Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

This plague might have been the biggest boost to the antivaxxer movement in years. smdh

e: May 1960 was when some load of overrated Liverpudlians changed their name to the Silver Beetles. In July they became the Silver Beatles, and I don't need to tell you what name they settled on that August.

Venomous fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Not if they all have a big freedom picnic

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
Well done Dr Paine you officially Clever Bugger (tm). Great accomplishment, well deserved

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Sloth Life posted:

Well done Dr Paine you officially Clever Bugger (tm). Great accomplishment, well deserved

Actually I think you'll find he's now a TOP BOFFIN

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

https://twitter.com/RichardKeppler1/status/1259866885300125696?s=19

Check out the responses. It's British Hillary time, including the aftermath where they don't learn anything.

Yeah Starmer's just... you could have rang up central casting and they might have found a better example of boring centrist nerd, but they would have had to look deep behind the couch. Even if you're of the opinion that Starmer was 100% the right choice in terms of policy or whatever, come on, you need a bit of fire when you're talking about a crisis that has already killed thirty two thousand Brits and the government seems to be angling to drive that number far higher.

Thirty two thousand excess deaths in what is ostensibly one of the most technologically advanced, politically and civically developed, wealthiest countries in the world. One which the tories themselves are always insisting can stand proudly as a leader among nations! Second-highest deaths in the world when we're not the secondmost populous country in the world is not the kind of leadership we thought they meant!!

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Pesky Splinter posted:

Congratulations! :toot:

Although I'm now imagining "Dr Paine" to be a Batman villain.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Thaddeus_Paine_(Earth-616)

Marvel, actually.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Venomous posted:

This plague might have been the biggest boost to the antivaxxer movement in years. smdh

e: May 1960 was when some load of overrated Liverpudlians changed their name to the Silver Beetles. In July they became the Silver Beatles, and I don't need to tell you what name they settled on that August.

The Silver Scousers

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Congratulations on becoming forensic dr paine phd.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

ThomasPaine posted:

oh hey i'm a dr now apparently lol, they let anyone into academia these days i tells ya

seriously though, viva passed with minor corrections - feeling pretty drat great!
Nicely done Dr Paine :toot:,

but i'm afraid we've had enough of experts, so get in the skip and don't come out till we call for you

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

EvilHawk posted:

I'm not really behind the "gently caress Starmer for literally every decision he makes" train at the moment, but gently caress me I listened to the whole 2 minutes and is that supposed to be forensic? It was waffley, he stumbled over his words, he was shuffling his papers around trying to find the point.

It's not over every decision he makes, just every bad decision. I don't criticise him for deciding to get out of bed in the morning.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Dunno, seems highly dubious given what he currently spends his waking hours doing.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

oh hey congrats T Paine, bet you can get a blue tick now and everything!

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

forkboy84 posted:

Eh, there's a point. The Scottish Government didn't have to just follow what Westminster did. Health and Law & Order are both devolved, they could've done more sooner.

While this is true, and I was raging at them for not doing anything earlier, it's probably pretty difficult to get people to stay at home if you can't furlough them, if you have to rely on the UK government to provide the funding for a lockdown. We need independence like, yesterday, and I'm anxious the SNP won't capitalise properly on this massive open goal.

winegums
Dec 21, 2012

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

The sad fact being there are probably an awful lot of landlords in the Labour party. There are loads of otherwise well-meaning people who happen to own a house in addition to whatever their job is, which they don't want to sell right now but also don't want to live in, so they rent it out.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

Coohoolin posted:

I'm anxious the SNP won't capitalise properly on this massive open goal.

not that this isn't an important thing to think about at some point, but given there's probably not going to be even a start in the process for an independence referendum for a good year or so I feel it's probably a good idea for them to wait until after people stop dying at the rate of hundreds a week to do this

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
https://twitter.com/EssexPR/status/1259920450634813441

dunno who this oval office is but he has a blue tick and these tweets are real bad

no one was ever seriously talking about a 10% mortality rate averaged over the population including people who had it but weren't testing. When we locked down it was on the assumption that the mortality rate was ~1% cf. the Imperial prediction of 250,000 deaths in a do-nothing scenario which assumed some 50+% fraction of the population would get it before it burnt itself out

the "everyone already has it and the IFR is actually 0.000000001% pussies" stuff will get people killed

lies by some arsehole who thinks he's smarter than everyone else when actually he's just greedy and bloodthirsty

oval office

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Coohoolin posted:

While this is true, and I was raging at them for not doing anything earlier, it's probably pretty difficult to get people to stay at home if you can't furlough them, if you have to rely on the UK government to provide the funding for a lockdown. We need independence like, yesterday, and I'm anxious the SNP won't capitalise properly on this massive open goal.

Yeah real talk is that Health and Law being devolved doesn't mean anything if the scots gov aren't able to open the purse strings unilaterally, like the rest of us they had to wait until the UK gov decided to spend some money to allow a lockdown to actually happen. It's ridiculuous to criticise them for not being able to take an action they weren't able to take.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Vitamin P posted:

Yeah real talk is that Health and Law being devolved doesn't mean anything if the scots gov aren't able to open the purse strings unilaterally, like the rest of us they had to wait until the UK gov decided to spend some money to allow a lockdown to actually happen. It's ridiculuous to criticise them for not being able to take an action they weren't able to take.

In organisations I worked in, responsibilities would be devolved downline, but without the resources to deal with the responsibilities effectively.
There was a layer of management - 2/3 below Board level - which we used to call the 'go to jail jobs'.
These were where the responsibility bucks stopped in terms of getting hauled into court if there was a systemic failure but quite often their requests for adequate funding, personnel or whatever to manage their responsibilities effectively were denied by the upper layers.

Same sort of thing here: Wales & Scotland have the devolved responsibilities but do not get the adequate funding that they need so the assemblies take the flack but are not really in a position to take appropriate action if funding is needed.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Rename t Paine Dr fleshlight after he admitted he had one

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Jose posted:

Rename t Paine Dr fleshlight after he admitted he had one

Sure thing mister prolapse.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

OwlFancier posted:

Sure thing mister prolapse.

Just look out for posts from toys for rear end bum who took a photo of his prolapse and stuck googly eyes on it for an av if you want to see who it's from

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

thespaceinvader posted:

The sad fact being there are probably an awful lot of landlords in the Labour party. There are loads of otherwise well-meaning people who happen to own a house in addition to whatever their job is, which they don't want to sell right now but also don't want to live in, so they rent it out.

Old stats, last year I think, but 11% of labour MPs are landlords. 28% of Tories. 25% of Lib Dems but I think that means like 1 dude?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The Apollo 11 documentary is on netflix and it's so loving good if you care about anything involving space

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Just saw these comments under the Crace thing in the Graun:

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2020/may/11/motor-misfires-as-pm-tries-to-steer-away-from-car-crash-of-night-before

quote:

Comment: Please can someone kindly explain to me how we can "control" a virus which isn't visible to the naked eye just by being alert?

Reply: Apparently the government ordered 67 million electron microscopes but they haven'i arrived yet!

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
I got a letter through from HMRC today. I used to be self-employed, and apparently they think I'm eligible to apply for the self-employed income support thingy even though I'm already on 80% furlough from my current job. They say I can apply from Wednesday. I still make residual income from my old self-employed stuff and still file taxes for it, which is probably why. Once they discover that my self-employed income isn't my main income anymore I'm sure they won't give me any more money, but I figure it's worth a shot for more free government bucks.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Bardeh posted:

I got a letter through from HMRC today. I used to be self-employed, and apparently they think I'm eligible to apply for the self-employed income support thingy even though I'm already on 80% furlough from my current job. They say I can apply from Wednesday. I still make residual income from my old self-employed stuff and still file taxes for it, which is probably why. Once they discover that my self-employed income isn't my main income anymore I'm sure they won't give me any more money, but I figure it's worth a shot for more free government bucks.

Careful with that. They're equally likely to give you money, then decide at some time in the future that they shouldn't have given you that money and demand all of it back.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/coro...ocid=spartandhp

Blaming Gordon Brown for the wrong kind of goggles.

quote:

Mr Hancock’s spokesman said Ministers were ‘furious’ about the mistake with the goggles, which they said had been ordered by Gordon Brown’s Labour Government in 2009.

a man wearing glasses talking on a cell phone: While more than eight days' worth of eye protectors have been lost because of this mishap, a spokesperson for the Department of Health maintains the NHS have enough stock to stop using the Tiger Eye goggles for now© Provided by Daily Mail While more than eight days' worth of eye protectors have been lost because of this mishap, a spokesperson for the Department of Health maintains the NHS have enough stock to stop using the Tiger Eye goggles for now
A Health Department source dubbed them ‘Gordon’s goggles’ and added that they were bought against 2001 standards of protection which were superseded by the time they were purchased. ‘Even a decade on, we are still having to clear up Labour’s mess’, the source added.

Around 3 million eye protectors are used every day in hospitals, meaning more than eight days’ supply has been lost. But a Department of Health spokesman insisted the NHS had enough stock to be able to immediately stop using the Tiger Eye goggles.

etc

Even if they were the wrong spec in 2008, this should have been picked up years ago. I am just shocked that they don't rotate stock of things that could go out of date. Surely that's operational management 101! I even rotate my apocalypse cans of veg and bottled water supplies!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I WAS loving JOKING.

OwlFancier posted:

Isn't that pretty normal? I thought that's what the emergency stockpiles were, basically. They take the expired stuff and hang onto it for a bit cos it probably still mostly works.

10 years seems a bit weird though. I guess you could just about blame the last labour government for it though lol.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:46 on May 12, 2020

Mebh
May 10, 2010

thespaceinvader posted:

This describes me.

However I let my house out at a negative cost on the mortgage. After 2 years of renting my tenants are now buying my house at 19,200 cheaper than the price because their rent went towards my house price.

Ps. Please don't put me against the wall please please.

Also. Hl.

Flipswitch
Mar 30, 2010

https://twitter.com/AledGwynWiliams/status/1259826054862176257

oval office.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and access to their Nearest Beach

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

I WAS loving JOKING.

And the lesson learned? Don't make jokes on a public forum, the govt is watching for ideas.....

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
he's the one that was going to go to Poland and ask them to veto the extensions to article 50 lol

his Wikipedia article is one big list of reasons he's a oval office

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daniel_Kawczynski?wprov=sfla1

e.g.

quote:

In 2020, he was reprimanded for sharing a platform with right-wing populist politicians such as Hungarian Prime Minister Viktor Orban and former Deputy Prime Minister of Italy Matteo Salvini, at a conference organised by the Edmund Burke Foundation. He faced several calls to be suspended from Parliament. He was eventually given a formal warning by the Conservative Party, but did not have the whip withdrawn. His attendance was later defended by Yoram Hazony and Frank Furedi.

also maybe if going to the beach is such a high priority to you that not being able to do it in the middle of a pandemic makes you you angry enough to dissolve an entire government, take some personal responsibility and don't live in loving Shrewsbury

e: tbf I am also sort of disappointed in the Welsh, it's been several hundred years since they burnt any of these lovely little border towns to the ground

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

One of the comments under the Crace article: someone said their son is a Whitehall civil servant and they had a briefing this week and were told to forget about the virus and just focus on brexit.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Mebh posted:

This describes me.

However I let my house out at a negative cost on the mortgage. After 2 years of renting my tenants are now buying my house at 19,200 cheaper than the price because their rent went towards my house price.

Ps. Please don't put me against the wall please please.

Also. Hl.

This sounds like tax evasion, you're defo going to prison.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

One of the comments under the Crace article: someone said their son is a Whitehall civil servant and they had a briefing this week and were told to forget about the virus and just focus on brexit.

So I guess Cabinet saw they're not going to get hung from the lampposts no matter how badly they handle things and decided "gently caress it let's not even bother, it's a hassle anyway"

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I mean I wouldn't necessarily take my mate in the comments section of the article whose son works for the government told him, as gospel.

bionic vapour boy
Feb 13, 2012

Impervious to fun.

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I wouldn't necessarily take my mate in the comments section of the article whose son works for the government told him, as gospel.

Came to say this myself lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

You say that, but if "my mate in the comments section of the article whose son works for the government" told me that Danial Kawczynski hosed squirrels and hung their eviscerated carcasses from the canopy of his four-post bed, I'd believe it