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

Moneyball posted:

From a personal finance standpoint, or?

We have a long term investing thread and a newbie finance thread here in BFC. But here is a PDF everyone seems to recommend as a good start:

http://flip4u.org/docs/If%20You%20Can%20Millenials-Bill%20Bernstein.pdf

Well actually not in a personal sense, althoughs that's definitely helpful and I appreciate it. What I'm looking for is something in the professional world - for instance I want to apply for software development consulting work at financial services companies and they expect a base level of knowledge of financial workflows, something at a high level I guess. I never know what to search for because there's so much crap out there. I'd love like a financial services for idiots video or something.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

FateFree posted:

Well actually not in a personal sense, althoughs that's definitely helpful and I appreciate it. What I'm looking for is something in the professional world - for instance I want to apply for software development consulting work at financial services companies and they expect a base level of knowledge of financial workflows, something at a high level I guess. I never know what to search for because there's so much crap out there. I'd love like a financial services for idiots video or something.

Read or listen to this book, it is almost exactly for you and will give you a philosophy to parrot making you seem informed. (IMO its also actually a good philosophy) Benjamin Graham is most widely known as the professor that taught Warren Buffet. Its a long haul but if you want to stand out from the crowd listening to this book could easily be worth $1000s of dollars if you get an interview.

https://www.amazon.com/Intelligent-Investor-Definitive-Investing-Essentials/dp/0060555661

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
what is a "financial workflow"

FateFree
Nov 14, 2003

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Who the hell knows, its just what's on the job rec. But I found a decent video series called MoneyWeek on YouTube that explains a lot of things in clear ways so I'm going to run through these and hope for the best. I'm a little too short on time to read the recommended book so I'll have to save that for afterwards.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

As someone who works in finance, uh, I don't know, sounds like somebody put two words together there.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I am guessing "Financial Workflows" means things like "Lifecycle of an M&A deal", "Process for an IPO", "Typical Scheduling for S-Corp and C-Corp taxes", things like that. There's tons of that though, so you might want to focus in on whatever industry specific thing that company does though.

Mr_Schmoo
Dec 10, 2002

A very long time ago, back when Doobie was a thing, there was a guy in SA Mart who provided resume writing assistance. I actually used him and it worked wonderfully (I heard that was impossible). He later lost his mind or left the country or something.

Can anyone recommend a resume writing service for me? I know that I can post it here, but I'd rather work with someone on it directly who can afford the time. It's fairly extensive and I'd like it to be reviewed with a jeweler's lens.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
That dude was very good. IDK if there is a thread approved replacement.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Didn't that end up becoming Resume To Interview? IIRC, the original owner sold it and the new owner represented himself as the old one, and once people found out, it was a huge deal.

There's resumetointerviews.com but for whatever reason I remember it being interview singular

ShadowedFlames
Dec 26, 2009

Shoot this guy in the face.

Fallen Rib

Moneyball posted:

Didn't that end up becoming Resume To Interview? IIRC, the original owner sold it and the new owner represented himself as the old one, and once people found out, it was a huge deal.

There's resumetointerviews.com but for whatever reason I remember it being interview singular

Yeah. I used them apparently right after the original owner sold it off, as the experience I had with that company was nowhere near what I had expected it to be from the reviews. It was about a month later that the change was revealed. I’m not certain how much the service helped me given that I was in a state government clerical-type job for nine years, but they kept wanting to focus on the year I spent before that (entry-level highway maintenance work like snow plowing, grass trimming and litter pickup) as being more marketable.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Xguard86 posted:

That dude was very good. IDK if there is a thread approved replacement.

If there is I haven't seen it. I had my resume done by Resume to Interviews when it was under original ownership and it was more effective then any resume I've had since.

A few years later I went back for a rewrite and their email address kept getting flagged by Gmail as 'known malicious content'. Even after I finally got through it wasn't worth the money.

Whatever secret herbs and spices the original guy had for resume writing he kept to himself.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'm hired pending a background check, but they want me to list previous supervisors as my references. I've been my current company for 8 years, and all of my bosses are still here. I was at my last job for 5 years before that. I don't have that many previous supervisors I can ask. I'm going to have to call my boss from the hoagie shop I worked in during college in 2006/2007.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

FogHelmut posted:

I'm hired pending a background check, but they want me to list previous supervisors as my references. I've been my current company for 8 years, and all of my bosses are still here. I was at my last job for 5 years before that. I don't have that many previous supervisors I can ask. I'm going to have to call my boss from the hoagie shop I worked in during college in 2006/2007.

You can request that they not contact current employers when you give them a list. Include other references that would be appropriate. If you have supervisors from your previous job that should be fine.

TBH, its pretty rare that I bother with references and I don't think anyone is upset if you ask that current employers are not contacted.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Lockback posted:

You can request that they not contact current employers when you give them a list. Include other references that would be appropriate. If you have supervisors from your previous job that should be fine.

TBH, its pretty rare that I bother with references and I don't think anyone is upset if you ask that current employers are not contacted.

Yeah they're not doing that. They're specifically asking for previous supervisors though, and the only one I got from a relevant corporate job was years and years ago.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

Hand over the contact info once you've given your notice? I mean don't be too obvious but a day here and there is usually nbd.

You keep control of the pace without making a thing out of it.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
This is another resume guy in SA mart, he advertises as general writing help but you can see a longtime steady stream of positive 99%-resume-related praise:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2832510

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer
Reminder: double-check your details.

I just got a notice that a set of jobs I applied for had an "incomplete application," even though I would have sword I attached the required resume/cover letter. I went back and looked, and they were there, so I downloaded them just to make sure... I attached the wrong loving cover letter.

Historically, I've used the naming scheme Resume - [My name] and Cover Letter - [My Name] to make things easier on the recruiter, but going forward I think I'm just going to use the job title to make things easier on me (having my cover letters all have the same file name is what enabled this to happen). Kicking myself so loving hard. Applying for a position with local government that I was hella qualified for and had six loving openings.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

Thanatosian posted:

Reminder: double-check your details.

I just got a notice that a set of jobs I applied for had an "incomplete application," even though I would have sword I attached the required resume/cover letter. I went back and looked, and they were there, so I downloaded them just to make sure... I attached the wrong loving cover letter.

Historically, I've used the naming scheme Resume - [My name] and Cover Letter - [My Name] to make things easier on the recruiter, but going forward I think I'm just going to use the job title to make things easier on me (having my cover letters all have the same file name is what enabled this to happen). Kicking myself so loving hard. Applying for a position with local government that I was hella qualified for and had six loving openings.
Keep your name in the file title. I love getting 30x copies of resume.doc every time I post a job.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yeah, but Taleo is designed to gently caress with you.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

How much work are you willing to do to get a job that isn't even all that better than others?

Though I wish I was further along in my career, my current target is in the 60k - 70k range, and in desperate times, high 50s. For the most part, all the roles I've been presented by recruiters are within that range. A few days ago, I was contacted by an internal recruiter for a foundation whose founders may or may not have inspired a meme that if I get any dirt on them, I might end up dead.

It only pays up to the bottom end of my 60k target. They also require an Excel skills test, which I am not at all opposed to. However, the instructions say "This exercise should take 2 - 3 hours" Am I being unreasonable by not wanting to spend my Saturday afternoon on that, considering the lower end pay and that other ones aren't? It's true that I'm desperate for a job right now, but there are better opportunities out there.

:abuela:

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

I'd be careful that the skill test is not in fact a free piece of work. Probably not but you know people can be jerks.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
I hate skills tests, but excel is one thing that tons of people either lie about or wrongly assume they are proficient in. If they manage a lot of data in excel it's probably worth it for them to know you actually know how to use it as a tool instead of just a table display. 3 hours is a lot of time but in covid quarantine terms is it that much of a sink? Give it a shot. And just to be safe you should probably wear a "bernie would have won" t shirt to the interview.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

gamer roomie is 41 posted:

I hate skills tests, but excel is one thing that tons of people either lie about or wrongly assume they are proficient in. If they manage a lot of data in excel it's probably worth it for them to know you actually know how to use it as a tool instead of just a table display. 3 hours is a lot of time but in covid quarantine terms is it that much of a sink? Give it a shot. And just to be safe you should probably wear a "bernie would have won" t shirt to the interview.
I have never been prouder than the time the temp agency asked me to take the computer skills test barrage and the woman stared at my perfect Word and Excel scores (I missed a few on Outlook of all things) and was like "hmm, yes, this should help us find you a job" whoops j/k lol but hey it made me feel good for five minutes. If you do not know how to do simple formulas and pivot tables without even checking the documentation you definitely have no idea what you are doing (not claiming I do, there have to be hundreds of Excel functions I have never used)

But yeah, if you want someone who actually knows how to whip Excel into shape and you have an office like my last team where me freezing the top row of a spreadsheet was seen as astounding, well, yeah, you will notice the difference.

Hey, remember jobs? Those were cool.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Excel skills test? All you need to know is SUM, VLOOKUP and sometimes pivot table. If you know more than that you should be getting paid a lot more than $60K.

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

FogHelmut posted:

Excel skills test? All you need to know is SUM, VLOOKUP and sometimes pivot table. If you know more than that you should be getting paid a lot more than $60K.

Just lol if you’re not using INDEX-MATCH

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaroni Surprise
Nov 13, 2012
I applied to overseas jobs earlier, and got a job interview. I sent my resume to a email box and learned about this agency with 3 offices opening up a 4th and me being part of the opening staff. The interview went very well and the hiring manager seems excited. I have two more interviews lined up with other heads of department. My next one was described by the hiring manager as a "would i grab a beer with this guy" interview. The job is not offering relocation pay and it's a pay cut. Also it doesn't begin for several months so God willing it will allow the airports time to open.

Priority 1 for me is not to complain or mention the pay at all until an offer has been made. Because of the nature of the next meeting ill try to be genuine and relaxed. Anything else I should focus on as I move forward with this company?