Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Which one is the best 6dof shooter with VR support?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

I'm doing some remodeling and as part of it, I modeled up a room with some new cabinetry and such. I can export the mockup in a number of formats and I'd like to use my index to look at it in person. Any recommended viewers? Came across this one on steam but if there's a really good option, I'm all ears.

If you already have a copy of Tilt Brush lying around I think you should be able to import it into that?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bad Munki posted:

I'm doing some remodeling and as part of it, I modeled up a room with some new cabinetry and such. I can export the mockup in a number of formats and I'd like to use my index to look at it in person. Any recommended viewers? Came across this one on steam but if there's a really good option, I'm all ears.

If you already have the model, just dump it into unreal, or using source and steamvr destinations.

Its all free, and simple to just drag and drop your model into say the VR example scene for unreal thats already set up, and then just resize it correctly using a known measured reference. Nice thing about using a proper engine to view it is if you really want to get crazy with textures, and mirrors and stuff you can, and its easy to make a separate executable to show other people.

EDIT: and if you're reaaaaaaaaaally adventurous, you could do a photogrametry capture of your existing room, then just model in the new cabinets on top of it to get a realistic view.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 8, 2020

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Jack Trades posted:

With Descent Underground (lol) out of the picture is there anything besides Overload that fits the bill?

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also the Quest duo packs this week are Apex Construct/Fail Factory (£13 because dammit we're going to make people take Fail Factory if it kills us) and Sairento Untethered/Ninja Assassin (£19). Probably going to finally buy Apex Construct since people seem to like that game quite a bit.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Truga posted:

VR epic exclusive games are amazing. first you install epic launcher, which then installs steam and tells you to log in and download steamvr

how else are they supposed to do it when valve controls distribution of the steamvr runtime and only allows it to be installed via steam, there's no standalone version epic can bundle with the game

it is awkward but it's valves fault for designing the "open" vr ecosystem such that everything revolves around their store

repiv fucked around with this message at 21:19 on May 8, 2020

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
Tbf at least steamVR lets you easily play games through other headsets and stores, not looking forward to messing around with ReVive if I ever upgrade to an index.

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

njsykora posted:

Also the Quest duo packs this week are Apex Construct/Fail Factory (£13 because dammit we're going to make people take Fail Factory if it kills us) and Sairento Untethered/Ninja Assassin (£19). Probably going to finally buy Apex Construct since people seem to like that game quite a bit.

I wasn't impressed by the half hour or so I played of Apex Construct. Its mechanics worked fine, they just didn't really feel interesting. It has a demo on Steam, so you could try that first?

repiv posted:

how else are they supposed to do it when valve controls distribution of the steamvr runtime and only allows it to be installed via steam, there's no standalone version epic can bundle with the game

it is awkward but it's valves fault for designing the "open" vr ecosystem such that everything revolves around their store

In theory anyone can write their own SteamVR-compatible runtime and distribute it with their store, and games could use that if Steam isn't installed.

In practice of course not even Epic is going to bother going to all that trouble so Steam gets the free installs.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

is there really anyone on earth who owns a VR headset but DOESNT have steam? It really should be an assumption that if you have the headset you have found a reason to have steam somewhere along the line

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

When the heck is OpenXR going to start showing up? It was finally released last fall, they're still talking about it coming to quest, has anyone been building anything for that?

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Jack Trades posted:

Thoatse posted:

With Descent Underground (lol) out of the picture is there anything besides Overload that fits the bill?

Sublevel Zero was well-received and it's on sale for 70% off right now ($4.49).

https://store.steampowered.com/app/327880/Sublevel_Zero_Redux/

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

is there really anyone on earth who owns a VR headset but DOESNT have steam? It really should be an assumption that if you have the headset you have found a reason to have steam somewhere along the line

I don't think there is really anyone who games on PC but doesn't have Steam, but that isn't really the point.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I started the Escalation thing from Stormland, level 0 right now. I have seen some interesting new stuff, like a new sidequest (about a drone you have to follow), random 'quests' like of type 'kill x with y', and more meaningful, new upgrade options for your robot, like 2 new arm types and new upgrade perks for your slots. There many more than it seemed at first!
That said, I think it's painfully obvious the game needed one more year of development, or more probably, they planned to developed it more after release with meaty content updates but then were bought by Sony. For example, if you get x keys you can open a vault in some maps. The underground vault has a series of room with chests, the chests are very Borderlands-like in that they open up and a platform rises and expand to show off the weapon or item you are rewarded... except after all the problem of opening the vault, you get the same old 6 weapons the game has and the same 3 grenades. The game so clearly was intended to have some random loot element put on top of the actual system.
In fact that's the biggest problem, as a normal single player story driven action game, the game doesn't deliver in things like variety and story. But that's ok because with the whole Escalation system, it's clearly intended to be some kind action-rpg coop/roguelite in VR. Cool. Well, they have a good combat and movement core to built around it, but they don't have no where the enemy variety (it's really needs three more enemy types, at least), island variety or the systems like for example random loot to be what we could call a good 'repeatable' game.

A random video showing off the game
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm4QS3Vtm0U

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

I am incredibly impressed at how well Echo Arena runs on the Quest. PokerStars VR can't do multiplayer poker without being a stuttery mess but this is smooth as butter. And it's really the full game.

I did start to feel a little sick after a few games though and I don't remember feeling that way on the Rift. Not sure if that's just because I haven't been in VR in a while, or the lower framerate actually does affect me. I don't notice it being lower in-game though.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

NRVNQSR posted:

In theory anyone can write their own SteamVR-compatible runtime and distribute it with their store, and games could use that if Steam isn't installed.

In practice of course not even Epic is going to bother going to all that trouble so Steam gets the free installs.

IIRC viveport has (had?) some sort of standalone steamvr redistributable they supply in some markets like china. other than that, yeah nobody's gonna bother

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Truga posted:

IIRC viveport has (had?) some sort of standalone steamvr redistributable they supply in some markets like china. other than that, yeah nobody's gonna bother

That makes a lot of sense - come to think of it HTC might have insisted the runtime be open way back when they started working on the Vive, since I'm sure they would have already been thinking about the Chinese market at that stage.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I notice the Index has shot back up the Steam bestseller list and they're pushing it on the front page, did something new and cool come out?

Also I ordered some insertable prescription lens from VR Optician when a friend screamed "no dont use your glasses inside your VR headset you imbecile" and drat they look great.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I have probably 3 or 4 hours of Echo Arena on Quest now

Definitely buying that game when it comes out. Echo Arena is the new killer app for Quest

Kind of interesting to put your head right next to some of the font-rendered text, rather than image-rendered text. When you get your eyeball about 6" away it becomes super aliased and sharp and clear, and then if you pull your head away the rest of the world seems extremely grainy by comparison

That said, even though the graphics are pretty grainy, it looks really really good on the Quest. I can't imagine tripping over cables and poo poo with a wired VR trying to play loving zero G football.

Is there an Echo Arena thread yet? Would like to play some organized games with Goons at some point.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

Pierson posted:

I notice the Index has shot back up the Steam bestseller list and they're pushing it on the front page, did something new and cool come out?

Also I ordered some insertable prescription lens from VR Optician when a friend screamed "no dont use your glasses inside your VR headset you imbecile" and drat they look great.

Don't know what your friend is freaking out about, I wear glasses in mine without issue. Quest comes with a glasses spacer and Index lets you move the HMD a little farther from your face. Lens inserts make it more comfortable and probably slightly better but also make things a little more annoying when sharing an HMD.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

I have probably 3 or 4 hours of Echo Arena on Quest now

Definitely buying that game when it comes out. Echo Arena is the new killer app for Quest

Kind of interesting to put your head right next to some of the font-rendered text, rather than image-rendered text. When you get your eyeball about 6" away it becomes super aliased and sharp and clear, and then if you pull your head away the rest of the world seems extremely grainy by comparison

That said, even though the graphics are pretty grainy, it looks really really good on the Quest. I can't imagine tripping over cables and poo poo with a wired VR trying to play loving zero G football.

Is there an Echo Arena thread yet? Would like to play some organized games with Goons at some point.

It's gonna be free :toot:

I hope they sell cosmetics or something, we've been begging them to sell us stuff for years

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Tom Guycot posted:

If you already have the model, just dump it into unreal, or using source and steamvr destinations.
This was great advice, I am JUST barely competent enough with Unity to get the room bootstrapped up in a project with a few lights. I have since walked around in what may become my new study! Pretty freakin awesome. Really helped get a sense of layout and scale.

quote:

Nice thing about using a proper engine to view it is if you really want to get crazy with textures, and mirrors and stuff you can, and its easy to make a separate executable to show other people.

EDIT: and if you're reaaaaaaaaaally adventurous, you could do a photogrametry capture of your existing room, then just model in the new cabinets on top of it to get a realistic view.
Ha, yeah, maybe by 2021 I’ll have the skills for all that.

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I tried the tutorial for Echo on Quest and I think something was jank with the tracking because the environment was moving in sync with my head movements and I could barely stand it.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

This is so cool. I can check the reach on all the cabinets, I can plop down in my (irl) chair and see how it feels at the desk, I can see how my wingspan fits in the space between the cabinets at each end of the workbench. I can lean back in my chair and see what kind of view I have of the adjoining room. I guess what I need next is some colors (the whole thing is a bit SUPERHOT right now) and like, if I wanted to go crazy, I could make the cupboards openable? But I have no idea how to do that yet. :P

Oh, also, I guess Unity works in meters, so exporting my model as meters made the scaling perfect without adjustment, nifty. I did it in inches at first and when I went in there, it was like I was in the giant's castle, ha.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Bad Munki posted:

This was great advice, I am JUST barely competent enough with Unity to get the room bootstrapped up in a project with a few lights. I have since walked around in what may become my new study! Pretty freakin awesome. Really helped get a sense of layout and scale.

Ha, yeah, maybe by 2021 I’ll have the skills for all that.

Honestly photogrammetry work is even easier now. You can do it with free software and your cell phone camera. I could dig up an old post of mine from years ago regarding the process if you're ever curious, but this is what I as a complete novice who barely knew how to load up unreal editor, was able to do 3 years ago on a first attempt at capturing a whole space. This is before I even figured out how to clean up the mesh so it wasn't so wobbly:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUzpRSuO8wo

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
What's the best free photogrammetry software these days? I might have to list some apartments soon.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Zero VGS posted:

What's the best free photogrammetry software these days? I might have to list some apartments soon.

https://alicevision.org/#meshroom

meshroom is the best to try. open source, very slick interface, powerful, fast. I don't have a lot of personal experience with it though as I was already so deep into photoscan that i was more frustrated trying to figure out how to do things I already knew how to do so I only ever did tests with it. It worked very well though.

The biggest trick is making sure you're taking the photos with best practices. You want as much light as possible, highest resolution setting, as flat of a focus as you can get, and you want to turn off auto features like white balance and aperture and stuff because you don't want to have all these colour variations between images of the same thing, and you want a good pattern of coverage with overlap.

You sort of want to stand with your back against the wall facing the opposite corner of the room, get a photo dead on, then angled up, and angled down, with ~20% overlap, then turn45 degrees or so left and right doing a center, up, and down picture again with overlap, then take a step or 2 to the left or right and continue the process circling around the room.

Depending on the geometry you made need more shots of complex objects, or under low hanging objects etc, but you get a feel for it pretty quick. The cabin example i showed was.... something like, 1200-1500 photos for the whole building.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Lemming posted:

It's gonna be free :toot:

I hope they sell cosmetics or something, we've been begging them to sell us stuff for years

Whaaaa seriously? Taking a page out of Valve's book with TF2 then (yes it was paid at first but only barely)

Echo Arena is the first multiplayer game I've really really enjoyed since Battlefield 3/4, and before that TF2

I wish Quest didn't tie their multiplayer bullshit to a facebook profile, now I'm gonna have to register/maintain a second facebook profile... whee

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Tom Guycot posted:

When the heck is OpenXR going to start showing up? It was finally released last fall, they're still talking about it coming to quest, has anyone been building anything for that?

Probably if/when SteamVR start supporting it. It's still kind of a moot point to support it when a large portion of the headset market can't use it.

There are some open source stuff being built with it though, like Blenders VR mode, and this Linux desktop interface:
https://twitter.com/Collabora/status/1258771866195558401

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Hadlock posted:

Whaaaa seriously? Taking a page out of Valve's book with TF2 then (yes it was paid at first but only barely)

Echo Arena is the first multiplayer game I've really really enjoyed since Battlefield 3/4, and before that TF2

I wish Quest didn't tie their multiplayer bullshit to a facebook profile, now I'm gonna have to register/maintain a second facebook profile... whee

Yeah honestly it's a huge pain, they didn't require it until a few months ago, you just needed an Oculus account, and that had enough issues without the extra "pointlessly link an FB account" step

That said it's totally worth it for Echo lol

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Any Echo tips (that can be used in public games with strangers)? There's so many obstacles that I can never anticipate where the disc is going to end up. I end up just flying around getting to places seconds too late all game.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

AndrewP posted:

Any Echo tips (that can be used in public games with strangers)? There's so many obstacles that I can never anticipate where the disc is going to end up. I end up just flying around getting to places seconds too late all game.

I figured out thrusting with both hands gives more acceleration than thrusting with one.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

RFC2324 posted:

I figured out thrusting with both hands gives more acceleration than thrusting with one.

VR Megathread: thrusting with both hands

Also I just hit Chapter 9 of Alyx, loving love this game. I've definitely settled on the LCD Pimax being better than the OLED; the whole point of oled is supposed to be those pure blacks, but if the pure blacks smear really bad like every other oled then what's the point?

Zero VGS fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 9, 2020

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

AndrewP posted:

The #1 tip I have that will immediately make you better than almost everyone is to turn around and look for boosts rather than floating directly towards the disk. Since you can throw off any surface 4 m/s, if you throw off someone moving you end up moving at their speed plus 4 m/s. This means that even if you spend a few seconds going backwards, if you grab someone who's moving in the direction you wanna go and you throw off of them, you'll be moving about twice as fast.

There's tons more going on but at the most basic level going fast is more important than almost everything else

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Stupid Oculus software. This noon I played some Stormland. Now I'm going to play some other game and I notice I don't have sound... I check and the frigging virtual headphones audio fro Oculus have disappeared from my audio devices. The oculus audio drivers are well installed in the Device Manager. I'm going to have to reinstall the entire app. :/

edit: oh look at that, the output device was just disabled on Windows. And the one to blame wasn't Oculus, but Virtual Desktop software!

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 10, 2020

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Today I played Psychonauts in the Rhombus of Ruin. That was two hours of good fun (and as it's usual for VR, the price is a bit too expensive for only 2 hours). It's incredible (not really) the difference of what a VR product can be when you have a veteran team behind instead of 3 guys with a shoestring budget, they are able to do something very solid thanks to good art and sharp writing. VR is what I call a 'videogame multiplier'. If you have good art, VR will make it pop up more. If you have good characters, VR will make you empathize more with them. But, you need to have these base qualities from the start, or it will multiply nothing at all.

Speaking of I also tried Gunheart yesterday and ended refunding it.

Turin Turambar fucked around with this message at 17:06 on May 10, 2020

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone else tried "Dear Angelica" on Oculus Quest?

I thought you were supposed to be able to walk around the drawings, but the Quest version seems to be 3DOF. Unless I am missing something, it's just a direct port of the Go version.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

It's pretty explicitly just a VR movie.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

njsykora posted:

It's pretty explicitly just a VR movie.

Yes, but the Rift version allows you to move around and look at the scenes from different angles. On Quest, you can't even lean in for a closer look because it only tracks 3DOF. Unless I am missing a setting somewhere, that's pretty disappointing. It would have been a good demo app otherwise.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

SimonChris posted:

Yes, but the Rift version allows you to move around and look at the scenes from different angles. On Quest, you can't even lean in for a closer look because it only tracks 3DOF. Unless I am missing a setting somewhere, that's pretty disappointing. It would have been a good demo app otherwise.

It's a question of power I believe, like in the Henry VR short. The Quest doesn't have enough to move the 3d scene, so they turned it into 360º 3D video.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goodguy3
Aug 11, 2016

"What?! I'm not tangled up like this for fun, you know!"
Ironlights is pretty fun. I especially like knight mirror matches.

The KO effect is neat too.

Goodguy3 fucked around with this message at 18:25 on May 10, 2020