Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Lord Lambeth posted:

I wouldn't mind that. I think it's unlikely out of Baldur's Gate style games though.

Or, like your namesake, I wouldn’t mind resurge in point-and-click adventure (out of time) style games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Speaking of R=U, if you wanted to lean into it I think you could use that to also give the GF mindfuckery more impact, because long term GF usage in an individual who's functionally immortal is probably going to have some adverse effects on their psyche. And while sorceresses have been around forever, GFs are still a fairly recent development in FFVIII-land, so it's plausible that nobody would have foreseen this becoming a problem.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Lord Lambeth posted:

I think she's like Sepiroth, a villain you see a lot of lead up to before you actually come into conflict with her.

The difference is that with Sephiroth, even though you don't literally come face to face with his original body until halfway through the game, and only do so twice, he still has a constant presence throughout the game via the Sephiroth clones and flashbacks. Ultimecia has a similar level of presence but she spends the entire time hiding it. So on an emotional level, it felt like the villain "switching" from Edea to Ultimecia, as opposed to the reverse revelation for Seph of "oh those Sephiroths we met weren't the real Sephiroth".

Idk it's probably jsut me but I was unsatisfied with Ultimecia as a villain and R=U would have made it better, for me

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

MagusofStars posted:

To me, the weirdest part is that "you were all kids who grew up together!" doesn't even add anything to the story. Squall's story is defined by being abandoned by Ellone; there's a reason why all the scenes with Squall are him just standing outside crying in the rain because the other kids don't even matter to his character. As for the rest of the crew, it's basically just copying the exact same character dynamics and pasting them on 5-year olds, so that doesn't really accomplish anything either.

If anything, it's a pure negative to the story - both because it introduces the enormous plothole of "GF's eat memories" and because it means that the whole "oh no, we have to fight Matron" dynamic falls completely flat the instant you-the-player remember they just admitted they forgot all memories and emotional ties to Edea.

To me, it's a literal way of expressing how damaging it is to not have ties to other people. Squall and company are playing out the same childish behaviors because they were robbed of their childhoods by being child soldiers. I mean, look at how well Ultimecia does for an example of someone without a connection to others.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Ultimecia is more like Zemus. Sure it was all Zemus/Ultimecia and not Golbez/Edea but they still suck and their introduction made everyone less happy.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Lord Lambeth posted:

They definitely use that technique in FFX when it works for the scene but I think it's gone by FFXII. I can't think of another developer who used prerendered backgrounds so extensively. Ocarina of Time used it here and there but it's mostly 3D.

The Resident Evil PS1 titles were the other big one.

FF got really smart with layering static backgrounds, 3D models and FMVs to sell big moments though. I was reminded about this moment earlier and it's still great:

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/1259618332333891585?s=19

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Party Boat posted:

The Resident Evil PS1 titles were the other big one.

FF got really smart with layering static backgrounds, 3D models and FMVs to sell big moments though. I was reminded about this moment earlier and it's still great:

https://twitter.com/MOOMANiBE/status/1259618332333891585?s=19

Final Fantasy tried to do moving prerendered backgrounds with 3d models which honestly I don't think always worked but it was impressive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jtfNu5wkGk8

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

cheetah7071 posted:

because it's super bizarre to have a villain who you never meet until the last hour of a game and who barely has an impact on the narrative, and time travel is a great storyline conceit for showing characters at different points in their lives
To be fair, bringing in a random villain who you don't give a poo poo about is practically a FF staple - Dark Cloud, Zemus, Ultimecia, and Necron all do it to various degrees.

gigglefeimer posted:

To me, it's a literal way of expressing how damaging it is to not have ties to other people. Squall and company are playing out the same childish behaviors because they were robbed of their childhoods by being child soldiers. I mean, look at how well Ultimecia does for an example of someone without a connection to others.
I don't think they were "robbed of their childhood" though. Sure, they're being trained to fight and cast magic and stuff, but on a day to day basis, Balamb Garden looks like basically any other boarding school. The students have dorm-mates, play cards for fun, chit-chat in the lunch room, skateboard enough that there's actually written rules about it, go on make out sessions dates in the training center, plan festivals every single quarter, a well-stocked library that all students are free to borrow books from, get magazine deliveries, attend prom, have winter vacation, and so forth.

And we even see this directly for our characters too - Selphie in particular has a bunch of friends at her old school, while Quistis is part of card club and Zell sees his mom regularly. Squall may be a total loner with no connection to others, but that doesn't fit the rest of the SeeD crew.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

i don't really like R=U mostly b/c it's just kind of a downer theory + ultimecia seems like she's like, 1000 years into the future :(

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's honestly kind of weird that these kids have lost enough memories that it's crippling but not so that anybody would notice.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Rand Brittain posted:

It's honestly kind of weird that these kids have lost enough memories that it's crippling but not so that anybody would notice.

If Cid knew that's incredibly hosed up.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
If I remember correctly Sorceress' are immortal until they pass on their power, but I also don't really care either way.

gigglefeimer
Mar 16, 2007

Lord Lambeth posted:

If Cid knew that's incredibly hosed up.

He does know and he never expresses regret for it.

MagusofStars posted:

I don't think they were "robbed of their childhood" though. Sure, they're being trained to fight and cast magic and stuff, but on a day to day basis, Balamb Garden looks like basically any other boarding school. The students have dorm-mates, play cards for fun, chit-chat in the lunch room, skateboard enough that there's actually written rules about it, go on make out sessions dates in the training center, plan festivals every single quarter, a well-stocked library that all students are free to borrow books from, get magazine deliveries, attend prom, have winter vacation, and so forth.

And we even see this directly for our characters too - Selphie in particular has a bunch of friends at her old school, while Quistis is part of card club and Zell sees his mom regularly. Squall may be a total loner with no connection to others, but that doesn't fit the rest of the SeeD crew.

I think you have a very narrow idea of what a child soldier looks like that you don't see all of this as being compatible with being child soldiers and mercenaries for hire.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Cid was high as poo poo on fuel oil fumes because his office was on top of a drafty shaft leading to a pit of fuel oil monsters. He's lucky the brain damage wasn't permanent and he can recognize his foster children after they rehab his office to a control room.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Also how everyone in the game treats Dr. Ondine as "oh he's kooky eccentric :) " when his main thing is experimenting on children and creating the means to achieve Time Kompression, he's just as bad as Hojo and that was extremely odd

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:
Would the entire Ultimecia problem be solved by killing Dr. Odine and destroying his machine? Maybe!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Dr. Lugae and Dr. Cid are also terrible people.

Never trust doctors, only White Mages and Potions can heal you.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Mega64 posted:

Dr. Lugae and Dr. Cid are also terrible people.

Never trust doctors, only White Mages and Potions can heal you.

The only good doc is Tot.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

NikkolasKing posted:

The only good doc is Toot.

fixed this

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Marcus: It's Tot.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Jecht shot is way easier to do when you don't use the joycons, I've discovered.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Harrow posted:

It occurs to me something similar comes up in Type-0, with child soldiers whose memories and emotions are hosed with to make them better killers (in Type-0, it's instead that the crystals steal your memories of people who die so you can never grieve your dead friends and family).

I actually loved some of the smaller details about that. Like how everyone in Akademia has dog tags, but they leave them in a single pile at base when they go to a battle. Everyone who comes back gets their tag, then they check what tags are unclaimed. If they recognize the name on the dog tag, then that person is MIA and they should prepare a search party, if they can't then the person is KIA and they'll erect a new headstone in the graveyard.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

NikkolasKing posted:

The only good doc is Tot.

You look like a nerdy philosopher.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

The heck, everyone is just living on a floating continent and I'm only learning about this now

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The heck, everyone is just living on a floating continent and I'm only learning about this now

That is a pretty surprising and memorable part of FF3.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Congrats on the one good part of FF3

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

In retrospective, I rather enjoyed FF8's combat system for the first half of the game. Before you build up your library of spells there's a lot of experimenting you can do but after a certain point tough battles just devolve into endlessly spamming magic. Ultimecia in particular felt like it should have been a more strategic battle and a test of your knowledge of the system, but it turns out the system is fairly shallow and relies on you having collected a large amount of powerful spells so we're back to spamming. I would have also liked to see more distinction between the characters as, limit breaks aside, between the wonky combat and junction system they're all functionally identical. Rinoa at least gets Angelo Rush though, so you're probably going to pick her and whoever your favorite of the rest is (Selphie :3:).

I bought up all the remasters on the PS Store sale so next I'm thinking either IX (which I've never played) or X (which I got halfway through back on PS2).

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Thanks thread, you convinced me to play FF3.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

TL posted:

You look like a nerdy philosopher.

when the sky wears the moon as its pendant
i shall await thee by the docks

he's no lord avon i tell you what

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Ultemecia is extra silly since she carries the spell apocalypse to ensure you can just nuke her with her own magic if you arent just spamming limitbreaks.

Id fire up IX next because its pretty slow and going back to it from X will be a little rough

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
FFX-2 crashed and I lost an hour of progress. I wish the Switch had autosaves. :smithcloud:

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Barudak posted:

Ultemecia is extra silly since she carries the spell apocalypse to ensure you can just nuke her with her own magic if you arent just spamming limitbreaks.

Id fire up IX next because its pretty slow and going back to it from X will be a little rough

Apocalypse really did trivialize that final stage. I'm just glad it didn't play the whole animation 3 times when you triple it.

I took your advice and had a go at IX. Coming straight of the back of VIII, this is delightful as hell. The multiple perspective intro works really well to naturally introduce you to the different aspects of the world without having to break down into expositional conversations. The use of theatrical battles to gently introduce you to the combat system was a nice touch too. Also, I'm not sure if it's a remake addition or not, but I really appreciate the exclamation bubbles, more than a few times in FF8 I was stabbing buttons at the scenery trying to find the sweet spot that actually let me draw/examine/talk to a dude 7 miles away. I'm looking forward to the rest of this.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

RillAkBea posted:

Apocalypse really did trivialize that final stage. I'm just glad it didn't play the whole animation 3 times when you triple it.

I took your advice and had a go at IX. Coming straight of the back of VIII, this is delightful as hell. The multiple perspective intro works really well to naturally introduce you to the different aspects of the world without having to break down into expositional conversations. The use of theatrical battles to gently introduce you to the combat system was a nice touch too. Also, I'm not sure if it's a remake addition or not, but I really appreciate the exclamation bubbles, more than a few times in FF8 I was stabbing buttons at the scenery trying to find the sweet spot that actually let me draw/examine/talk to a dude 7 miles away. I'm looking forward to the rest of this.

One thing to keep in mind is that the game introduces Synthesis a few towns in, which frequently uses old gear to make new and better gear.

Don't sell any outdated weapons and armor until you've confirmed that you won't have to rebuy it later to make something else.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

I believe its mage masher is the big one to especially not sell as buying another one is a huuuuge gap in time between when you get the two synthesis using it and when you can actually buy another mage masher

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

OhFunny posted:

FFX-2 crashed and I lost an hour of progress. I wish the Switch had autosaves. :smithcloud:

Really? That's weird.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

The White Dragon posted:

when the sky wears the moon as its pendant
i shall await thee by the docks

he's no lord avon i tell you what

One of my favorite little bits is “I Want To Be Your Canary”. It’s established at the very beginning of the game. It’s a fairly ridiculous title, but when you hear how the play gets its name during the ending, it’s actually fairly beautiful.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah I've found during this FFIX replay that I haven't needed to sell equipment to make money ever. Hang onto all your gear and maybe even buy an extra of something if you're going to use it for synthesis just in case you need another one later.

RillAkBea posted:

The little exclamation bubbles are in the original, they're really great.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

There's poo poo on Disc 4 you can only get if you hang on to stuff you can only buy in Disc 1.

https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/pc/184962-final-fantasy-ix/faqs/21725

Apparently there's a whole stat-gain system that I never noticed. I hate any system in an RPG where you can improve your stats by playing in a counter-intuitive way, despite it being optional. I prefer poo poo to be fixed and not something you need to think about.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

FFIX's stat gaining system is really weird. You can get better stats when you level up based on what you have equipped when you do so, but it never, ever matters. The actual equipment and abilities you use matter much more than your base stats for letting you beat all the final bosses, and then for the superboss Ozma, honestly your stats won't save you anyway. The best attacks to use against Ozma deal fixed damage (Thievery, Dragon Crest, Limit Glove) so your stats don't really matter there, either.

The stat system is something that you won't even really notice if someone doesn't point it out to you, even if you're doing 100% of the game's content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
With the FF7 modding scene, what are the chances we get a FF7Remake demake?