Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Happy New Year!
This poll is closed.
Happy New Year! 38 22.22%
This year's going to suck too! 78 45.61%
Wait, it's still 2019! 17 9.94%
Zzzzzzzzzz 38 22.22%
Total: 171 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Endorph posted:

quick pop quiz, whats sesshomaru's relation to inuyasha

Do you want the real answer or the I spent 5 minutes trawling fanfiction.net answer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I've never seen Inuyasha

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I had a big crush on Koga as a tween.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Sakurazuka posted:

I've never seen Inuyasha

ive seen like 4 episodes

one from the very first episodes
one with some lady with a HUGE boomerang
one with a giant snake demon?
and one where dude made his sword big and chopped up a buncha monsters

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

oh yeah

god I almost forget everything about Inuyasha huh

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think I remember watching an episode in the original where Kagome is surprised that a girl about her age would be thinking about marriage and bearing children and chalked it up to things being different in the sengoku period. I'm sure the cousin thing will come up as an age base joke too.

Whats more worrying is Sessh probably having kids with a girl he met when she was like 7 if Rin does end up being the girls mother.

Cao Ni Ma fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 9, 2020

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Yeah I'm really hoping Rin is essentially just Cool Aunt

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Aurora posted:

neither times the dbz earth moon blew up happened during king piccolo

yeah you loving idiot

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Furnaceface posted:

15cm of loving snow over night.

Well, I guess that makes it easier to stay inside and binge Black Lagoon instead of putting it off for another 5 months.

Prairies?

I woke up to see styrofoam falling from the sky in Southwestern Ontario. :haw:
Temps hovering around freezing so it isn't sticking around though. Condolences.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I finished Season 3 of Haikyuu and goddamn....

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost
Happy piccolo day everyone!

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

Endorph posted:

quick pop quiz, whats sesshomaru's relation to inuyasha

Depends on the doujin?

DoubleDonut
Oct 22, 2010

Fallen Rib
free littleorv

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

The duality of Kubo.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Mister Facetious posted:

Prairies?

I’m in the prairies and I haven’t seen snow for a good month now thank goodness. I can finally walk my dog without bundling up.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Prairies?

I think it was over in the maritimes that it happened.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Mister Facetious posted:

Prairies?

Central Ontario. Lake effect off Georgian Bay dropped 20cm of snow by the end of it all.

Also Black Lagoon is fun and the dub rules but I lost count how many times the word "gently caress" is said.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
feelin' very

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaP6p9whWR8

right now

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

SatoshiMiwa posted:

oh yeah

god I almost forget everything about Inuyasha huh

:same:

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I want to watch some (good) mecha anime and since the genre is pretty much dead I was wondering about Gundam... All I know there's like tens of different series but I've only ever watched part of Turn A Gundam. I'm interested in getting into it but all of chronological lists make my eyes glaze over. Is there some simple, at most one sentence long, version of the recommended watch order?

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

lordfrikk posted:

I want to watch some (good) mecha anime and since the genre is pretty much dead I was wondering about Gundam... All I know there's like tens of different series but I've only ever watched part of Turn A Gundam. I'm interested in getting into it but all of chronological lists make my eyes glaze over. Is there some simple, at most one sentence long, version of the recommended watch order?

If you're happy to watch old anime, start with the original and work forwards by production order.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

start at 0079, either tv or compilation movies, and then as many things where the opening narration says UC as you can stomach, particularly chars counterattack, war in the pocket, 08th ms team, origin, and thunderbolt.

there that's my one sentence, but here's another sentence: dont worry about gundam chronology because everything in UC with the exception of zeta either takes place during the one year war in which case it doesn't matter what order you watch it in or is so far removed from it that it's historical background at best and mostly self contained. most of the latter kind are also the bad UC shows though, like unicorn and narrative

(+ watch turn A and G-reco)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

or just watch macross instead

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Uc timeline: 0079 -> zeta -> zz -> chars counterattack -> unicorn -> victory. 08th ms team, war in the pocket, stardust memory, narrative, thunderbolt, and igloo are in there somewhere. Idk im not a historian

Ce timeline: seed -> seed destiny.

Youll notice that theres approximately five billion gundam series not listed here. thats because theyre all standalone. You can just watch them. G gundam has nothing to do with anything else, gundam wing has nothing to do with anything else, 00 has nothing to do with anything else, ibo has nothing to do with anything else. You can just watch them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also yeah the only uc material the ~timeline~ really matters for is the amuro/char arc that goes through 0079, zeta, and chars counterattack. And obvs as a sequel to zeta, zz goes after it.

Outside of those four series pretty much everything uc is pretty standalone. Like war in the pocket is a uc series but its extremely standalone, no major characters from the main stuff appear and its just about a smallscale conflict in a single city. 08th ms team is just about one squad of grunts loving around in the woods. Victory is so far removed from the one year war that it barely matters. Unicorn makes some references but so long as you know that char is a person who exists youre fine. If it doesnt say 0079, zeta, or char's counterattack, you can watch it iust fine.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
e: Beaten like a goddamn 14-inch snare drum! Curse you, Endorph! :argh:

Gundam: The only way to win is not to watch. :v:

Seriously, though, if you're concerned about chronology when it comes to Gundam, the only things that I feel sorta need it is Amuro and Char's saga. Almost everything else does not. Like yeah, knowing "One Year War" this, "Zeon Fuckheads" that and such might be useful, but I honestly think that the rest of the UC series you can do without/watch without worrying about where it all might fit.

Also, hilariously dumb-as-poo poo, trying-to-hard-to-be-cool names.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

lordfrikk posted:

For the most part, Gundam is a bunch of unrelated shows that share some aesthetic and thematic elements. Looking at it chronologically is generally the wrong approach.

The exception to this is Universal Century stuff, where the three main series and film are sequels to each other and don't make a ton of sense if you haven't seen the preceding stuff. UC also has a lot of spinoffs, which as snail said are mostly set during the One Year War and so don't require prior knowledge of anything.

Basically, the question you need to ask yourself isn't "where do I start with Gundam," it's "what Gundam do I want to start with?"

If you want to watch Universal Century stuff, just follow the advice already posted and watch the original Mobile Suit Gundam (the show gives stuff more room to breathe but it's 43 episodes of janky 70s animation; the pacing of the compilation films can feel a little rushed at time but they're good and remove a few of the studio-mandated toyetic elements) then the rest in broadcast order, including the OVAs (0083 has some writing/direction issues and a twist ending a lot of people hate, but it's really pretty). If you like serious war stories and hate wacky kid character hijinks, you can safely skip ZZ Gundam and just go straight from Zeta to Char's Counterattack.

If you don't care about Universal Century stuff, ignore everything above and just pick any Gundam series you want based on what appeals the most to you. A few good choices would be Gundam Wing (first Gundam show to get a dubbed Toonami release in the US, so it's a lot of US people's first Gundam experience), Turn-A Gundam (the best Gundam TV series), Iron-Blooded Orphans (the most recent "main" show and another very good one) or Gundam Build Fighters (a sports show about people fighting with Gundam plastic models).

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

If you really want a list of the gods then I'd say watch the 0079 movies, zeta (ive never seen the movies so im unsure how they function as a replacement for the tv series) then char's counteratrack and you're equipped to engage with any gundam material ever made, even the most hardcore gundam nerds only spinoff manga about some obscure side character from a 1993 arcade game.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Zeta movies suck both because they cut out too much and because they've got sequences that are just completely redone in a mid-00s style while still having a good chunk of the original animation left in, so they're incredibly jarring to watch.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lemon-Lime posted:

The Zeta movies suck both because they cut out too much and because they've got sequences that are just completely redone in a mid-00s style while still having a good chunk of the original animation left in, so they're incredibly jarring to watch.
However, satomi arai does voice fa in them

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Lemon-Lime posted:

If you don't care about Universal Century stuff, ignore everything above and just pick any Gundam series you want based on what appeals the most to you. A few good choices would be Gundam Wing (first Gundam show to get a dubbed Toonami release in the US, so it's a lot of US people's first Gundam experience), Turn-A Gundam (the best Gundam TV series), Iron-Blooded Orphans (the most recent show and another very good one) or Gundam Build Fighters (a sports show about people fighting with Gundam plastic models).
While I generally enjoy the two-fisted, hot-blooded super-robot-esque approach of Mobile Fighter G Gundam a little more, Turn A Gundam is a pretty darn entertaining watch and it's a good show to get started with the franchise.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Why did Quattro and Char never meet? That's kinda weird

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
if you end up liking turn-a gundam or greco watch overman king gainer because it's a totally separate mecha anime directed by tomino that has the exact same feel as greco and a really really similar feel to turn-a

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Colonel posted:

if you end up liking turn-a gundam or greco watch overman king gainer because it's a totally separate mecha anime directed by tomino that has the exact same feel as greco and a really really similar feel to turn-a
Was it you that rec'd to me? Or was that Brain Powerd? In any case, I really really liked OKG. :)

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i have never watched brain powerd

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nobody on planet earth would ever rec brain powerd

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The opening to Brain Powered is a banger, shame about everything else tho

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

Take careful considerations from the posts above, but just watch Iron Blooded Orphans if you want something modern and self-supporting and not tone-tied just by having the Gundam name on it.

Because seriously, IBO is one of the best mainline mecha shows of the last ten years that just happens to also be Gundam.

Ranzear fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I will never watch Brain Powerd, but it has one of the best battle themes in SRW J and I'll always appreciate it for that