Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

The Before Times posted:

Yeah it should be part of the court service, like stenography used to be back in the day. Transcription has become ridiculously casualised these days and they can get it so cheap from freelancers through online platforms. But for court/legal transcription, in-house is always better because you can ensure staff are trained and supported (likely they'll hear some pretty horrific poo poo in some cases) to deliver the work to the standards you'd expect from legal transcription.
Yeah, we have new management who I don't think have considered the latter stuff at all as they're driving to push full-timers out the door to replace with at-home contractors. But I wasn't kidding about how pissed off the courts are. I hear lawyers and judges complaining about us all the time. If only they knew we'd fired some 60+ people with nothing to cover that loss of productivity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
From Wednesday Victorians can have up to 5 guests in their house.
Gatherings of 10 at a time outside.
Footy good to go

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy
For all intents and purposes, people are just going to treat this as if all restrictions have been lifted.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Illuminti posted:

For all intents and purposes, people are just going to treat this as if all restrictions have been lifted.

Are they?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.
Not if VicPol are going to continue to aggressively enforce the rules (yay police state)

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Vicpol earned one point from me yesterday when they beaned those American sympathisers

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

JBP posted:

Are they?

The shops in Perth were smashed full of people despite just about all free standing retail and cafes in shopping centres being closed, with only a handful of takeaway places, some department stores and supermarkets being open. People just literally loitering in the centre with nothing to do.

Absolutely people will take a little loosening of restrictions as complete removal.

Sappy Fingers
Jun 16, 2006

vlc owns sorry wrongs

JBP posted:

Are they?
Had to visit Westfield Garden City (Brisbane) last week as my partner has pneumonia* and the doctor's office was right inside the shopping centre. The place was packed and nearly everybody was showing complete obliviousness to distancing. The mere suggestion of 'reopening' the economy is being interpreted as 'all is well!' by the general public. If there is another lockdown-causing wave of new cases in the next few weeks I will lose my poo poo.

*her COVID19 test came back negative. We have both been living in isolation since around 20 March, and she has the occasional bout of pneumonia, so we weren't too worried.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Anidav posted:

PM Scott Morrison is considering slashing the $1500 JobKeeper payment or phasing it out faster than expected amid fears it’s creating “zombie” companies.

Hahahahahahahahahahaha.

If they're already looking at this type of thing we are absolutely hosed in recovering from this.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Also, vale Jack Mundey, absolute Australian legend.
https://www.smh.com.au/national/union-leader-jack-mundey-dies-aged-90-20200511-p54rpf.html

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS

JBP posted:

Are they?

Yeah my partner went out to buy food yesterday, the streets were crowded, the markets were packed with people. This is in inner-Melbourne, not even somewhere like Perth or Adelaide.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow1PdcfeL2E

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Yeast posted:

Yep, each week she has a nasal swab test, and each week she’s been positive. 5 weeks running. So she can’t be working at the hospital.

There’s other nurses that also have it, and are also asymptomatic, and some have recovered and returned to work.

What I mean is that just because someone has a positive test result doesn’t necessarily mean they’re still infected or contagious, especially after 5 weeks what they’re detecting is likely just fragments of viral RNA that aren’t actually doing anything.

(again, not disputing her remaining in quarantine)

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

I wish they'd let us drive without "purpose" again. I'm running around the lake every other day but I would feel so much better if I could go for a motorbike ride up to the Dandenongs or something.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Jonah Galtberg posted:

What I mean is that just because someone has a positive test result doesn’t necessarily mean they’re still infected or contagious, especially after 5 weeks what they’re detecting is likely just fragments of viral RNA that aren’t actually doing anything.

(again, not disputing her remaining in quarantine)

Is there a way to test if someone is contagious? Eg: check for active virus being exhaled/shed rather than RNA or whatever?

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

Recoome posted:

Not to be a contrarian here but I'd be interested to know how this is actually being assessed, seeing as the way that we determine whether some "has" coronavirus for the first time can be much less accurate in determining whether they are still actively contagious. I'm unsure if we even have very accurate tests at this stage to determine this.

You can but it’s hard. The tests they use detect virus RNA which might be from active viruses or might just be random bits of leftovers that aren’t infectious. I think they need to culture a sample and see if any viruses grow to confirm if people are contagious.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

GoldStandardConure posted:

Is there a way to test if someone is contagious? Eg: check for active virus being exhaled/shed rather than RNA or whatever?

The simplest method is probably to see if a sample will infect a cell culture, but that’s too time and labour intensive to really be done in a clinical capacity and you’d be taking a massive risk on potential false negatives

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

freebooter posted:

I wish they'd let us drive without "purpose" again. I'm running around the lake every other day but I would feel so much better if I could go for a motorbike ride up to the Dandenongs or something.

how many times have you been driving with purpose and been pulled over and asked where you are going and asked to provide proof?

because for me its exactly zero times.

iajanus
Aug 17, 2004

NUMBER 1 QUEENSLAND SUPPORTER
MAROONS 2023 STATE OF ORIGIN CHAMPIONS FOR LIFE

Laserface posted:

how many times have you been driving with purpose and been pulled over and asked where you are going and asked to provide proof?

Ditto, and I'm on the road for a total of 3 hours each working day.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Me never, and I’m out daily.

But I know of two colleagues who pulled up and questioned right at the beginning, both in semi rura areas (Macedon and Ballan). The cops just sussed them out and let them go, but took details.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

GoldStandardConure posted:

Not really!

It's a limitation of PCR.
The test is designed to replicate conserved segments of DNA or RNA that are specific to the pathogen in question. Coronavirus is an RNA virus so a detached segment floating around can still be amplified and produce a positive result.
From the one paper I read that compared positives in Italy - there hadn't been a significant difference in the viral loads between asymptomatic and symptomatic with COVID, let alone differentiating between contagious and non-contagious. This is a bit different to something like Ebola where a particularly high viral load was a significant factor if you would die from it or not.
That being said - there's other factors with COVID - nasopharyngeal swabs aren't especially easy to collect and the amount of virus picked up by the swab can vary a lot too.

Contamination can also be an issue for false positives but on the whole labs are quite effective in picking those up and mitigating that from occurring.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
I regularly peruse news.com as I know it's where a lot of people I work with get their feeds from and ah, the last couple of days have been very strange messaging.

There was an article on Sweden's Covid response (or lack thereof) and while it presented the facts it did so without explicitly calling it out as a bad one which was a bit weird

But then today there's this article which frames a woman and a lockdown protest being arrested as a negative thing: https://www.news.com.au/national/ns...98fb012653f7366

What the gently caress? News.com is right-wing sure but this is edging dangerously close to fox-news level "we don't beeeliiieve in the conspiracy theories...but what if, you know, they were true?"

I mean look at this quote

quote:

According to the “Exercising My Rights” Facebook page and website, the protests are aimed at ridding NSW of the COVID-19 lockdowns. They are currently being wound back.

Putrid Dog
Feb 13, 2012

"God, I wish I was dead!"

Jonah Galtberg posted:

The simplest method is probably to see if a sample will infect a cell culture, but that’s too time and labour intensive to really be done in a clinical capacity and you’d be taking a massive risk on potential false negatives

Viral cultures have been on the way out for years in your regular path labs and is typically done in research facilities who tend to have way less staff and no interest in doing this sort of routine service as it takes away their time from other things.
Not to mention viral culture can be SLOW. You could find out up to a week later if the sample produced a positive or not which negates getting it done in the first place because you'll still be quarantined anyway.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Laserface posted:

I am an obedient citizen :colbert:

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

JBP posted:

Are they?

They borderline already are.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

freebooter posted:

I am an obedient citizen :colbert:

Yeah same.

I'm just doing HIIT every day at 12 to gently caress myself and reduce any chance of wanting to engage in recreation outside of my living room.

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

abigserve posted:

I regularly peruse news.com as I know it's where a lot of people I work with get their feeds from and ah, the last couple of days have been very strange messaging.

There was an article on Sweden's Covid response (or lack thereof) and while it presented the facts it did so without explicitly calling it out as a bad one which was a bit weird

But then today there's this article which frames a woman and a lockdown protest being arrested as a negative thing: https://www.news.com.au/national/ns...98fb012653f7366

What the gently caress? News.com is right-wing sure but this is edging dangerously close to fox-news level "we don't beeeliiieve in the conspiracy theories...but what if, you know, they were true?"

I mean look at this quote
they are owned by the same people

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Murdoch provides free platform for political propaganda under guise of "opinion." More news at 11.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Reminder that internal and external QLD polling has the LNP flipping the QLD Gov't on the back of One Nation and Palmer preferences.

Same as Federal Election and that's just sad.

The Deputy opposition leader is a loving football player.

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

Anidav posted:

just sad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Anidav posted:

The Deputy opposition leader is a loving football player.

I didn't realise he had such impressive, real world credentials as a politician.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

JBP posted:

I didn't realise he had such impressive, real world credentials as a politician.

hahahah

Illuminti
Dec 3, 2005

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

JBP posted:

Are they?

As everyone has pointed out. Yes.

I went for a walk around Melbourne yesterday and if it hadn't been for a couple of security guards in South Melbourne market trying to stop people rubbing against each other you'd have had no idea there was any sort of restriction in place. People are already making lists of five names they can have over for parties tonight. By the weekend it will be a free for all except the pubs will be closed.

TheMostFrench
Jul 12, 2009

Stop for me, it's the claw!

Illuminti posted:

JBP posted:

Are they?

https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/coronavirus/coronavirus-crisis-social-distancing-except-the-day-before-mothers-day-ng-b881542961z

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

If this virus takes one rich ghouls scalp please be Murdoch.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Illuminti posted:

As everyone has pointed out. Yes.

I went for a walk around Melbourne yesterday and if it hadn't been for a couple of security guards in South Melbourne market trying to stop people rubbing against each other you'd have had no idea there was any sort of restriction in place. People are already making lists of five names they can have over for parties tonight. By the weekend it will be a free for all except the pubs will be closed.

I'm excited for a party on Saturday because I don't go for walks around public places or any poo poo. I train in the park next to my house with one friend and that's it. I didn't realise people were hitting markets and poo poo. I go to Woolies once a week before midday, get my poo poo and leave.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

I know I am late for the vacuum chat but I got a Xiaomi v9 off ebay a few months ago. It works a treat but I only have a 2 bedroom apartment but the battery lasts long enough to cover the entire place on full power.

spaceblancmange posted:

Pretty sure he has been in a strict self imposed quarantine.

The Peccadillo
Mar 4, 2013

We Have Important Work To Do
Oh word?

https://twitter.com/Qldaah/status/1259671044123586567

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

spaceblancmange posted:

https://mumbrella.com.au/acms-antony-catalano-poised-to-buy-news-corps-regional-papers-627681

Actually there is one man who wants to claim Rupert's scalp.

Unsure if Good or Evil tho.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spaceblancmange
Apr 19, 2018

#essereFerrari

Budzilla posted:

Pretty sure he has been in a strict self imposed quarantine.

I'm sure he is but one can dream. Hey maybe he'll die of something else like falling into his tank of mutated sea bass with laser beams.