Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Calico Heart posted:

How often has Redd visited you guys? So far he's only visited my island once on the day of the update

Visited once and sold me a fake, the bastard. Honestly, museum wing is never getting good, if only you could buy all the art he has but with his rare appearances and only one piece per visit there is just too little art.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Calico Heart posted:

How often has Redd visited you guys? So far he's only visited my island once on the day of the update

Good news, Redd is a super rare event. I reset my town as people know by now and got him to show up 3/27

Since that point I was moving up day by day just to get the daily nook miles things and by the time I caught up, in over a month he has not come back. It's now the 11th and he still hasn't come back a single time. (I've only seen CJ once last month too)

Redd spawns are absurdly rare I cannot stress it enough. You will most likely never finish your museum's art gallery. Just accept that now.

----------------------

On the topic of Time Travel I tested a theory I read about on transferring "I'm moving out!" bubbles and well, if you want to know how it works here you go.

New Horizons lets you have a insane amount of control over your villagers. So much control in fact that they can not move without asking you.. Thing is after a certain point a villager will have to ask to leave. It'll be all they think about since the second they go out doors. Today I had Audie wanting to move out so I talked to her and got the text for moving.

Similar to the campsite just close your game before finishing the conversation and it'll be like the villager never brought it up. Audie will resume pacing around with the thought bubble over her head. Since the game doesn't want to dedicate 2 days in a row to Audie moving it decided "what if we give the thought bubble to a different villager." When I went forward a day, Apollo had it. Maybe it's placebo so went one more and then Erik had it.

Erik left (and I got Judy when I went back to normal time :v: Holy poo poo the luck on my end) but it turns out this is a actual mechanic. So if your villager is thinking about moving and you'd rather someone else leave just... ignore the pondering villager for the rest of the day :v:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Abandoned Toaster posted:

He has visited me once after the day of the update so I have a cool two pieces of art in my gallery.

The game does need a little more consistency when merchants and special characters visit. For example, I was hoarding the more expensive bugs after Flick's last visit to maximize profit and to have the required 3 for sculptures, but it has been two weeks since he last came to my island and I found out you can't use his services on someone else's island, at least not with foreign bugs.

Flick finally came for the second time ever to my island today

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

The Manticore posted:

Redd is here this morning with fake Quaint, Beautiful, and Scary paintings.

Miranda is making ironwood cupboards.

Got some diy recipes by the shop. I’ll be afk so please be nice to each other.

LNMF5

, nevermind, my Internet failed

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 14:11 on May 11, 2020

Chris Pistols
Oct 20, 2008

Piss Crystals

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Shane, I want that recipe but.. Its offline

Is it saying offline or that someone's got their phone on? It's chocka and there are a lot of arrivals at the minute - just keep trying!

NofrikinfuN
Apr 23, 2009

Does anyone know if there are tools available to translate hex colors into animal crossing equivalents?

I am currently converting a few twitch emotes into designs for fun, but I am producing some pretty rough approximations when there gets to be too many shades in use. In an effort to organize a bit, I was thinking to convert each pixel to a hex code so that I can start each project by building a palette and then basically do a paint by numbers. Problem is, even if I get the hex codes sorted out, I will be playing a guessing game when I put the palettes together. I don't think I have a very discerning eye, so things end up washed out or muddy looking in a hurry.

I'm also going to have to figure out a method to combine similar shades, since I'm pretty sure most of these have more than 15 in use.

It's kind of interesting when I can wrap my head around it. It's not unlike doing a picross puzzle.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Oh, I got Hazel leaving if anyone wants her. My wife hates her guts.

Oh noo, mistook that recipe for the Ironwood Dresser. Curse my German game.

Jack-Off Lantern fucked around with this message at 14:25 on May 11, 2020

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

Calico Heart posted:

I've seen him twice since the update.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Good news, Redd is a super rare event. I reset my town as people know by now and got him to show up 3/27

Since that point I was moving up day by day just to get the daily nook miles things and by the time I caught up, in over a month he has not come back. It's now the 11th and he still hasn't come back a single time. (I've only seen CJ once last month too)

Redd spawns are absurdly rare I cannot stress it enough. You will most likely never finish your museum's art gallery. Just accept that now.

This just a tad hyperbolic, don't you think? This is a game that's designed to be played over year or so. Spread out over a dang year, yes, you will complete your art gallery. Chill.

Bioshuffle
Feb 10, 2011

No good deed goes unpunished

When the nook store upgrades, do they need more space?

I have the store in a peninsula, and I'm worried they won't have enough room to expand. If I have one tile of space around them, will they expand without any issues?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Silver Falcon posted:

This just a tad hyperbolic, don't you think? This is a game that's designed to be played over year or so. Spread out over a dang year, yes, you will complete your art gallery. Chill.

Having played New Leaf for multiple years, they're right.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Bioshuffle posted:

I have the store in a peninsula, and I'm worried they won't have enough room to expand. If I have one tile of space around them, will they expand without any issues?

The unupgraded shop has those little ropes around it, that's the upgraded space.

So you're fine

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Bioshuffle posted:

Nope it’s set on outside size once the original store gets created, so the upgraded one won’t knock things awry.

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Redd seems to be about twice a month, so it's definitely more than a dang year to complete the museum, and that's assuming he brings a different legit piece of art every time, which he doesn't. Finding the last piece alone could take years.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Silver Falcon posted:

Eh, the art exhibits are infamous for never really being finished in these games without cheating already- and now that Redd can just not show up for 2 months straight and have 4 fakes with him when he arrives I don't see people getting even halfway done without cheating the clock before burnout.

He needs to have a forced spawn once a week, and always have at least one genuine art piece like in New Leaf, as it is now almost everyone I've talked to has only seen him like... once.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Electric Phantasm posted:

Having played New Leaf for multiple years, they're right.

Having played New Leaf for multiple years, no, they're not. :colbert:

You might have to trade with folks to help finish it, but so what? The social aspect is a big part of the game anyway.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Silver Falcon posted:

The gallery requires 43 pieces to complete. Redd shows up about once a month, and even then there's no guarantee he'll have a real piece. Seems like it will take a lot longer than a year.

Silver Falcon posted:

You might have to trade with folks to help finish it, but so what? The social aspect is a big part of the game anyway.

The only way trading will help is if you're trading with people who don't care about completing their own collection and so you're getting art in exchange for NMTs or star shards or other non-art things.

avoid doorways fucked around with this message at 14:43 on May 11, 2020

Devonaut
Jul 10, 2001

Devoted Astronaut

Maybe there will be special art show events or something where it's possible to buy multiple pieces of art at once.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

Huxley posted:

This looks like a really cool river/mountain layout. Did you terraform a lot of this in or did it come close to this naturally?

Thank you! I actually didn’t add any of the water or terrain myself. Had to narrow the middle waterfall a little bit in order to place a bridge but that’s it. Just got lucky I guess!

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Gates are open on Ruby Isle. Sahara is in town, and some nice items in shops for whoever wants them . Free stuff at the tent site, and anyone wanting to leave a pattern at Able's is welcome to do so.

Don't suppose anyone has a recipe for decoy ducks?

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

idk, they could easily patch the game so Redd shows up twice a month or something. It feels like someone just put the numbers in wrong if he's showing up that rarely considering just how many pieces of art are in the game.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

Calico Heart posted:

idk, they could easily patch the game so Redd shows up twice a month or something. It feels like someone just put the numbers in wrong if he's showing up that rarely considering just how many pieces of art are in the game.

At this point you need multiple people playing on your island to make sure you can buy every legit art item he has when he shows up. I know I was able to buy two items that way on the one time he has shown up for me.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

With people posting their villagers I'm kind of curious- tier lists be damned who's your favorite villager in Animal Crossing?

For me it's always going to be Punchy the Cat. I love that quirky fella :3:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Licarn posted:

The only way trading will help is if you're trading with people who don't care about completing their own collection

:thunk:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I saw him on a island and I really liked his design- but wound up passing simply because his eye shape was really strange looking.

More I think about it more I kinda wish I got him anyway because I like the green and his tiny hat

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Licarn posted:

The gallery requires 43 pieces to complete. Redd shows up about once a month, and even then there's no guarantee he'll have a real piece. Seems like it will take a lot longer than a year.

The only way trading will help is if you're trading with people who don't care about completing their own collection and so you're getting art in exchange for NMTs or star shards or other non-art things.

Patch has been out for what? I month or so? I have 4 art pieces in my gallery, and I haven't gone terribly out of my way to get pieces from other people.

And also, similar to fossils (not quite on the same scale, but bear with me here), as time goes on it'll be easier to get pieces you're missing from other people. Trading with people who don't care about their collection is not the only way it'll help. Say somebody has a genuine piece in their Redd's that they've already donated? Tah dah, they can let someone else buy it!

Not everyone is looking to make a profit off of Nook Miles Tickets or whatever.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Need a quick confirmation: to have a campsite villager not lock in who they want to replace, I have to close AC before the end of the conversation, correct?

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy
this has probably been posted already, but for Redd: each user on your switch can buy something from Redd, so if you have 4 users, you can buy everything from Redd when he shows up (each user also gets their own MiB if they're far enough progressed, so you can do a quick run around the beach for a free DIY too)

that doesn't help you if you want to fill out the museum with real stuff and he shows up with all fakes, but if he shows up with all real stuff you can buy all of it!

Myok
Apr 8, 2005

Technology on the brain.
Pillbug

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I saw him on a island and I really liked his design- but wound up passing simply because his eye shape was really strange looking.

More I think about it more I kinda wish I got him anyway because I like the green and his tiny hat

I knew I'd seen those eyes before.

Johnny Truant posted:

Need a quick confirmation: to have a campsite villager not lock in who they want to replace, I have to close AC before the end of the conversation, correct?

Yes, you have to close out the game via the home button and reload. My wife really REALLY wanted Rasher gone so she went through this a couple days ago.

Myok fucked around with this message at 15:19 on May 11, 2020

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Johnny Truant posted:

Yeah, soon as you see the name close the game out, open it back up and go talk to them again

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Redd visited my island like 3 days in a row when he first showed up. Nothing since.... this game is not giving me enough stuff to do

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
My last AC was gamecube when I was 15 and it's my first so we don't have a lot of context, but our favourites from our group are Spike, Rosie, Eggbert and Sydney.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

Got some cool clothes and Nips are going for 144 in the beautiful town of Bluebelle. Dodo code is FDR2D

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Yeah, I don't think it's gonna be hard or really even a forgone goal to complete your art collection. redd can have multiple real paintings and at that length, there's always someone in the Discord with him in their town. If someone was super serious about it, they'd probably have about 10 unique pieces right now alongside some dupes to use for trading.

I don't get the whole bells or NMT sale thing, though. I only see that on Reddit.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
Of the ones I have now Alfonso audie and hippeux are definitely my faves. I let Flip the monkey move out, he was cool but jocks are dime a dozen and Rowan has the exact same personality with a great interior too.

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva

Silver Falcon posted:

Patch has been out for what? I month or so? I have 4 art pieces in my gallery, and I haven't gone terribly out of my way to get pieces from other people.

And also, similar to fossils (not quite on the same scale, but bear with me here), as time goes on it'll be easier to get pieces you're missing from other people. Trading with people who don't care about their collection is not the only way it'll help. Say somebody has a genuine piece in their Redd's that they've already donated? Tah dah, they can let someone else buy it!

Not everyone is looking to make a profit off of Nook Miles Tickets or whatever.

In one month you've got 4 pieces without another person giving up art they could have put in their own gallery?

If someone's giving up a dupe, they're just pushing their own completion out by at least one Redd visit, unless they've got lucky and Redd has multiple real pieces on sale.

Bismack Billabongo
Oct 9, 2012

New Love Glow
On that note my least favorite villager I’ve ever had is claudia because she is frightening to look at

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think villagers can give you art too (and didn't they appear in the store sometimes in the older games? Maybe they'll do that again if they add more upgrades)

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Licarn posted:

In one month you've got 4 pieces without another person giving up art they could have put in their own gallery?

If someone's giving up a dupe, they're just pushing their own completion out by at least one Redd visit, unless they've got lucky and Redd has multiple real pieces on sale.

What? :psyduck: These words you are saying don't even make any sense.

No? Just no? Like LODGE NORTH said, we have people in the Discord room posting Redd visits every dang day. This poo poo ain't gonna be hard to do.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Help Im Alive posted:

I think villagers can give you art too

They can! I received a statue from a villager the day after Redd initially showed up

It was a real piece of art :toot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

I love waking up the day after a rain and checking out all my new flowers. Got a couple new purples coming in, my first pink hyacinth and four black roses. Two of those from wild rose pairs on my clifftops.

I’m working on a big rainbow garden, and I’m using black flowers and white pansies to help fill in my purple row. This will help a lot! A work in progress that is slowly coming together.

As for Redd, I’ve got 3 pieces in my gallery. I’m building a ramp down to my secret beach, so I hope he comes back soon.