Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
we definitely already had MIRV systems as early as the 70s, though

the one room that seals you in is funny in co-op, the door doesn't appear for anyone who hasn't set it off, so if someone's trapped there and warning you not to come in but never actually saying why, they just look like they're sitting at the end of a clear hallway being weird.

~so of course I flew right in~

"WHY DID YOU COME IN"
"ohh a door closes."
"That's why I said don't come over!"
"hey it looked clear to me! there's no switch or anything?"
"I looked everywhere"

less than 20 seconds later I'm staring at the intact switch, "everywhere, huh?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I have an invasion to go to.
An actual shotgun/MIRV missile would be interesting. I know D3 had something in the same realm, but not quite proper.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Oh, now we're starting my favorite world.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

anilEhilated posted:

Oh, now we're starting my favorite world.

And yeah it has a theme: being bright as poo poo, and heavily energy-based.

Welcome to Light World :catdrugs:

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

Number One I order you to take a number two.

Please make sure the maiden voyage of the earthshaker missile on camera involves it being applied to the thief bot.

I NEED THIS :unsmigghh:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

More than anything I wonder why they decided to call that level "ascent". Nothing much feels like a particular reversal of the usual mechanics, except maybe the long reactor timer - but that other secret level where the entire thing is a find-the-exit scramble does the concept better.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

berryjon
May 30, 2011

All primary recordings for Descent 2 have been completed, and I've done recording the first three levels of Vertigo.

Wooo!

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

In the last two videos I'm hearing a weird effect on berryjon's audio. It's like a delayed echo that sounds like it's coming from a tin can or bad speaker and it comes and goes. The other commentators don't seem to be impacted.

So either I'm imagining this/something is wrong with my computer or this LP is building up to a big reveal where we find out that: No, berryjon, you are the robots.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 03:33 on Apr 27, 2020

berryjon
May 30, 2011

That's an echo coming from one of my co-commentators whose audio input can hear the output, and try as I might, I can't line it up properly.

turol
Jul 31, 2017
Co-commentators were really quiet in the latest video and the game audio didn't seem (sound?) to duck for them, making it worse.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Another reason this is Energy World: most of the enemies don't even use missiles, so they're much more sparse because of the lack of drops :v:

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

All those sensely populated narrow corridors seem like the devs are trying to push you towards using the phoenix cannon. It'd be tempting to try and snipe some robots with trick shots around corners, or just say "gently caress it" and spray & pray, but I figure there's an even chance of killing yourself with your own ricochets.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Yeah, the problem with the Phoenix Cannon is that your shots bounce back at too narrow an angle - they always come back directly at you. If they bounced more wildly, or even just more predictably, then it'd be worthwhile.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

The Phoenix cannon definitely seems better on paper than practice. Smart missiles are a much safer and reliable way to shoot "around" corners. In a pinch you can even fly past the corner, poop a smart mine, slam it in reverse and blow the mine if the incoming fire doesn't do it for you.

Edit: Forgot that the "smart mine peekaboo poop" is potentially a really bad idea with a new enemy we get introduced to in the next world.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Apr 28, 2020

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

These levels are the kind where you don't want the Phoenix Cannon, it thrives in large areas where you just pour out the firepower and not worry about applying it directly to your forehead! :v:

It's really good in Fire World with those massive caverns!

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I've never been a fan of the Phoenix. It's one of those that are better in the hands of the enemy than you.

In my opinion, I would rate the Primary weapons like so:

Tier 1 - Use when Able
Gauss, L5/6 Quad Lasers

Tier 1.5 - Use when the need is there
Omega, Helix, Plasma

Tier 2 - Use when no better options are there
L1-4 Quad Lasers, Spreadfire

Tier 3 - Why?
Vulcan, Fusion, Phoenix

Missile weapons are far more situational, so I can't really "tier" them. They all have their uses, like Flash for the disorientation, you've seen me use the Guided to great effect, Smart for the 'fire around corners' ability and so forth.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
It's unfortunate that the basic concussion missile becomes functionally useless after a while. The robots just casually dodge it, so the only way to get any damage with it is to try and catch them in the blast by firing them at a nearby wall.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I like Fusion for the Descent 1 nostalgia but Omega basically outclasses it in every regard.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Concussion missiles are good for taking out/softening up larger enemies at long to mid range, or just where the fight is so crowded that you can spare the AOE damage from the cheap missiles, or just afford the miss.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Yes, I know about the audio desynch. It's due to me stitching two videos together.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

It's been too long for me to remember for sure but I think for those Earthshakers you need to shoot a guided missile into the exit to hit a panel. Obviously you can't do this until the boss is dead so uhhh good luck! :v:

Helix cannon does great work on this boss, but I think I think I remember using the bajillion cloaks, sneaking up on the boss from behind, and unloading full Omega cannon reserves being VERY effective. The boss arena is set up well for hit-and-run attacks!

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I always liked the design of this boss. Sleek. Spiky. Stealthy.
In theory anyway. Plus it's refreshing to see something immune to the God Gun for a change.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I don't think the map-checking really interrupts the flow too much, and I'm the opposite of Leylite; I prefer short trips to the map screen even if that means you have to do it a few more times as opposed a minute or so of "where do i go now?"

Also lol at you laying proximity mines and then almost immediately setting them off yourself.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
Spiderbot 2.0: because they weren't annoying enough last time.

e: I like the idea of the whole game as an effort extreminate thiefbots while getting nearer and nearer to their natural habitat. It's like metroids, except less sympathetitc.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 09:10 on May 12, 2020

mastersord
Feb 15, 2001

Gold Card Putty Fan Club
Member Since 2017!
Soiled Meat
Type O-Negative had some part in the Descent 2 OST. The music in that last vid sounded like their bass-work.

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

The green color itself makes me think of olivine, a very common mineral. Of course, the texture is all wrong for that, but it makes more sense then being in some kind of kilometer thick leaf pile.

Also, I recently noticed I have Descent 3 in my steam games. Are there recommended mods to install for it?

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

idhrendur posted:

The green color itself makes me think of olivine, a very common mineral. Of course, the texture is all wrong for that, but it makes more sense then being in some kind of kilometer thick leaf pile.

Also, I recently noticed I have Descent 3 in my steam games. Are there recommended mods to install for it?

I can't speak to any gameplay mods but as far as getting it running on a modern system you'll probably want to pick up the unofficial 1.5 patch: http://www.descent3.com/downloads.php

After initially configuring the game to run with Direct3D (or a Glide wrapper if you're feeling adventurous) some launch parameters will need to be added to get it to run in widescreen mode. For example:

quote:

<path to game>\main.exe -width 1920 -height 1080 -aspect 1.78 -usesmoothing -nomultitexture -himem -hividmem -subpixelcorrect -nocompress -nointro -nooutragelogo -nosparkles -nomotionblur -z32bit -framecap 999

The extra non-bolded parameters are something you may want to play around with. Also resolutions above 1080p (like 1440) can cause some additional weirdness with certain cockpit view modes and the screen size zoom in/out function may crash the game. Despite all of this note that game menus and the map screen all run in 640x480 no matter what because lol.

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Fabulousity posted:

The extra non-bolded parameters are something you may want to play around with. Also resolutions above 1080p (like 1440) can cause some additional weirdness with certain cockpit view modes and the screen size zoom in/out function may crash the game. Despite all of this note that game menus and the map screen all run in 640x480 no matter what because lol.

Yeah, it's the map/menu thing that is really putting a crimp in my attempts to record. I may actually have to play the game in 640x480 and double the size of the video file in post because of that stupidity. It's hardcoded into the game and cannot be changed.

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

mastersord posted:

Type O-Negative had some part in the Descent 2 OST. The music in that last vid sounded like their bass-work.

They did the whole OST as far as i know!

Yeah world 6 is not messing around. Boarsheads were labeled as "extreme threat" in the briefing and they are not joking :stare:

As berryjon mentioned, the Omega cannon helps with those freaking Spawns. The Spiders are basically the class 3 missile Platform robots from Descent 1 (also green), which were dangerous on their own, but now they're even worse because of the Spawns! Spawns can really fill the screen with level 4 lasers too, which ISN'T FUN

At least the homing missile hulks are more stunnable than the red ones in Descent 1?

berryjon
May 30, 2011

I'm going to be going back and doing a proper unified ToC for all the videos. As such, I do have a question: Do you guys want video runtimes known before you click on a link?

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

berryjon posted:

I'm going to be going back and doing a proper unified ToC for all the videos. As such, I do have a question: Do you guys want video runtimes known before you click on a link?

I don't need runtimes.

I think someone screwed up the level name, it clearly should be K'Wadd R'Lor because of the anagram, and it's the theme of world 6 :unsmigghh:

Also no Thiefbot on that level?? How benevolent.

Bellmaker fucked around with this message at 02:43 on May 20, 2020

idhrendur
Aug 20, 2016

I'd find runtimes helpful, provided it's not too much work.

Fabulousity
Dec 29, 2008

I don't really care if the run times are there or not.

A million years ago someone on the DescentBB put together a list of level names and any known special meanings associated with them.

Darth Wang via the Descent BB posted:

Level 1: Ahayweh Gate - Acronym for \"Abandon Hope All Ye Who Enter Here\" from Dante's Divine Comedy. I read this somewhere on the internet.
Level 2: Turnabout Bore - Turnabout because it forms a figure 8, bore because that's what mines are - holes bored into the ground
Level 3: Wenl Mine - Not sure, perhaps Wenl is an acronym for something?
Level 4: Robby Station - Not sure, perhaps a reference to Robbie the Robot from Forbidden Planet and Lost in Space?
Level 5: Seaspring Gorge - just describing the landscape
Level 6: The Well - Self-explanatory
Level 7: Coralbank Quarry - Self-explanatory
Level 8: Riverbed Mine - Self-explanatory
Level 9: Firewalker Mine - because of all the lava
Level 10: Lavafalls Extraction Ctr. - Self-explanatory
Level 11: Coalbank shaft - They mine coal there? Seems strange they would need it that far in the future
Level 12: Magnacore Station - Well it's the \"core\" of the Brimspark levels, containing the boss, not sure about the \"magna\" part, it could have something to do with magnetism or be because it sounds like \"magma\" which there is a lot of in this level and Brimspark in general
Level 13: Sleetstone Tunnels - Just describing the landscape
Level 14: Arcticon Corridor - Probably referencing the Artic because of the cold theme - LimeFROST Spiral, after all
Level 15: Icehammer Caverns - Again, the ice and caverns parts are obvious but the hammer part is kind of weird - maybe a reference to Thor's hammer, after all he was a god worshipped by people who lived in the north where there was a lot of ice
Level 16: Terrafrost Catacombs - Terra = earth, yeah it's not on earth but I suppose it could also mean ground/dirt, so frost in the ground, catacombs = series of tunnels/underground chambers
Level 17: Y'tor III - Not sure, maybe just a generic \"sci-fi\" sounding name
Level 18: Drec'nilbie K'luh - Anagram of \"Incredible Hulk\", the superhero from Marvel comics
Level 19: Nep-Hilim S'crub - The Nephilim were a race of giants mentioned in the Bible, no clue about the \"S'crub\" part, Alternately: The game credits roll mentions Jim "Nephilim" Boone and Kihan "Scrub" Pak under the special thanks section "For Arctic bug hunting"
Level 20: Gytowt Station - Possibly a phonetic pronunciation of \"Get Out\"
Level 21: N'neri Ring - Anagram of \"Inner\", meaning inner ring
Level 22: Kwod A'rior - Anagram of \"Roadwork\" with an extra i left over
Level 23: Iwihml: No idea, maybe an anagram of whim, but it has an extra il left over
Level 24: Tycho Brahe - 16th century astronomer
Secret Level 1: Segment City - I guess because you have to go through the level in segments
Secret Level 2: Hurdle Chase - All the enemies are mine-layers and you have to chase them around the level, avoiding the mines (hurdles) - thanks to Alter-Fox for the info
Secret Level 3: Mephisto Hardcore - Mephisto is short for Mephistopheles, the name of a demon (sometimes said to be the devil), who most notably was known from a story about a man named Faust who made a bet with him. Hardcore probably signifies that the level is very difficult
Secret Level 4: Galacia Caverns - probably meant to sound like \"glacier\"
Secret Level 5: Ascent Level 1 - Ascent could be taken as the opposite of Descent, the name of the game. I don't know if there was ever an \"Ascent level 2\" so I'm a bit confused on this one
Secret Level 6: Chain Reaction - multiple reactors that add to the countdown time every time you blow one, self - explanatory if you've played the level

As for level 22 I wonder if that was created early during game development? The level geometry felt a lot more Descent 1 like: Lots of tight corridors and not a lot of deviation from the standard right angled cube. The one giant room with just a pair of homing missile hulks in it felt out of place and weird.

Fabulousity fucked around with this message at 03:30 on May 20, 2020

Bellmaker
Oct 18, 2008

Chapter DOOF

Fabulousity posted:

I don't really care if the run times are there or not.

A million years ago someone on the DescentBB put together a list of level names and any known special meanings associated with them.

I actually know what the meaning of 23 is, but I'll save that for next week :unsmigghh:

berryjon
May 30, 2011

Bellmaker posted:

I actually know what the meaning of 23 is, but I'll save that for next week :unsmigghh:

It's actually not as bad as I remembered it being. And yes, I do remember to talk about that acronym during the recording.

As a note, I will need to re-record the level 24 commentary as I kinda deleted my own commentary track, and more importantly, my joystick is giving up the ghost. I recalibrated it today, and on an x.y scale of 0 to 255 (with the middle being 128), it was centering at about 64.117, and couldn't turn right enough to go past 200.x reliably. So I kinda need a new one, but no place in town has any. Not even Walmart. I do have a few weeks of video backlogged, all the way through Secret Level 1 of Vertigo, so that gives me time to figure something out.

Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
I can't believe the ThiefBot managed to steal your commentary file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Achmed
Mar 13, 2001

Bellmaker posted:

A stab in the dark: I wish I had more lives? or lasers?

I feel your pain, berryjon, I also have an awful joystick and suffered through a replay of TIE fighter with it a while ago. Mine seems to have a big dead zone in the middle, so I was swerving all over the place like a madman trying to line up any given shot. I should really just get rid of the drat thing.