Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Vitamin P posted:

So they're already extending the furlough well past the point they say we'll be back at work but at a rate insufficient for poorer workers to live on what the gently caress is happening

people were suggesting it's a way to drive workers out of their furloughed jobs so they look for new (non-furloughed) ones, without anyone having to pay redundancy :thumbsup:

e- current alert level is 53%

baka kaba fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 10, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
This graph bothers me

Why the gently caress is the R=1 line vertical?

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Lungboy posted:

This graph bothers me

That graph sort of makes sense, in a vague way. If you assume that the vertical axis is new cases and the horizontal axis is time then at the peak R=1 (because when R=1 new cases are constant).

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

Josef bugman posted:

The fact that a lot of the major museums are collectively going "no, lol" to the governments statements is kind of hilarious to me.
Yeah, can't see my work reopening until the schools do, and even then it may be a while before any school will be happy to visit.

They may get us back in to look at the extension and learn the new exhibits, or maybe just do miscellaneous things, before we reopen though.

I want to go back to work, but I'm also fully aware that a hands-on science centre is, by definition, somewhere where every surface is a contact surface.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Hallucinogenic Toreador posted:

That graph sort of makes sense, in a vague way. If you assume that the vertical axis is new cases and the horizontal axis is time then at the peak R=1 (because when R=1 new cases are constant).

But R is related to time, so it should be on the Y axis not X, same as new cases would be. See this scottish version from the other day:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It makes sense if you think, as the government probably does, that R cannot go back up because we sorted it :v:

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
What do they mean lifting restrictions on exercise, I didn't know there were any

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

Crankit posted:

What do they mean lifting restrictions on exercise, I didn't know there were any

Unless there's been new legislation while I wasn't paying attention there aren't, but there's a popular idea that you're limited to one hour of exercise once per day. The government seems to believe this despite them writing the law that doesn't say that.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It means next week the briefings are gonna be done like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozoTzkCeO-A

Also this is the new format for the NHS clap.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 00:27 on May 11, 2020

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

Lungboy posted:

This graph bothers me

I think it's meant to denote the point on the x-axis where R equals one, but overall the graph is wrong because it suggests R=1 is the peak rather than a decline from R>1

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

big scary monsters posted:

Unless there's been new legislation while I wasn't paying attention there aren't, but there's a popular idea that you're limited to one hour of exercise once per day. The government seems to believe this despite them writing the law that doesn't say that.

I think it's just Wales that specifies people could only exercise once a day, so all this means is Bojo was telling Wales that it's his rules that apply to the whole country. Even though it doesn't work like that.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/JosieLong/status/1259561885676048385

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://twitter.com/DoubleDownNews/status/1259425762802884608

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Boris asked for everyone to exercise no more than once a day, but it wasn't written into law because even the Tories have enough self awareness to realise there aren't enough police left to enforce that.

Hallucinogenic Toreador
Nov 21, 2000

Whoooooahh I'd be
Nothin' without you
Baaaaaa-by

Lungboy posted:

But R is related to time, so it should be on the Y axis not X, same as new cases would be. See this scottish version from the other day:

The Scottish graph is plotting R on one of it's Y-axes, so R=1 is a horizontal line. The English graph isn't plotting R, it's just using a vertical line to mark the time when R=1. To be clear, the fact that we're having this conversation proves that it is a confusing graph, but that line isn't wrong per se.

(In fact the Scottish graph is wrong because it doesn't have R=1 coinciding with each of the local peaks, although they did line it up for the first peak. Edit: my mistake, R=1 only coincides with the peak of new cases, the Scottish graph is just current cases.)

Hallucinogenic Toreador fucked around with this message at 00:31 on May 11, 2020

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
https://twitter.com/skyandyhughes/status/1259601576575959040?s=21

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Paul.Power posted:

Yeah, can't see my work reopening until the schools do, and even then it may be a while before any school will be happy to visit.

They may get us back in to look at the extension and learn the new exhibits, or maybe just do miscellaneous things, before we reopen though.

I want to go back to work, but I'm also fully aware that a hands-on science centre is, by definition, somewhere where every surface is a contact surface.

I love that they tried to do the whole "well if you up the pay to employees this will look very poor when you are asking for funding. As if funding hasn't been being cut every loving year anyway.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

just go around trying to sneak up on people and shouting 'boo'. if they jump, that's signs of a lack of being alert and you know how to fix that! jail

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

xtothez posted:

Boris asked for everyone to exercise no more than once a day, but it wasn't written into law because even the Tories have enough self awareness to realise there aren't enough police left to enforce that.

Ah right, thanks.

I don't think all restrictions necessarily have to be backed by law, plenty of countries seem to have done OK with some part of their response being voluntary measures. But where that's been effective it's been backed with clear, consistent government communication over weeks, not the entire country trying to interpret a vague and contradictory series of off-the-cuff remarks from various ministers.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
we can't figure out what the deal is exactly and we're all hopeless politics nerds, what goddamn hope do normal human beings with stuff to think about have

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Ah right, thanks.

I don't think all restrictions necessarily have to be backed by law, plenty of countries seem to have done OK with some part of their response being voluntary measures. But where that's been effective it's been backed with clear, consistent government communication over weeks, not the entire country trying to interpret a vague and contradictory series of off-the-cuff remarks from various ministers.

What gets me is the tory cult all claiming the messaging tonight was clear and unambiguous. I didn't watch it, I had a nap. But judging from the comments of everyone who doesn't have a union jack in their profile pic, they are in a minority.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
He spoke for 13 minutes but communicated gently caress all

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Ah right, thanks.

It's also the fact that the media and the Tories are both libertarian as gently caress, and if there's one thing a libertarian doesn't like, it's the Government telling them what to do.
So there's this natural resistance from a large number of people against the politicians they voted for. Basically, the media and the Tories have been trying hard for decades to turn the British people into cunts, and they've got what they wanted.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

crispix posted:

He spoke for 13 minutes but communicated gently caress all

He communicated that any further deaths are our fault, not his.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug
https://twitter.com/JasonGolf7R/status/1259579364691279872

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

They’ll reduce the furlough payments but start offering cash rewards to people who snitch on their neighbours for having a barbecue or sunbathing in the garden (stay alert!).

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008
Even Kuenssberg can't avoid hinting that Johnson's hated by most of his party

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

One day, we’ll look back on this time and say “hey, remember when all the right-wing papers actively tried to murder their own readership?”, and we’ll laugh. If any of us are left.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You don't need to wait to do that. Live in the moment.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

https://twitter.com/transscribe/status/1259431440988737537?s=20

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Clapping is the UK's "thoughts and prayers".

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

Eagerly waiting for the first “my dad dragged me away from fortnight to play some stupid golf again fml” post

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

I take it the speech did not go well. Even he nominally soft Tories on my Facebook wall are having a go

Lord Ludikrous
Jun 7, 2008

Enjoy your tea...

What the gently caress does stay alert even mean? Stay alert for what?

Is COVID19 like The Flood or something where you have to stay alert lest you get overwhelmed by a swarm of infection forms?

For what it’s worth at my job they’ve said nothing has changed for now. Furloughed staff are still furloughed and those working from home will continue to do so. Traffic was dead coming in this morning but will see how that changes.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's almost like a sense of general and nondescript fear is useful to right wing governments.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Angepain posted:

just go around trying to sneak up on people and shouting 'boo'. if they jump, that's signs of a lack of being alert and you know how to fix that! jail
stealth cops wearing cardboard boxes or potted plants, trying to get within 2m of someone to arrest them for insufficient alertness

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
There is apparently a 50 page guidance thingy coming out at 2pm today.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Sure hope none of the people Boris just sent back to work need any health & safety guidance for the next 6 hours

Oodles
Oct 31, 2005

Jippa posted:

Clapping is the UK's "thoughts and prayers".

Clapping I can understand, but banging pots and pans is just an arms race to make the most noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Oodles posted:

Clapping I can understand, but banging pots and pans is just an arms race to make the most noise.

1 decibel = 1 respect