Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

filk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

get you a big ol mouthful of Leslie Fish

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

anilEhilated posted:

Imagine that being remembered as one of the last things you did before you died. "Approved putting tits on a spider."

I mean Shin Megami Tensei did end up getting pretty popular.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Look you really don't want to piss off Athena or you end up being bait for nerds for millennia.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

Kanfy posted:

If you go down the road of making it an anthropomorphic hot babe you need to go all the way, if they're still part animal it's just kind of disgusting

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Kanfy posted:

Talk about a full moon

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Terminally Bored posted:

Pausing the utterly fascinating spidertits discussion for a bit of news:
https://twitter.com/thexpaw/status/1258825537172189184

My plan this year is the same I have every year: play the games I bought already, including those in the last summer sale and never got around to, and not buy anything new (of course I will buy something new and not play it).

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
I replayed disco elysium again and i want to play a power fantasy no brains game. Shoot the bad guys, get the lady. What are good games on that category?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

Zeta Acosta posted:

I replayed disco elysium again and i want to play a power fantasy no brains game. Shoot the bad guys, get the lady. What are good games on that category?

Rage 2 if you don't care about the ladies part.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Doom 2016

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Zeta Acosta posted:

The original Duke Nukem 3D.

Yakuza could fit in this category for kind of brainless fun, but punching instead of shooting.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Zeta Acosta posted:

Either Wolfenstein: The New Order or the sequel, The New Colossus.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

Anonymous Robot posted:

Either Wolfenstein: The New Order or the sequel, The New Colossus.

nice games, i already played them

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
I replayed Just Cause 3 for a while to get some brainless fun a couple of weeks ago. Titanfall 2 would also be another of my picks, or something like Katana Zero or Dead Cells if download size is an issue.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Silk truk has arrive.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Wandersong is one of the most heartwarming games I've played in a long while. Don't let it languish in your library.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?
If you can get over the janky translation and enjoy the anime visual style, Troubleshooter is *excellent*. It has the JRPG issue of starting slow with training wheels on, but it's the first XCOM-like to hold my attention in a loooong time and has system-upon-system to an almost hilarious degree. In terms of mechanics, it's much closer to what I wanted from Phoenix Point than Phoenix Point managed to give. Sat on my wishlist for a long time until Austin Walker gave it a very nice selljob on Waypoint, noting it might not be everybody's thing, but if a crazy-layered XCOM where you're superpowered PMCs in an anime world appealed, it would very much be Your Thing.

And it is. Highly recommend.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Session or Skate XL; are either of these games worthy successors to Skate or worth playing in their current states?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Wow I didn't know John Romero was going to make us his bitch again with Empire of Sin. That 1920s gangster XCOM looks pretty neat so far.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

StrixNebulosa posted:

Yakuza could fit in this category for kind of brainless fun, but punching instead of shooting.

but the tragedy!!!

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

god I love Hitman 2, but these little mini-missions are getting to me. I can tell that they're made for the people who know these levels in and out and are actually good at Hitman, and they're meant to be tough focused puzzles, but also god "kill this dude with a porticullis. good. now do that and drop a gargoyle on this lady." but there's only one gargoyle and I cannot save before the shot so I get to watch it fall right as she walks away from the location!! aghh!!

I just solved how to do it but sigh, don't wanna. wanna do freeform assassination instead.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
Are there any games that utilize a second monitor? I don't mean stretching one image over two monitors, but rather utilizing the second screen for various miscellaneous info or something. A bit like with a 3DS.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

Blattdorf posted:

Are there any games that utilize a second monitor? I don't mean stretching one image over two monitors, but rather utilizing the second screen for various miscellaneous info or something. A bit like with a 3DS.

The Supreme Commander games had that, you could have a huge minimap on the second display or zoom in to view two parts of the map simultaneously. Not aware of anything more recent though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpKfabnFpu4&t=158s

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

StrixNebulosa posted:

god I love Hitman 2, but these little mini-missions are getting to me. I can tell that they're made for the people who know these levels in and out and are actually good at Hitman, and they're meant to be tough focused puzzles, but also god "kill this dude with a porticullis. good. now do that and drop a gargoyle on this lady." but there's only one gargoyle and I cannot save before the shot so I get to watch it fall right as she walks away from the location!! aghh!!

I just solved how to do it but sigh, don't wanna. wanna do freeform assassination instead.

They ended up removing a couple challenges from that level in an update because they "encouraged significant non-target kills".
- Kill all elite guards (the hooded ones) while disguised as a knight.
- Dump 47 NPCs into the sea.
- Dump 5 custodians into the armory shaft.

I think the latter is fine, but those others, oof. In general the challenges under "Feats" seem like the ones you should save for last or just skip them.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 21:31 on May 11, 2020

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

ZZZorcerer posted:

Surge 2 combat is fun, ripping people apart is awesome.

The story is extremely bad and the level design is just alright tho

If it’s cheap it’s an easy yay if you enjoy Souls-like combat.

I hated it, but people in here have raved about it, so maybe grab it with a eye to a refund if needed? I think it's on game pass too.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

Memnaelar posted:

If you can get over the janky translation and enjoy the anime visual style, Troubleshooter is *excellent*. It has the JRPG issue of starting slow with training wheels on, but it's the first XCOM-like to hold my attention in a loooong time and has system-upon-system to an almost hilarious degree. In terms of mechanics, it's much closer to what I wanted from Phoenix Point than Phoenix Point managed to give. Sat on my wishlist for a long time until Austin Walker gave it a very nice selljob on Waypoint, noting it might not be everybody's thing, but if a crazy-layered XCOM where you're superpowered PMCs in an anime world appealed, it would very much be Your Thing.

Want to second this recommendation. Found out about the game from this thread and it's all I've been playing this last week.

The mash-up of XCom battle UI and cover mechanics with a somewhat FFT-style combat system that has speed as a statistic and multiple ways to change turn order is fantastic.

The game itself reminds me a lot of multiple Atlus games in writing, mechanics, art style, music ... lots of stuff. It also has its own unique additions to the mix, not just a shopping list of other great games.

Some of the scenes have a very cinematic feel and direction and not just in the sense of "has cutscenes" like ME, but in actual camera work and direction. For eg., there's a wonderful sequence right at the start where you get introduced to your char's recent history in one continuous pan across both the city and time. The initial battle in the beginning cuts to people running to back up the battle like some samurai movie made by a famous director.

The game has a lot in it and the anime isn't over the top, try it.

E: The tone of the main char is very optimistic, I like that. There's a mysterious setting to go with all of the above, much like classic Atlus games like SMT/DDS/Persona where you get to figure out what's happening.

Should also mention the actual UI and engine. This does not feel like a small studio game. The combat UI takes its influences and enhances it to be even better. In general, the game feels like it was lived in by the same people building it - there's a lot of effort put into usability. Necessary because there's so much going on.

Turn order manipulation also reminds me of the Atlus press turn system. I'm constantly looking at the turn list and trying to see how I can game it.

v1ld fucked around with this message at 22:21 on May 11, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Memnaelar posted:

I missed listening to Rob Zacny's voice, but I try not to let myself listen to three moves ahead because then I buy games I'm too dumb to play. God that was a good podcast to listen to, and it led me to playing two more missions of Troubleshooter and I really do enjoy it! I didn't have a single moment of "what's this mean?" at the translation, I didn't get puzzled at mechanics, it just all clicked and I blew up spooners.

e: Should note that I just did the mission where you meet Irene and she helps you blow up Spooners before running off to avoid being arrested

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 22:13 on May 11, 2020

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

Serephina posted:

Wait, they where serious? Where the gently caress did somone make Shelob a chick?

edit: Oh my god I just googled that, that's so loving bad and insipid and uninspired and pointless. loving why?

See this is what happens when people milk franchises for way too loving long, you run into problems in the license like "no sexpot female characters" so you end up with Sexy Shelob and the ladysnake in Harry Potter.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Memnaelar posted:

Have to third (quarter?) this rec. I've got like 30 hours in it and it's definitely the XCOMlike I've enjoyed the most in this last season, comparing favorably to Phoenix Point and Chimera Squad (which was great, just too easy past the first third). Haven't tried Gears Tactics for a full comparison, but it is an excelent mix of XCOM and JRPG (KCOM? KRPG?).

I hesitated a lot because of the Engrish in the store page, but the game is better translated than that would suggest.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mierenneuker posted:

They ended up removing a couple challenges from that level in an update because they "encouraged significant non-target kills".
- Kill all elite guards (the hooded ones) while disguised as a knight.
- Dump 47 NPCs into the sea.
- Dump 5 custodians into the armory shaft.

I think the latter is fine, but those others, oof. In general the challenges under "Feats" seem like the ones you should save for last or just skip them.

i should clairify that I've done most of those, I'm talking about the uh... not player-created contracts, but the challenge thingies? "the zebra explosion" for a fake example title. They're fun but the difficulty compared to the 2016 ones has gone super up, which is frustrating to me. (on the other hand there aren't 500 ones set in paris)

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ZearothK posted:

Have to third (quarter?) this rec. I've got like 30 hours in it and it's definitely the XCOMlike I've enjoyed the most in this last season, comparing favorably to Phoenix Point and Chimera Squad (which was great, just too easy past the first third). Haven't tried Gears Tactics for a full comparison, but it is an excelent mix of XCOM and JRPG (KCOM? KRPG?).

I hesitated a lot because of the Engrish in the store page, but the game is better translated than that would suggest.

Quarter, yes. I go back and forth on if I want to rec Troubleshooter but - it's really determined to do its own thing, which is XCOM but with EVERY system. There's even weather, which is nuts. So I want to do the kind of rec where - if you're interested, PLEASE try it. I want this studio to keep doing stuff, and I'm too early in the game to really want this, but I want a Troubleshooter 2 someday, because seeing these systems refined in a true sequel would be baller.

But it's not the kind of rec where if you have no idea what XCOM is, like, don't start here. This is the wild child of the genre and I like it a lot, but you should start with XCOM Enemy Unknown instead.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

If my tolerance for anime is minimal will I enjoy Troubleshooter?

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY
I'll consider SRPG's nominally related to the subject of XCOM-likes.

Because I spent hundreds of hours mindlessly Item Worlding non-optimally to level up stuff in Disgaea 1 & 2 on the PS2--because I'm the type of idiot that likes to do proc-gen poo poo to make numbers go up--I got Disgaea 5.

However, I'm not entirely sure I was able to get into the groove of it.

Does it ever get to the point where just going to Item World is sustainable (ie: you keep getting items, heals, Mr. Gency's Exits, Residents or whatever they're called, etc)? Or should I stick to D1/D2 for those kinds of games?

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

RBA Starblade posted:

If my tolerance for anime is minimal will I enjoy Troubleshooter?

look at the screenshots on the store page. i think you will find your answer

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

zedprime posted:

I think Chris Tolkien specifically signed off on Shelob having glamor like a maiar so it's canon laziness if anything.
JRR Tolkien would be proud of his son mocking the spider that scared him as a kid by giving it knockers.

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Don't you loving hate it when you're browsing a sale, and see a title you've never heard of before that sounds like it could be kind of neat, and you click and it's just dickgirls again

Hwurmp fucked around with this message at 23:23 on May 11, 2020

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Hwurmp posted:

Don't you loving hate it when you're browsing a sale, and see a title you've never heard of before that sounds like it could be kind of neat, and you click and it's just dickgirls again

No, because I don't browse anime games.

Or any games, really. Steam's discoverability function might as well not exist for me, I always know what I want to buy and only buy that.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
Is Fanatical a legit reseller? They're listed on isthereanydeal which I think only lists legitimate ones but I figured I'd check.

Hwurmp posted:

which was it? for avoidance purposes i mean

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
Fanatical is legit.