Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Sunswipe posted:

I can't forgive anyone who was responsible for The Matrix films.
The collective urge to give Keanu an eternal blowjob is tiresome, but The Matrix is absolutely a modern classic.

The sequels? Definitely not. I still remember how pissed I was in 2003 when they say "oh yeah btw rogue/outdated programs/viruses are what account for ghosts, werewolves, vampires, and aliens" and they make it sound like there's gonna be this whole new badass special effects bonanza with Neo fighting monsters... and then it turns out to be a bunch more club kids but this time they pull weapons off the wall.

gently caress that loving noise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

The first Matrix was great and absolutely holds up, but pretend it ends 5 seconds early with Neo walking into the crowd instead of dumb flying bit right at the end.

Reloaded is terrible, and was apparently written entirely by the kind of tiresome people who liked to have deep intellectual conversations about the original.

Revolutions is literally unwatchable. It's a ninety minute mech fight centred around characters you never heard of unless you watched some anime dogshit and played a lovely video game.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Reloaded at least had the highway fight and threw in some good plot hooks at the end like Neo killing a robot outside the matrix (the architect talk was dumb as hell though). It wasn’t a good movie but it was good at getting you super hyped to see what would happen next.

Then revolutions came out and the cool plot hooks either went nowhere (the Merovigian’s weird group of programs) or were ignored completely (seriously how did he kill that robot). The main action scene was a bunch of people in robots shooting at some black mold on the ceiling. And since Reloaded and Revolutions were basically made to be two halves of one movie, by making GBS threads the bed so hard it made Reloaded, which was already on shaky ground, basically terrible.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There was one good part in Revolutions-- the initial realization that he was trapped in the train station.

Literally everything else I remember about that movie was garbage, unless you're one of those people who thinks the DBZ fight at the end is good... which I do not. Like it's technically competent but it's such a narrative dud I find it very hard to get excited about even as spectacle.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I watched the first Matrix for the first time in a solid decade and...eh. The acting is not great and I guess my appreciation for good action scenes has evolved because a bunch of Hong Kong fight punch effects just sounds silly now. The film had style though and the story was solid. Reloaded had a good start with lots of potential and all of it ended when the Ghost Twins died without any interesting backstory.

mind the walrus posted:

The collective urge to give Keanu an eternal blowjob is tiresome, but The Matrix is absolutely a modern classic.

Keanu is a really nice person and an average actor who works hard and is incredibly lucky picking movie roles and that's all he really needs to be.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Krispy Wafer posted:

I watched the first Matrix for the first time in a solid decade and...eh. The acting is not great and I guess my appreciation for good action scenes has evolved because a bunch of Hong Kong fight punch effects just sounds silly now. The film had style though and the story was solid. Reloaded had a good start with lots of potential and all of it ended when the Ghost Twins died without any interesting backstory.
I saw it for a 20th Anniversary screening (gently caress we're old) last year and it still plays really well on a big screen. Like yeah it's silly but I mean, so is most popular action stuff, and they don't have the benefit of being a very obvious trans narrative with hindsight.

quote:

Keanu is a really nice person and an average actor who works hard and is incredibly lucky picking movie roles and that's all he really needs to be.
I think average is generous, tbh, but he is really good at physical action work which is why he got a second wind with John Wick. But yeah he doesn't need to be more.. .which is why it's really creepy when reddit and the world try to make it more.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
Keanu Reeves is also a great martial arts movie director and if you haven’t seen Man of Tai Chi you should fix that ASAP.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Sweevo posted:

Revolutions is literally unwatchable. It's a ninety minute mech fight centred around characters you never heard of unless you watched some anime dogshit and played a lovely video game.

The Animatrix is really good though, it's too bad we didn't get more things like that.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

The Animatrix is really good though, it's too bad we didn't get more things like that.
Parts are good. The Second Renaissance is solid if you ignore the goofy-as-gently caress robot designs. The one with the athlete running is really good. The one with the kids discovering the glitch area is really good.

The rest are all either forgettable, or in the case of that Square-Enix one borderline unwatchable.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mind the walrus posted:

Parts are good. The Second Renaissance is solid if you ignore the goofy-as-gently caress robot designs. The one with the athlete running is really good. The one with the kids discovering the glitch area is really good.

The rest are all either forgettable, or in the case of that Square-Enix one borderline unwatchable.

That's fair enough

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

The Matrix trilogy is always worth watching in my opinion, but a big deal was made about how smart and philosophical it was when it’s on the level of a kid In 10th grade smoking weed and asking his friend what if like we were asleep and this is a dream

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Like the main bad guy asks him why he does stuff and he says, get this, because I choose to (passes out)

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

the matrix was an amazing entrée to a main course that never fully materialized, so now it's caught in a weird place where you ideally ignore what came after it even tho doing so leaves the first one a little bare and underdeveloped

still a 90s classic tho

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

mind the walrus posted:

lol they played the Square-Enix one in front of some other terrible movie to promote the sequels.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Len posted:

He made Weird Al feel bad

OK, but was he Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber at the time? Because he shouldn't be held responsible for anything his characters did.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY posted:

lol they played the Square-Enix one in front of some other terrible movie to promote the sequels.

It’s the one that directly ties into the story even though it answers a question that nobody asked (how did they know all the sentinels were digging to Zion?).

The first movie had the benefit of years and years of pre-production where the sequels didn’t. That and the fact that the studio let them do whatever they want were the main problems with the sequels. Tighter writing and editing would have solved many of their problems. There’s probably a really good 2 hour sequel somewhere in that 5 hours we ended up getting.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Yea, its called Path of Neo. Matrix Revolutions would be a classic if it played We Are The Champions after a fight with a giant mecha Smith.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Honestly that would have been better than what we got. Full-blown self parody would have been preferred.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
The most positive thing I can say about the Matrix sequels is that I'm still really excited about the fourth one they announced they're doing.

The Matrix sequels are my favorite kind of bad: ambitious and uncharted. Yeah, they hosed up, but I can't point you to anyone who did it better because the thing they tried to do basically just didn't exist (and probably still doesn't). It's a hell of a lot better to have in the world than Justice League failing at being something we already got in The Avengers, or Star Wars failing at being something we already got in Star Wars.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

christmas boots posted:

OK, but was he Sir Andrew Lloyd Weber at the time? Because he shouldn't be held responsible for anything his characters did.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rp-l0s3PokA

Very much not.

IshmaelZarkov
Jun 20, 2013

Cleretic posted:

The most positive thing I can say about the Matrix sequels is that I'm still really excited about the fourth one they announced they're doing.

The Matrix sequels are my favorite kind of bad: ambitious and uncharted. Yeah, they hosed up, but I can't point you to anyone who did it better because the thing they tried to do basically just didn't exist (and probably still doesn't). It's a hell of a lot better to have in the world than Justice League failing at being something we already got in The Avengers, or Star Wars failing at being something we already got in Star Wars.

Thank you for putting into words the weird feeling I've had about the Matrix sequels for years. They had the makings of something unique and great, and they don't get enough credit for it.

Honestly, my biggest gripe is that I love the idea of the Merovingian and I don't think it was used enough. The idea of a sentient desktop recycle bin that HASN'T been clicking 'empty bin' after programs are deleted, but has been building a black market empire of discontinued programs? Show me more about that dude! I don't need more Neo, I want to hear toaster crime lord stories.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

I know this was two pages ago but is there a blog or a newsletter where I can watch Neil Gaiman realize he has the worst taste in women in real time?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Len posted:

He made Weird Al feel bad

On the other hand, Weird Al is a perfect human being and should be on the shelf with the other living paragons of humanity.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

VanSandman posted:

I know this was two pages ago but is there a blog or a newsletter where I can watch Neil Gaiman realize he has the worst taste in women in real time?

He used to have a blog.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

lol I think I remember Weird talking about this on a Comedy Bang Bang podcast.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cleretic posted:

I'm dimly optimistic because 20 years is enough time for people to think of some new concept and follow through, but I refuse to buy that the sequels were that uncharted when they go out of their way to introduce monsters and then do nothing. I am going to die mad about that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
The Matrix didn't need any sequels and it should have stayed that way. The ending has the perfect amount of closure imo.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

mind the walrus posted:

I'm dimly optimistic because 20 years is enough time for people to think of some new concept and follow through, but I refuse to buy that the sequels were that uncharted when they go out of their way to introduce monsters and then do nothing. I am going to die mad about that.

Oh, I don't mean 'uncharted' as in 'they had no plans', I mean 'uncharted' as in 'nobody's been out here before'. You can't say the Matrix sequels were a failed attempt at X Existing Successful Thing, they were trying to make something unique that hadn't been made before. And I respect that a hell of a lot.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I do not respect the rave scene.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

One part of the Matrix that holds up really well is 1999 being the peak of human civilization.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Cleretic posted:

Oh, I don't mean 'uncharted' as in 'they had no plans', I mean 'uncharted' as in 'nobody's been out here before'. You can't say the Matrix sequels were a failed attempt at X Existing Successful Thing, they were trying to make something unique that hadn't been made before. And I respect that a hell of a lot.
That's what I mean. I don't think they were ambitious as much as "Well we need something and we only have two years to do it or else we don't get another dump truck full of money." It was uncharted because no one goes out that way for a reason. The only truly consistent idea seemed to be adding "more" was the call-- more video game tie-ins, more animation tie-ins, more CGI pushing-- but at no point does it feel like they had a story to tell.

christmas boots posted:

The Matrix didn't need any sequels and it should have stayed that way. The ending has the perfect amount of closure imo.
Bingo. It's been said a million times-- it's the perfect adolescent empowerment fantasy, most likely because the Wachowskis were infusing it with their own experience as trans women, suffused with being the flashpoint for groundbreaking cinema tech and getting the cocktail of 90s club wear, wire fu wuxia, pseudo-spiritual transhumanism, anime and video game conventions, and late-century US ennui exactly right. It is absolutely a story that never needed any follow-up.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

I just watched the made for TV movie Body Bags by John Carpenter, and the first two shorts are pretty good campy horror, and then half way though the third one BAM! full P in V scene featuring Mark Hamill bare assed and balls deep in Twiggy.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

I just watched the made for TV movie Body Bags by John Carpenter, and the first two shorts are pretty good campy horror, and then half way though the third one BAM! full P in V scene featuring Mark Hamill bare assed and balls deep in Twiggy.

Amazing parental warning for it on imdb:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Fun fact: the title “body bags” is referring to mark hamills testicles

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014
Tori Amos can gently caress off as well.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Disgusting Coward posted:

Tori Amos can gently caress off as well.

What did she do?

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

Absurd Alhazred posted:

What did she do?

She knows what she did

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

mind the walrus posted:

That's what I mean. I don't think they were ambitious as much as "Well we need something and we only have two years to do it or else we don't get another dump truck full of money." It was uncharted because no one goes out that way for a reason. The only truly consistent idea seemed to be adding "more" was the call-- more video game tie-ins, more animation tie-ins, more CGI pushing-- but at no point does it feel like they had a story to tell.

Bingo. It's been said a million times-- it's the perfect adolescent empowerment fantasy, most likely because the Wachowskis were infusing it with their own experience as trans women, suffused with being the flashpoint for groundbreaking cinema tech and getting the cocktail of 90s club wear, wire fu wuxia, pseudo-spiritual transhumanism, anime and video game conventions, and late-century US ennui exactly right. It is absolutely a story that never needed any follow-up.

It seems like the purpose of the sequels was to move the idea past an adolescent empowerment fantasy. Instead of just getting to being the unique special person who knows its all bullshit maaaan, how do you move forward to break the cycles of oppression to create something new? That's ultimately why it ends with Neo rejecting Smith's nihilism to create the opportunity to hope for the future. Things actually working out is obviously tenuous and uncertain but its hope.

If anything, the thing that has aged the worst about the sequels is having the whole thing culminate in rejecting nihilism.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Shiroc posted:

It seems like the purpose of the sequels was to move the idea past an adolescent empowerment fantasy. Instead of just getting to being the unique special person who knows its all bullshit maaaan, how do you move forward to break the cycles of oppression to create something new? That's ultimately why it ends with Neo rejecting Smith's nihilism to create the opportunity to hope for the future. Things actually working out is obviously tenuous and uncertain but its hope.

If anything, the thing that has aged the worst about the sequels is having the whole thing culminate in rejecting nihilism.
It was an admirable philosophical intent, but execution always matters more and they executed the idea pretty loving terribly, and it was obvious they hadn't planned to.

Very few movie universes feel "done" the way the first Matrix feels "done." The main character unlocked God Mode, taps on the fourth wall, and flies into the camera. You really get the feeling the filmmakers put everything they had into it, which is why the second two really do have that hangover vibe. "I don't know, maybe there's like... a key-guy? And a rogue program who lives there? Yeah and like a rave to show how everyone is totally connected to the earth. Yeah total rave. That's gonna play really well in 2003 and not feel dated at all. Oh and Smith like... there's a copy, and a copy and a copy. That's brilliant."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell

mind the walrus posted:

I saw it for a 20th Anniversary screening (gently caress we're old) last year and it still plays really well on a big screen. Like yeah it's silly but I mean, so is most popular action stuff, and they don't have the benefit of being a very obvious trans narrative with hindsight.

I think average is generous, tbh, but he is really good at physical action work which is why he got a second wind with John Wick. But yeah he doesn't need to be more.. .which is why it's really creepy when reddit and the world try to make it more.

Yeah. Some of his lines and nonfighty scenes in John Wick 2+3 are incredibly poorly performed. He’s not a good actor by any stretch, even if he’s a great performer in a few select areas.