Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is it really gove that the times and others are trying to make PM? he's so alien the british public would never go for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Q was a very good book I read (which can be downloaded for free legit) by a quartet of Italian writers under the collective name Luther Blisset.

Not sure what the OP meant by it, obviously something to do with conspiracy theories. Mind you in this novel there are plenty of conspiracies going on albeit 16th century!

Q is a guy who pretended to be a spy and posted cryptic bullshit to 4chan, it took on a life of its own.

The conspiracy theory behind the conspiracy theory is the bullshit originally came from that book though I dunno much:

https://qz.com/1349858/what-does-qanon-have-to-do-with-leftist-italian-authors-wu-ming/

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Prince John posted:

Huh, apparently I am a sweet summer child, only aware of the Q entity from Star Trek or Q from James Bond.

You're not aware of the Winged Serpent? You will be...

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Jose posted:

is it really gove that the times and others are trying to make PM? he's so alien the british public would never go for it

I wish I shared even this small amount of faith in the British public

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Brendan Rodgers posted:

Q is a guy who pretended to be a spy and posted cryptic bullshit to 4chan, it took on a life of its own.

The conspiracy theory behind the conspiracy theory is the bullshit originally came from that book though I dunno much:

https://qz.com/1349858/what-does-qanon-have-to-do-with-leftist-italian-authors-wu-ming/

Fascinating!

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Jose posted:

~60-70% of the electorate would jump off a bridge if the news told them to

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006
The British public don't need to go for it, just the Tory membership

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Doccykins posted:

The British public don't need to go for it, just the Tory membership

If it would even go that far. May was coronated by default after the others dropped out.

I'd loving hope it would go further if they were desperate enough to consider werido-fishman Gove though, Jesus Christ.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The newspapers literally just made Boris Johnson prime minister. Unless they're convinced corona is going to absolutely ruin him irredeemably to the electorate I really struggle to believe there's much conspiracy within either the tory party or the press to get rid of him (above just their baseline level of backstabbing).

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?

Tarnop posted:

Is this a feature on all their models (ie the cheapest) or is it only on certain ones? I'd love to get back into bike riding but I'm clueless on how to find nice routes

Not sure if it's been mentioned but I use the app kamoot which actually shows you road surface etc in the route your planning, also gives you area highlights such as nice lakes, hills so you can chain the scenery on your route.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

peanut- posted:

Even the idea that there would be challengers seems very odd. You'd think even the far right of the Tory party would have enough self-awareness to realise that the entire reason they're in the loving cabinet is to do what they're told. They did not win the election, Boris Johnson did. He is effectively Blair in 97 except there's not even an equivalent Gordon Brown figure involved.

I think the calculus is along the lines of "Corbyn lost that election far more than Boris won it, he's an idiot who'll drag us all down if we let him, he'll serve his purpose by absorbing the heat after he's hosed everything up, and then I shall ride in to the rescue as a steady, sensible hand".

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

justcola posted:

I was talking to my neighbour yesterday and think he's totally gone off the deep end. Usually he's pretty lefty and reasonable

In the last years of his life my very lefty and reasonable dad would get a bit paranoid every winter, when he couldn't go out to do things in nature, which was also the way he socialized. I imagine Covid isolation is going to make a lot of people a bit potty, and if they aren't firmly inoculated against believing random 'documentaries' they'll be easy marks.

justcola
May 22, 2004

La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo

I assume he was talking about the 4chan Q, sort of like a mystic meg for racists, though I just get pissed off when people start going on about such bollocks.

The effects the virus is having on groups of people is starting to get to me a bit, all the anti-vax nonsense, conspiracies, VE day parties and wilful ignorance. Is this what people are like?

e: I mean, it's just a small majority thats amplified through media, but how quickly people have turned has been strange to see.

justcola fucked around with this message at 14:30 on May 10, 2020

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/SCFCJosh96/status/1259459508620931072?s=19

I loving hate this haircut twat

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

peanut- posted:

The newspapers literally just made Boris Johnson prime minister. Unless they're convinced corona is going to absolutely ruin him irredeemably to the electorate I really struggle to believe there's much conspiracy within either the tory party or the press to get rid of him (above just their baseline level of backstabbing).

they only care about the next week ahead of them and if bojo isn't doing what they want this week theyll move against him

also they got rid of the true threat of a real alternative in corbyn so they don't have to worry about anything anymore. nobody is standing up to billionaires or the press any time soon

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

justcola posted:

I assume he was talking about the 4chan Q, sort of like a mystic meg for racists, though I just get pissed off when people start going on about such bollocks.

The effects the virus is having on groups of people is starting to get to me a bit, all the anti-vax nonsense, conspiracies, VE day parties and wilful ignorance. Is this what people are like?

e: I mean, it's just a small majority thats amplified through media, but how quickly people have turned has been strange to see.

Everyone's searching for every last scrap of whatever. Something. And of course isolation does more.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

What possible problem could you have with such magnificent forensic policy making of "the Tories but marginally less"?

Thanks to lockdown I've managed to read through most of Marvel's 1970s main superhero output. Far more productive than getting into conspiracy theories.

forkboy84 fucked around with this message at 15:28 on May 10, 2020

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
I just wish Nicola Sturgeon would come out and call boris a piece of poo poo, officially, but she must be doing something right if she's getting stuff like this:

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

I just wish Nicola Sturgeon would come out and call boris a piece of poo poo, officially, but she must be doing something right if she's getting stuff like this:

I mean, this is a pretty remarkable statement:

https://twitter.com/nicolasturgeon/status/1259391575261696000?s=21

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Yeah but she's not calling boris a ballbag or a nonce so it's not going far enough, she's not telling the entirety of the truth of the matter about this man

Ash Crimson fucked around with this message at 15:34 on May 10, 2020

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Ash Crimson posted:

Absolute weapon George Foulkes (good ol' awful Scottish Labour) was having a go at her on Twitter this morning, despite both Health and Law & Order being devolved areas. Sturgeon is well within her rights to disregard the Tories confused messaging designed solely to encourage people back to work prematurely while denying responsibility for it when that inevitably leads to a lot of deaths.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Considering that deaths are still hovering at over 600 per day, I'm not sure we can even have a spike so much as a bloated lurch upwards.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
It would have been better if instead of "It is of course" she'd said "As they lack their own devolved executive it is"

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Considering that deaths are still hovering at over 600 per day, I'm not sure we can even have a spike so much as a bloated lurch upwards.

Oh, don't worry, it could get worse

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Its cool dan hodges gets himself trending on twitter either for being insanely stupid or being a massive oval office and has no problems with either

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Ash Crimson posted:

Yeah but she's not calling boris a ballbag or a nonce so it's not going far enough, she's not telling the entirety of the truth of the matter about this man

just get Janey Godley to do the next briefing

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Sturgeon's conference today is darkly hilarious

For those who havent watched them the deal with her conferences is she has them like 3 hours before bojo and is way more cogent than anyone in the UK gov but the big reveal for scotland during covid is that there is fuckall devolution and the SNP have extremely little control over anything right now

Kinda like how for the Tories the most important thing is that no economic change comes from this, the most important thing for the SNP seems to be to maintain kayfabe that there are two seperate governments here, working together or disagreeing or whatever, when there's clearly one actual government and even that government is a total loving sham lead by stupid vultures. Its weird, every conference is kinda an exhausted Nicola answering the same question about how come she's going along with the morons in the UK. Even that is kayfabe, she isn't going along with it, she can't do anything.

This was particularly apparent in today's conference where after months of telling people to stay at home she is now having to announce that people will be allowed out more for exercise cause bojo will announce that later today. there were strong snipes at the governments new rectangle with words on it but ultimately she's having to follow suit with whatever they're actually doing.

Its been clear for a little while that she knows about the factions in the tories pushing to open the blood gates and has been pushing against that. the rectangle with words on it is about as far as the first ministers reach goes though. she proudly announced she was confident she would secure scotland the right to the previous rectangle.

If the scoops are right and a majority of tory mps want that then probably the guy who does the little rectangle is one of them (hes one of the hardest workers, hes done more than basically any minister or NHS exec/PHE). Or it was part of an intended push with media and poo poo that the gov was meant to buckle to but didn't.
which is why the gov is now briefing against its own rectangle and explaining that Stay Alert means Stay at Home and Green means stop or whatever.

rambling and procrastinating

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Did you say you were putting these on youtube now so I can listen on my tv and do stuff instead of being wired to my computer?

Ed: found the youtube channel but only 3 on there :(

Did you get a smartphone? You can usually go to a webpage for a podcast and start it, then turn the screen off and the audio still plays (works on Chrome anyway)

Guavanaut posted:

Keep Japanese honeybees, they will drive away the wasps.

Keep Japanese hornets, they'll drive away your car

jaete
Jun 21, 2009

Nap Ghost

mehall posted:

That's just how often is been googled, not how often is been used by the papers or whatever.

So the papers and pundits describe Starmer as "forensic" all the time, but members of the public don't give a poo poo? Hm yeah, sounds about right.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Trin Tragula posted:

I think the calculus is along the lines of "Corbyn lost that election far more than Boris won it, he's an idiot who'll drag us all down if we let him, he'll serve his purpose by absorbing the heat after he's hosed everything up, and then I shall ride in to the rescue as a steady, sensible hand".

If that happens I think it's more likely to be after Brexit has happened and proven not to be 'oven ready' tbh. Unless they think turbo Remainer Keir Starmer would have somehow retained those East Midlands seats.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

baka kaba posted:

Did you get a smartphone? You can usually go to a webpage for a podcast and start it, then turn the screen off and the audio still plays (works on Chrome anyway)

Keep Japanese hornets, they'll drive away your car

Unfortunately my smart phone is dying. But also, the main thing is I don't want to be wearing headphones all the time so if I could play them on the tv would be good. I can do spotify on the tv are they on there possibly?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jose posted:

Its cool dan hodges gets himself trending on twitter either for being insanely stupid or being a massive oval office and has no problems with either

He has figured out the difference between "toll" and "rate"and is ecstatic that a few lefties have confused the two, meaning he is in the unprecedented situation of actually being correct about something for once. this is such a rare and unexpected thing that it's basically broke his brain and he won't stop going on about it. 50 years ago he'd be pestering his mum because he saw a dog do a white poo.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/PickardJE/status/1259499398138134529?s=20

bojo looking like a haunted wax work of trump there

e: just remembered he still hasn't actually done his actual announcement yet, all the many different versions of the new policy over the last few days have just been anonymous briefings retconning anonymous briefings lol

looking forward to watching that clown try to stammer his way through explaining that we're now going to save lives by staying alert by staying at home, not by staying at home

XMNN fucked around with this message at 16:46 on May 10, 2020

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Are we getting told anything about furlough scaling back today, or has that been shelved after everyone pointed out it was loving stupid?

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Staying at home I can do but staying alert at home is a bridge too far. What do they expect me to do, actually focus on my Netflix movie? gently caress off

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
lmao that the Tory messaging is bad even Arlene Foster won't adopt it

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

i'm the woman standing by watching and laughing

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

I agree a dog would be a better PM.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

sebzilla posted:

Are we getting told anything about furlough scaling back today, or has that been shelved after everyone pointed out it was loving stupid?

I think the tentative plan for that was to bring it in at the start of July, haven't heard anything about it since then except Haircut McTwat banging his pans about it today.