Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pram
Jun 10, 2001
it basically means if you bought ram that was faster than 2666mhz and enabled the BUILT IN XMP PROFILE you voided your warranty

intel. lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cybrancyborg
Jan 24, 2008

How this ends still hasn't been unwritten...

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

thanks

stupid question though, shouldn't the CPU be working fine with the default settings on these 4 different motherboards i've now tried? my last cpu was an i7 930 from like a decade ago; do you have to fudge with voltages and stuff these days? (i realize you are only telling me to do this to test the CPU but i don't wanna fry the replacement if Intel hopefully doesnt screw me on replacing it)

It SHOULD. I just mean that you can test positively for the CPU being defective or damaged by upping the voltage to it and seeing if that gets it working as expected. Needing the extra voltage to work would itself be your indicator that something is definitely wrong with it. When I had an old Athlon XP that was defective, I just used it overvolted until I needed something new. Your 9700K is a lot more expensive, so demonstrating its defective and getting it replaced would be worthwhile, in my opnion.

netwerk23
Aug 22, 2000
I spelled 'network' wrong.
I have an odd issue. Work gave me a project to upgrade a bunch of HP ProBook 650 G1's. They're older but all in working condition, with 4GB and 500GB SATA drives on Win7 Pro.

I bought a pile of 8GB RAM from Crucial and a pile of HP SSDs, (this one).

First step was to boot to Win7 and upgrade to the newest BIOS, 1.50. Then I installed the RAM and SSDs and started installing WinX Pro x64 1909, booting from a USB drive.

Here's the problem - about a third of them don't recognize the SSD, or they recognize them but neither WinX, nor Win7, nor Fedora can write to them. They all fail during the partitioning step. It seems like there may be a motherboard revision that doesn't support something about these SSDs. The ones that do support them recognize, install and boot nice and quick. The ones that don't, refuse. All have identical BIOS settings.

I even tried cloning one of the Win7 SATAs to an SSD using dd and it would boot from the SATA drive, not from the SSD. Is it possible to upgrade the firmware of the motherboard's storage controller specifically? I checked HP but nothing that looks good.

Edit: did another one, the WinX error is 'Could not install..check drive media...ox80300024

edit: tried a spare Samsung 512GB SSD and it works fine. Some kind of firmware issue between that specific HP SSD and some ProBook motherboards. It's only a handful, I'll skip them.

netwerk23 fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 8, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

it basically means if you bought ram that was faster than 2666mhz and enabled the BUILT IN XMP PROFILE you voided your warranty

intel. lmao

stupid question here

my RAM is Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz

does that mean i actually have to change the default settings in my BIOS (when i get the replacement motherboard) to tell it to run the RAM at 2666mhz?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

it's going to depend on your motherboard. some will default to the standard 2666 memory profile, others will enable XMP by default

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice
loving lmao

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

stupid question here

does that mean i actually have to change the default settings in my BIOS (when i get the replacement motherboard) to tell it to run the RAM at 2666mhz?

You’ll have to tell it to run at that speed unless it has a native setting for that speed (AMD is big into higher speed memory so some of the tweaker X570 chipset boards might have it built in for 2666 but I’m not sure about your specific case) otherwise you have to overclock it (with a custom XMPP profile). But the board will recognize the RAM and use it at whatever the highest default clock speed it has even without a custom profile, it just won’t be as fast.

That being said, memory speed is only ever going to provide a p.marginal boost in performance. Higher speed is going to be faster but it’s not going to be :gizz:.

It’s one of those things where, once you get beyond a certain threshold the benefits for most users for most applications rapidly diminishes.

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 21:45 on May 8, 2020

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
thanks for the replies!

i dont mind running it at 2666mhz, it's just that i never really mess with BIOS settings unless i have to. so maybe since my ram is 3200MHz, the mobo automatically sets it to 3200mhz, slowly killing the CPU?

i would hope the default setting is the one that won't void my warranty lol

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
chumba whumba

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It isn’t quite “If it fits it ships” but as long as you have DDR4 that isn’t physically damaged it’ll work and won’t kill your processor or board.

Personally I like Crucial and Corsair but it all comes out of the same lovely factories in Shenzhen, it just has slightly better warranties than like GSkill or Patriot.

:shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 21:57 on May 8, 2020

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Far be it from me to recommend the Grey Boards but the system builder thread in SHSC is really p.deece.

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Also (in addition to memory speed having a v.limited or at least rapidly diminishing impact on user perceptions of speed)remember that latency matters.

4000 MHz RAM with a 22 Latency is slower than 3000/15 (11 nanosecond time to first word vs. 10).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Schadenboner posted:

Also (in addition to memory speed having a v.limited or at least rapidly diminishing impact on user perceptions of speed)remember that latency matters.

4000 MHz RAM with a 22 Latency is slower than 3000/15 (11 nanosecond time to first word vs. 10).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAS_latency

should I actually sell this memory on ebay or something and actually seek out 2666mhz ram?

i don't care about the small waste of money i made in my purchase. i just don't want my CPU being fried to death over the course of 8 months again

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

stupid question here

i had to on my asus GAMER motherboard.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I got 32gb of ddr3 from AliExpress and I had to run it one step down from its rated speed for it to post

lmao $120 tho

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
you all are gonna think im loving with youse at this point or something

got the new cpu and motherboard today. immediately booted into windows which i could not do before. it has been running fine all day. clearly the cpu was the issue

however...four of my goddamn hard drives are fried. out of eight.

theyre all these 8tb drives that i shucked out of USB enclosures because they are cheaper that way. western digital white labels. they have worked perfectly fine for over a year until today.

the four of them that fried were next to each other in the case. the four top drives. the bottom four drives survived.

the only thing i can think of is that my old lovely psu fried them OR the brand new psu did which actually makes more sense to me because they were working when all this poo poo went down.

could me using those SATA y adapters have done it? here is the one i used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IBA3XCW

also the psu has two sata "lines" (sorry if this is the wrong word) and two molex "lines"

do one of the sata lines operate at different voltages than the other sata line does or something? i don't recall ever having to worry about that before.

btw the drives simply don't power up. there are no clicks of death or anything. i tried a different psu and an externally powered enclosure and all four have the same issue. they simply don't receive power any more. like the pcb board is fried or something. is it even remotely feasible for me to get these drives to power up ever again or am i looking at $1,000+ per drive data recovery? :(

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
no offence but please don't come near my computer

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
lol yeah i know

i'm praying to loving god that i can buy PCB replacements for these drives to get them functional again. i know seagate uses some bios lock thing so you can't PCB swap but i cant tell if western digital does it too.

i wish i knew what caused this. this is loving ridiculous

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

it seems like you should have bought a synology

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
id be taking a hard look at that UPS

pram
Jun 10, 2001
have you tried installing linux op

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
perhaps consider a life in the forest, alienated from technology

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Ur Getting Fatter posted:

perhaps consider a life in the forest, alienated from technology

im about to

Helianthus Annuus posted:

id be taking a hard look at that UPS

how can i tell if it's that?

edit: it's this exact one: https://www.amazon.com/APC-Smart-UPS-SUA1500RM2U-Discontinued-Manufacturer/dp/B000086A26

(i got it from a neighbor)

Chumbawumba4ever97 fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 10, 2020

Cold on a Cob
Feb 6, 2006

i've seen so much, i'm going blind
and i'm brain dead virtually

College Slice

Captain Foo posted:

it seems like you should have bought a synology

lol rekt

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

you all are gonna think im loving with youse at this point or something

got the new cpu and motherboard today. immediately booted into windows which i could not do before. it has been running fine all day. clearly the cpu was the issue

yeah that's common, a fucky 5v rail is going to kill everything on it and things with moving parts, like dc motors, are first up against the wall

quote:

the four of them that fried were next to each other in the case. the four top drives. the bottom four drives survived.

the only thing i can think of is that my old lovely psu fried them OR the brand new psu did which actually makes more sense to me because they were working when all this poo poo went down.

could me using those SATA y adapters have done it? here is the one i used: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IBA3XCW

sure, especially if it wasn't pushed in the whole way, or if something was loose. more parts, more points of failure

four drives physically close together failing together might suggest heat but a power problem sounds much more likely, given the backstory

quote:

do one of the sata lines operate at different voltages than the other sata line does or something? i don't recall ever having to worry about that before.

it shouldn't

quote:

btw the drives simply don't power up. there are no clicks of death or anything. i tried a different psu and an externally powered enclosure and all four have the same issue. they simply don't receive power any more. like the pcb board is fried or something. is it even remotely feasible for me to get these drives to power up ever again or am i looking at $1,000+ per drive data recovery? :(

you've got four others just like them so in theory a board swap could work, or it could confuse the hell out of the poor thing. the only times i've seen board swaps done was with some pc3000 wizardry alongside, but it's been a long time since i've played with either tool so :shrug:

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

flakeloaf posted:

yeah that's common, a fucky 5v rail is going to kill everything on it and things with moving parts, like dc motors, are first up against the wall

sure, especially if it wasn't pushed in the whole way, or if something was loose. more parts, more points of failure

four drives physically close together failing together might suggest heat but a power problem sounds much more likely, given the backstory

it shouldn't

you've got four others just like them so in theory a board swap could work, or it could confuse the hell out of the poor thing. the only times i've seen board swaps done was with some pc3000 wizardry alongside, but it's been a long time since i've played with either tool so :shrug:

thanks for the reply. curse Antec and their lovely power supplies (or the electricity coming into my house or something, though nothing else has ever died in this house from being plugged in)

i was going to begin a backup process literally tomorrow! once i had the PC back up and running and the new PSU in i was heading to microcenter to buy a bunch of hard drives so i had a 1:1 backup of everything because i was leery about what went on with my PSU.

ive gotten rid of the old PSU in case that was the cause, i ordered a new APC backup UPS in case that was the cause, everything related to power has been changed. possibly the power issues from my PSU or even UPS fried my CPU, several motherboards, and now 5 hard drives

i am gonna level with you all; after plugging all the hard drives back in, one of the drives that refuses to power up has the most important stuff on it: home movies that had lots of footage of my sister who is unfortunately no longer with us (i am not sure which exact drive it was on, but am sure it's one that is now not powering up)

a little while back my dad gave me all our old VHS home movies and i transferred them to this PC. i dont live near my parents (several hundred miles away) so i never got around to giving him the VHS tapes back. because my luck is poo poo, we eventually had a flood in the basement due to a faulty Honeywell part on our hot water tank; it expelled water all over the entire basement over the course of several hours and it ruined quite a few things; including those VHS tapes because im an irresponsible gently caress and left them on a bottom shelf that practically touches the floor

it wasnt a big deal at the time though because i had them on this PC. i also had them in my Plex movies folder, and i asked my brother (whom i gave access to my plex account) to download the home movies from plex (plex lets you download the files; they call it syncing or something) so that i had "offsite backups" of it.

of course i called my brother today and he tells me he never did it. so, these home movies are completely gone.

if by small chance a goon here knows how to fix these PCBs or how swap them or whatever, i'd be willing to pay several hundred dollars for your help. all of this stupid CPU and motherboard and PSU and UPS replacements were already stretching my budget and i dont have $8,000 (2k per drive) to send them all to a clean lab or whatever. i am also a bit uneasy sending my drives to places like that because i know for a fact one of these drives has all of our past financial documents on it like 12+ years of tax returns and stuff. also it shouldn't require sending the entire drive in because im 99% sure it's just the PCB that fried anyway.

i do have another drive that is making GBS threads itself, i am assuming related to this. luckily this 5th drive powers up, but as soon as it gets connected to windows (via USB or SATA) it causes a blue screen. i tried it on my laptop too and it's the same thing, so it's not the new motherboard or anything. i tried running a linux live CD to see if linux could read it but it spits out an error about the first file on the drive and actually crashes linux (ubuntu) as well.

i got a crash dump from windows from when this 5th hosed up drive is plugged in. maybe it can explain what is wrong with this one drive and how i can fix it? here it is: https://ufile.io/531t7yqk

i figured that's worth a shot since there's a 20% chance the videos of her are on that drive

thanks for reading :shobon:
sorry for this long, wordy post. i got two hours of sleep last night because of how upset i am over all of this.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
chances are the data is still intact, but getting it off of those drives may be a challenge

i hope someone can help you out. i wish i could. it would be my first real data recovery job, and it's pretty high stakes, so i'm too scared to try

just keep those drives safe until you can figure something out

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
thank you kindly . and i absolutely will

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
what i would probably do, in your situation, is the following:
  • Buy some new drives to back up everything to. I think the 10TB WD externals are a pretty good value.
  • Back up two of your *working* drives to new drives, so that anything that happens to them will not destroy the only copy of data.
  • Swap the PCBs between the two working drives. Do they still work after?
  • If yes, we know the PCBs are alike enough, and not keyed to individual drives. Try swapping one of the good-drive boards to a bad drive.
  • If no, we know that they are paired with the drive somehow, or the "identical" drives aren't. If you're feeling adventurous, you could poke around with a voltmeter and compare a bad board to a good one, but be careful. The only time I've attempted to repair a drive PCB I had success, but it was because there was a physically damaged component that was obvious to see, which I replaced from a junk drive. Probably no similarly easy win here.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
this has sure been a ride

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

absolutely the best advertisement for offsite backup ever

a terabyte of onedrive costs like 6 dollars a month

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Sagebrush posted:

backblaze has been a reassuring one too

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

chumba whumba

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

wtf is going on itt

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

a computer is spite frying a persons hdds

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

theyre all these 8tb drives that i shucked out of USB enclosures because they are cheaper that way. western digital white labels. they have worked perfectly fine for over a year until today.

Sagebrush posted:

yeah uh chumba has eight 8TB drives, this goes beyond something like onedrive lol, probably safe to assume it's all linux isos, hope he didn't lose anything important (which should be kept in something like onedrive)

but jesus loving christ don't stuff your good gamin' rig with HDDs like it's loving 2005 OK? do what foo said and get a synology.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

SO DEMANDING posted:

yeah uh chumba has eight 8TB drives, this goes beyond something like onedrive lol, probably safe to assume it's all linux isos, hope he didn't lose anything important (which should be kept in something like onedrive)

but jesus loving christ don't stuff your good gamin' rig with HDDs like it's loving 2005 OK? do what foo said and get a synology.

but, like, raid is not backup. this is a great example of how it's not. if this was all in a fileserver, and he lost 4 drives due to a failing psu or a surge or any other reason, the array is still gone.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

anyone who has 64TB of local storage and no backup plan is definitely just hoarding linux isos, so at least nothing of value was lost.

i mean except for the home movies. that sucks. put those on an actual backup plan. but god drat like seriously who needs 64 terabytes in tyool2020

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
bad rear end mother fuckers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
that’s who