Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Proteus Jones posted:

What? No, he was supposed to die in the "last stand" fight but he didn't. Zack is alive but in a different timeline.

In the original Zack fought off a bunch of guys and then picked up Cloud and started walking, just like we see in the game. Then some more guys come and shoot him to death.

Now if there's something more to it then that then sure, but the cutscene in the remake could be doing the same thing but without the end part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowman
Feb 14, 2006

Beware the Cow

I beat this the other day and what the gently caress was that ending?! It wasn't bad but it explained nothing and felt shoehorned in to be honest. I mean there can't really be an ending because it's the first part of three or whatever but it's still just kind of there.

Aerith talk was quite a few pages back but she legit reminded me of a woman I knew in college. Really was one of my closest friends back then.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Momomo posted:

In the original Zack fought off a bunch of guys and then picked up Cloud and started walking, just like we see in the game. Then some more guys come and shoot him to death.

Now if there's something more to it then that then sure, but the cutscene in the remake could be doing the same thing but without the end part.

I suppose, but this is a pointless argument since the directors have confirmed that Zack is still alive.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Gologle posted:

Yes, that's a plot point in Crisis Core itself.

Even so because of President Shinra's poo poo talking people were wondering if that's been revised or something. Apparently not and the Pres. was either being an rear end or just didn't realize Cloud was a special case.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Proteus Jones posted:

I suppose, but this is a pointless argument since the directors have confirmed that Zack is still alive.

have they?

there's that statement where they say something like "a certain character being alive", which a lot of people took to mean Zack. But they later go on to talk explicitly about Biggs being alive, and I haven't seen anything they've said where they actually mention Zack being alive. Unless there's something I've missed it seems like they've clarified that Biggs is definitely alive but Zack is still a bit of a mystery.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

the intent of that scene is very clearly to show that zack is alive, i dont know how you could read that any other way

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
In the original FFVII and Crisis Core Zack gets got, and then it starts raining as he dies. In this version he's on his feet and walking as it rains. He's not dead, wherever he is, because the fight that would have killed him is already over.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
So I've done my grinding of all my materia in the colosseum for the Pride and Joy VR fight, I went with the build someone suggested the other day which was headbands on tifa and cloud and ice elemental on armour to trivialise Shiva I guess, then pretty standard MP UP, HP UP on everyone. It went pretty alright until Bahamut who is the actual tough part but with Ifrit just pouring on the damage it was impossible to get off the backfoot. I had Ifrit nearly dead when the first megaflare went off but that killed everyone bar Aerith because of reprieve. I'd misjudged when to cast the max level barrier so they'd ran out just before this I think but I was just finding it impossible to get the ATB/time and like, positioning to cast them or get anything off.

All the videos I can find on youtube are like the crazy speedrun ones mostly and I don't have the mechanical skill to do that poo poo really. So anyone able to give tips or alternate strategies maybe? I guess I could try elemental fire on the armour to make Ifrit into free healing but then I bet I'd have trouble with Shiva.

Werewolf of London
Feb 23, 2010

Not one step back
From my loooove~~

sharrrk posted:

the intent of that scene is very clearly to show that zack is alive, i dont know how you could read that any other way

I read it as that Zack will die later. Because in the original, doesn't Zack carry Cloud, and then he dies when more soldiers show up and shoot him? I never played any of the spinoffs so....

Still, I think the ending of the remake is to get rid of all the influences of the spinoff FF7 games, so the creative team has a full clean slate to do anything they want, like more Honeybee Inn.

EDIT:

I mentioned before to use Elemental + Fire on two of the armors. When Ifrit is summoned he will begin healing your characters while you focus on Bahamut. It made the fight a lot easier and I killed Pride and Joy on my first try.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Werewolf of London posted:

I mentioned before to use Elemental + Fire on two of the armors. When Ifrit is summoned he will begin healing your characters while you focus on Bahamut. It made the fight a lot easier and I killed Pride and Joy on my first try.

Yeah, I'll give that a go tomorrow. It's pretty late now. I have pretty much all of the materia maxed out now so can give that a go. I know it's a boss rush and this would defeat the point but I wish they'd just let me practice the Bahamut part. If I fail again, going through the first 3 fights is going to be a real slog for a third attempt.

Werewolf of London
Feb 23, 2010

Not one step back
From my loooove~~
I used Cloud, Barret, Aerith. Using Hardedge, Big Bertha, Mythril Staff.

Cloud is using a ton of ATB materia and everyone has Steadfast Block.

Barret uses Prayer, Steelskin, Lifesaver. Cast a Regen on him.

Aerith is a healer and the Arcane Ward with Firaga helps stagger Shiva really easily, so no need for Headbands.

Good luck man, just enjoy the feeling of going through that fight the first time through.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I read it as that Zack will die later. Because in the original, doesn't Zack carry Cloud, and then he dies when more soldiers show up and shoot him? I never played any of the spinoffs so....

They show a Zack scene as part of the "this is Destined Timeline" montage, and then the ending shows the aftermath of that scene specifically with a different Stamp.

That event has been changed and I don't think "Zack died but just a little later" would be significant enough to highlight in the ending

Werewolf of London
Feb 23, 2010

Not one step back
From my loooove~~
I guess I just saw that scene as a flashback the first time I saw it. Once I read the theories online i watched it again and thought it was still alluding to him dying later as opposed to him being alive. Maybe because it makes no sense to have him live as Cloud needed his death to progress. But who knows?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

They made sure to show the Whispers floating around the scene where he's supposed to die (complete with the same dialog as Crisis Core) and then surprise, when the Whispers go away it turns out he lives. That's not where he dies in the original, sure, but they used the version of the scene right out of Crisis Core, and that's where he dies in Crisis Core.

They also make a big deal of showing us that Stamp is a different breed of dog, indicating that it's either an alternate timeline or the past has been significantly retconned by the removal of the Whispers.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

Still, I think the ending of the remake is to get rid of all the influences of the spinoff FF7 games, so the creative team has a full clean slate to do anything they want, like more Honeybee Inn.

I feel like you're going to be very disappointed as these games progress, considering in one of the interviews Nomura specifically said that this was originally supposed to tie all the various bits of the Compilation together, not dump them. In fact, if we take Nomura's words as truth, and the remake was first planned around the time the rest of the spinoffs were happening in the mid 2000's, then this game would probably be Square's longest game in "development". Not that the game has been in actual development for that long, but that the idea of the game has been floating around for nearly 15 years in Square-Enix before it actually released.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Gologle posted:

I feel like you're going to be very disappointed as these games progress, considering in one of the interviews Nomura specifically said that this was originally supposed to tie all the various bits of the Compilation together, not dump them. In fact, if we take Nomura's words as truth, and the remake was first planned around the time the rest of the spinoffs were happening in the mid 2000's, then this game would probably be Square's longest game in "development". Not that the game has been in actual development for that long, but that the idea of the game has been floating around for nearly 15 years in Square-Enix before it actually released.

Also, this game is probably the reason why they rereleased Advent Children as a "complete" edition, with newer scenes that would probably tie into the remake.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Aerith's mom met Zack right? She must have been insanely confused when her daughter showed up at home with another of the world's like 5 total Soldier First Class dudes who is also carrying the last dude's sword.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Aerith's mom met Zack right? She must have been insanely confused when her daughter showed up at home with another of the world's like 5 total Soldier First Class dudes who is also carrying the last dude's sword.

look at it this way, Zack dies and returns to the planet

Zack becomes materia

Zack is slotted into the buster sword

aerith can still hang out with Zack/firaga

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
people complaining about not knowing what materia to bring into any particular battle confuse me because you can literally just restart any of them right away once you see "oh, these robots are using electric attacks. maybe I should slot for elemental armour with lightning". like you can keep grinding against it if you want, but if it bothers you, just take the ten seconds to restart and change your materia equips

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

morallyobjected posted:

people complaining about not knowing what materia to bring into any particular battle confuse me because you can literally just restart any of them right away once you see "oh, these robots are using electric attacks. maybe I should slot for elemental armour with lightning". like you can keep grinding against it if you want, but if it bothers you, just take the ten seconds to restart and change your materia equips

The only one that's a PITA for is the Top Secret VR mission. Wiping to Bahamut/Ifrit tag team means you have to start all over at stage 1 of the mission. I can see people being put out by that.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I ended up being too lazy to maintain optimal junctions in Ch. 17. I was annoyed that Barret was the first to rejoin you and I didn't know so we entered into combat without him having anything equipped but I just brute-forced it.

The hold square to menu option is useful but they don't really directly explain it in game. Just a quality of life thing to think about for part two especially as the party expands

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

morallyobjected posted:

Sure but for the simulator challenges that means restarting from the beginning, and when you're on stage 4 of a 5-stage fight, that's kind of annoying. Not the end of the world by any means but it's still wasted time.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

It's annoying to shift around Materia on a per-encounter basis when Hard mode basically demands it and there are only 1-2 of the most valuable types. They should have a preset option given how often characters swap in and out of the party.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Yeah it really needed like materia templates you could set up and switch between easily.

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

Sea Lily posted:

and fall in love

As if his heart could belong to anyone other than his true love: his motorcycle.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Hizawk posted:

The only part of the game that sucked was switching back and forth between the parties and reqequipping all the good leveled materia because I diddnt have enough to deck out all four party members.

Honestly, it's probably better for your time and sanity to just embrace using the bad level materia and only switch for super rare things like Elemental and Magnify. I mean, you should hardly ever be using Firaga anyway.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

There's a nice little Easter Egg of bonus dialogue if you try going down levels during the Shinra Building stairs scene. Love how much the devs packed into this game:

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1259374562652741633

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

The one question that never got answered was if Cloud's dancing skills were thanks to the power of Zack Fair or if that was something he had in him the entire time.

Zack can boogie but I'm a fairweather fan who only knows about Cloud from this and Kingdom Hearts. I read an LP of the original game, I didn't even play it myself so I dunno.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BitterBlackandwhiteArrowworm-mobile.mp4

Werewolf of London
Feb 23, 2010

Not one step back
From my loooove~~

Gologle posted:

Highly doubt that if it ties everything together, there will not be a ton of blowback. We will see though. If it is anything like the remake, I can stand chapters 1 to 16 being awesome and 17 to 18 being.... well....

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

RareAcumen posted:

The one question that never got answered was if Cloud's dancing skills were thanks to the power of Zack Fair or if that was something he had in him the entire time.

Zack can boogie but I'm a fairweather fan who only knows about Cloud from this and Kingdom Hearts. I read an LP of the original game, I didn't even play it myself so I dunno.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/BitterBlackandwhiteArrowworm-mobile.mp4

https://twitter.com/TifaTheMonk/status/1259122726939144192

Would like a source on this, but Zack definitely would have helped Cloud train for it ahead of time if true.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Aside from the mobility and flexibilty benefits, SOLDIERS are also a PR symbol and must therefore be fine in high society at least for a little while. It adds up.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 15:12 on May 10, 2020

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
I only have one brain cell, so I can only think SEPHIROTH DANCE MINI GAME AT THE GOLDEN SAUCER.

I was literally just reminded that Sephiroth hung out at the Golden Saucer and had a normal-rear end interaction with Dio. He just loving decided to go to Disney World to ask around about the Black Materia. I love this game.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

BaDandy posted:

I only have one brain cell, so I can only think SEPHIROTH DANCE MINI GAME AT THE GOLDEN SAUCER.

I was literally just reminded that Sephiroth hung out at the Golden Saucer and had a normal-rear end interaction with Dio. He just loving decided to go to Disney World to ask around about the Black Materia. I love this game.

Sephiroth didn't go to the Gold Saucer, that was a Sephiroth Clone. Reminder that in North Corel he's described by one of the residents as a "young man around your (Cloud's) age" and he had a tattoo on the back of his hand.

EDIT - Also something rather chilling, the two children in one of the houses in Nibelheim in Cloud's flashback, the boy repeats (or rather, tries to) everything his sister says. When you visit Nibelheim, upstairs in one of the houses there are two miniature Sephiroth Clones...

Dell_Zincht fucked around with this message at 16:07 on May 10, 2020

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just watched a stream of 7OG that got to Nibelheim, and maybe I missed it but if you don't have Tifa in your party you can really get through that whole place without her saying anything about it? Does Tifa say anything if she is in there?

In the OG character interaction is basically zero until it's "their" story section. Since that was the best part of the remake I'm looking forward to seeing how they're gonna handle that with everyone

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Dell_Zincht posted:

Sephiroth didn't go to the Gold Saucer, that was a Sephiroth Clone. Reminder that in North Corel he's described by one of the residents as a "young man around your (Cloud's) age" and he had a tattoo on the back of his hand.

Oh that's right. :doh:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I just watched a stream of 7OG that got to Nibelheim, and maybe I missed it but if you don't have Tifa in your party you can really get through that whole place without her saying anything about it? Does Tifa say anything if she is in there?

In the OG character interaction is basically zero until it's "their" story section. Since that was the best part of the remake I'm looking forward to seeing how they're gonna handle that with everyone

Yeah, Tifa is absolutely just as confused as Cloud is iirc.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

http://letao.is-a-geek.net/ff7script/part11.html#sx4

She doesn't really say anything particularly interesting, she's just confused like Cloud.

A fun thing you can do though is not recruit Yuffie until Tifa becomes party leader. If you do that Yuffie calls her "Boobs" lol

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Dell_Zincht posted:

http://letao.is-a-geek.net/ff7script/part11.html#sx4

She doesn't really say anything particularly interesting, she's just confused like Cloud.

A fun thing you can do though is not recruit Yuffie until Tifa becomes party leader. If you do that Yuffie calls her "Boobs" lol

Cid gets called a 'cranky-legged old man' if you wait til him. Oh the days where I had that kind of time to devote to a video game...

I'm expecting that Tifa's reaction to Nibelheim will be expanded in the remake. I thought the original was lame because about the most she said was one or two lines about 'Everything looks the same...'

I'd expect her to freak the gently caress out at realizing the black cloaks are her old friends and neighbors and that if Zangan hadn't carried her to safety, she'd be one too.

Amarcarts
Feb 21, 2007

This looks a lot like suffering.
Spoiler alert the quality control guy for textures should probably seppuku. The environments sometimes look like an early PS3 game.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Amarcarts posted:

Spoiler alert the quality control guy for textures should probably seppuku. The environments sometimes look like an early PS3 game.

some of the textures are a result of an unreal engine bug where it fails to load the close-up high res textures for things

midgar.jpg was pretty jarring in some shots, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Beat the VR mission thanks to Werewolf of Londons patented "elemental fire on armour and then bathe in Ifrits healing beams" plan and then smashed through the rest of the game on hard. The pain points for me were hell house for a bit and then even with the ultimate accessory the rush of whisper fights at the end got a bit annoying, Cloud got knocked out of ascension 4 times in the windup and then Bahamut did megaflare about 2 seconds after he appeared which was unfortunate.