Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

take boat
Jul 8, 2006
boat: TAKEN

E-flat posted:

Oh, yes, no question to that, hell, I've done that--my incredulity was towards the 'get to level 80 by the end of the second week of the game'. When you upgrade you take an entire day out of commission, plus the rest of the day you give Clint the pickaxe to upgrade. You also start off with pretty horrendous energy reserves, and even like 15 or however many spring onions will spawn won't bring you back terribly much. It just seems highly unlikely to get so lucky to skip so much. I basically upgraded my pickaxe as soon as I've been able to so I can't say how many times it takes to break rocks in the deeper levels but even keeping pace it's been enough to be annoying.

I truly don't think you have to be that lucky or skilled, certainly nothing speed-runner like. you have to focus on mining starting on the 5th, averaging 10 levels a day will get you there by the 13th, which doesn't seem too crazy. I took notes on my last farm, I hit floor 80 on Day 10 and unlocked the minecarts on Day 12. I waited to upgrade the pickaxe until the 12th, that would not be easy to do before. the only trick I used was passing out in the mines most nights (and keeping a low gold balance to avoid the fees). maybe I got lucky...

anyway if the second week is a stretch, the third week is still great and even more doable :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

E-flat
Jun 22, 2007

3-flat

take boat posted:

I truly don't think you have to be that lucky or skilled, certainly nothing speed-runner like. you have to focus on mining starting on the 5th, averaging 10 levels a day will get you there by the 13th, which doesn't seem too crazy. I took notes on my last farm, I hit floor 80 on Day 10 and unlocked the minecarts on Day 12. I waited to upgrade the pickaxe until the 12th, that would not be easy to do before. the only trick I used was passing out in the mines most nights (and keeping a low gold balance to avoid the fees). maybe I got lucky...

anyway if the second week is a stretch, the third week is still great and even more doable :discourse:

:aaaaa: how many hits would it take to break rocks once you got down to 80?? How did you last energy-wise?

I have so many questions for you you don’t even know

E-flat fucked around with this message at 02:54 on May 10, 2020

Unclouded
Jul 14, 2012

I've seen some speedruns of the game and one of the common ways to keep up energy is to use your starting 15 parsnips as energy. So instead of selling your crops you use them as ways to restore energy. Going on good luck days also increases the chance for free ladders and enemies dropping ladders so there's less need for energy to break rocks as well. The point is to get to level 80 because that's when the rocks start getting increasingly harder, but at level 80 you can get all the drops you need to complete the mine carts bundle.

Personally, I'm happy to get to level 80 in the mines by the summer as going all in on the mines can leave you with little money for strawberries.

Guildenstern Mother
Mar 31, 2010

Why walk when you can ride?
Don't worry about ore or enemies or loot, just Go Down. Try for 5 levels per day, 10 if its lucky. Eat dandelions, leeks, and field snacks, and once you can salmon berries. I can usually skip a few days and still get to 80 by summer1. Of course at the same time its critical to be planting enough parsnips (only parsnips except for one of what you need for spring crops bundle) to get your farming level up to 6(? that sounds right) to be able to build quality sprinklers. Once you're at 80 you can stop on whatever floor you need for whatever you need. Maybe upgrade your pickaxe if for some reason you have extra money, although I usually focus on the axe first for secret woods.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I'm just starting summer 1 of a 4 corners farm and I plan to dedicate the bottom left corner to planting, bottom right to animals, top left to a "managed wilderness" (trees, bees etc) and the corner by the farmhouse will be my formal garden.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
One of the pro gamer tricks for mine diving is to look for the ‘stone ore’ rocks - that is, the gray, oblong rocks that always drop 2 stone when you break them. They stay the same durability all the way down to the end of the mines, so you can be on level 70 and still be able to navigate a rock maze with a few hits from the level 1 pick.

There’s other stuff you can do, like make certain you kill duggies for early cherry bombs, which become crucial for breaking rock blockades in the ice levels. You can also prioritize good luck days, and simply be willing to burn 99 stone on a stairwell if you don’t immediately see a way forward on any level that ends with a 4 or a 9. I can go on if requested, but really it’s about knowing how to extract maximum value out of your surroundings and getting it every step of the way.

That said, end of week two for level 80 is pretty intense even by my standards. A couple of the hard diving techniques, imo, miss the forest for the trees. The stairwell tactic, especially, is one of those things that absolutely can make you progress moderately faster, but ignores the fact that stone is in serious demand when doing initial builds and is rather time consuming to come by. Burning 500 stone early on in a hard dive of the mines could end up setting you back quite a bit more than a week when doing something like building preserves jars later. Id probably try to hit 80 in the mines by the end of week 3. That gives you the benefit of salmonberry season (and, therefore, a lot of leeway with energy) while still getting a week to plan your summer launch.

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

cakesmith handyman posted:

I'm just starting summer 1 of a 4 corners farm and I plan to dedicate the bottom left corner to planting, bottom right to animals, top left to a "managed wilderness" (trees, bees etc) and the corner by the farmhouse will be my formal garden.

I’m on four corners too and these are some good ideas. I also have top left as a huge forest currently.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

So a thing I found out recently.

Caroline taught me to make tea saplings and thus tea. I miscounted open spaces in my greenhouse and wound up making extra tea tree saplings. Fine, I'll just sell em, I figure. They uh, sell for 500 g each and are made out of wood, plant fiber and any seasonal forage seed packs.

So I just made 72k in a day by using up my plant fiber....

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You'll make a lot more money filling a shed with tea saplings in garden pots, if you have the clay and quartz to spare.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
The orchestral recording of some of the Stardew soundtrack has 48 hours left on Kickstarter. They're near a stretch goal for a full/complete album (the details for what that means are unclear).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vgmclassics/stardew-valley-an-orchestral-cd-cd/

Concerned Ape has tweeted about it a few times so it's definitely a blessed project!

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012
I used tea bushes in place of fencing on my farm, mostly for aesthetic reasons but also because the bushes won't decay, and even without the week of harvest in winter I am up to my rear end in tea leaves. I've placed a single stone wall on either side of each gate to keep it aligned.
To harvest, I'll just hold A and run along the hedgerows, it's satisfying.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Lord Awkward posted:

I used tea bushes in place of fencing on my farm, mostly for aesthetic reasons but also because the bushes won't decay, and even without the week of harvest in winter I am up to my rear end in tea leaves. I've placed a single stone wall on either side of each gate to keep it aligned.
To harvest, I'll just hold A and run along the hedgerows, it's satisfying.

I prefer lightning rods for fencing. You need a lot of them to prevent storm damage anyways. Lightning rods are also easier to move and allow you to plant grass under them so your animals eat less hay during the non-winter months.

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Less pleasing to the eye, though.

That being said, I think batteries are one of the only truly limited not infinite materials in the game and they sell pretty well if you're done with em.

Also, stop telling people to fish if they're min maxing for cash. Not after the mines open, anyway. Goes doubly for multiplayer.

Eating early produce is a good idea for energy before salmonberries. I tend to keep all my silvers for that kinda thing. Also consider making snacks from tree seeds for a little while.

Also don't forget, if you're milking the mines for resources, don't hit lvl 120 until you're ready you go to the skull mines. Makes the monsters harder.

ILL Machina fucked around with this message at 17:52 on May 10, 2020

Lord Awkward
Feb 16, 2012

LLSix posted:

Lightning rods are also easier to move and allow you to plant grass under them so your animals eat less hay during the non-winter months.

This is a fair point, though I've set aside a pretty large field of grass for animals and it seems to be enough for now. Could probably do a double wall with one side stone with grass starter under it, or scatter some rods/grass starter in the field.

Jack Daniels
Nov 14, 2002

ILL Machina posted:

Also, stop telling people to fish if they're min maxing for cash. Not after the mines open, anyway. Goes doubly for multiplayer.

Thank god someone pointing this out.... sorry Fishign Crew but no, just no :redass:

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Poque posted:

The orchestral recording of some of the Stardew soundtrack has 48 hours left on Kickstarter. They're near a stretch goal for a full/complete album (the details for what that means are unclear).

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/vgmclassics/stardew-valley-an-orchestral-cd-cd/

Concerned Ape has tweeted about it a few times so it's definitely a blessed project!

Thanks for the reminder, backed this

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

take boat posted:

if you search for 'stardew min/max' you'll find some good guides online. the main constraints early on are making enough money, mining enough ore, and upgrading your tools. you'll be constantly short on energy, so foraging is key. fishing is a great path to early money in spring. by summer you should have enough sprinklers to go big with blueberries/melons/hops, which solves your money problems for the year

the greenhouse is gated by the fall crop bundle, which is gated by when you can grow your first pumpkin. (Speed-gro saves a few days there). you need to also complete the animal and artisan bundles by then, which requires a big barn, a big coop, and a fruit tree or two unless you pick the fruit cave

one tip, it's very doable to unlock the mine carts during your second week in spring. all you need is to reach floor 80 on the mines to get the gold and fire quartz, or luck out with fishing chests

Cool. Thanks.

Questions:
1) There are multiple maps, now? How many? Do they add anything?
2) Is the milking machine still the only automation for daily drudgery tasks?

Edit: Too late. I bought it.

Veni Vidi Ameche! fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 11, 2020

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

Cool. Thanks.

Questions:
2) Is the milking machine still the only automation for daily drudgery tasks?

Edit: Too late. I bought it.

There are some endgame auto harvesters and there is the Automate mod. Hope you got it on PC. Welcome <3 You did the right thing.

Radiation Cow
Oct 23, 2010

Most mods also work on Android. And you can transfer saves between Android and PC as well.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Standard Farm (Farming): Perk: poo poo-ton of wide-open space to do whatever you want with, most usable room for any crops, buildings, or other customization. (This is the original farm map.)
Riverland Farm (Fishing): Perk: Tons of coastline for crab pots. Would be better if different parts of the map had different fish populations (ocean here, mountain there, etc.) but it all counts as river.
Forest Farm (Foraging): Perk: 8 daily-renewable hardwood stumps (like secret woods), forage items spawn here, unique variety of weed that always drops mixed seeds.
Hilltop Farm (Mining): Perk: Quarry-like area with stones / ore / geodes that scale to your mining skill.
Wilderness Farm (Combat): Perk: Monsters spawn on the farm after midnight. You can eventually disable this late-game (or enable it for other map types).

And the most recent...

Four Corners Farm (Multiplayer): Perk: Farm divided into four quadrants with minor benefits from several of the above; NW has a single hardwood stump, SW has a larger lake, SE has a mini quarry.

They also all have different layouts - riverland, forest, and hilltop are most restrictive in where you can place what around the baseline terrain, while the other three (standard in particular) have wide swathes of consecutive open ground.

Vil fucked around with this message at 21:15 on May 11, 2020

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
Viridian: -- Dies in Skull Cavern, wakes up in Harvey's clinic.
Harvey: "Whoa, be careful next time, had to do some emergency surgery on you--"
Viridian: "Hey, I'm missing a few slimes, a bit of solar essence, my Lava Katan and -- ! My 170 doses of Triple Shot Espresso!" (Quaffs Life Potion, runs out the door and off to the adventurers guild.)

Adventurer's Guildmaster. "Hmm, yes, I see . Well, let's see what we can find... Triple Shot Espresso, that'll be 29000G, but obviously you'll want your--"

Viridian: "Shut up and take my money. I can buy another Lava Katana. GET ME BACK MY COFFEE."

Though to be fair, I had no business carting my entire stack of Espresso into the dungeon, I was just in a hurry in the morning.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
I made a special adventuring box so I could drop off my poo poo and get to adventuring within seconds of getting up.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

riiiiiight, harvey - the man who loves coffee - found you and you just so happened to have lost all your espresso

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

ILL Machina posted:

There are some endgame auto harvesters and there is the Automate mod. Hope you got it on PC. Welcome <3 You did the right thing.

Thank you. I bought it for PS4, but I actually already have it for PC. I have something stupid like 300 hours on the PC version, but I need to be able to play from bed while I’m furloughed.

Vil posted:

Standard Farm (Farming): Perk: poo poo-ton of wide-open space to do whatever you want with, most usable room for any crops, buildings, or other customization. (This is the original farm map.)
Riverland Farm (Fishing): Perk: Tons of coastline for crab pots. Would be better if different parts of the map had different fish populations (ocean here, mountain there, etc.) but it all counts as river.
Forest Farm (Foraging): Perk: 8 daily-renewable hardwood stumps (like secret woods), forage items spawn here, unique variety of weed that always drops mixed seeds.
Hilltop Farm (Mining): Perk: Quarry-like area with stones / ore / geodes that scale to your mining skill.
Wilderness Farm (Combat): Perk: Monsters spawn on the farm after midnight. You can eventually disable this late-game (or enable it for other map types).

And the most recent...

Four Corners Farm (Multiplayer): Perk: Farm divided into four quadrants with minor benefits from several of the above; NW has a single hardwood stump, SW has a larger lake, SE has a mini quarry.

They also all have different layouts - riverland, forest, and hilltop are most restrictive in where you can place what around the baseline terrain, while the other three (standard in particular) have wide swathes of consecutive open ground.

Whoa, thank you. This breakdown rules. I appreciate it.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

The movie theater is cool. The crane game is way cuter than the movies though. The sun makes faces at you!

What's the best way to get stone? I'm way more limited by my ability to get stone/wood than other resources late game. A random mine dive whacking every stone I see got me ~100, but buildings take so much more than that.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
A large supply of explosives or a pile of cash

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

LLSix posted:

The movie theater is cool. The crane game is way cuter than the movies though. The sun makes faces at you!

What's the best way to get stone? I'm way more limited by my ability to get stone/wood than other resources late game. A random mine dive whacking every stone I see got me ~100, but buildings take so much more than that.

Bombs. Bombs take all the work and time out of stone-gathering.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

riiiiiight, harvey - the man who loves coffee - found you and you just so happened to have lost all your espresso

Came here to post this

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Bombs. Bombs take all the work and time out of stone-gathering.

I picked this up in a "stardrew valley tips" video the other day and it changed my life

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Stardew expanded has a really huge farm map replacement that spans two whole maps.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

Ah, it all makes sense now.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

I made a special adventuring box so I could drop off my poo poo and get to adventuring within seconds of getting up.

I've been generally doing that, but in the mine entrances themselves. I need to get back to Skull Cavern to grab the stuff I left there when I died, but I've also decided to try Slime Hutching as it's one of the two remaining standard buildings I haven't tried yet.

I've gone to the extent of fencing off the slime area in the hutch for safety, and I've just got to get enough in there to start them breeding.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy
I almost started a game, but now I’m waffling. Thanks to the descriptions someone above wrote for me, I’ve decided I want to try the forest farm, but I can’t find any comprehensive guides about getting up and running. In my first play-through, everything was new and I had no goals, so I meandered. This time I would like to get a functional farm up and producing as quickly as possible so I can start idling away hours on the relationships and crafting and stuff.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I almost started a game, but now I’m waffling. Thanks to the descriptions someone above wrote for me, I’ve decided I want to try the forest farm, but I can’t find any comprehensive guides about getting up and running. In my first play-through, everything was new and I had no goals, so I meandered. This time I would like to get a functional farm up and producing as quickly as possible so I can start idling away hours on the relationships and crafting and stuff.

I feel like it's not terribly hard to get to that point if you just try to play efficiently in general - really, just aiming to get as many sprinklers as soon as possible while planting as much as you can manage. I feel like my recent playthrough was pretty sloppy in spots and I was still pretty much on easy street by the end of year one. Berries, even though nerfed, are still a really easy and profitable crop since they give multiple harvests.

I'd recommend a mod or two - Automate which will shove stuff from a chest into any touching devices - eg: ore into furnaces, fruit into kegs. Not having to micro-manage that stuff probably is a big factor on why I blew out my old save's earnings. UI Info Suite Which I got mostly for the range indicators on sprinklers and scarecrows so I wouldn't have to count tiles and stuff.

Like a few weeks ago I was worrying about having an efficient play-through but just kinda went ahead anyways. By midway through Y2 I was actually kind of finding myself sometimes just waiting out the clock or ending days early since my farm needed so little attention and I had already done my gift rounds.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Go around your farm shaking the trees and digging up the acorns/pinecones/maple seeds you find that have not yet sprouted when you first start while tidying up the farm. you'll eventually be able to craft these into field snacks, which are a godsend early on when your stamina is poo poo. while you're cleaning up your farm, you'll also get mixed seeds and resources from the scattered sticks and rocks and bushes, and devise a quick route around the various forested parts of town to scan for forage. Make sure to upgrade your axe ASAP so you can take down trees with 3 fewer whacks per upgrade, this is incredibly handy early on and you can mass sell the wood for quick cash too if you want. Clear a small plot right below your house for an initial crop field, and try and prepare to upgrade your watering can on the first rainy day by getting 5 copper bars and the requisite cash ASAP, reduced watering can usage will give you much more stamina early on in the run. Save every Bat Wing and Quartz Crystal(to cook into Refined Quartz) you find as well as Iron Bars so that you can craft a shitload of Lightning Rods the instant you're able. Every thunderstorm will usually net you 10-15 batteries if you've got dozens of rods on your farm, and each battery sells for 500g which can be a big cash influx as well as being necessary for certain important crafting recipes.

one thing you might consider doing is chopping down trees and leaving the stump in the non-farm areas. leave like a dozen of each still standing in places they don't block line of sight to a potential forage item so you can put tappers on them eventually(trees against cliffs/buildings/screen transitions and other inaccessible areas are good for this). the rest, leave as stumps or put something in place so the tree can't regrow and you can easily run through scanning for forage items on a daily routine or while looking for NPCs. I never take the tracker perk that detects forage, since the thing that guarantees iridium-quality forage 100% of the time is an INSANE perk. especially when you get salmonberries and blackberries from bushes, those count too, and a stack of iridium blackberries will be basically all you need for mine-diving food outside of a single food item to take for buffing plus they're worth an okay amount of money in a pinch. only thing is, take like 50 of them along with you each trip in case you die and the game eats the stack as punishment for dying in the mines.

as for crops, plant everything you can, save up stuff for bundles or go for the joja route if you're going full evil cash baron, and as soon as summer hits just go hog wild with Hops. Get as much Oak Sap from tapping oak trees as you can so you can craft lots of kegs, and you can really just churn out beer with hops like no tomorrow, it'll net you shitloads of cash and regrows every day.

edit: yes, of course, sprinklers. even the lovely basic sprinklers can be super helpful in reducing stamina drain and give you so much more time to do stuff during the day, and once you get to iridium sprinklers which water 24 tiles around them, you basically never have to water things again, but the upgraded sprinklers are decent enough and excellent for putting hops around.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 12, 2020

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Oxyclean posted:

I'd recommend a mod or two - Automate which will shove stuff from a chest into any touching devices - eg: ore into furnaces, fruit into kegs. Not having to micro-manage that stuff probably is a big factor on why I blew out my old save's earnings. UI Info Suite Which I got mostly for the range indicators on sprinklers and scarecrows so I wouldn't have to count tiles and stuff.

Automate really changed how I do things in a lot of ways. I knkind of have to be wary not to fall into the same trap that Kerbal Alarm Clock sent me into with Kerbal Space Program: Not having to babysit everythng makes the work-rewad link more obvious, and makes it easy to fall into a situation where you're burning even more time farming and getting less of the other stuff done.

UI info suite has been a godsend, for answering these questions:
1. What are those seeds I threw on the soil, and how long before I can harvest it?
2. What did I give this pot/cask/keg/tapper/machine to make it do something, and when will it be done?
3. What animals haven't I slapped today?
4. Where is Marnie's drunken nephew right now(son? grandson? boarder? I don't know how these people are related.)

The mod did show Penny being in Skull Cavern late one night, but by then the Desert Bus wasn't running and it was too late to check her house.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Poque posted:

This hit its $20k stretch goal and funding was completed last night :3:

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

You might have read too much of this thread and are unduly stressed out about minmaxing. Stardew Valley is Meandering: The Game. Just do whatever you want and learn as you go. Veteran players are all about finishing all the game's content by the end of Year 1 or early Year 2, but a new player isn't really meant to know what they're doing until Year 2.

Here are some Super Basic Startup Tips:

1. Plant your 15 parsnips immediately and water them same day.
2. As soon as you have 50 wood, make a chest and put it beside your house. You'll need it.
3. Go every other day or so and get Spring Onions from the southeast corner of the forest.
4. Make sure you gift a Spring Onion (best quality you have) to Linus twice a week. This is important.
5. When your parsnips are ready (should be Spring 6) harvest them and head straight to Pierre's, and buy one cauliflower, a couple green beans, and spend the rest on more parsnips and potatoes.
6. After that, buy the backpack upgrade as soon as you can afford it. The second upgrade is a VERY nice convenience but not necessary, but the first upgrade is necessary for mine-diving without running out of inventory space.
7. Try fishing. If you like it, feel free to have fun with it. You'll make a fair bit of money off it. But as a practical matter fishing is a waste of time that's much better spent mining, once the mine is open.
8. Choose mushrooms.
9. Make certain you're in bed by 1:50 AM. You do not want to pass out. Actually try to be in bed by 11:50 PM, because after that you'll eat a stamina penalty the next day, and stamina is your second most precious resource (after money) in the early game.
10. Get crab pots up and running as soon as you feasibly can. This is related to why you're going out of your way to give gifts to Linus.

Beyond that, a couple pointers about mining:
1. You really want to get deep in the mine ASAP. You need lots of advanced ore for sprinklers, but you also need the metals for lots of things.
2. There's no point going to the mines if you don't have time/stamina to clear 5 levels. You can only "save" your progress on the levels that end in 0 or 5.
3. Prioritize smashing ores over rocks, but otherwise ignore everything except descending the instant you find a ladder. You can come back later to mine for ores.
4. You will descend MUCH faster on a good luck day than a bad or neutral one (ladders appear more frequently), so check the TV every morning and if it's a max luck day, make a point of hitting the mines. With enough time you might be able to clear 10 levels on a max luck day.
5. The further you go, the more pickax swings (more time, more stamina) it takes to break a rock. But look closely and you'll see there are different types of rocks on some levels. Learn which ones are weaker and prioritize breaking those first.
6. It's better to bail out and lose your progress than to die or pass out at 2:00 AM.
7. Put a chest in the mine entrance as soon as you can spare the wood. It's VERY handy for keeping all your mining stuff in, and swapping out your farming stuff that would otherwise uselessly take up inventory space in the mine.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

A general thing about luck and watching the tv to find out your luck on a given day:

Some things are influenced a lot by luck, and some very little to none. On a good luck day, mining and fishing are priority choices. On a bad or neutral luck day, cut down trees, cut up hardwood stumps, scythe grass for hay, collect from your crab pots, go shopping/give gifts around town, etc.

And while luck matters, just cuz it's a bad luck day don't give up trying to catch a fish that requires rain or a specific time window or trying to mine a specific ore you need. Less success is still some success.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Bad luck days are good for monster farming, too, as their spawn rates are higher. Gotta get that burglar ring!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Couldn't you potentially get a cauliflower just from mixed seeds in spring, which you should be swimming in after doing your stamina-free grass cutting on the farm?