Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

ThomasPaine posted:

oh hey i'm a dr now apparently lol, they let anyone into academia these days i tells ya

seriously though, viva passed with minor corrections - feeling pretty drat great!

Congratulations mate!
59 x zero is how much content I have for this post

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

ThomasPaine posted:

oh hey i'm a dr now apparently lol, they let anyone into academia these days i tells ya

seriously though, viva passed with minor corrections - feeling pretty drat great!

Congratulations!

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

ThomasPaine posted:

Nice one bud!

josh04 posted:

Congrats! Welcome to the club. You are now allowed to share "the look" with other phds when you meet in social situations.

Ah yes, the empty, haunted, thousand yard look?

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Congratulations. Also I've got this rash, could you take a look at it please?

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?
You can now feel included when people thank all the doctors!

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Did Are Keir say anything of note at all this evening?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

sebzilla posted:

he buzzed like a fridge for a bit then switched off

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Barry Foster posted:

drat, he's getting better at this opposition thing then.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

ThomasPaine posted:

Well done :D

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I guess if you've bought every private rental property in the country you've kind of made private rentals against the law? So they won't be reoffending.

Only if you then legislate to prevent anyone buying or building a house that they don't intend to live in, or that they intend to rent out for any reason.

If you just make a single mass purchase you fix the proximate problem, but not the long-term one.

Also, any putative mass purchase REALLY needs to take into account empty properties as well as lets.

Heck, we could solve a significant chunk of the problem if we just compulsory purchased any property left empty for more than *insert reasonable period of time here to deal with estates*.

(Or maybe, just maybe, abolish the concept of housing being a saleable asset from an estate. If a relative dies and the execution of their will doesn't put their house directly into occupation by a person, it goes to the state and the estate gets the money instead), I've not fully thought this aspect through)

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

sebzilla posted:

Whatever it was I'm sure he was really forensic in how he said absolutely loving nothing.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
I went down the forensic Twitter hole and, um.

https://twitter.com/EmmaKennedy/status/786119866558316544

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

ThomasPaine posted:

Congratulations! :toot:

Although I'm now imagining "Dr Paine" to be a Batman villain.

[e]: Starmer droned something about "creating a national concensus", "working with the government when good", "and opposing when bad" (Jesus Christ) and then my brain shut off.

The ending was "better", in the loosest sense, saying that things will have to change after this, not just clapping for nurses and such, but paying them more than minimum wage and that - although it was said with the conviction of a man arguing with himself if it should be increased by 5p, or 2p and the merits of one over the other. And I honestly just feel this is going to be the Miliband years all over again.

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 11, 2020

dispatch_async
Nov 28, 2014

Imagine having the time to have played through 20 generations of one family in The Sims 2. Imagine making the original two members of that family Neil Buchanan and Cat Deeley. Imagine complaining to Maxis there was no technological progression. You've successfully imagined my life
The BBC is really going for the Scottish government:
Coronavirus: Earlier Scottish lockdown 'could have prevented 2,000 deaths'

quote:

More than 2,000 coronavirus deaths could have been prevented if Scotland had locked down two weeks earlier, according to a new study.

A team of epidemiological scientists at University of Edinburgh produced the findings, which feature in a BBC Disclosure investigation. They suggest the death rate in Scotland could have been reduced by about 80% with earlier action. Experts also told Disclosure the UK as a whole should have acted earlier.

The Scottish government said its actions had been guided by the best and most up-to-date scientific advice.

quote:

News of Scotland's first confirmed coronavirus case, in Tayside, was announced on 2 March. The BBC can reveal the virus had been brought to Scotland the week before.

An outbreak began in Edinburgh on 26 and 27 of February at a conference for the sportswear giant Nike. More than 70 employees from all over the world attended the conference at the Hilton Carlton Hotel. One of the delegates from abroad brought the virus into Edinburgh and infected many of their fellow Nike employees, who then returned to their own countries. At least 25 people linked to this one event are confirmed to have been infected - eight of them resident in Scotland.

Health authorities in Scotland were aware of this potential outbreak by 2 March, but the public were not told about it. Nike closed many of its stores around the UK and worldwide for deep cleans. Nike told the BBC it instigated enhanced measures, including contact tracing and increased cleaning and disinfection processes in their stores and offices, and that all its staff had now recovered. The Scottish government confirmed health authorities were alerted to the potential outbreak on 2 March.

quote:

Despite knowing the virus had been in Scotland since at least late February, Scotland did not ban mass gatherings until 16 March, or go into lockdown until 23 March - the same day as the restrictions were announced by the UK government. Scotland's own advisory panel - featuring Professor Devi Sridhar, chair of public health at Edinburgh University - was set up two days after the lockdown was introduced. Prof Sridhar said there had "definitely" been more than enough information about the coming pandemic for action to have been taken much sooner across the UK. She said: "We should have been acting by mid-February. We could see that this was not easily a virus to be contained." Professor Dame Anne Glover, who is president of the Royal Society of Edinburgh and the former chief scientific advisor to the Scottish government, said: "Mistakes have been made and that has resulted in lives being lost."

quote:

BBC Disclosure asked a team of epidemiological scientists at the University of Edinburgh to model what might have happened to Scotland's death rates if we had locked down sooner. Prof Kao ran simulations to see what would have happened to the spread of the virus if Scotland had locked down on 9 March. Prof Kao said: "The question we're addressing here is what would have happened if rather than having lockdown on around 23 March, we'd done it about two weeks earlier. "While… there's quite a bit of uncertainty in what the final outcome will be, all those [projections] are now substantially below what actually happened." The model, while allowing for uncertainty, predicted the death toll would have been around 577 - about 80% lower than the actual total. He added: "What that indicates to you is that these measures could have easily taken effect and reduced those death rates."

The Scottish government did not comment on the study's findings.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
https://twitter.com/PopulismExpert/status/1259893169912766464

Pesky Splinter fucked around with this message at 19:26 on May 11, 2020

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Blame Canada! Scotland!

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

sebzilla posted:

Rayner at least sent an email out criticizing sending people out to work and urging people to join a union.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Dell_Zincht posted:

Blame Canada! Scotland!

Eh, there's a point. The Scottish Government didn't have to just follow what Westminster did. Health and Law & Order are both devolved, they could've done more sooner.

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

I give it 6 months until the piers Morgan liberation NHS army raises the red flag over no.10

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

ThomasPaine posted:

Congrats! You're now allowed to say "ah, just what the doctor ordered" when served in a bar

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

DEVESTATINGLY

https://twitter.com/PeterStefanovi2/status/1259866258343952386?s=19

I've forgotten the original thread title already, but I'm adding DEVESTATINGLY to it for my grindcore band.

bornbytheriver
Apr 23, 2010

ThomasPaine posted:

:getin:

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012
Chris Whitty finishing off this press conference by reminding everybody that herd immunity is cool and good actually, and it’s not a big deal if most people get it. In a just world this prick will do a jail term when this is all over with

xtothez
Jan 4, 2004

College Slice

Answers Me posted:

In a just world this prick will do a jail term when this is all over with

Yeah he's totally getting a knighthood at the same time as Farage

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Barry Foster posted:

is this a Karma Police reference

Keirma Police

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

Pesky Splinter posted:

Congratulations! :toot:

Although I'm now imagining "Dr Paine" to be a Batman villain.

[e]: Starmer droned something about "creating a national concensus", "working with the government when good", "and opposing when bad" (Jesus Christ) and then my brain shut off.

The ending was "better", in the loosest sense, saying that things will have to change after this, not just clapping for nurses and such, but paying them more than minimum wage and that - although it was said with the conviction of a man arguing with himself if it should be increased by 5p, or 2p and the merits of one over the other. And I honestly just feel this is going to be the Miliband years all over again.

Gotta wait to see Starmer's bacon sandwich game before we can be sure.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

baka kaba posted:

is this a Karma Police reference

Keirma Police

Come on, Starmer Police was RIGHT there

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

ThomasPaine posted:

Big congrats, jumpers and pints of ale in the pub (when they reopen) it is for you.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Dead Goon posted:

DEVESTATINGLY

I've forgotten the original thread title already, but I'm adding DEVESTATINGLY to it for my grindcore band.

I'm not really behind the "gently caress Starmer for literally every decision he makes" train at the moment, but gently caress me I listened to the whole 2 minutes and is that supposed to be forensic? It was waffley, he stumbled over his words, he was shuffling his papers around trying to find the point.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Dell_Zincht posted:

ay dios I've been forensically owned1

1Zincht, D (2020, May 11) UKMT May 2020 - every day is the result of dipshit schemes piling into each other, The Something Awful Forums. Retrieved from https://forums.somethingawful.com/newreply.php#post504780076

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Dead Goon posted:

DEVESTATINGLY

Boris muse be thankful the house wasnt full.
It would be more of a killer blow if half the house roared at him at the end.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Dell_Zincht posted:

Starmer and Karma sound nothing alike for those of us who pronounce our Rs :colbert:

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

ThomasPaine posted:

CONGRATULATIONS! :toot: Great job Dr Paine :D

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

EvilHawk posted:

I'm not really behind the "gently caress Starmer for literally every decision he makes" train at the moment, but gently caress me I listened to the whole 2 minutes and is that supposed to be forensic? It was waffley, he stumbled over his words, he was shuffling his papers around trying to find the point.

Reality is constructed by the media, not by reality. He is as devastatingly forensic as they need him to be, until they need him to be something else, at which point he;ll be waffley and poo poo.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Have we defeated racism in this country?

https://twitter.com/IanWright0/status/1259833040626429954

No, we loving have not

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

ThomasPaine posted:

Congrats! Glad to hear the video viva worked out.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

https://twitter.com/RichardKeppler1/status/1259866885300125696?s=19

Check out the responses. It's British Hillary time, including the aftermath where they don't learn anything.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

crispix posted:

Starmer and Karma sound nothing alike for those of us who pronounce our Rs :colbert:

mr speaker if you'll turn to paragraph 6 section three of the Wikipedia's page on rhotic accents, you'll see a demographic breakdown by region which I will now read in full for the benefit of members of this house

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://twitter.com/RichardKeppler1/status/1259866885300125696?s=19

Check out the responses. It's British Hillary time, including the aftermath where they don't learn anything.

Pretty sure there's nothing to learn (other than that you have to really gently caress over your inter-party opposition mercilessly if you want to succeed).

The point isn't to win at all cost, that's just what they tell the media.

The point is to be in a position of influence through controlling the Labour party, and to stay there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

So this is a thing in Cardiff

:waycool: