Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

YES, CLIFFORD THE BIG RED DOG IS ABSOLUTELY A KAIJU

Taear posted:

Storyline wise it's weird that it gives you the idea Penda was destroyed ages and ages ago but Richard/Loki were there. So much for it being Ancient.
I actually ran into a load screen tooltip today that said it was ~10 years ago.

I think it's mostly the aesthetic that makes it seem ancient, otherwise it would be weird even in the original that the endgame vendor cats were telling you it's a great place to buy better weapons and that a mana stone scholar lives there.

timp posted:

I think in the 96 fan translation they called her the “Queen of Reason” which I really like, because then when she up and attacks Valsena (Forsena) out of nowhere everyone’s like, um, I thought she was the Queen of Reason? Wtf is this?
Yeah, that sounds right, I was probably misremembering since its been a while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

yook posted:

I actually ran into a load screen tooltip today that said it was ~10 years ago.

I think it's mostly the aesthetic that makes it seem ancient, otherwise it would be weird even in the original that the endgame vendor cats were telling you it's a great place to buy better weapons and that a mana stone scholar lives there.
Yeah, that sounds right, I was probably misremembering since its been a while.

The game does call it "ancient capital" though
Of where?

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012
Maybe it is an ancient city long dead and the king and Duran's dad also got there via magic timetravel bullshit?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

yook posted:

Kevin's storyline is just a cliff notes John Wick.

So at the end of John wick 4 the main mob guy will show up and be like Your dog wasn't even dead you idiot, I I dug him out of that lovely grave you made, he was just knocked out. you loving clod

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

timp posted:

I think in the 96 fan translation they called her the “Queen of Reason” which I really like, because then when she up and attacks Valsena (Forsena) out of nowhere everyone’s like, um, I thought she was the Queen of Reason? Wtf is this?

理の女王 where 理 is read kotowari. Queen of Reason definitely fits better than "True Queen" which would be 正女王 or something.

jisho.org posted:

ことわり
Noun
1. reason; logic; sense; natural way of things​

(my Japanese is self-taught and terrible but idk that's my read of this whole thing)

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 02:51 on May 11, 2020

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Taear posted:

The game does call it "ancient capital" though
Of where?

Of Pedda. That whole island/continent was their kingdom.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
I'm pretty sure it was in fact meant to be incredibly old until Heroes of Mana decided it was in fact ten years old.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Arkeus posted:

Starlancer's big thing is the perma buffs, but after a while you actually want to finish a fight quickly enough that you don't need to recast them. So I guess Vanadis could work out? unsure.

Maybe? I picked the game up the other day and blew through it with L/L Kevin, D/D Angela and L/L Riesz, the last of which being on accident as I mixed up the names.

While I agree that the fights rarely last long enough for the buffs to be worth casting, the Vandis’s Freya summon has this unfortunate quality of transforming enemies into little level one pipsqueaks. While funny and effective at removing the enemy, it also means you get the pitiful XP and Loot rewards of said level one pipsqueak. So that sucks if you wanna farm. I suppose you could avoid it, but it’s billed as the Big Thing for the class so that seems wrong.

Edit: I’m just about done this play through, thinking of doing D/L or DD Duran, D/? Charlotte and L/L Angela. I was thinking of doing Ninja Hawkeye instead of Angela, but he went full creeper on Riesz during the Laurent chapter and that’s been a hard perception to shake. But that’s fine; Angela has been a lot of fun.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 03:09 on May 11, 2020

yook
Mar 11, 2001

John Wick of Dogs posted:

So at the end of John wick 4 the main mob guy will show up and be like Your dog wasn't even dead you idiot, I I dug him out of that lovely grave you made, he was just knocked out. you loving clod
My headcannon is still that he knew Kevin was an idiot and just bought a new one.

Edit: and that this wouldn't have been the first time he did it.

yook fucked around with this message at 03:19 on May 11, 2020

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

The one thing I find Riesz really good at is destroying those things that always come up in boss fights where if you destroy them it stuns the boss but if you don't they get a super attack. Her L/L light light light light heavy combo melts through anything because that last heavy attack hits 4 times

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW

yook posted:

My headcannon is still that he knew Kevin was an idiot and just bought a new one.

Edit: and that this wouldn't have been the first time he did it.

My problems with 'no actually the dog is fine' are the following 1) I was on New Game Plus, not only is Karl dead I'm pretty sure I liquified him 2) Goremand would 100% have Karl killed for real because he's a fucker that way. He'd eat that soul cackling all the while.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
Dark Reisz has a big AoE airstrike that's noticeably more powerful than everybody else's CS and also a bunch of abilities that make her regenerate CS gauge. So she's got that going for her.

Currently in ??? seed hell on the latest playthrough and I have nobody specced for Luck right now. Level 42 and counting.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Not a Children posted:

AFAIK they literally never mention it directly again. It's a carryover from the original script
Another carryover from the original that bugs me is that weird statue in front of a lake in the Molebear Moors. I keep going back to see if there's something with the Minor Mallet there, but nope! ? all the way down.

True Queen is kind of weird but it makes sense in terms of naming conventions, since it has the same cadence as Hero King. (Them being the only King and Queen in the world is another meta-hint to Angela's origin.)

Taear posted:

Angela and Kevin just don't seem to have loads of motivation. The final enemy in Angela's bit ties closest to Duran (and even Crimson Wizard has a shitload of Duran stuff too) and the final enemy in Kevin's bit is really for Charlotte. I'm not saying they haven't got any motivation at all, it just feels like Angela/Kevin get a lot less out of the end. They feel like second characters even though they were both my main characters.
Aside from the whole 'save the world' bit that everyone gets, Angela has 'you kidnapped my mom' as motivation. Kevin's definitely the weakest one ('beat up the evil guy that was really mean's even evil-er boss') IMO Angela's way stronger in your party in any capacity than when she's out of it.

Taear posted:

Translation wise I think going with Dark/light wasn't the best idea either since it kinda implies evil/good in English. Not a huge deal, but still.
It's a trope that 'light = good' and 'darkness = bad' and there's a ton of subversion of it out there as well. A lot of it Japanese because of the emphasis on dualism (IE yin and yang stuff.)
Also because the above trope comes from the influence that Catholicism and Christianity had on the western world, while Japan has a pretty turbulent history with that. Hence why there's a common-ish jrpg trope of the Church (which is Light-focused) turning out to be evil.

Power is Power and the light(supportive)/dark(personal) bit holds up well enough.

YggiDee posted:

(spoiler regarding Kevin's story on NG+)
Even on NG + you gotta Class Strike your tutorial mob. They are perfectly capable of surviving even the hell that is a lvl99's onslaught until you follow the prompts :colbert:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Sapozhnik posted:

Dark Reisz has a big AoE airstrike that's noticeably more powerful than everybody else's CS and also a bunch of abilities that make her regenerate CS gauge. So she's got that going for her.

Currently in ??? seed hell on the latest playthrough and I have nobody specced for Luck right now. Level 42 and counting.

I'm level 45 and have no idea the best place to farm these. I've only gotten two from chests.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I forget what level I was when I did this but I just did circuits on the top floor the Moonview Tower for ??? seeds. No loading screens as you loop through 4 rooms. A gold save statue is right there too. There's also one in a chest within every dungeon but Gusthall (because you were in there already).

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

EponymousMrYar posted:

Another carryover from the original that bugs me is that weird statue in front of a lake in the Molebear Moors. I keep going back to see if there's something with the Minor Mallet there, but nope! ? all the way down.

Are you ready to have your mind blown? Here goes. If you buy the Nitromyte from Watts, and escape the Dwarf Tunnel without grabbing Gnome, you can continue with the plot as normal. When you get to Valsena, the King will tell you to go get Gnome. There's no way to get back to the tunnel from that area though, and the cannon isn't ready, though... except that there's a secret passage that unlocks when you examine that statue in only this very specific circumstance! A super duper specific failsafe that I'm always impressed exists.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Alxprit posted:

Are you ready to have your mind blown? Here goes. If you buy the Nitromyte from Watts, and escape the Dwarf Tunnel without grabbing Gnome, you can continue with the plot as normal. When you get to Valsena, the King will tell you to go get Gnome. There's no way to get back to the tunnel from that area though, and the cannon isn't ready, though... except that there's a secret passage that unlocks when you examine that statue in only this very specific circumstance! A super duper specific failsafe that I'm always impressed exists.

Ahhh, I thought it was Minor Mallet/Later. No wonder I never figured out what it was for!

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

And that's Anise and the Black Rabite down without getting hit.

So after you do a game of three characters, are there any more unique bosses aside from the final bosses of the other two routes, and then the other three characters' trials for the 4th class change item?

It'll be nice just running through replays and not giving a single gently caress about taking damage, now.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

SettingSun posted:

I forget what level I was when I did this but I just did circuits on the top floor the Moonview Tower for ??? seeds. No loading screens as you loop through 4 rooms. A gold save statue is right there too. There's also one in a chest within every dungeon but Gusthall (because you were in there already).

The strat I'm currently going with is to start from the Dolan statue, jump down quickly to the down stairs, engage the three silver wolves and oneshot them with an L2 class strike, reload.

I got two seed drops in 30-40 attempts before I decided I was done for the night. Together with three seeds I picked up from dungeons that makes five, and of course three of them are duds so I need the sixth.

This is really loving stupid. Trying to force me to use a class I don't want to use isn't going to make me like said class, especially when there is an obvious Good and lovely class for most of the branches.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Found this. Wonder if there's more official art of the remake around

Phantasium posted:

And that's Anise and the Black Rabite down without getting hit.

So after you do a game of three characters, are there any more unique bosses aside from the final bosses of the other two routes, and then the other three characters' trials for the 4th class change item?

It'll be nice just running through replays and not giving a single gently caress about taking damage, now.

Each route has 3 unique bosses: the main antagonist, the dragon, and the man behind the man. Then you have the 4th class change boss. Though if you've done Angela/Duran's part you've faced the hardest bosses of the 3 paths IMO

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 06:17 on May 11, 2020

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The queen bee enemies in woods of wandara drop ??? seeds at a pretty good rate. There’s even an encounter where there’s like 4-5 of them at once. I got them with not much grinding, and none of my characters were specced for luck. The only hard part seems to be getting them to respawn.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

John Wick of Dogs posted:

There are 4 items in the game, chocolate, ??? seeds, cup of wishes, and Flammie drum. No other items exist

I've done 2 playthroughs and I concur, these are all that I used.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Truly there is no reason to have a -saber casting person because of the night market. Just buy all the -saber items, it’s not like Lucre is difficult to come by. And saber abilities are nice but not exactly crucial. Only thing you really need are cups of wishes, though. If you refuse to bring a healer for some reason you might need chocolates but if you have everyone in selfish damage roles, cups of wishes are sufficient to get them back in the fight and you should kill every boss way before you go through 9 cups.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
I am almost at the end of my Hawkeye/Riesz playthrough.

Out of all the paths, I'd say that Duran/Angela's is the most compeling one, since the main antagonist has had a presence in the world before the events of the game and didn't just pop out of nowhere for the sake of plot. And at the same time, Duran probably has the weakest motivation out of all characters.

Kevin wants to get revive his dead dog and get revenge on his dick father.
Angela is on the run from her mother after she tried to sacrifice her and wants to prove herself worthy.
Charlotte wants to find her friend.
Hawkeye wants to avenge his friend and save the girl.
Riesz wants to take her home back and find her lost brother.

Duran is just super :argh: at the Crimson Wizard for making him look weak in front of the King, and thus decides to leave his country in order to protect his country (????)

His story picks up a bit after a while fortunately, but boy was I happy I picked Angela as my main for that path.

yook
Mar 11, 2001

Duran could have benefitted from playing up the father angle earlier on. It slots right into the loyalty to the king, desire to be the strongest and wanting to protect his remaining family. As is, he’s pretty one-dimensional, though they did try to give him a little more with getting emotional when the dark shine knight says his father died in vain when the dragon lord survived and also with his 3rd class challenge.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

jokes posted:

Truly there is no reason to have a -saber casting person because of the night market. Just buy all the -saber items, it’s not like Lucre is difficult to come by. And saber abilities are nice but not exactly crucial. Only thing you really need are cups of wishes, though. If you refuse to bring a healer for some reason you might need chocolates but if you have everyone in selfish damage roles, cups of wishes are sufficient to get them back in the fight and you should kill every boss way before you go through 9 cups.

Not bringing a healer seems to be pretty optimal for most parties, honestly. Someone to do damage, or boost your damage further seems to actually prevent more incoming damage overall because damage dealing passives and skills stack so aggressively.

Attack Saber II is really strong and makes a saber casting character worth it even if you are using the night market items (which I think are super cheesy and religiously avoid).

On Reisz: I’ve only played Vanadys, which is a little on the weak side, especially if you’re playing with night market items. But she comes with her own magic debuff if you have a reliable source of crits and buffs + debuffs together do make a huge difference in damage output. Compared to Star Lancer, she’s strictly worse at support, but not by as much as it seems on paper. Between Oracle and Extra Potent she only needs to keep buffs up on one character, and a strong team ends fights quickly enough that you probably only need to renew once, if that. In return she gets more defense (meh) and a better CS3 (also pretty meh, since her damage is sub-par to begin with). I think Vanadys should get Provoke and some stronger HP regen passives to solidify her role as a support tank. Freya also needs an overhaul, since it’s actively harmful most of the time if you let the AI use it.

On Nomad: It’s not an overpowered class by any stretch, but it’s not too terrible. It’s probably 3rd best melee damage dealer after Duran and Kevin’s dark classes, but gets a pretty strong AoE spell and some cool (if not extremely strong) support in return. I think it’s reasonably balanced compared to Kevin’s dark classes, but Edelfrei blows it out of the water. Edelfrei’s sabers are far better support tools on a melee focused team and Edelfrei himself does way more damage.

Heithinn Grasida fucked around with this message at 09:02 on May 11, 2020

Mr. Locke
Jul 28, 2010

Taear posted:

I just don't get this. Melee is superior to casting other than against trash mobs and even then only a few spells. What use is AoE against nearly any boss? A few have extra bits to target but not many. Reisz does good damage and the debuffs go on every enemy, cast effectively instantly, cost barely any mana (so you don't need to worry about running out) and work on bosses too.
And her damage is good. She outdamaged my Duran by loads although I'll admit he was a Liege. And her damage isn't TOO different from Kevin.

Meanwhile Hawkeye is just there - no interesting buffs, no interesting spells.

Casting was amazing in the original because when you cast it froze the enemy in place but in this it's just not close to as good.

Yes your class makeup and which side (light/dark) you pick can make a difference in which bosses you find the hardest but I definitely feel I killed them a thousand times faster with Kevin than I ever did with Angela. Doesn't help that you have to stand still to cast and can easily be interrupted either!

The problem is damage multipliers from skills. AoE Targeting and skill-based CS generation for the non-Angela casters too, but the big one is just Multipliers. Damage multipliers are just way easier for the caster characters to come across and it does a lot to push their damage past what melee smacking is doing. Angela's the most obvious example, getting several large base damage modifiers as well as the ability to hit every elemental weakness except Wood, but Hawkeye and to a lesser degree Charlotte get more, bigger ways to enhance their casting damage then melee characters (barring specifically Edelfrei Duran, who gets a fairly potent one at a tradeoff) get to enhance their own damage. You're also heavily overselling how long most spells take to cast- Angela/Hawkeye can fire off 3 Spells/Traps/Ninjitsu that aren't Ancient Curse or Dark Rain in the same time Kevin takes to do his full Light Light Light Light Heavy combo.

Where melee damage makes up some of the difference is from soaking buffs. Sabers, buffs, debuffs can all help close the gap... but if the time spent setting those up were just spend casting damage spells instead from Angela, Hawkeye, or Dark Charlotte, then normal enemies might already be dead, while even with those buffs the melee punchers can't keep up on bosses that have multiple parts.

Also, the answer to what bosses have multiple parts- MOST of them.

Full Metal Hugger has two eyes, it's legs, and his main body.
Machine Golems I are multiple bosses
Jewel Eater has his body and his claws.
Harcypete is a single-part boss
Zehnoa is also a single-part boss, and most notably, is a boss you are ONLY going to hit on element physically through Poseidon Claws, which is important to weaken this boss specifically.
Bil and Ben are multiple bosses.
Gova is a single target
Machine Golems II are multiple bosses.
Bil and Ben round 2 are multiple bosses
Beast Ludgar is a single target
Grapplavine has body, two legs, a neck, and it's head.
Fiegmund is body and head
Mispolm's body is made of multiple parts and summons adds
Land Umber is body and two hands, although the gimmick means when the hands are up, the body is not available.
Dolan is head, two hands, and body.
Dangaard is two heads
Lightgazer is body and eye
Xan Bie is a single target but frequently summons shrines- not a lot of AoE potental here.
Zabel Fahr is three heads.
Darkshine Knight, Crimson Mage, Tainted Soul, Belladonna are all solo target boss fights.
Goremond and Malocchio are one target but summons adds throughout the fight.
Dark Lich is multiple torso body parts (at least 2)
Archdemon is a body and two hands
Mondoragon is a LOT of parts. At minimum, body, tail, all claws, and head.
Black Rabbite is.. .well a Rabbite.
Anise is one part with a bunch of crystal adds.
Dragon Anise is also a LOT of parts. Minimum head, tail, multiple body parts.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

How could you forget Jewel Eater’s weak spot, it’s tail? Which is only exposed when you do enough damage to get it to come out from the wall. That’s the boss’s whole gimmick.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

How could you forget Jewel Eater’s weak spot, it’s tail? Which is only exposed when you do enough damage to get it to come out from the wall. That’s the boss’s whole gimmick.

But why do that when you can AoE the claws and face simultaneously

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

SpazmasterX posted:

But why do that when you can AoE the claws and face simultaneously

You still do more damage to the tail. It has really low defense.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Finished the first playthrough, killed the original bonus boss and murdered the remake bonus boss in under 1 minute 20 (30 seconds were waiting out her invulnerability phases).

All that's left is making the final story boss explode (again) and going into NG+, right?

Cliff
Nov 12, 2008

You don't have to kill the main story boss again, you can start NG+ right away.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
Wow. I just got to the postgame content and they just stopped caring about how they incorporate the gameplay mechanics into the narrative, didn’t they? ”You need to reach Class 4! It’s the only way!” It’s just so straightforward about it, it’s funny and jarring all the same time.

I guess it still fits, Duran’s story story starts with him wanting to learn about “Class Changing” after all, but now I can’t stop thinking about it all like Super Saiyan stuff. Ferolia Kingdom might as well be Planet Vegeta now.

i am tim! fucked around with this message at 15:20 on May 11, 2020

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
You travel around by being shot out of cannons for a good chunk of the game so it's not as if the world is above having some silly elements in it

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Let's not forget how the Beastmen air force was depicted back on the Snes in glorious Mode 7.
You had the Crimson Wizard with actual airships.
You had Isabella & co. with ships kept afloat by clown balloons.
And then the Beastmen were each carried by an harpy.

The game is absolutely not above silly, and I do miss the little sprite animations like the landings at the end of a trip on the Cannon Airlines.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

All of that is still in this version and it’s just as goofy.

Also Kevin swimming across the world to get to Jadd. That poo poo is weird as hell.

Folt The Bolt
Feb 21, 2012

Nothing exciting to see here. Move along.

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

If Jewel eater has the tail out, you could use an AoE from a caster to hit the tail and other parts at the same time too though.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Whenever I hear the characters saying that they must reach class 4 all I can think of is Goku searching for a level beyond Super Saiyan and it makes it so much better.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

SettingSun posted:

Whenever I hear the characters saying that they must reach class 4 all I can think of is Goku searching for a level beyond Super Saiyan and it makes it so much better.

Does that mean everyone is going to scream really loudly while looking like they're taking a poo poo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IMJack
Apr 16, 2003

Royalty is a continuous ripping and tearing motion.

Fun Shoe
Duran's entire motive for starting his adventure his his quest for "Kurassu Chanju!" For him it's some life-changing thing with a cool name. It's like a Tumblr kid glomming on to some term of art and running it into the ground. It's great in how silly it is.