Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Eagle rare is older buffalo trace
Elijah Craig, Four Roses Small Batch, Wild Turkey 101, Knob Creek, and Old Forester 100 are probably the direction you want to go with the major distilleries

Seconding this. When you're ready to try the more aggressive options, grab Rare Breed, Elijah Craig Barrel Proof (which has an impressive 12-year age statement that'll really give you a taste of big boy bourbon), and Stagg Jr. if you get a chance as well. The Rare Breed should be readily available but the others will be a bit tougher to find. Old Forester 1920 is also excellent, if a bit pricey. It's got a lot of the big sticky notes; personally I love it as a high-end mixer. Great for mint juleps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
I don't know why but I can't find Rare Breed anywhere around here. Russel's is available and tasty though.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Professor Shark posted:

Last year I bought a bottle of (the admittedly gimmicky) Game of Thrones: House Tully Scotch by Singleton

Link

It took me a few glasses, but I grew to enjoy it. Now it's sold out, and I want another bottle.

The NSLC only has one type of Singleton offered here in NS:

Link

Is this the same stuff? The tasting notes are different, but I know those don't always line up.

I'd like to try something with Orange notes if at all possible.

Replying to this again because I just ran into total wine today and they had some of these. I checked their app and like every total wine in the twin cities has it in stock, so if you live anywhere near a TW I’d see if they can ship you some from another store.

It’s like $28, so stock up!

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
$26 on their localized site for me. Must be like 5yr old whisky. Diageo is genius.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I've more or less worked my way through a bottle of Glenfiddich 12, and it's grown on me. Do you guys know of any other scotch with a similar profile? I'm still exploring, so I don't necessarily want to rebuy the same bottle, but I've grown to appreciate that type of scotch.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Dramicus posted:

I've more or less worked my way through a bottle of Glenfiddich 12, and it's grown on me. Do you guys know of any other scotch with a similar profile? I'm still exploring, so I don't necessarily want to rebuy the same bottle, but I've grown to appreciate that type of scotch.

Balvenie. AnCnoc. Cragganmore.

Tiny Chalupa
Feb 14, 2012

Dramicus posted:

Glenlivet 12 is in a very similar vein as Glenfiddich. A little more dry fruit but friendly as people explore Whisky

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

I'll rip out your optics!

Dramicus posted:

Monkey Shoulder too if you're looking for a budget alternative

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

The last few Eagle Rare I've had were better than the last couple Blanton's.

For those that enjoy peated scotches, Bruichladdich's Port Charlotte is solid. Sadly it's special order where I live so I haven't been able to order another bottle in months.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp
Trying Wild Turkey 101 for the first time, pretty well pleased I have to say. Neat it's a fairly typical "good" bourbon for me, nose is bourbon vanilla and a heavy undertone of barrel, like I'm sticking my whole head inside a barrel and getting saturated in it. For the taste it's surprisingly light on the alcohol given the proof, very solid sweet bourbon and something a bit hot and tingly, like it reminds me of if you fry black pepper and something else spicy. If I let it rest it numbs a bit, but a quick sip just fills my head with sweet vanilla, something spicy and a slightly weird aftertaste of something off. I had a home-made beer that produced the same aftertaste, someting old and off like it's been left too long. It's no big deal.

Overall a very tasty dram and while not very complex, absolutely worth the buy (since it's not exactly common over here and it's fairly inexpensive).

Didn't like it in a drink. I'll want it neat.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Seconding Port Charlotte. I always forget it when listing islays for some reason.

WT101 is great neat, but it's also my go-to for mixing because it's inexpensive and plentiful here.

If you like it a lot, give rare breed a try.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Enigma posted:

Seconding Port Charlotte. I always forget it when listing islays for some reason.

WT101 is great neat, but it's also my go-to for mixing because it's inexpensive and plentiful here.

If you like it a lot, give rare breed a try.

I actually did try that a while back, and it pleased me enormously. I dunno why WT101 didn't make a good drink in this instance, I might try again later but I also have a new bottle of Buffalo Trace which makes amazing drinks and is even cheaper, so...

Testro
May 2, 2009
Port Charlotte's a great drink, thirded.

My recent purchases have been x2 of: Miltonduff 11 year old, Caol Ila 12 year old, Caol Ila 10 year old, Craigellachie 10 year old.

They're all great, but the Caol Ila 10 is ridiculously good.

I've also broken out my bottles of Ruadh Moar (Glenturret peated) - both of these are from a Caol Ila cask. It throws me how they have the aroma of bacon, but both drinks are a delight. Ruadh Moar is so odd, it blows my mind that most Glenturret goes into a basic blend, but these expressions are incredible.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Nice piece of fish posted:

I actually did try that a while back, and it pleased me enormously. I dunno why WT101 didn't make a good drink in this instance, I might try again later but I also have a new bottle of Buffalo Trace which makes amazing drinks and is even cheaper, so...

I generally like it in an old-fashioned, I like the body it has more than normal turkey. Are you mixing it in anything more complicated than that? I haven't done much else with it when I have a bottle.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010
Port Charlotte is great. The 10 year is a dark, heavy smoke that lingers and tells stories around a fire. The NAS version is a light toast that's an easy drinker, but only goes to the fire to get some color on marshmallows. Very good, but very different flavor profiles.

The Classic Laddie is good if you want a Scotch made in an area of peat smoke, but not actively peated. Lots of character, not much smoke.

If you're in PA, your best bet is to drive out of state for it, NJ, DE, and MD being the popular options, but right now out of state plates are facing scrutiny there. :( I'm definitely slowly going through my supply from out of state.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

I use WT101 in:

Old Fashioned (basic bitters and syrup recipe)
Kentucky Mule
Mint Julep
Man o' War
Whiskey Sour (make your own mix from fresh fruit, it's seriously good)
Cooking

I personally think the spice and proof of it cuts through better, which I prefer, than a more mellow whiskey like BT.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
My local liquor store got a 15 year knob creek store pick in this week and I bought a bottle. It’s unbelievably good, from the first pour. Unbelievably deep and bold flavors, I don’t know if I’ve ever tasted a bourbon with such deep and intense caramel flavor. Super oily mouthfeel, I’m getting wet just thinking about it.

I’d quite seriously put it up against any bourbon I’ve ever had, 120 proof, 15 years, $43. What bourbon should be.

I went back up today to snag a second bottle to put away for the future and was told they are out. Some guy posted on Facebook about it and they sold through the entire barrel today.

One guy bought 6 cases... SIX cases. 36 bottles. Like $1700 or so after tax. God I hate this bourbon fad.

java
May 7, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

One guy bought 6 cases... SIX cases. 36 bottles. Like $1700 or so after tax. God I hate this bourbon fad.

Christ, that's loving obscene. Most places around here have a two bottle limit on anything unusual for this exact reason.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Re: the guy 9 posts ago

I always thought the aftertaste of wk101 was pretty metallic. Like I just had a filling inserted. Don’t know why, it’s not like that in any of their other whiskies

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 05:32 on May 9, 2020

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
What’s y’all’s favorite liquor cabinets or other hot whiskey storage tips? Gently shopping for something to build a collection in after I move into a house for the first time.

Most “alcohol focused” cabinet designs have a lot of room for laying bottles sideways which seems probably not great for liquor bottles (and we already got a wine fridge) so I’m expecting to just find some nice looking regular cabinet with at least 13” headroom on at least one of the shelves?

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

bitprophet posted:

What’s y’all’s favorite liquor cabinets or other hot whiskey storage tips? Gently shopping for something to build a collection in after I move into a house for the first time.

Most “alcohol focused” cabinet designs have a lot of room for laying bottles sideways which seems probably not great for liquor bottles (and we already got a wine fridge) so I’m expecting to just find some nice looking regular cabinet with at least 13” headroom on at least one of the shelves?

I just build them into the walls tbh

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Deceptive Thinker posted:

Eagle rare is older buffalo trace
Elijah Craig, Four Roses Small Batch, Wild Turkey 101, Knob Creek, and Old Forester 100 are probably the direction you want to go with the major distilleries

My store has all of these except for old forester 100. I picked up wild turkey 101 and Elijah Craig small batch.

I dunno when Virginia ABC stores will have Buffalo Trace or eagle rare in stock.

I tried wild turkey 101 neat. Compared to Buffalo Trace I think it tastes sweeter with some Caramel and toffee maybe, but wayyy loving stronger. Just not nearly as smooth. The next few sips were a bit better.

Over ice I think I can smell maple or sweetness coming through-but the strength isn’t really subdued at all. I could see mixing this for an old fashioned or mint julep maybe, but right now it’s a bit strong for my liking to have straight up.

I dunno-I’ve always sucked at tasting notes and picking up flavors and things-wine just tastes like wine to me.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

bitprophet posted:

I use a buffet-style cabinet/sideboard we got from Wayfair or some other online furniture company.
With like 75 bottles everything is snug but I've got room for about 10 more.

Edit: Its like ~4 feet tall has adjustable shelves so on one side I have them about even and on the other, the lower side I raised the shelf for taller bottles/tubes (Booker's, Octomore) and I can still fit Four Roses Single Barrel-height bottles on the top shelf

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 01:42 on May 10, 2020

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

bitprophet posted:

Some of it is in the hutch, some in the chest/trunk, some in the kitchen, some in the downstairs storage, some in the bedroom shelving, some in the safe, some in my office...

Location depends on rarity and need. Let's not talk about volume.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I'm hella cheap, so I've got an Ikea Billy with doors. Movable shelves, plenty of height.

Bottom half of the door is solid, top half is glass, so I keep all the glassware there.

KozmoNaut fucked around with this message at 08:46 on May 10, 2020

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

DoctaFun posted:

My local liquor store got a 15 year knob creek store pick in this week and I bought a bottle. It’s unbelievably good, from the first pour. Unbelievably deep and bold flavors, I don’t know if I’ve ever tasted a bourbon with such deep and intense caramel flavor. Super oily mouthfeel, I’m getting wet just thinking about it.

I’d quite seriously put it up against any bourbon I’ve ever had, 120 proof, 15 years, $43. What bourbon should be.

I went back up today to snag a second bottle to put away for the future and was told they are out. Some guy posted on Facebook about it and they sold through the entire barrel today.

Sorry I'm gonna have to whine about this. It sounds like you enjoyed it an awful lot, and yet you complain about someone buying six cases of the stuff? What if he was just stocking up for the future, exactly like you tried to do?

Whisk(e)y really comes down to personal preference, for all we know Knob Creek 15 is the only thing that guy ever drinks. Just like some people prefer to not have to think about what to wear in the morning, some people have a go-to whiskey that they just drink when they don't feel like making a decision.

If there's some indication he's buying purely to resell on secondary, sure, I get your point. But even at 36 bottles I'll give someone the benefit of the doubt.

Hell, some people buy casks for themselves.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 13:20 on May 10, 2020

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

zmcnulty posted:

Sorry I'm gonna have to whine about this. It sounds like you enjoyed it an awful lot, and yet you complain about someone buying six cases of the stuff? What if he was just stocking up for the future, exactly like you tried to do?

Whisk(e)y really comes down to personal preference, for all we know Knob Creek 15 is the only thing that guy ever drinks. Just like some people prefer to not have to think about what to wear in the morning, some people have a go-to whiskey that they just drink when they don't feel like making a decision.

If there's some indication he's buying purely to resell on secondary, sure, I get your point. But even at 36 bottles I'll give someone the benefit of the doubt.

You buy 36 bottles of anything for personal consumption?

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
I’m moving cross country soon and the movers won’t move alcohol so I’m trying to drink what I can solo during lockdown.

Let’s say I’m pretty hung over from finishing a quarter bottle of Glenfarclas 105 last night.

Reuben Sandwich
Jan 27, 2007

WT101 is middle of the road for me. Anything I don't care for neat or on the rocks goes to the mix section.

nwin posted:

I dunno when Virginia ABC stores will have Buffalo Trace or eagle rare in stock.
When my sister was checking for rares I can only remotely dream about in PA, Tuesday and Thursday are their preferred stocking days. You can set your primary store on the ABC site and do a check an hour before they open which shows them and nearby stores.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zmcnulty posted:

Lol, okay dude. 36 bottles and 3 bottles are definitely the same thing.

It’s guaranteed the guy is buying to sell on secondary, are you being real?

No one ‘only drinks knob creek 15’, that’s preposterous. These store picks aren’t extremely common, AND rumor is they will be going away since knob creek released a 12 year age stated core bottle.

The dude is buying to flip, plain and simple. We all know that.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Anyone had the Uncle Nearest? Either the 1856 or 1884? If so what'd you think?

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Nice piece of fish posted:

You buy 36 bottles of anything for personal consumption?

I bought a cask for personal consumption.

Whiskey's shelf life is basically infinity. Maybe he's a prepper thinking coronavirus is just gonna get worse.

DoctaFun posted:

AND rumor is they will be going away since knob creek released a 12 year age stated core bottle.

All the more reason to buy a shitload of it if you like it, imo.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 19:59 on May 10, 2020

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Weird hill to die on.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

zmcnulty posted:

I bought a cask for personal consumption.

Whiskey's shelf life is basically infinity. Maybe he's a prepper thinking coronavirus is just gonna get worse.

Buying an entire cask of whisky solo is something that a minuscule percentage of the world’s population has ever done. It is on the extreme side of extreme edge case scenarios.

In the current bourbon market, there’s a 99.999% chance this dude is buying to flip. I mean yeah, is possible that he’s buying it because he’s the world’s biggest knob creek fan, but it’s highly doubtful.

java
May 7, 2005

DoctaFun posted:

Buying an entire cask of whisky solo is something that a minuscule percentage of the world’s population has ever done. It is on the extreme side of extreme edge case scenarios.

In the current bourbon market, there’s a 99.999% chance this dude is buying to flip. I mean yeah, is possible that he’s buying it because he’s the world’s biggest knob creek fan, but it’s highly doubtful.

Rather than focusing blame on the individual for buying with the intention of flipping, imo stores need to enact 3 bottle limits. Regardless of how I feel about flippers, it's rational behavior from an individual perspective. If the industry wants to actually prevent this kind of behavior, limits need to be put in place at the point of distribution.

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

Eh, I know people that buy 2-3 cases of good barrel picks when the store allows them to and have no intention of reselling

6 is a bit excessive and probably nefarious but it is the store's fault

Edit: miscounted and thought a case was 6
I've seen people buy 12-20 bottles of stuff they like, but over 30 is probably excessive

Deceptive Thinker fucked around with this message at 22:37 on May 10, 2020

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Alright-Elijah Craig small batch:

Not bad. It’s just kinda meh. It’s smooth which I like but not a whole lot going on? I can easily drink this neat.

One thing I noticed is that after a few minutes I find it more enjoyable and easier to drink...noticed the same thing with the WT 101 last night, but it still had an edge. I dunno if that’s just getting numb to the initial sip or what.

So I like the smoothness of Elijah Craig but I like the flavor profile of 101.

What should I go for next?

Deceptive Thinker
Oct 5, 2005

nwin posted:

So I like the smoothness of Elijah Craig but I like the flavor profile of 101.

What should I go for next?

Part of the smoothness is probably because EC is 92 proof and WT101 is 101. Wild turkey in general has a bit more upfront rye spice and "warm Kentucky hug" than others too though.

Some suggestions:
Move up in price-point to Russell's Reserve or Kentucky Spirit
Budget-minded: Four Roses Small Batch is closer to WTs flavor than EC but at a lower proof and a smoother profile.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

zmcnulty posted:

I'm half-assed trying to get my dad to do this. Probably not a whole cask for himself, but I think it would be awesome to get me and him and a few other family and friends to go in on one of those barrel-sampling tours at a distillery and come home to bunch of family reserve whiskey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

nwin posted:

One thing I noticed is that after a few minutes I find it more enjoyable and easier to drink...noticed the same thing with the WT 101 last night, but it still had an edge. I dunno if that’s just getting numb to the initial sip or what.

Totally normal. It's like you get acclimated to the alcohol, and then can taste what's behind it.

I've also noticed whiskey tastes different depending on how hydrated I am that day.

Taste is strange.