Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Speedball posted:

That is exactly how it works. But hey, who said dirty tricks in politics aren't the key to success?

Giving city-states unique benefits to suzerainity is a neat idea. That way you have to be *really* power-mad (or just land-hungry) to conquer one. Usually I never do, but on a Fractal map I was boxed in and the only good territory was in city-state hands, so I had to take 'em on...

Eh, depends on the benefit. As an example, if I'm playing Australia and going for a science victory, I never expect to have a religion unless someone else infects me - so I'm happy to conquer Yerevan if I need the land for whatever reason (good amenity, strategic resource/location). Similarly, some civs get benefits from specific city states and it can make sense to conquer one in those cases. Pericles gets a culture boost from city states, as an example (albeit a bad one, his bonus mostly kicks in mid-late game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Anyone got this on Switch? Like it? Does it's include Rise and Fall?

Easily answered with Google!

Dr. Fraiser Chain fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 2, 2020

Tofu Injection
Feb 10, 2006

No need to panic.
Are industrial zones even worth it? Seems like I'd rather go for almost anything else, power be damned, and if I'm not winning by the time it becomes relevant, games over one way or another anyway. Plus if I'm ahead I can just spam green power anyway.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Tofu Injection posted:

Are industrial zones even worth it? Seems like I'd rather go for almost anything else, power be damned, and if I'm not winning by the time it becomes relevant, games over one way or another anyway. Plus if I'm ahead I can just spam green power anyway.

two for the boosts I guess?

I tried the Old World (on EGS) early access, can't reccomend (1 UPT combined with units that have ten or even more hexes movement)

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
Well-planned industrial districts are worth it like if they're next to an aqueduct and 2+ resources, plus if they're near a river so you can build the Ruhr Valley. Also if you have multiple industrial city states to take advantage of their bonuses. I tend to build a lot of IZ anyway, having more productivity is akways good.

Sulla Faex
May 14, 2010

No man ever did me so much good, or enemy so much harm, but I repaid him with ENDLESS SHITPOSTING
I'm learning the game still, only about 50 hours in, and I've been able to get an accidental cultural or diplomatic victory (don't remember which, but I was going for science) and then a planned science victory. I'm getting better at managing amenities, growth, and early city expansion, but I struggle with amenities and definitely loyalty in new cities or conquered cities, even with the garrison governor and a monument. Is the answer that I shouldn't have cut my culture investment (districts etc) down to near zero? And should I be anticipating loyalty issues by using spies to reduce loyalty in nearby enemy cities? Does placing a spy in defence on a newly conquered city, based in the city centre, help loyalty at all?

Sulla Faex fucked around with this message at 13:47 on May 10, 2020

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Tofu Injection posted:

Industrial Zones are awesome.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=im9kcCuo5x8

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Marmaduke! posted:

Well-planned industrial districts are worth it like if they're next to an aqueduct and 2+ resources, plus if they're near a river so you can build the Ruhr Valley. Also if you have multiple industrial city states to take advantage of their bonuses. I tend to build a lot of IZ anyway, having more productivity is akways good.

:same:

I hate how everything takes aeons to build so I usually have an industrial zone on every city (almost always as its second district, after campus). Probably not optimal, though

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Sulla Faex posted:

I'm learning the game still, only about 50 hours in, and I've been able to get an accidental cultural or diplomatic victory (don't remember which, but I was going for science) and then a planned science victory. I'm getting better at managing amenities, growth, and early city expansion, but I struggle with amenities and definitely loyalty in new cities or conquered cities, even with the garrison governor and a monument. Is the answer that I shouldn't have cut my culture investment (districts etc) down to near zero? And should I be anticipating loyalty issues by using spies to reduce loyalty in nearby enemy cities? Does placing a spy in defence on a newly conquered city, based in the city centre, help loyalty at all?

the most important thing for loyalty is population. try to rush growth in new cities with loyalty issues. also settle/invade closer to your already larger cities. if your're invading consider letting a city flip to a free city while you go pillage and attack other cities, to reduce the enemy population.
there are also a few policies that can boost loyalty.

spies don't do anything positive for loyalty as far as i know. and the reduce loyalty mission is useless.

edit - also try to manage era score to avoid dark ages.

HappyCamperGL fucked around with this message at 14:41 on May 10, 2020

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Tofu Injection posted:

a couple of centralised centralised industrial zones can be okay if they can hit enough cities. and ruhr is great if you can get in iz near a river.
ideally in your space port cities so they have a bit more production. and being able to run projects for the good engineers.

but generally i find they are too expensive to be worthwhile, and to get them really good you have to also build crap like aqueducts. i agree you just delay the actual useful districts too much.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Man I have to settle my cities closer together

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?

euphronius posted:

Generally speaking 4 tiles away is good early placement. You won’t have population to justify anything more spread out for awhile.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
I play with a mod that forces everyone to settle at 4 hex minimum, very satisfying ime

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Tofu Injection posted:

They're never my second or (usually) third district choice for a given city, but in mid/late game they're invaluable for flat or coastal cities with super low production, and you really really want one in your spaceport cities. They can also be decisive in war against a technologically evenly matched opponent, because they can help you churn out units faster than they can. But you're right - for me they matter because of the production boost, not because of power.

euphronius posted:

This was one of the biggest strategic changes I had to make after switching from V to VI. Initially it seems like a waste to give up potential land just to settle your cities close together, but the cascading adjacency bonuses are worth it.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Industrial zones also get you Great Engineers, some of whom are amazing.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

Speedball posted:

Industrial zones also get you Great Engineers, some of whom are amazing.

Oh yeah I forgot about that! If you're going for a science victory, you should make an effort to get some industrial zones down for this reason, because the late-game Great Engineers can literally skyrocket you to victory by giving you thousands of free production toward space race projects.

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

showbiz_liz posted:

Oh yeah I forgot about that! If you're going for a science victory, you should make an effort to get some industrial zones down for this reason, because the late-game Great Engineers can literally skyrocket you to victory by giving you thousands of free production toward space race projects.

Not only, but the science victory in general is really rather a production victory. Even with those GEs you're looking at huge city projects to complete, IZs really are necessary to get a science victory (at higher difficulties, anyway)

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Most specialty zones have an associated Great Person type. Except Entertainment Districts. I wonder what we'd have there. Great Entertainers? Haha.

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Sigfried and Roy?

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I guess a great entertainer would be an artist whose medium isn't music, writing, sculpture or paint/drawings. So yeah, Siegfried and Roy, and like Houdini and such. Unfortunately this also includes LPers, which means Pewdiepie, which I assume is why the entertainment district doesn't produce great persons.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Drag Queens

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
You really ought to get your great musicians from entertainment districts

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Monthly updates, new civs/leaders/modes/other stuff every other month for a year starting next week with Maya and Gran Colombia.

https://twitter.com/CivGame/status/1259860819946414080

cams
Mar 28, 2003

make religion fun please

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Oh hey, an extended support cycle this go around.

VII development must be taking some effort.

Beelzebufo
Mar 5, 2015

Frog puns are toadally awesome

Bolivar. Nice. I don't think he's ever been a leader before, has he?

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Is this a new expansion or just some new civs?

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf

Elias_Maluco posted:

Is this a new expansion or just some new civs?

It looks like its basically an expansion broken up over a year, $40 for the whole thing which is the same as a normal expansion

I'm looking forward to Gran Columbia

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
It's not really an expansion if it doesn't add new mechanics to the base game mode. It's a DLC season pass.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Kassad posted:

It's not really an expansion if it doesn't add new mechanics to the base game mode. It's a DLC season pass.

A crapy deal if thats the case

edit: reading the features, it seems it is a bunch of new civs and leaders, some new districts/wonders/buildings and some new game modes. Im underwhelmed

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 17:17 on May 11, 2020

HappyCamperGL
May 18, 2014

Lmao at that comet literally obliterating the city.

Anno
May 10, 2017

It’s kind of hard to parse what they really mean by new systems and what the modes really are. Like is the apocalypse mode an actual different game type I have to select or is it just an additional level of disaster I have an option for when making a normal game? If it’s the latter, extending older systems or options for some new ones, I’d be pretty happy.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

The world congress, climate change, and religious units are still in the game; so I don't see how subjecting new civilizations to this nonsense adds anything unless you give yourself more points for farting in a more crowded elevator.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the fun thing about releasing it like this is it's gonna stay stuck at 40 bucks for a lot longer than if it was just an expansion that all got released at once

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
From the description, it sounds like an expansion's worth of content released piecemeal. The apocalypse stuff was explicitly said to extend the original game's timeline.

Worst case scenario, it'll just be an expansion/content pack a year from now.

Anno
May 10, 2017

It also sounds like you can buy them piecemeal if you just want a leader/Civ or two here and there.

But yeah after reading some more it sounds like the “modes” are more game options, so I think I’ll be happy with it. I like idea of crazier disasters, especially since there’s a new religious unit that can invoke some of them. That kinda stuff should be fun.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

The Little Death posted:

Bolivar. Nice. I don't think he's ever been a leader before, has he?

Technically, in Civ IV Colonization, but this is the first mainline game yes.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

The Human Crouton posted:

The world congress, climate change, and religious units are still in the game; so I don't see how subjecting new civilizations to this nonsense adds anything unless you give yourself more points for farting in a more crowded elevator.

People like new Civs man it’s not rocket science

onesixtwo
Apr 27, 2014

Don't you realize that being nice just makes you get hurt?
Personally I think a year of dedicated dev time and content production is really cool and good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Hair Elf
I'm happy about the frequent tuning patches, the last one we got was like 8 months ago