Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

DELETE CASCADE posted:

so how does this work? obviously the company benefits in some way by having people contribute to the 401k, otherwise they would not encourage something that just requires them to pay out more matching during a pandemic. my company does a regular 401k match and they frequently highlight it in a way that suggests it is of some value to the company for us to contribute. so i'd like to suggest this to them, but how does the company benefit?
I'd have to double check because it's been literally years since I looked at corporate taxes but IIRC there's a tax incentive on offering a 401k. But it's also a really easy way create employee loyalty - it's a benefit that usually takes a year or two to vest, might as well advertise the golden handcuffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo the cow
Apr 30, 2020

Iron Crowned posted:

:lol: this is america dummy

So...a workplace shooting spree?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

401ks have fairness testing, so making it more generous to lower earning workers lets the owners/senior managers put more in for themselves.

https://www.guideline.com/blog/nondiscrimination-test-401k-compliance/

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

CEO announced today what the company bonus plan for this year is, and also announced that we're getting a 25% payout of the top tier bonus on our next paycheck because optimism.

:toot:

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

I helped a goon friend of mine get hired at my company for a 73% pay increase. They just received their offer letter today. :unsmith:

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Iron Crowned posted:

Creating the world's most obnoxious cubicle, step one

Why are the ceiling tiles not aligned to the cubicle???

Edit: ???OR THE REST OF THE ROOM???

theHUNGERian fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 9, 2020

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

Why are the ceiling tiles not aligned to the cubicle???

Edit: ???OR THE REST OF THE ROOM???

Because that makes for super lovely light distribution when you are using drop in fluorescent fixtures.

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Motronic posted:

Because that makes for super lovely light distribution when you are using drop in fluorescent fixtures.

No. Please have this resolved by 7am on Monday.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

theHUNGERian posted:

No. Please have this resolved by 7am on Monday.

Unreasonable requests just like that hit too close to home to be reading on the weekend.

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Kreeblah posted:

Apparently I'm WFH permanently now. My company's getting rid of our office building and offering people the choice taking permanent WFH positions, going to other local offices, or relocating.

I'm not moving, and the other offices here suck, so . . .

Something I was apparently misinformed about. They're apparently pairing this with massive layoffs despite my company being in one of the few industries that's undergoing massive growth right now, and the parent company continuing to go on acquisition sprees and increasing dividend payouts. I'm not personally getting laid off (nor are any of my folks), but that's pretty much the last straw for me.

So, uh, how does one filter for "ethical" (or, really, the closest thing to it that's actually possible in American capitalism) and "good company culture"? I don't exactly see those in the Glassdoor filter dropdowns.

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Kreeblah posted:

So, uh, how does one filter for "ethical" (or, really, the closest thing to it that's actually possible in American capitalism) and "good company culture"? I don't exactly see those in the Glassdoor filter dropdowns.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kreeblah posted:

Something I was apparently misinformed about. They're apparently pairing this with massive layoffs despite my company being in one of the few industries that's undergoing massive growth right now, and the parent company continuing to go on acquisition sprees and increasing dividend payouts. I'm not personally getting laid off (nor are any of my folks), but that's pretty much the last straw for me.

Pretty much exactly what’s going on with my company (with the addition of using the pandemic as an excuse to cut already low salaries) and I’m sick of it.

They’re also making moves to reopen the office it seems like (I have been going in during mornings because I have lab work to do but it is nice and mostly empty) with a really limited plan that only includes hand sanitizer and cloth masks provided (1 per employee).

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Kreeblah posted:

PM me when you find out.

My company is tightening the belt while also having a year's worth of operating costs just hanging out as cash reserves. On the plus side, they seem to be paying contractors who aren't able to work for them right now and there's no talk of layoffs.

gamer roomie is 41
May 3, 2020

:)
My work has been saying that nothing will even be close to normal for a long time. They've been pretty good about setting expectations, and are putting resources into IT infrastructure that can accommodate online work for most of this year, and adjusting ongoing projects for "the new normal". I don't know exactly how they arrive at these decisions, but I work for the school of public health at a big research university and I assume they have a lot of good input from smart people who know about this stuff. The quicker everyone starts to acknowledge that this situation sucks but it is actually happening, the better off we will all be. Reading these stories about businesses trying to pretend they can just start back up like the virus is gone is frustrating. I'm frustrated for them, because a lot of it is probably a survival instinct thing, but this is not going to be willed away.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Google says that the majority of its employees will work from home until 2021

That's probably about right for a lot of US companies.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Kreeblah posted:

Government, though the "good company culture" may be a difficult find there depending on where you live. Academics and non-profit can be ethical (but that is by no means universal), but are almost always complete poo poo-shows culture-wise. Even federal government under Republicans can be fine if you're relatively low-level (think IRS, Department of Health, etc.).

I've been trying to find a job with the city or county I live in for like a year now for just this reason.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

priznat posted:

I’m almost positive the CEO will come back with some drivel about how employees own a substantial number of shares* and how this actually benefits the employees!

*majority of employee owned shares being the upper level executives of course but not mentioned.

At my old company our CEO said that we weren't getting raises, but in return let your family know that the company stock price directly helps their mutual funds in their 401ks, so it's like everyone is getting a raise!

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Lockback posted:

At my old company our CEO said that we weren't getting raises, but in return let your family know that the company stock price directly helps their mutual funds in their 401ks, so it's like everyone is getting a raise!

lmao it is hilarious when the mask fully slips like that

people at my company who had never questioned the system before are all going "wait a minute" now, not that anything will come from it

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Kreeblah posted:

There really isn't such a thing as ethical capitalism. If you want to be ethical, don't abuse what little power you have in the workplace, report violations of law to the authorities or unbiased media, and donate an amount you feel is appropriate to charities that you believe in. That does a lot more good than taking less money to work for a company that says the right things about ethics while still being accountable only to shareholders.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

DELETE CASCADE posted:

so how does this work? obviously the company benefits in some way by having people contribute to the 401k, otherwise they would not encourage something that just requires them to pay out more matching during a pandemic. my company does a regular 401k match and they frequently highlight it in a way that suggests it is of some value to the company for us to contribute. so i'd like to suggest this to them, but how does the company benefit?

A good 401k plan is a terrific, tax-advantaged recruiting tool and adds to employee total compensation without increasing payroll. My place also uses it as a retention tool. I get the usual match on contributions up to 4% with no vesting, but even if I don't contribute anything they contribute 6% of my base salary. The 6% has a 3-year, one-time, cliff vesting event. So if I stick around for 3 years, that 6% annual contribution from the company is fully vested as the contributions are made. It's a built-in 18% retention bonus for staying 3 years and then a tax-free 6% raise.

I also just got my stock options and a deliciously low value basis. :woot:

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

Employee stock plan question (yes i know none of you are my fiduciary advisors). I get a 15% discount, and it looks like my cost basis on my forms is the strike price not the actual buy price. In terms of what i owe the Man, is it the true cost basis or just the delta from the strike price?

theHUNGERian
Feb 23, 2006

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Tnuctip posted:

Employee stock plan question (yes i know none of you are my fiduciary advisors). I get a 15% discount, and it looks like my cost basis on my forms is the strike price not the actual buy price. In terms of what i owe the Man, is it the true cost basis or just the delta from the strike price?

So this isn't a liquid investment, i.e. the company isn't public?

gently caress. No. Unless you have NPMI and are willing to take a risk.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, our communication has started leaning in this direction too, especially for tech support staff.

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

So what's "per my last email," then?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

HiroProtagonist posted:

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Tnuctip posted:

You may want to ask an actual tax accountant this, and bring along the legal documentation you have from your job about this.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

Tnuctip posted:

Generally in a qualified ESPP, when you sell the stock the qualified way you would owe capital gains tax on all the gain (both the discount and any growth of the stock) If you don't do it the qualifying way (selling immediately, for example) the original discount gets taxed as ordinary income.

Agreed that unless this is a public company, buying stock is a shaky proposition. Usually you will just want to sell right away and take the discount as ordinary income.

moana fucked around with this message at 05:56 on May 10, 2020

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

moana posted:

Generally in a qualified ESPP, when you sell the stock the qualified way you would owe capital gains tax on all the gain (both the discount and any growth of the stock) If you don't do it the qualifying way (selling immediately, for example) the original discount gets taxed as ordinary income.

Agreed that unless this is a public company, buying stock is a shaky proposition. Usually you will just want to sell right away and take the discount as ordinary income.

Thanks! Also yes i do have a tax person for actual advice, and yes were publicly traded to those who asked. I could potentially just let it build up, but meh 15% discount is pretty good for free* money so i always just cash out.

Dik Hz
Feb 22, 2004

Fun with Science

HiroProtagonist posted:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

I was thinking more something like this:

"Per my last email:"

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 10, 2020

Trabant
Nov 26, 2011

All systems nominal.
"Please advise"

asur
Dec 28, 2012

Tnuctip posted:

If you sell immediately the discount is income and should appear on your W-2. The stocks basis in this case is the strike price and the gain or loss from that should appear on the brokerage statement.

Tnuctip
Sep 25, 2017

asur posted:

If you sell immediately the discount is income and should appear on your W-2. The stocks basis in this case is the strike price and the gain or loss from that should appear on the brokerage statement.

It hasnt been showing up on my w2, that seems odd because its actual shares and escrow money not options, but ill see how my tax person handles it. Also some bullshit that theyve been slipping on depositing shares, last year was 2 weeks after strike price date, but this past quarter it slipped to 23 days, instantaneous my rear end.

Oh and theyre rolling out salary furloughs a week a time for june and july. Slight chance i may dodge it as im part of a launch team but well see. Lame all around.

PhantomOfTheCopier
Aug 13, 2008

Pikabooze!
As per my last email

And the previous attempt: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nedelin_catastrophe

I'm wondering how soon people are going to quit when "too little money and stress" becomes less useful than "living off savings and a free mortgage with no daily b.s.". Of course this is what the corporations want so they can reset salaries to 1960 and hold them there for the next fifty years.

I worked this weekend. :suicide: First time in years (not counting events when I'm on the pager). Left Friday thinking there was a flaw in an approach. Enjoyed reopened mountains Saturday. Each trial takes around 30min, so I decided to run a few this morning, but I got stuck and confused as it kept failing despite using the previous approach for more and more steps at the end of the procedure. Finally gave up and went all the way back to the known-good procedure and started adding.

It sure is too bad to be right. I told them we were ready for testing weeks ago but no they had all sorts of superfluous questions and extensions. Now I get to tell them, Yeah see this very first thing, it's what we want but doesn't complete in time. Considering how basic it is already, we may have to throw the whole thing away. We could have determined this a month ago if the people with experience knew there was such a small buffer. Instead four weeks of waste. Agile my rear end.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Oh yeah, good times in processes with morons.

We want to eventually do stuff from our ticketing system. Ticketing system devs ask us to submit a proof-of-concept request. I make the request: "Make a form, take the fields from the form, put them into a one-line script, run the script on a schedule, return the output to the requestor."

They look over the request and say it will cost us $15,000.

Then my boss and his boss have the "what the hell is this money for and will we have to pay more of it" conversation, which involves your humble messenger being shot at multiple instances. I go back to the devs and ask "hey look if we do this, will we need it for these future things" and they're all "oh this is because the Azure module has to get approved by so-and-so infosec department and that costs our time"

BITCH WHEN THE gently caress
DID I MENTION AZURE IN THAT REQUEST

I'd said that it'd be a nice thing to have in the future but that was never even spoken about as part of this.

They activated my Trap Card: "Per My Previous Email" which I'm going to play with "Perhaps There Was A Miscommunication," my hidden card, in attack mode. No response yet, but I hope they hold firm to the price so my boss can say it costs too much and kill the effort entirely.

He's literally had me doing stuff for his other team, core Windows engineering, that I'm nowhere near qualified for, this included.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Now I want to make a corporate CCG.

In other news, after two months of screaming at HR that Covid is the increasing my department’s workload while they already reduced my staff, they finally decided to abolish the “take two weeks vacation this quarter or lose them” policy.

This might have been encouraged by a certain middle manager spitefully taking a week off at the most inopportune time and not actually answering email for an entire week :getin:

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

FrozenVent posted:

https://idle.cards/

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

FrozenVent posted:

http://www.sjgames.com/svtarot/net/

I have one of the physical decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

My company decided to not expire last year’s vacation after the original May deadline after everyone scrambled to burn it up taking every other friday off etc. Thanks guys!