Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

its possible to drive across the county but there are some closed off areas. so for example if you want to take interstate 40 across the country you'd have to go around gallup, nm, which is blocked off to all outside traffic. most of the closed off areas are more remote however.

also i think there are still border checkpoints in some states where they are pulling over people with new york or other "hotspot" plates (probably based on the whim of an officer)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I,feel,for,you city folk dealing with 5 foot yard space etc. I can walk at noon, and do!, and not see a car or person within 100 yards. I still wear a mask to get beer and cigs, while there are only me, the clerk, and maybe some construction dude buying a 16 oz.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Mokelumne Trekka posted:

I ask because I might roll the dice and buy a ticket for August. Just don't want to be a dipshit.

Whether or not you're a dipshit is determined by the ticket's purpose.

Getting some important surgery that requires travel? Taking care of a deceased family member's affairs? Mandatory business trip that you'd get fired over for not taking, or because you're repairing some critical piece of infrastructure or whatever? Well, okay then, try to stay healthy

Going on vacation? gently caress off, dipshit.

Omnicarus posted:

My idiot buddy and his wife bought a non-refundable trip to Hawaii from Nashville for June 1 - 7 on the logic that it was half the price it normally was and it looked like this was settling down. :downs:

Inform your idiot buddy that Hawaii's governor has already said that the mandatory 14-day quarantine for tourists will be extended through the end of July, and that they're cracking down hard on visitors who get caught outside of their hotel rooms during that period. Like police will actually randomly call your room and come to your door to make sure that you're still in there. Violations cost thousands of dollars in fines, and can include jail time.

Actually you'd be doing everyone a big favor if you could just go garrote them right now, please, because they're honestly just too stupid and selfish to live.

E: A dude got arrested for picking up takeout during his quarantine period.

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 02:40 on May 10, 2020

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

naem posted:

are gas stations open? would it be possible to drive long distances right now? like across the country

pretty sure someone mentioned this maybe 500 pages ago but its worth dropping again.

https://driving.ca/audi/auto-news/news/cross-u-s-cannonball-run-record-reportedly-broken-during-covid-19-pandemic

"averaging 170 kmh"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

"We will not apologize for being an island of safety in a sea of uncertainty and death"

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

My mom's cousin lost his best friend as one of the first deaths in Illinois

Last week he flew to Georgia to go fishing

Vakal
May 11, 2008

brugroffil posted:

My mom's cousin lost his best friend as one of the first deaths in Illinois

Last week he flew to Georgia to go fishing

At least he caught something.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Vakal posted:

At least he caught something.

holy poo poo, bravo.

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !
I have heard so many disgusting people open mouth cough today

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

steinrokkan posted:

We are on a schedule to slowly reopen after two months of all non-essentila businesses being closed. Our infection rates have been pretty good for a country of our size and geographical position, so I'm excited to see if the second wave theory applies.

In South Korea we had 0 new cases for several days and they eased up on distancing etc right in time for a big 3 holiday weekend.

Positive case went clubbing at 3 different clubs on Friday night and now there are about 40 new cases from basically every corner of the country.

Myor of Seoul ordered all clubs closed indefinitely.

Worst part is it was a gay club so now there is that whole stigma and threat of people blaming or accusing of that.

Round 2 START!

Gildiss fucked around with this message at 03:07 on May 10, 2020

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

jesus people who new they were positive went out anyway? they should be arrested for attempted murder

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Wendigee posted:

jesus people who new they were positive went out anyway? they should be arrested for attempted murder

I dont think they knew. So trying to figure out where they got it from. Probably wasnt patient zero for this just the first one that got sick enough to get tested and find out. This news popped up this week so almost a week after this all happened so everyone there has been out and about since then too.

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

Gildiss posted:

I dont think they knew. So trying to figure out where they got it from. Probably wasnt patient zero for this just the first one that got sick enough to get tested and find out. This news popped up this week so almost a week after this all happened so everyone there has been out and about since then too.

oh okay phew... still... wow thats ... what could you do though? i guess just don't have large gatherings until we have a loving vaccine in a year.

Balsa
May 10, 2020

Turbo Nerd
Yep, and its only going to get worse, as more and more people pressure their local gov to reopen, its going to spike real hard and start spreading faster then it ever has.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

QuarkJets posted:

Inform your idiot buddy that Hawaii's governor has already said that the mandatory 14-day quarantine for tourists will be extended through the end of July, and that they're cracking down hard on visitors who get caught outside of their hotel rooms during that period. Like police will actually randomly call your room and come to your door to make sure that you're still in there. Violations cost thousands of dollars in fines, and can include jail time.

Actually you'd be doing everyone a big favor if you could just go garrote them right now, please, because they're honestly just too stupid and selfish to live.

E: A dude got arrested for picking up takeout during his quarantine period.

Can confirm! As much the economy of Hawai'i depends on tourism(gotta love that sudden 35% unemployment rate) we are out of patience for mainlanders trying to bring their poo poo here right now. Police will actually follow you to your hotel to make sure you go straight there, and if you break your quarantine by going to the beach or the grocery store, they're much more likely to just fine you and put you on a flight home than jail you. We have a poo poo-ton of old people that we actually give a poo poo about, and we just announced our first day with zero new cases of coronavirus statewide. We're one of the few states actually qualified to re-open businesses and small gatherings, and there's no way we're letting that get jeopardized. Get through your two weeks of room service and cable, and then we'll be friends, but until then they're just considered dangerous.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Gildiss posted:

In South Korea we had 0 new cases for several days and they eased up on distancing etc right in time for a big 3 holiday weekend.

Positive case went clubbing at 3 different clubs on Friday night and now there are about 40 new cases from basically every corner of the country.

LOL at people who can't endure isolation sitting on their couch watching TV for a few weeks. Nooo, I must go to the clubs! We are the weakest piss baby generations.

Now this is isolation:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-ACI6Mq-g0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OMoMSUtRCzU

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Facebook Aunt posted:

LOL at people who can't endure isolation sitting on their couch watching TV for a few weeks. Nooo, I must go to the clubs! We are the weakest piss baby generations.

My country has had cases of people who KNEW they were infected and still went clubbing and socializing, and having parties and what not, because god forbid they stay at home for two weeks. :sadlol:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Zero VGS posted:

I got one of the full face 3M masks with these Advanced P100 filters (you can buy them from Amazon without restriction right now): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009POHH94/

It never fogs up even when I spent a few hours biking in 70-degree weather, and those filters are super easy to breathe through, like nothing's there.

how is the breathing and audibility? My painter's mask is okay for the first few but (and maybe the filter is wearing out) it's less comfy over time (not that it was built for comfort), plus the breath condensation on the inside is...yeesh

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

El Fideo posted:

Can confirm! As much the economy of Hawai'i depends on tourism(gotta love that sudden 35% unemployment rate) we are out of patience for mainlanders trying to bring their poo poo here right now. Police will actually follow you to your hotel to make sure you go straight there, and if you break your quarantine by going to the beach or the grocery store, they're much more likely to just fine you and put you on a flight home than jail you. We have a poo poo-ton of old people that we actually give a poo poo about, and we just announced our first day with zero new cases of coronavirus statewide. We're one of the few states actually qualified to re-open businesses and small gatherings, and there's no way we're letting that get jeopardized. Get through your two weeks of room service and cable, and then we'll be friends, but until then they're just considered dangerous.

should do one of those Pacific war dances for the haole tourists and when they laugh and clap actually put club to rear end

Clocks
Oct 2, 2007

Flying to Hawaii just to spend it all inside a hotel sucks. But is a reasonable response from the state for sure. People probably shouldn't be vacationing during a global pandemic.

I also live in a residential town (NJ) and I've never seen so many people walking on the streets before. And we've lived in this house for like, almost twenty years now. I used to do running (either early morning around 6am or around 10am-1pm depending on season) and I had never seen so many people back then, and most of the people I did see were other residents who took regular walks. Now everyone is out with their kids and dogs and yada yada. No one wears masks when going for a walk but at least people in my area were all wearing masks when I went to CVS a few days back, as mandated by the state. That said I only go to the stores once a month so it's hard to say what the overall reaction of people is.

I think it's good that people are actually going out for walks but dang it feels crowded.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

hawaii can do a it's a small world like display in the hotel as a compromise

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Refreshing to see "no white persons permitted" on a 2020 .gov statement

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

tuyop posted:

You know those don’t do anything, right? Even if they had some kind of effect, a “boosted” immune system is called an allergic reaction and you don’t want that.

Of course I know. Doesn’t hurt to take some extra vitamin supplements though.

Please don’t post about vitamin overdosing you goons I am aware of that as well

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Zero VGS posted:

Refreshing to see "no white persons permitted" on a 2020 .gov statement

Thats one hell of a treaty

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

monkeytennis posted:

There was a no poo poo street party down here yesterday (UK). Okay they started out sat in their own front gardens but pretty soon it was badminton then kids street cricket (had to throw the ball back at least 6 times) then a karaoke until gone 2200.

One house down here has a bit of a wayward son who turns up causing hassle every now and then. Well he must have done yesterday as two police vans turned up just after ten pm and threw him in the back of one. All the partying people looked extremely sheepish, it was quite funny.

One of the people taking part and being hopeless at physical distancing has a daughter who visited them yesterday before they went across and sat in their neighbours front garden all day drinking.

She’s a nurse in ICU. In a loving covid ward.

I’m staying indoors for a bit.
Do you have a roof where you can sit naked and drink beer while the rest of the area goes into lockdown like the Naked King of Shoreditch?

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
As an newly graduated engineer heading into the worst job market this millennium, the only thing relevant that I have to say is that I think the infection rate constitutes an underdamped control system

Thank you for reading my thesis

whose tuggin
Nov 6, 2009

by Hand Knit
Also I think that if we reopen too early and cases spike, it will be a worse net effect on the economy/in general than if we had just quarantined slightly longer in the first place. Not sure why no one is hyping this talking point

I feel like the "liberate michigan etc" bros are getting a disproportionate amount of airtime because they are the only ones willing to leave their houses to protest

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

The Scientist posted:

Also I think that if we reopen too early and cases spike, it will be a worse net effect on the economy/in general than if we had just quarantined slightly longer in the first place. Not sure why no one is hyping this talking point

Yeah, that's what they saw during the 1918-20 pandemic but history is boring or whatever so no one cares about that.

Honestly, that's one of the things that really boggles my mind about this. Medical technology has obviously advanced in the last 100 years but it seems like society is the same in a lot of ways to a century ago so the cultural response to the pandemic is very similar.

And oh yeah, the Spanish Flu pandemic technically lasted from the beginning of 1918 until nearly 1921 so strap in for that poo poo. Anyone who thinks this is gonna be over by July is loving delusional.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
What’s the sensible lockdown period? Through the rest of the year?

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

poo poo. There goes the last person keeping Trump in line.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

What’s the sensible lockdown period? Through the rest of the year?

It's not a fixed duration or a fixed end date.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Megillah Gorilla posted:

poo poo. There goes the last person keeping Trump in line.

It was accidental. Like all those Russian doctors.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

The Scientist posted:

I feel like the "liberate michigan etc" bros are getting a disproportionate amount of airtime because they are the only ones willing to leave their houses to protest

After the impending spike, states are going to try and isolate again and the pushback from the idiots that didn't isolate in the first place (and the people who were on the fence before, but are now tired of social distancing) will be 10x worse. They're not going to see that their half-assed attempt to distance (more like intentionally not distancing) started the whole thing over again, and that they have to do it right this time if they want some semblance of normalcy. They're just going to throw their hands up, ignore that more people are going to get sick or die, and start shouting into the closest local news camera...

"Whys do I have ter fukin suffer? We dids the eye-sooo-lation befur, and it didn't fukin werk! Mah rights! Mah freedoms! Yer all in kahoots wit that devil-worshipping Jew Bills Gate!"

Like look at Taiwan! They have this thing beat, they're showing the rest of the world the "cheat code", but somehow idiots in the US somehow think masks are literal slavery and that germs are make-believe.

I'm honestly scared of, ashamed of, and feel sorry for America.

naem
May 29, 2011

The Scientist posted:

As an newly graduated engineer heading into the worst job market this millennium, the only thing relevant that I have to say is that I think the infection rate constitutes an underdamped control system

Thank you for reading my thesis

this was me in 2009 welcome to teh clubb

Synthetic Dreams
Jul 19, 2005

by Cyrano4747
Went out of my rural area today to hit up the pharmacy for meds and the market for groceries, and I gotta tell ya. People are loving dumb as poo poo. Many are disregarding social distancing or not wearing masks. The grocery store was in no way enforcing mask usage. It made me pretty angry to have some dipshit boomer get right up next to me to grab some loving poptarts. gently caress.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
lol america will never recover

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Neither will Sweden, which is taking even less precautions than America :)

Maybe one out of every 1000 is wearing a mask here

All our old people will perish

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Methanar posted:

lol america will never recover

It really is interesting to think that America is going to be effectively quarantined from the rest of the world for an indeterminate amount of time.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Sjs00 posted:

I have heard so many disgusting people open mouth cough today

Howndo you cough without opening your mouth?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
People seem to generally be behaving in my area of Manchester in the UK. Haven't seen any parties taking place etc. Olds are the ones barreling into you in the street while you try and move away, but then my mum has said it's younger people doing that, so who knows. Barely anyone has a mask though.

I'm loving sick of quizzes on Zoom.