Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
WCW was definitely pushing it when he first won the title, not just the Book End but they had him dressing like the Rock too and growing out his fade/sideburns.

It was weirdly half-assed because he wasn't imitating the Rock's catchphrases or mannerisms (that was saved for Juventud Guerrera) but it was blatant and weird and it's one of the few times where WWE spite booking kind of makes sense. It's still spite booking and stupid but making Invasion Era Booker T into a lovely bootleg Rock at least had continuity/logic, as opposed to Stalker DDP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Super No Vacancy posted:

hard to believe the wwe has always been bad but the data is persuasive

It's actually not all that hard to believe, honestly.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm thinking the WWE could hire Hogan, Austin and Rocky when they were young right now and manage to gently caress all three of them up.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Randaconda posted:

I'm thinking the WWE could hire Hogan, Austin and Rocky when they were young right now and manage to gently caress all three of them up.

They did gently caress each of them up, at first.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red posted:

They did gently caress each of them up, at first.

:hmmyes: but I meant beyond repair

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Has anybody ever not tapped out to the Figure 8 once it was applied? I think it may be one of the few (if not only) submissions in WWE with a 100% success rate.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

gotta make sure the stupidest possible submission move is the most protected in company history, brother

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Randaconda posted:

:hmmyes: but I meant beyond repair

If it helps, Austin's ride on top was like... 5 years.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Red posted:

If it helps, Austin's ride on top was like... 5 years.

yeah, but i assume he would have had at least another year or two as a top draw if Owendriver '97 hadn't happened.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Randaconda posted:

yeah, but i assume he would have had at least another year or two as a top draw if Owendriver '97 hadn't happened.

And if he didn’t spend over a year being suplexed (onto his neck) on a nightly basis by Kurt Angle and Chris Benoit.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
What place in wrestling does Austin have after 2001? His 2002 was miserable and his last match before retiring was against Big Show. How does a wrestler like Steve Austin fit into the brand split era as an actual wrestler?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

What place in wrestling does Austin have after 2001? His 2002 was miserable and his last match before retiring was against Big Show. How does a wrestler like Steve Austin fit into the brand split era as an actual wrestler?

Well, you gotta think he wouldn't be that bad if he hadn't had a hosed up neck. He was still fairly young for a wrestler when he retired, so I'm sure they could have found something.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
I assume he takes time off. Maybe a month in the summer. A couple months off between summerslam and royal rumble. Probably no more house shows or only doing the big msg type super shows and international tours.

Stealth Tiger
Nov 14, 2009

Maybe he gets on something like the Undertaker's current Mania only schedule? Austin doesn't need a title, he can just pick a fight with the sumbitch who needs the biggest rear end whoopin a month out from the big show and give the fans a fun brawl before the proper serious main event. Then again, maybe the Brocks and Cenas and Ortons of world don't get over in a world where the Attitude Era's biggest star hangs around a while.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
What was NWO Japan like? I know exactly nothing about anything in Japanese wrestling from that period so I have no idea how big a deal it was, if they had that same sort of "invader" thing going or were just another stable, or anything like that. I guess I could read a wiki page or something but I like answers in this thread better

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

STAC Goat posted:

WCW was definitely trying to rip off the Rock and put it on Booker but was all kind of clumsy, superficial stuff. From what I remember he still felt like the same character that had gotten over. When he went to WWE I think that changed. A lot of that was probably just WWE's style of everyone having catchphrases and doing the sing a long promos though vs WCW's.... looser style.
Now that you mention it, with the exception of Scott Hall's survey, I can't remember anybody in WCW getting a catchphrase sing-along over.

Did the audience just not care for them, or are there a bunch I'm forgetting?

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Konnan managed to get a ton of southern white dudes to chant "viva la raza", once again proving he was kind of a legend.

I think there was stuff.
nWo - "too sweet"
DDP - "self high five/its me, its me"
Raven - "what about me, what about Raven?"
Lance Storm - "if I can be serious for a minute"

But mostly I just don't think WCW promos were structured like that. Guys had catchphrases but I don't think they were the center of promos the way WWE stuff really became with the Rock and on. At some point Rock's whole thing became about stringing catchphrases together so the fans could chant along and buy t-shirts and the whole WWE promo structure went that way.

STAC Goat fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 11, 2020

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
Do fans yelling woooo when Flair does a chop count?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

who betta

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Dutchy posted:

What was NWO Japan like? I know exactly nothing about anything in Japanese wrestling from that period so I have no idea how big a deal it was, if they had that same sort of "invader" thing going or were just another stable, or anything like that. I guess I could read a wiki page or something but I like answers in this thread better

It was a dominant stable with a bunch of members. The initial storyline focused on whether or not Mutoh would turn and join nWo Japan (he'd been feuding with nWo Japan leader Chono.) He eventually joins as Great Muta and he and Chono kind of run roughshod on things until injuries take Chono out while he's IWGP champion. In the meantime New Japan starts having problems with WCW and Chono gets the idea that maybe they should rebrand, choosing a name based off I believe his wife's fashion label? I forget exactly. But they don't actually rebrand to that. It was kind of like when The Elite formed, I guess.

ANYWAY. Muta and the nWo turn face, Norton wins the IWGP title again in 99, Chono comes back and forms Team 2000 and they feud with nWo Japan. Team 2000 ended up winning and combining the stables which I think led to Muta's horrible 2000 WCW run.

I believe if Chono hadn't gotten injured the plan was for Muta to turn and have a Sting like role in taking out nWo Japan.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Red posted:

- Sean O'Haire ended up being packaged into a devil's advocate character that went nowhere, and he disappeared before he died a few years later.

I remember having really high hopes for that, but although the vignettes were really cool, I have no idea how you'd translate that to a wrestling character even if they did push him well after that. Telling people to indulge in bad things only goes so far if they don't do what you tell them. I guess he could slowly corrupt all of his enemies, but you'd have to invest in that angle for a long time to make that effective.

MathMathCalculation
Jan 1, 2006

sticklefifer posted:

I remember having really high hopes for that, but although the vignettes were really cool, I have no idea how you'd translate that to a wrestling character even if they did push him well after that. Telling people to indulge in bad things only goes so far if they don't do what you tell them. I guess he could slowly corrupt all of his enemies, but you'd have to invest in that angle for a long time to make that effective.

I'd imagine it would be as simple as him convincing other wrestlers to follow his bad advice and then those wrestlers coming back for revenge after it blew up in their faces.

His devil's advocate stuff could be done with backstage promos/segments or like how the Godfather gave them a choice before a match: give them the opportunity to do leave the ring so they could accomplish their goal or he gets pissed when they rebuke him and they fight.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

They tried getting 'Don't hate the playa, hate...the game' over with Booker T. We've just all forgotten it because it was 2000 WCW.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

MathMathCalculation posted:

I'd imagine it would be as simple as him convincing other wrestlers to follow his bad advice and then those wrestlers coming back for revenge after it blew up in their faces.

His devil's advocate stuff could be done with backstage promos/segments or like how the Godfather gave them a choice before a match: give them the opportunity to do leave the ring so they could accomplish their goal or he gets pissed when they rebuke him and they fight.

That did kind of happen, but it didn't play well on TV. He convinced Brian Kendrick to streak. And then he did. And that was it.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

sticklefifer posted:

I feel like having involved with creating this character behind the scenes would have made it work. It seems like the sort of thing he would have enjoyed writing for.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They tried with O'Haire, he just couldn't cut a promo in front of people.

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

It was a dominant stable with a bunch of members. The initial storyline focused on whether or not Mutoh would turn and join nWo Japan (he'd been feuding with nWo Japan leader Chono.) He eventually joins as Great Muta and he and Chono kind of run roughshod on things until injuries take Chono out while he's IWGP champion. In the meantime New Japan starts having problems with WCW and Chono gets the idea that maybe they should rebrand, choosing a name based off I believe his wife's fashion label? I forget exactly. But they don't actually rebrand to that. It was kind of like when The Elite formed, I guess.

ANYWAY. Muta and the nWo turn face, Norton wins the IWGP title again in 99, Chono comes back and forms Team 2000 and they feud with nWo Japan. Team 2000 ended up winning and combining the stables which I think led to Muta's horrible 2000 WCW run.

I believe if Chono hadn't gotten injured the plan was for Muta to turn and have a Sting like role in taking out nWo Japan.

thank you

related: how did Fake Sting work over there? from what i've heard he was actually kinda important (relatively speaking) which on the one hand makes sense because he's not a deliberate joke foil to Real Sting, but on the other hand what awareness did Japanese fans have of Real Sting in the first place? Like was it more that they booked the idea of "Dark Sting" more seriously or just that Sting barely existed anyway for purposes of NJPW so Fake Sting was just kinda his own thing?

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

Here's a question:

Apart from Owen Hart and Koko B Ware, I can't think of many inter-racial tag teams. Or even stables, (Owen again here is the exception that proves the rule.) Can anybody remember any prominent tag teams/stables that were inter-racial?

What got me thinking about this was WWE/Vince's racism and the way that he always seems to put his Black wrestlers in teams together eventually.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

You had Evan Bourne/Kofi in the pre New-Day days.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
I've got the Dudleys and the APA?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
og Midnight Express stable with Norvell Austin

Sputnik Monroe also teamed with Norvell Austin

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

BrigadierSensible posted:

Here's a question:

Apart from Owen Hart and Koko B Ware, I can't think of many inter-racial tag teams. Or even stables, (Owen again here is the exception that proves the rule.) Can anybody remember any prominent tag teams/stables that were inter-racial?

What got me thinking about this was WWE/Vince's racism and the way that he always seems to put his Black wrestlers in teams together eventually.

World's Greatest Tag Team and American Alpha are the ones that come to mind

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Here's a question:

Owen and Yokozuna. The Nation of Domination had Crush, PG 13 and Savio Vega along with Farooq before the gang warfare poo poo. Yung Dragons out of kayfabe was Kaz Hayashi, Jimmy Yang and Jamie Noble if we are going outside WWE. On a similar note there's Bad Company of Paul Diamond and Pat Tanaka were in WWE as the Orient Express with Diamond under a mask.

I suppose the biggest example though would be The Ministry as a stable with Viscera and Farooq alongside Taker, JBL and evil friends

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Here's a question:

SCU (Sky/Kaz) were AEW's first tag champs.

Interracial WWE tag teams who won a championship:

Current RAW belts:
Eddy and Tajiri
Haas and Benjamin
Rikishi and Scotty Too Hotty (I know Scotty and Sexay are better known, but Scotty held the belts with 'keesh)
Kenzo Suzuki and Renee Dupree
David Otunga and John Cena
David Otunga and Michael McGillicutty
Evan Bourne and Kofi Kingston
Roman Reigns and Seth Rollins
Jason Jordan and Seth Rollins

Current Smackdown belts:
Chad Gable & Jason Jordan

World tag team belts (unified with RAW belts):
King Curtis Iaukea and Mikel Scicluna
Dean Ho and Tony Garea
Billy White Wolf and Chief Jay Strongbow (Billy White Wolf was General Adnan)
The Iron Sheik and Nikolai Volkoff
André the Giant and Haku
Owen Hart and Yokozuna
Mankind and The Rock
Bubba Ray Dudley and D-Von Dudley
Bull Buchanan and The Goodfather
The Rock and The Undertaker
Bradshaw and Faarooq
Chris Jericho and The Rock
Booker T and Test
Rico and Rikishi
Booker T and Goldust
Booker T and Rob Van Dam
William Regal and Tajiri
The Hurricane and Rosey
CM Punk and Kofi Kingston

So, more than I thought when I started listing this.

Lamuella fucked around with this message at 10:39 on May 11, 2020

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Here's a question:

Rock and Sock Connection, William Regal and Tajiri, Tajiri and Eddie Guerrero, outside the WWE the Road Warriors in Japan. I'm assuming when you say "Stable" we arent including Wrestler + Manager as a stable? Because if we are there are more.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Sasha Banks and Bayley

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Strike Force( Tito Santana and Rick Martel) were another one

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!
I was talking with my brother yesterday, currently, is there any other finishing move as protected as the One Winged Angel? Or even close to it?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Are there any wrestlers who've made you wonder "How did this guy get on TV?"? Just people who, for one reason or another, had no understandable appeal, or may have just looked like they didn't belong.

For me, there are exactly two: Ron Garvin and Greg Valentine.

Valentine was, for one, just an odd looking guy. As far as I can tell, he was the Billy Gunn of his day - an above average worker with a blonde mullet who floated from gimmick to gimmick, landing in the occasional tag team, riding that one peak as long as he could. As best I can tell, his peak was being part of The Dream Team with Brutus Beefcake, who were tag team champions for a while. Once Beefcake moved on, he teamed up with Dino Bravo as The NEW Dream Team. Then he was just Greg "The Hammer", and did ... things? Then he was in a tag team with Honky Tonk Man called Rhythm and Blues, and he dyed his hair black. Then he just kind of petered out before going to WCW. For me, I'll always remember a friend of mine who had a story about him:

quote:

We saw Greg "The Hammer" Valentine at McDonald's once. He was in line to get breakfast at the next line over. My brother yelled, "Hey! That's Greg "The Hammer" Valentine!". Greg responded by putting on his sunglasses.

"Rugged" Ron Garvin was a short guy with a blond flat top (and shaved sideburns?), and I knew him best as a guy who yelled a lot and had one move: The Garvin Stomp. The idea was to stomp each extremity, which, even in pro wrestling, seemed dumb. Why not just kick someone in the head? In a company full of colorful characters, Garvin was the most generic person they had. I'm pretty sure one of the Nintendo games had a generic "You, the player!" character, and I just assumed it was Garvin, but they didn't want to pay him. Randy Orton, for some reason, borrowed the Stomp a few years into his career, which I couldn't believe. Of all the moves to lift, you picked the Garvin Stomp? Anyway, I was never quite sure who exactly let Garvin on TV.

So, naturally, these two feuded.

Red fucked around with this message at 15:59 on May 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Greg Valentine's peak was in the territories, where he was quite effective as a heel. He didn't much fit into the stupid cartoonish poo poo Vince was pushing at the time.