Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
loving hell

quote:

We said that you should work from home if you can, and only go to work if you must.

We now need to stress that anyone who can’t work from home, for instance those in construction or manufacturing, should be actively encouraged to go to work.

And we want it to be safe for you to get to work. So you should avoid public transport if at all possible – because we must and will maintain social distancing, and capacity will therefore be limited.

So work from home if you can, but you should go to work if you can’t work from home.

And to ensure you are safe at work we have been working to establish new guidance for employers to make workplaces COVID-secure.
a bunch of word salad that's going to kill people :thumbsup:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

XMNN posted:

loving hell

Again, literally kill all poors.

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos
He didn't even mention garden centres. I thought that was supposed to be the hook to bring the Gammons around to the idea of opening up.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

XMNN posted:

loving hell

yeah well the factional dispute in the tories is whether to give up and get people killed quickly or give up and get people killed but slowly

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

XMNN posted:

loving hell

Does saying staff "should" go back to work give employers clout to sack them if they refuse due to no ppe?

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Aphex- posted:

I didn't watch it because I hate looking at Boris, what were the main points/changes if anything? Even if it's just vague fluff.

- As I said, he literally quoted 'If you can work from home, you should. If you can't, you should goto work.' He only mentioned construction specifically, so gently caress knows what companies/sectors he means.
- The r figure is just below 1, which we must keep up doing! *appears a really out of place graph of an arrow just hovering below 1*
- You can go out and exercise more, and goto parks!
- WE WILL WIN AGAINST THIS THING! /ww2 banter

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Aphex- posted:

I didn't watch it because I hate looking at Boris, what were the main points/changes if anything? Even if it's just vague fluff.

Plebs in the construction and maunfactory industry are :airquote: suggested :airquote: to go back to work tomorrow.

Then a big wish list of "ifs" and vague hopes on reopening schools (June 1st), pubs, restuarants, cinemas and such later. Next Wednesday they'll allow unlimted outdoor exercise, rather than the 1-a-day they've vaguely hinted at thus far.

It's basically nothing we didn't suspect, but a nothing vague word jumble that is going to result in a lot more needless deaths.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

OwlFancier posted:

I'd settle for a big squeaky inflatable hammer bonking him on the head every time he says something stupid.

*infinite solid squeak noise*

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

you SHOULD go to work, in your high street shops that aren't open until august

Soylent Yellow
Nov 5, 2010

yospos

Lungboy posted:

Does saying staff "should" go back to work give employers clout to sack them if they refuse due to no ppe?

I would say that he's throwing a lot of workers under the bus with this, but he went on to tell them to stay away from the buses in the same sentence.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

happyhippy posted:

*infinite solid squeak noise*

Well yes it might have the same general effect as the other suggestion :v:

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
Starmer's hair is impeccable, someone is getting in on the illicit underground haircut network.

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

kecske posted:

you SHOULD go to work, in your high street shops that aren't open until august

Yeah that was just weird.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I too think Timmy Mallet should simply flatten Parliament

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Pillbug

Soylent Yellow posted:

I would say that he's throwing a lot of workers under the bus with this, but he went on to tell them to stay away from the buses in the same sentence.

Watch CEOs tell employees to carshare now.
And plan out extreme travel routes so you can pick up Bob who works on the 3rd floor every morning.
Its only 45 minutes out of your way!

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

I'd settle for a big squeaky inflatable hammer bonking him on the head every time he says something stupid.
I'll bring the inflatable sickle.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
let me spend several minutes discoursing on R like I know what the gently caress I'm talking about, stress how important it is that R is below 1, explain that R is probably just below 1, and then relax the measures that are currently lowering R

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/jackmirkinson/status/1259546236551663616

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

XMNN posted:

loving hell

Did he specify anythign about schools?

Because if they force schools to open things are gonna kick off like wow.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
Restrictions on exercise are being relaxed, but fines for flouting the rules are being increased. Decent summer bonus coming in for some.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

This is exactly the sort of thing we should be doing.

Should be doing.

MonkeyLibFront
Feb 26, 2003
Where's the cake?
My Regiment still not classes as essential, so that's decent, no work for another month.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Seems like it went well all things considered.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

EvilHawk posted:

So the big thing in this speech was "unlimited exercise" and that is absolutely meaningless because there's nowhere near enough cops to track the number of times you go outside.

in theory that would mean the cops can't harass people over that anymore

in practice lol

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
So I assume if you have a job where you can't work at home you should now go to with and abandon your children?

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Could someone explain how I should be acting when we're at a 4.1 compared to a 3.9? Should I tut if I see my neighbours in their front garden instead of their back?

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

What if your job doesn't exist due to being closed?

I could open my work laptop and listen to podcasts for eight hours each day but I'm not sure that's worth dropping furlough for.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

sebzilla posted:

What if your job doesn't exist due to being closed?

I could open my work laptop and listen to podcasts for eight hours each day but I'm not sure that's worth dropping furlough for.

I guess this is a precursor to cancelling the furlough scheme, if you're supposed to be at work then there's no need for the government to pay for you not to be at work

they care about capital more than people so maybe they will let businesses stay closed if they would collapse within days of reopening, but they're also so incompetent and malicious that I wouldn't be surprised if they just let them all go under anyway

vaguely
Apr 29, 2013

hot_squirting_honey.gif

is it time for a general strike yet or do a few tens of thousands more people need to die first?

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

it's deliberately confusing messaging to make people feel like they're doing something wrong by staying at home like they've been told to

it also means they have even less leverage when their boss says "no you're coming in" so people are less likely to try and fight it

and it's also pushing this idea that if you aren't working (because you're furloughed or because your job doesn't exist anymore) then you need to apply for other jobs, because hey you're not working from home are you? and any income support will probably end up conditional on that

it's the lockdown doublespeak where they're simultaneously responsibly telling people to isolate (with support) and also doing the complete opposite, blaming people for one thing or the other since they can't follow both rules, only ramped up a bit more

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Scarfolk, it turns out, couldn't manage to come up with something as loving stupid as actual Government policy.

kecske
Feb 28, 2011

it's round, like always

baka kaba posted:

it's deliberately confusing messaging to make people feel like they're doing something wrong by staying at home like they've been told to

it also means they have even less leverage when their boss says "no you're coming in" so people are less likely to try and fight it

and it's also pushing this idea that if you aren't working (because you're furloughed or because your job doesn't exist anymore) then you need to apply for other jobs, because hey you're not working from home are you? and any income support will probably end up conditional on that

it's the lockdown doublespeak where they're simultaneously responsibly telling people to isolate (with support) and also doing the complete opposite, blaming people for one thing or the other since they can't follow both rules, only ramped up a bit more

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

vaguely posted:

is it time for a general strike yet or do a few tens of thousands more people need to die first?

It's time for Starmer to meet with business owners.

sinky
Feb 22, 2011

Slippery Tilde

EvilHawk posted:

Could someone explain how I should be acting when we're at a 4.1 compared to a 3.9? Should I tut if I see my neighbours in their front garden instead of their back?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
I think pretending this is a vast plot is foolish.

I think we are just running up against what happens when people scheme instead of think.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by
turning a big dial taht says "Lockdown" on it and constantly looking back at the audience for approval like a contestant on the price is right

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/zarahsultana/status/1259557030336987136?s=21

Zarah Sultana seems to be trying very hard to be the British AOC, and to be honest, she's doing a pretty decent job of it. One to watch.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Scarfolk, it turns out, couldn't manage to come up with something as loving stupid as actual Government policy.

yeah I was wondering if they're gonna pack it in like the Thick of It team

this is a good comparison too because it feels like the government's trying to redefine what we're actually in the middle of, like we're supposed to forget. As though it's not a pandemic anymore, where people just need to isolate and practice good hygiene to avoid getting infected. Now it's like a cold war - go about your normal lives, citizens, but be ALERT. Pay attention to the daily THREAT LEVELS and ACT ACCORDINGLY. Be BRAVE and we will get through this TOGETHER

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/archimbaldo/status/1259542740691496962?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Josef bugman posted:

I think pretending this is a vast plot is foolish.

I think we are just running up against what happens when people scheme instead of think.

I agree with this. What's going on is the result of different opinions in the government, most of them bad and stupid, with the person charged with sifting through it to make the right decisions being the most credulous and idiotic AND lazy fucker in the country so every day is the result of dipshit schemes piling into each other.