Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

it's in the mighty hands of steel
Fun Shoe

redreader posted:

I just saw the scene in s2 of the henchmen being reactivated and doing the dun dun dun dun music, and it's so loving good

That's "Mars, the Bringer of War," the first movement in Holst's The Planets. It's one of my favorites because, I mean, come on--a bona fide march in 5/4 time? Who does that?

At the end of the episode where they're rebuilding the cocoon, the music you hear when all the villains show up to help is also from that suite: "Jupiter, the Bringer of Jollity." That's probably one of my favorite movements from the whole thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I don't know if my favorite music moment in the series is the beginning of season 2 with Everybody's Free or the end of Operation PROM with Like A Friend. I think Pulp might barely edge it out.

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

That's a funny way to spell Crashtest Dummies

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

redreader posted:

I just saw the scene in s2 of the henchmen being reactivated and doing the dun dun dun dun music, and it's so loving good
I watch that scene when I need to cheer myself up. It’s got that rare mix of “hilarious” and “pumps you up”.

Havoc904 posted:

I don't know if my favorite music moment in the series is the beginning of season 2 with Everybody's Free or the end of Operation PROM with Like A Friend. I think Pulp might barely edge it out.

That scene introduced me to that song and Pulp in general. Both now favorites, especially if I’m blasted.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

24 driving up and going DAAAAAHHHH DAAAAH DAAAAAAAAHHHH on cue is my all time high

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Data Graham posted:

24 driving up and going DAAAAAHHHH DAAAAH DAAAAAAAAHHHH on cue is my all time high

The horn honking in sequence is really drat good, too.

I had to pull it up again because it really is so good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0iTfasIpLc

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
Everything about that cold open is good.

• The reveal of what Gary does when he's not out Twenty-One-ing: living with his mom, selling comics out of his bedroom.
  • Monarch's reveal, in full Prison Expedient Costume
  • The cocoon is sideways! The first season premiere is so good that I had forgotten that they henchmen did everything on Monarch's list, including destroying the cocoon.
  • The looks on the henchmen's faces when Monarch starts dictating orders
  • "Be outside! I don't wanna have to talk to your mom."
  • One of my favorite moments that would have made the sequence great if it had ended here: the Monarch slams the phone down, which falls because everything is sideways. Then he tries to climb up, but he falls, landing on a door... which then opens, causing him to fall down the hallway, into the darkness. I love the thought that he probably went through 3 or 4 doors before the shape of the hallway gave him something to grip.
  • The Batman-ish ritual Twenty-One goes through to suit up, including all of the Mars singing-a-long. Just so ridiculous.
  • Twenty-Four pulling up, singing the melody, right on cue.
  • And the hilariously epic moment is subverted when the dog jump in because it's a dog and it doesn't get the gravity of the situation.

It's perfect. And, this is the first time we see the proper Season 2 title sequence. I miss the title sequences, because the first episode was always different than the rest of the episodes', and I thought that was pretty cool.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

tarlibone posted:

[*]One of my favorite moments that would have made the sequence great if it had ended here: the Monarch slams the phone down, which falls because everything is sideways. Then he tries to climb up, but he falls, landing on a door... which then opens, causing him to fall down the hallway, into the darkness. I love the thought that he probably went through 3 or 4 doors before the shape of the hallway gave him something to grip.

Best of all from a comic-delivery standpoint is that he's falling SILENTLY and WORDLESSLY into the abyss. If he were screaming in terror as he fell it wouldn't be anywhere near as funny as how apparently what's going through his head is "oh for gently caress'S sake".

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe

Data Graham posted:

Best of all from a comic-delivery standpoint is that he's falling SILENTLY and WORDLESSLY into the abyss. If he were screaming in terror as he fell it wouldn't be anywhere near as funny as how apparently what's going through his head is "oh for gently caress'S sake".

I hadn't thought about that, but you're right.

Also, I think that "OH FOR gently caress'S SAKE" is going to be the epitaph on Monarch's and Doc's tombstones.

What does Hank want on his? Pepperoni.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Data Graham posted:

He pretty much got the cussing out the way climbing to the phone in his sideways command room. The Monarch does his best to roll with the punches in that season.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Is there a season finale that doesn’t involve The Monarch having a really bad time? He’s in jail for S1, his wedding gets attacked in S2, his power armor makes him barf in S3 followed by one of his best henchmen dying, S4 has 21 quit on him, S6 has him kidnapped and S7 has him find out his archenemy is his brother. I think he may avoid that with S5 but I don’t really remember that finale.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Is there a season finale that doesn’t involve The Monarch having a really bad time? He’s in jail for S1, his wedding gets attacked in S2, his power armor makes him barf in S3 followed by one of his best henchmen dying, S4 has 21 quit on him, S6 has him kidnapped and S7 has him find out his archenemy is his brother. I think he may avoid that with S5 but I don’t really remember that finale.

That one ended with his Cocoon and house destroyed as well as all his Henchmen except 21 being dead

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

drrockso20 posted:

That one ended with his Cocoon and house destroyed as well as all his Henchmen except 21 being dead

Ohhh, right.

Man, I didn’t realize it until now but he really always gets hosed in the season enders, drat.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

The Monarch has a bad time just in general.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
That’s why he works so well. Yeah, he’s a villain but you root for him to succeed so the poor guy can catch a break. One of my favorite parts of season 5 is when him and venture are talking about how messed up their lives are.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I also consider the scene of the Monarch emerging from the sewer pipe after his prison escape to be part of the same cavalcade of amazing comedic moments.

“Oh thank god! I thought the whole plan went down the — WAT.”

That was an ATHF-grade (or Ghosts of the Sargasso grade) smash-cut-to-credits moment right there.

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Fun Shoe
I think one of ny favorite things to happen right before the smash cut to credits was in "Perchance to Dean," when the deformed Dean clone hugs one of Hatred's fake Docs, which explodes. Doc sees just the explosion and asks, "Who the gently caress was that?" And then Thirlwell kicks in.

Deformed Dean and Doc spent the whole episode unaware of each other's activities, and that problem took care of itself.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Perchance to Dean is the only episode of the show I skip. It's just too dang sad.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Yeah not a favorite of mine - after season 1 I usually skip assassinanny 911, Dr quymn, state dinner, and that one.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Perchance to Dean has the prog rock opening, though, which is top-tier.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
FLOYD HOLE

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ft_Jh3NpdGU

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I'm not the biggest fan of Guess Whose Coming to State Dinner? either, but it is worth it for the ending of Ghost Lincoln cheekily saying "penny for his thoughts?".

I could pretty much just take Ghost Lincoln from that episode and leave most other things.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Havoc904 posted:

I'm not the biggest fan of Guess Whose Coming to State Dinner? either, but it is worth it for the ending of Ghost Lincoln cheekily saying "penny for his thoughts?".

I could pretty much just take Ghost Lincoln from that episode and leave most other things.

I feel like I’m the only one that really likes that episode, even in the art book Hammer and Publick just talk about why they think it didn’t work for like two pages.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Yeah not a favorite of mine - after season 1 I usually skip assassinanny 911, Dr quymn, state dinner, and that one.

I skip Doctor Quymn too sometimes, something about it just really doesn’t work for me. I usually skip What Color is your Cleansuit but I actually watched it on my latest rewatch and it was better than I remember but man it would be better without Aziz voicing a character.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
He has like 5 lines in one of the series' best episodes.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

yeah, come on, how could anyone skip this one. floyd hole :hmbol:

plus it's where you learn Dean's namesake.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

feedmyleg posted:

He has like 5 lines in one of the series' best episodes.

Yeah, but anything with Aziz in it would be better if he wasn’t in it. He’s like Jason Mantzoukas where he shows up in everything and always annoys me when he does.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Yeah, but anything with Aziz in it would be better if he wasn’t in it. He’s like Jason Mantzoukas where he shows up in everything and always annoys me when he does.

Mantzoukas' best parts were in John Wick 3 and that one episode of HarmonQuest.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747
Past Tense or Brisby are the biggest skips when we include Season 1, and continue to disclude the pilot, right?

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

is "FLOYD HOLE" a pun because if so I missed it :confused:

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I think it's just that he's fallen into a hole of pink floyd and wasn't ready for it. The only episode I really don't like is the one where they crash in Unterland. Mostly because I don't like when people are trapped in lovely situations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It was side two of dark side of the moon. Dean simply wasn't ready.

the joke is he's in a k-hole

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

FBS posted:

is "FLOYD HOLE" a pun because if so I missed it :confused:

It’s like a K-hole but with Pink Floyd instead of Ketamine.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Daikloktos posted:

Past Tense or Brisby are the biggest skips when we include Season 1, and continue to disclude the pilot, right?

One thing I always appreciate about the Brisby episode is that in making a villainous expy of Walt Disney they didn't go the lazy way like a lot of shows would and have him be a racist and/or antisemitic(which have no real basis) and instead had Brisby's nefarious aspects be based on Walt's actual flaws but magnified to the extent the role needed

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

It’s like a K-hole but with Pink Floyd instead of Ketamine.

That's it, I wasn't familiar with the term K-hole. Thanks thread!

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

How many Yaz albums do you have on this thing?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Havoc904 posted:

There's some small elements of gay panic that really age that episode much like the show's early use of the R-slur.

And in an episode that's already weighed down by Bud Manstrong, you can't really afford many more mistakes.

SadBag
Jun 24, 2012

Something has gone very wrong for us to get to the point where Hot Dog is the admiral.

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

How many Yaz albums do you have on this thing?

Two? I dunno, does Ward seem to be the type to have compilation albums when he already has the actual albums?

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

drrockso20 posted:

One thing I always appreciate about the Brisby episode is that in making a villainous expy of Walt Disney they didn't go the lazy way like a lot of shows would and have him be a racist and/or antisemitic(which have no real basis)
There's definitely a basis, and I'm deeply suspicious of people who pop up on the internet to proclaim anything or anybody to be "not racist," because said folks literally always have an axe to grind.

Have you ever been to Epcot? That poo poo is still comically racist. It is loving shocking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nonexistence
Jan 6, 2014
Ok, I'll bite. I only have a vague conceptual understanding of what epcot is - how is it racist?