Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mst4k
Apr 18, 2003

budlitemolaram

FF7 Character Guides

I really like this dudes character guide videos.. especially the "advanced" ones. Just an example but my first play through I totally missed that each characters focused attack increases stagger.

I'm really digging this game even though I beat it like 3 weeks ago. I really wish they'd announce some end game DLC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I was thinking about Jessie probably still being alive and my third eye was opened to a possibility for the next game

Gold Saucer date with Jessie

Werewolf of London
Feb 23, 2010

Not one step back
From my loooove~~

thebardyspoon posted:

Beat the VR mission thanks to Werewolf of Londons patented "elemental fire on armour and then bathe in Ifrits healing beams" plan and then smashed through the rest of the game on hard. The pain points for me were hell house for a bit and then even with the ultimate accessory the rush of whisper fights at the end got a bit annoying, Cloud got knocked out of ascension 4 times in the windup and then Bahamut did megaflare about 2 seconds after he appeared which was unfortunate.

All right! Good job! Hope you joined the platinum team!

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

karma_coma posted:

FF7 Character Guides

I really like this dudes character guide videos.. especially the "advanced" ones. Just an example but my first play through I totally missed that each characters focused attack increases stagger.

I'm really digging this game even though I beat it like 3 weeks ago. I really wish they'd announce some end game DLC.

Read the tooltips.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

I was thinking about Jessie probably still being alive and my third eye was opened to a possibility for the next game

Gold Saucer date with Jessie

Sorry but Jessie is very much dead :(

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

I just beat the Top Secrets simulation battle too, I was getting frustrated because everything up to Bahamut was just a tedious slog that posed absolutely zero threat and then Bahamut suddenly pushed my poo poo in. Turns out the trick is to not care at all about defense and just go balls to the wall offense lol. Basically just lifted that speedrunner's build and then adapted it for someone who hasn't completely broken the game over their knee (mostly switching around a couple materia and substituting some accessories because gently caress doing half of Chapter 9 another two times just to farm Fury Rings).

Didn't even bring a healing or HP Up materia lol. Got a little hairy on Leviathan but Bahamut didn't even get to summon Ifrit and I don't think his countdown even hit 6.

Also Chadley's monologue afterwards followed by Cloud just saying "cool" was amazing. Now to blitz through the rest of hard mode with this accessory.

night slime
May 14, 2014
What does Barret say when Aeris dies in battle? I can only hear "That the girl who saved my Marlene?" I like the idea that he still doesn't really know who she is but assume I'm missing a word or two the beginning.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

Then I guess I have a GHOST TO KILL

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

time stuff has been introduced and until the exact mechanics of it have been firmly established everyone is simultaneously both dead and alive

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Gold Saucer date with Roche

*Nods slowly* Mmm yesss....

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

Flopsy posted:

*Nods slowly* Mmm yesss....

You are all fools. Gold Saucer date with Johnny! You want to.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
Gold Saucer date...with one of the Turks. :thunk:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Gold Saucer date with a golden saucer.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

Gold Saucer date...with one of the Turks. :thunk:

Uh..*adjusts glasses* I think you mean ALL the turks squeezed into one gondola with Cloud. *sniffs*

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

cock hero flux posted:

time stuff has been introduced and until the exact mechanics of it have been firmly established everyone is simultaneously both dead and alive

Except there won't be an establishment. Without fate, everyone is dead and alive for all eternity. There is only madness now.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

night slime posted:

What does Barret say when Aeris dies in battle? I can only hear "That the girl who saved my Marlene?" I like the idea that he still doesn't really know who she is but assume I'm missing a word or two the beginning.

I think it's 'this's how you repay the girl that saved Marlene?', if I remember it right.

I had kind of a rough time on the Arsenal boss, and AI Aerith seemed to always be in the line of fire when it launched plasma cannon, so I heard it plenty.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

cock hero flux posted:

Sure but she'll be an actress in Loveless at the Golden Saucer and have no loving idea who any of us are.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

edit: woops

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Proteus Jones posted:

Sure but she'll be an actress in Loveless at the Golden Saucer and have no loving idea who any of us are.

Now THIS would be a fun way to gently caress with time.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"
So anyway here's more Ultimania stuff.

https://twitter.com/aitaikimochi/status/1259402537939030017

They're being about as coy about Sephiroth seeing the future as they were about the different Stamp dog so suspicions confirmed, lol

Saying that the "through suffering, you will grow strong" line sounds like "harsh words of encouragement" is pretty interesting.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Could somebody repost the ultimania bit where it talks about how Nomura had to tone back what the staffers wanted to do with the ending? Need it for ownage purposes.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Dell_Zincht posted:

Okay, so we're gonna mostly be confined to the Haunted Hotel then.

That's fine, she can probably make some innuendo off that.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Also Aerith's "Guess it wasn't meant to be" upon dying in battle got a lot funnier/darker upon realizing what she probably knows of the timeline.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Hizawk posted:

The only part of the game that sucked was switching back and forth between the parties and reqequipping all the good leveled materia because I diddnt have enough to deck out all four party members.
looking forward to part two where you have to do that for twice as many characters

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Agents are GO! posted:

Could somebody repost the ultimania bit where it talks about how Nomura had to tone back what the staffers wanted to do with the ending? Need it for ownage purposes.

Sure.

https://aitaikimochi.tumblr.com/post/616804865416527872

quote:

—In regards to the story’s important key points, there must be a flashback scene from here on out, right?

Nomura: At first, the direction we took was that we did not want to put any of these hints while still in Midgar.

Nojima: Right, we originally planned to have the storyline diverge only slightly.

Nomura: We thought to have only a subtle change where in the ending you see Biggs alive, which makes you think, “Wait, this is weird…” and gives a slight sense of unease. But then the staff thought, well if there’s room for more scenes, then let’s just add it (laughs). When we did that, there were scenes that we had to say, “No this won’t do,” and removed it from the story. We didn’t add too many new things, but we did leave a few scenes in.

Nojima: I myself added about two or three scenarios to that too….I’m not too sure what happened to those scenarios at the end. (laughs)

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Nihilarian posted:

looking forward to part two where you have to do that for twice as many characters

this but unironically

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013

I don’t know what’s more surreal. The fact that Nomura tried to reign in the crazy. Or the terrifying idea that Nomura did succeed, and the ending was the other writers being restrained.

(Don’t get me wrong. I love the crazy poo poo. I just find it amusing, that’s all)

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

This really makes it seem like they have no clue what they actually want to do with future installments.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
not really but you do you

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Cross-posting this from the GBS Thread because it deserves more mockery.

Dumb Lowtax posted:

I finished a full watch-through now. Since I had a Chinese speaker handy, I was lucky enough to experience it without the English translation and voice acting. It was a lot of fun.

I'd post about the ending in the spoiler thread but that crowd seem to take this game way more seriously than us, so I'll just ponder things in here instead. I'll tag it and try to leave out any specifics in case anyone mouseovers.

My stepbrother showed me FF7 as a kid and now we reconnected to enjoy Part 1. He says he has high hopes for part 2 "as long as it doesn't turn into Kingdom Hearts, same director. Here's hoping"

I've never played Kingdom Hearts, and thoroughly don't get it, but I still can see a lot of signs this project is heading in that direction. Square went for a more child friendly "Teen" ESRB rating, as if preparing for a more Kingdom Hearts audience. To do so they removed all the blood from Jenova's original escape sequence, which is now Nickelodeon ooze. Certain original Honeybee Inn content (like the funniest room) and shots of soldier carnage are not shown. Besides the ESRB choices, they added an annoying science kid who looks so straight out of KH that we're really only missing Donald Duck!

And that ending is so clearly intentionally designed to give Nomura the excuse he needs to move that direction, don't you think?

As soon as Nomura had the freedom to end the game in a new way, he went with what I assume to be KH style nonsense. The whole last hour kind of went mad not just in terms of storytelling, but in characters breaking the fourth wall by magically explaining the worldbuilding details and script interpretations they shouldn't know about.

The execs really did just throw in whatever they wanted for the last hour or so, eh? I'd love to have been a fly on the wall during that meeting. They finally decided on an ending that's specifically designed to release them to do whatever they want with the franchise now. Soon enough EVERYONE will be wearing a Rufus belt-dress, and have one wing for no reason. I'm sure THAT wasn't the goal, though it will be a silly side effect -- the real goal was probably to just free the company Square Enix from any obligations to remake such a long game in maximum detail. It was a purely financial consideration. They can't afford to do the "whole" remake in this economy.

Here's my new interpretation of that ending now that I've seen it and had some time to process it: How about if it's another breaking of the fourth wall. The "Fate" ghosts represent the Square Enix developer and artist team -- all the employees and staff, embodied as in-game monsters. Specifically, the ghosts represent the team's collective intentions to make the remake faithful and reverent to the original. Whenever the project gets off track, the ghosts lovingly correct course, for the fans. Finally, the game forces you to crush all their dreams by fighting them. Each ghost you destroy causes another writer's decisions to be overruled, and perhaps another artist to be laid off without severance pay. At last, the player wins (they're forced to win) -- and with that, the dreams of Part 2 continuing in a way that respects and understands the original are crushed, and Nomura is now free. No longer bound to the rules of Fate or FF7's plot, he may make another series into his Kingdom Hearts. The corporation (Square-Enix) wins at the cost of everything, which is what the true spirit of FF7 was all about! :haw:

I just want to revisit how loving dumb this take is in light of the ultimania guide basically stating that it was exactly the loving opposite - Nomura ended up being the one who was restraining things.

Agents are GO! posted:

Onmi posted:

Sure.

https://aitaikimochi.tumblr.com/post/616804865416527872

quote:

—In regards to the story’s important key points, there must be a flashback scene from here on out, right?

Nomura: At first, the direction we took was that we did not want to put any of these hints while still in Midgar.

Nojima: Right, we originally planned to have the storyline diverge only slightly.

Nomura: We thought to have only a subtle change where in the ending you see Biggs alive, which makes you think, “Wait, this is weird…” and gives a slight sense of unease. But then the staff thought, well if there’s room for more scenes, then let’s just add it (laughs). When we did that, there were scenes that we had to say, “No this won’t do,” and removed it from the story. We didn’t add too many new things, but we did leave a few scenes in.

Nojima: I myself added about two or three scenarios to that too….I’m not too sure what happened to those scenarios at the end. (laughs)

loooooooooooool

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

don’t post in gbs

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"The ending changed slightly through a collaborative writing process during development"

Me, a genius: Wow these people don't know WHAT they're doing

Beefstew
Oct 30, 2010

I told you that story so I could tell you this one...

Waffleman_ posted:

"The ending changed slightly through a collaborative writing process during development"

Me, a genius: Wow these people don't know WHAT they're doing

Yep.

Logical1234
Dec 3, 2013
I’m now imagining that Nomura is actually that one sane guy, and that Kingdom Hearts was him failing to keep everyone else restrained. He learned from that attempt and succeed in FF7 . I doubt it, but it still funny to imagine

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Kingdom Hearts is confusing yet lovable nonsense, but if anyone says they're worried about FF7R because of KH and Nomura's name, it is safe to assume that they cannot and have not formed an opinion on the game that is with listening to. Like, these people beat the game and presumably viewed the credits which showed who wrote the thing.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Agents are GO! posted:

Cross-posting this from the GBS Thread because it deserves more mockery.

I just want to revisit how loving dumb this take is in light of the ultimania guide basically stating that it was exactly the loving opposite - Nomura ended up being the one who was restraining things.

Wow...what an incredible piss baby.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Me or him? :ohdear:

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Oh jeez! Not you! I'm just tired of these takes where people act like the remake pissed in their cereal that's all. Sorry for not being clearer bout' it.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Oh no prob. Thing I thought was funny is that he didn't even play it, he watched a Japanese playthrough with somebody else translating for him lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012
I've said it once and I'll say it again: people love blaming Nomura for every single thing they don't about a game, regardless of whether what they didn't like was even remotely related to his job. the guy's worst crime is adding too many belts to outfits sometimes but no somehow he's responsible for S-E's corporate structure and every bad part of a game that has ever happened.

like some person in this thread or the FF thread was blaming him for things in FFXV, a game that he had no hand in whatsoever after they actually started real development on it.