Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

This really is the peak of galaxy brained citizen defense theses. I love how the whole things revolves around him clinging to the authority of being a “CFO”. We’re probably going to see a lot more of these as the community eats itself on Reddit.

It all just begs the question of why CIG after 8+ years and 300 million dollars is still loving around trying to implement bog standard and basic MMO functionality with no end in sight. I’m sure any software/game company executive would be fine with a project being in this state with no defined design and no release date. I’m sure they’d be like “Oh Chris you lovable scamp! Here’s another hundred million!”

Imagine being a CFO and justifying a project that's many years late, hugely over budget, and failing to understand what's wrong while also using nonsensical terminology CIG pulled out of their rear end that, at a core level, is fundamentally not going to work because that's how computer technology and networking of today's world works.

I'm not a CFO but I have been in the very uncomfortable position of justifying time slips to people who are, and they tend to be less than excited and nonchalant about missing expected release timing.

But maybe things are different in video games, because non-video games is sure as heck pretty serious about timelines, budgets, and being stupid enough in a project to think you can do the impossible.

Not telling people you can achieve the impossible is a pretty basic criteria for being in a leadership role.

Unless you know, you screw up and do it for years and then the only way you can live with yourself is to absolve yourself of being previously incredibly stupid. I wonder who would do that though and still have a job? :iiasb:

Edit: if the dude is supposed to be a CTO and not a CFO then he's an idiot for trying to bolster support for fake pretend technology that is proven to be a failure after nearly a decade of development. There is no "keep trying". You're being stupid and lying about being in any position of authority and not trying to direct them to lowering their expectations and using acceptable best practice methods for what you're trying to do. Nobody tries to reinvent the wheel unless you want to make no progress on what you actually want to do.

The Titanic fucked around with this message at 22:14 on May 9, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

colonelwest posted:

UE4 graphics are absolutely burying Star Citizen. It’s already dated, and in the next 1-2 years will be totally blown away by next gen games.

I'd argue that you don't need to wait any years at all. Console games are coming out that look better than SC today. :shrug:

Dr. Honked
Jan 9, 2011

eat it you slaaaaaaag
I've been in the games industry for a really long time and I have no idea how that side of stuff works. As far as I can see it's just bullshit all the way up - then bullshit all the way down again.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Meanwhile, over on spectrum, someone laments the idea that SC will be a gankfest like EvE.

But never fear, backers are sure that...

"Yep. 9 to 1 NPC to player ratio, with quanta meaning the AI will make logical decisions to SURVIVE and Prosper (not die as is their function in many other games.)"

and that due to the 9 to 1 ration and NPCs that are indistinguishable from players (chortle) ganking will be limited.

Its almost as if these guys have never played an online game before.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

gently caress yeah thats the spirit
he's an alpha with leader mentality hell yeah. a real grown up manly man!!!

not cryin bout a vidjagame, but eating the whole bucket of poo poo cig gave you
and calling out those entitled whiny brats / losers who COMPLAIN about the quality

and when chris asks you to put your thumbs into a bench vise you just do it you crybabies

Inacio posted:

- NEW! 95% of the devs are focusing on SQ54 at the moment, it's coming out this year, that's why SC is slowing down

plot twist: on release day the floppy disk with the master version will be lost in a tragic accident involving a mountainbike, a crocodile and a very steep cliff. the team starts again from scratch.

BumbleOne fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 9, 2020

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Haha, you can mess with people trying to use mobiglass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaqHIqx8P74

Fidels.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit:: still not giving them a penny till they release content that isn't superficial.

:argh:: it's ok, you can leech off the other backers paying the staff, and you just reap the finished game at the end for 50$. Good for you not having any conscience or social responsibility.

:reddit:2: If someone wants to wait until the game is developed and released, they are in their right to do so. I would much rather see someone happy with joining when they fell like than pressuring someone at any point in time. Its a videogame, CIG has to earn their backing and if that backing is whenever they release the game, its on them. No one has to support a company making a videogame if they choose not to.

You are the worst part of the community.

:reddit:3: If someone backs the game whether it be $50 or $5,000 they are hardly a leech.

You should be embarrassed to call yourself part of the Star Citizen community with that lovely outlook on your fellow Citizens.

:argh:: then, maybe he should buy these finished games by Bethesda and EA, funded by Wallstreet and stock market investors. No one's keeping anyone from doing this. I hear Fallout 76 is very finished. No wait, No it's still being worked on. How dare they.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

trucutru posted:

I don't know where did those images come from but I bet that there was a backer defending the gently caress out of the first one, probably using the word "diegetic" in there.

Because Chris cannot do wrong.

Don't mistake hiding from the public with not being a tyrant behind closed doors.

He's still at it.

C Ron
Crobberd

:volcano.jpg:

Diagetics

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Agony Aunt posted:

Haha, you can mess with people trying to use mobiglass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaqHIqx8P74

Fidels.

It’s a miracle you can’t just cursor over their screen and sell their stuff.

Like the way you could control other people's MFDs from range back in the day. (And probably still can).

e: I had a look for the vid of that, but my archive is an unsearchable jumble of broken things now.

Found this instead.

We should just post some historical oddness daily

Pixelate fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 9, 2020

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Inacio posted:

who's Jared, the guy in the image?
he's just a PR dude, i don't really have any reason to hate him.

lmao gently caress Jared Huckabee Sanders

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Dementropy posted:

:reddit:: still not giving them a penny till they release content that isn't superficial.

:argh:: it's ok, you can leech off the other backers paying the staff, and you just reap the finished game at the end for 50$. Good for you not having any conscience or social responsibility.

:reddit:2: If someone wants to wait until the game is developed and released, they are in their right to do so. I would much rather see someone happy with joining when they fell like than pressuring someone at any point in time. Its a videogame, CIG has to earn their backing and if that backing is whenever they release the game, its on them. No one has to support a company making a videogame if they choose not to.

:reddit:3: If someone backs the game whether it be $50 or $5,000 they are hardly a leech.

You should be embarrassed to call yourself part of the Star Citizen community with that lovely outlook on your fellow Citizens.

:argh:: then, maybe he should buy these finished games by Bethesda and EA, funded by Wallstreet and stock market investors. No one's keeping anyone from doing this. I hear Fallout 76 is very finished. No wait, No it's still being worked on. How dare they.

Maybe if people stopped paying them they'd finally release the game

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard
https://twitter.com/Space_Foundry/status/1256544442741383168

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

The Titanic posted:

Imagine being a CFO and justifying a project that's many years late, hugely over budget, and failing to understand what's wrong while also using nonsensical terminology CIG pulled out of their rear end that, at a core level, is fundamentally not going to work because that's how computer technology and networking of today's world works.

I'm not a CFO but I have been in the very uncomfortable position of justifying time slips to people who are, and they tend to be less than excited and nonchalant about missing expected release timing.

But maybe things are different in video games, because non-video games is sure as heck pretty serious about timelines, budgets, and being stupid enough in a project to think you can do the impossible.

Not telling people you can achieve the impossible is a pretty basic criteria for being in a leadership role.

Unless you know, you screw up and do it for years and then the only way you can live with yourself is to absolve yourself of being previously incredibly stupid. I wonder who would do that though and still have a job? :iiasb:

Edit: if the dude is supposed to be a CTO and not a CFO then he's an idiot for trying to bolster support for fake pretend technology that is proven to be a failure after nearly a decade of development. There is no "keep trying". You're being stupid and lying about being in any position of authority and not trying to direct them to lowering their expectations and using acceptable best practice methods for what you're trying to do. Nobody tries to reinvent the wheel unless you want to make no progress on what you actually want to do.

I know everyone here knows this, but in case some backers do a casual glance: CFO's would never defend a project like this. I doubt CIG even has a CFO - accountants, sure, but panhandling organizations like CIG aren't likely to benefit highly from a position whose job it is to limit expenses and maximize throughput. Now a CTO, maybe, but actual CTO's don't post on internet forums defending a career fraud currently in his 9th year of grifting morons. So this guy is actually completely full of poo poo and is lying about his credentials in order to leverage an "appeal to authority" logical fallacy to defend a thief.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

A record year for stealing money? Unquestionably. A record year for getting something done?

:laffo: :iiasb: :lesnick: :sandance: :yarg:

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Dementropy posted:

Prove you have a conscience or social responsibility- buy an Idris today!

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

Does anyone have the source for the quote from Crobberts about how only Rockstar could *maybe* compete with the brilliance that CIG are putting together out of curiosity?

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fallout 76 is one of the most derided, mocked and poo poo on games of the last decade. Bringing that up is like bringing up water levels. You know who liked water levels?

A better example would be... They're still working on Doom Eternal though and the devs admitted on stream a fall through the world bug remains from the previous game!!! GASP!

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

Beluga Snail posted:

Does anyone have the source for the quote from Crobberts about how only Rockstar could *maybe* compete with the brilliance that CIG are putting together out of curiosity?

Mar 30, 2016:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfQYKW7E-w&t=2674s

44m34s if the time stamp doesn't work.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

Quavers posted:

The moment when SaltEMike comes to the realisation that Star Citizen's launch is 2025+

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/615747423?t=1h24m15s
this whips

Elderbean posted:

Are weapons in other games as fideletous though, FUDster? Our Divine Emperor Roberts is going to make it so that I can see my spaceman's face reflected in the casing as it its ejected. No other game has ever attempted such an incredible feat.
escape from tarkov is an insane realism chase fps except it's an actual game you can play

LazyMaybe fucked around with this message at 01:19 on May 10, 2020

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
a weird eastern european indie dev has implemented a system where ammo is tracked per bullet per mag with distinctions in basically everything from travel time to armor penetration to fragmentation chance per different kind of bullet, and star citizen FPS gameplay still doesn't have the basics of good gunfeel

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

colonelwest posted:

UE4 graphics are absolutely burying Star Citizen. It’s already dated, and in the next 1-2 years will be totally blown away by next gen games.

You're forgetting that using a modern engine, or design techniques that are only vaguely modern, is cheating. Lord Chris' vision requires no cheating. Every bullet lovingly rendered. Every component part of the spaceship loaded separately. SSOCS. Serialized variables.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

IronicDongz posted:

a weird eastern european indie dev has implemented a system where ammo is tracked per bullet per mag with distinctions in basically everything from travel time to armor penetration to fragmentation chance per different kind of bullet, and star citizen FPS gameplay still doesn't have the basics of good gunfeel

The thing about this sort of thing is that hat those ammo systems are relatively really loving simple to do, the Jagged Alliance mods have had them for decades and you can go into the most excruciating detail about recoil, cones of fire, ricochets, penetration, etc. What is the chance than that grenade's shrapnel deflects those bullets? well, it depends on their weight and inertia and blah, blah. blah.

What is hard is to make the systems feel good. Of course, SC fails at both things but even if by a miracle they had good gunplay with excellent ammo systems it wouldn't matter as long as you continue to clip thru the floor or crash every 20 minutes.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Yeah, Tarkov is a great example of it. Lots of pointless features that don't actually serve any purpose, because REALISM (in a shooter that's arguably about as realistic as Halo or Gears). There are a whole bunch of ammunition properties, but they're ultimately meaningless because functionally there are basically just 3 or 4 tiers of ammo. It's alot like Battlefield's recoil system. There are something like 100 variables that define how a gun recoils in Battlefield, and the designers clearly have no understanding of how they work, so it winds up being a terrible system with less interesting gameplay than a far simpler system could have. Pointless complexity isn't design, it's arrogant incompetence on display.

At least Tarkov is a unique game. It can get away with a lot of bad design because there's nothing else that's even close to being in the same genre. If Star Citizen WERE a real game and it were ever released, it would have to compete with other actual games in its genre.

TheBombPhilosopher
Jan 6, 2020

Beluga Snail posted:

Speaking of Rockstar I recently decided to watch a play-through of RD2. Rockstar games usually aren't my thing, but on a whim after watching some Kingdom Come: Deliverance play-throughs after it popped up in the recommendation tab. Suffice to say I'm totally blown away by the obsessive compulsive attention to detail. The way weapons are drawn from horses and slung over the shoulder, the way vegetables are picked and placed the sachet, the way animals are skinned and the fur placed on the back of a horse, the way the binoculars are brought up the face and then the camera zooms in, the way dirt, blood, and snow gather on the clothes, the way skin bruises when punched, the hunger, thirst, the gaining weight and loosing it... I can totally see this gaming taking many years and a huge amount of money to make. Then I think about CR/citizens making comparisons to this game and I want to post the Futurama Bender video about laughing harder. I bet this thread was fun when RD2 came out.

Speaking of Kingdom Come: Deliverance, I thought while watching the game that it looked familiar and I did a bit of research and wouldn't you know it, it uses some version of CryEngine too! And it was also a Kickstarter game and was made on a smaller budget, with a smaller studio, in a shorter time frame, and it is also quite a novel and unique game.

Watching Kingdom Come: Deliverance and RD2 has reinforced to me that I enjoy a good spectacle. So I would like to thank all the backers of SC for funding this project so I can the enjoy the spectacle of its fantastic failure without having to put any skin in the game. We all enjoy a good train crash, after all.

TheBombPhilosopher fucked around with this message at 05:13 on May 10, 2020

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
My to-go example is original X-com vs new Xcom. The original had a pretty rudimentary physics engine, cones of fire were a thing, stray bullets could hit people halfway thru the map, things could catch on fire and the fire would expand, you could blow holes on most stuff, etc. The new one, which is obviously more advanced otherwise, doesn't really have a physics engine (outside the funky grenade path mechanics) and instead uses what is basically simple tabletop-like rules for all the actions in the game.

One is trying its best to properly simulate the encounters, which brings some unexpected complexity and blemishes but is really difficult to fine-tune, as some of the things you can do were not really planned to be there. The other has very well-defined rules and you can only do what the developers wanted you to do but it's polished. Wanna take cover? Well, move behind some random tree or rookie or whatever and hope for the best in the original, or take cover in the cover spots that the developers carefully placed in the map in the newer game.

Both approaches can be fun, but making the first one good is way more difficult than the second. On the other hand, the second approach is much limited.

Meanwhile I doubt anybody at CIG really knows what they want the FPS to feel like besides "like X game, but better" where X changes every year.

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
Because of the save mechanic (sleeping in a bed, or drinking an alcoholic save potion which gets you drunk if you do it too often) KCD is the only game like that I've played without savescumming

It's a pretty cool game tbh

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

Needs a infographic for how many different useful things for society could have been done with the money.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

K8.0 posted:

Yeah, Tarkov is a great example of it. Lots of pointless features that don't actually serve any purpose, because REALISM (in a shooter that's arguably about as realistic as Halo or Gears). There are a whole bunch of ammunition properties, but they're ultimately meaningless because functionally there are basically just 3 or 4 tiers of ammo. It's alot like Battlefield's recoil system. There are something like 100 variables that define how a gun recoils in Battlefield, and the designers clearly have no understanding of how they work, so it winds up being a terrible system with less interesting gameplay than a far simpler system could have. Pointless complexity isn't design, it's arrogant incompetence on display.

At least Tarkov is a unique game. It can get away with a lot of bad design because there's nothing else that's even close to being in the same genre. If Star Citizen WERE a real game and it were ever released, it would have to compete with other actual games in its genre.
tarkov is definitely full of pointless stuff but at least some of it surfaces in a meaningful way(grabbing an SMG during a raid, running into a PMC and deciding based on whether he has a facemask on his helmet whether you're going to spray at the head or legs because SMG ammo by and large has bad armor pen). tracking individual mags is something almost no shooters do that I really really like because it basically completely gets rid of the compulsive reloading habits many people form.

more significantly for the star citizen comparison, they're both early access games made with a director who pushes for realism, but in the case of tarkov they make many concessions to playability and letting players enjoy themselves in the current version of the game instead of just letting players hope it will be fun later.

SigENeaT
Sep 7, 2006

Is there a goon Star Citizen group?

I signed up during the original multi-level marketing IPO but have never touched the client... figure I better make use of this horrible debt at some stage and it's always better playing with other messed up people.

Solarin
Nov 15, 2007

Asmodai_00 posted:

:reddit: We are not special

:smug: Many people seem to be complaining on the basis of 'the game lets me do the mission, so why am I being punished for it' (or something similar)

It seems the concept of a game having consequences for actions is now sufficiently foreign to people, that they can't grasp the concept when they finally experience it.

:corsair: I love the argument people use of "it's just a game" when video games used to be one of the most punishing activities you could participate in... And we were children.

No saves. No checkpoints. One shot deaths. Timers. Screens filled with bullets.

Now it's "Here's a crime for you. It's an illegal crime. It's an illegal crime for criminals. So if you do this illegal mission, you'll be crimed all over. So be careful cause illegal crimes are for criminals that participate in criminality. Prisons are full of criminals that did crimes"

Then they do the mission, go to jail, surprise Pikachu and make a reddit post and turn into emotional Salt Bae.

We live is the cushiest portion of video game history. Rub some aloe on your asses and let's revisit the olden days of consequence.

Also, we know there are bugs with it. We've already applied aloe to our asses years ago with our own bugs.

(emphasis mine)

:thurman: If you dig my forum posts around the early process of the PU, you could find me warning a bunch of kids how they weren't going to get their GTA in space and them laughing at me. I've waited this moment for a very long time.

Told. You. So.

Revenge is sweet, revenge is good.

jesus christ this prison stuff is hilarious content. Chris has overdelivered yet again

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
if that dude really wanted games that punished failure he could go play a bullet hell, but star citizen fans only ever actually want to take screenshots.

L. Ron Hoover
Nov 9, 2009

Is there a movie about bad poser models in space? Because then yes I can't tell the difference

Flannelette
Jan 17, 2010

L. Ron Hoover posted:

Is there a movie about bad poser models in space? Because then yes I can't tell the difference

Wingcommander

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Its amazing the effect money can have on your eyesight.

cantwellmuckenfuss
Mar 30, 2011

Agony Aunt posted:

Its amazing the effect money can have on your eyesight.

I don't know how to quote a tweet but:

"Visionworks is open during the Covid-19 pandemic. You should stop by."

To clarify, that's regarding the original tweet.

cantwellmuckenfuss fucked around with this message at 06:14 on May 10, 2020

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

cantwellmuckenfuss posted:

Just paste the tweet link
https://twitter.com/ResidentRusty/status/1259258786583384068

cantwellmuckenfuss
Mar 30, 2011
Duh. Too many beers, too much stay-at-home.

Dementropy
Aug 23, 2010

:reddit:: Lol remember when hot poo poo Forbes published an article in 2015 saying the project was out of money?

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasone...s-to-blame/amp/

They're just farming clicks off the sweaty angry gamers who don't know how not to be miserable 24/7

:ironicat:: Yeah the detractors and refund nuts never have facts... Just fud and straight lies.

When you cite or source their arguments they crumple like toilet paper. That's why they don't allow crossposting and such anymore. (Turns out hate groups implode like they did last year too....)

:reddit:: The refunds subreddit is still claiming that the funding will dry up any moment now. The last one was apparently that covid 19 would stop anyone from buying the game because they would all be too poor to afford it.

:ironicat:: Yup. They are still throwing the same stories...

Classic fud and lies.

They block anyone who argues with their worldview

They are just a hate group

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

He is the unseen grabby hand which moves all things.

He's the CFO (Chief Fidelity Officer) and according to him, everything is perfectly normal and going exactly as it should.

(Except for all the green things that need to be made blue, or vice versa. But that's normal, too! One look at this game and you know it's designed by a perfectionist!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

cantwellmuckenfuss posted:

They are suggesting people physically visit them during the quarantine? :O