Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

A trade, title for briefcase, is actually legitimately interesting.

"I will be back and this guarantees me a shot at a title I never lost"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

Dacap posted:

A fun bit would be Asuka demanding to keep the briefcase then cashing it in if she ever loses a match to immediately regain the title

Neodoomium posted:

A trade, title for briefcase, is actually legitimately interesting.

"I will be back and this guarantees me a shot at a title I never lost"

These are both excellent options and i'm sure WWE ain't doing either.

DM Punk
Aug 24, 2004
I hope the baby turns out to not be Seth's.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Doing a "title change" where they literally just hand the belt to someone HHH style is pretty much the opposite of interesting to me

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Sounds like they’re taking the IC belt off Sami too I guess?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

You have to curve it for WWE, which means interesting is now the lowest possible bar to clear

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I mean, when I say "safe" I'm thinking like the cameras finding Becky lying on the ground from an attack and Asuka pinning her. MitB is probably th eone instance where you could do a title change without ANY bump of any kind.

But again, it should be Becky's decision first and foremost. Assuming its actually the case.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Just lol if you think Becky's taking a fall, dropping the belt without getting pinned is kinda her thing

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1259966976924856320

I mean good for Becky and all, but the last thing this Hellworld needed was Seth Rollins procreating

Fat Lowtax
Nov 9, 2008

"I'm willing to pay up to $1200 for a big anime titty"

Having a pregnant woman take bumps in an empty arena match >>>

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Benne posted:

Saraya Knight literally did full matches with Paige in the womb

Y'all are vastly underestimating the craziness of pro wrestlers

That explains quite a bit

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova

MorningMoon posted:

These are both excellent options and i'm sure WWE ain't doing either.

It seems like it would be incredibly hard to avoid doing either one. But I do admire your faith in WWE's ability to screw things up, and I can't say that it's misplaced

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

You can't do it safely and make Becky look strong so they just won't do it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I came to this thread for the Becky news, I stayed for the pics of Finn Balor's abs :swoon:

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

xbilkis posted:

It seems like it would be incredibly hard to avoid doing either one. But I do admire your faith in WWE's ability to screw things up, and I can't say that it's misplaced

Becky Lynch announces she's dropping the belt. She literally does so. Six or so women come out and beat each other around the ring until whoever's lowest in the card crawls into the ring and gets the belt. Asuka cashes it in and wins with an immediate rollup.

Dimebags Brain
Feb 18, 2013

Benne posted:

https://twitter.com/bryanalvarez/status/1259966976924856320

I mean good for Becky and all, but the last thing this Hellworld needed was Seth Rollins procreating

It turns out that the father is Sami, which is why he is also vacating the IC belt.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Dacap posted:

A fun bit would be Asuka demanding to keep the briefcase then cashing it in if she ever loses a match to immediately regain the title

It's the only dynamic they haven't done with the MITB contract. There was a time where Edge held the briefcase and had a title shot. It would make sense to have it as a security policy type deal

Hopkins FBI
Jan 4, 2015

MY SACRED POSTING VOW IS NOTHING, FOR WHILE I STAKED MY HONOR UPON MY COMMITMENT TO NEVER SUPPORT JOSEPH R. B. JUNIOR I HAVE SCANDALOUSLY ABANDONED MY PRINCIPLES

Benne posted:

Saraya Knight literally did full matches with Paige in the womb
Yeah, and look how that turned out.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

see also: Seth being Mr. MITB going into the Royal Rumble triple threat (which is still Seth's best match, no question)

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Benne posted:

Doing a "title change" where they literally just hand the belt to someone HHH style is pretty much the opposite of interesting to me

But if the reason they're doing it is because a woman is loving pregnant and the MITB case actually presents an in-kayfabe explanation for WHY you'd just hand someone the belt, I wouldn't really criticize too much here.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

SamuraiFoochs posted:

But if the reason they're doing it is because a woman is loving pregnant and the MITB case actually presents an in-kayfabe explanation for WHY you'd just hand someone the belt, I wouldn't really criticize too much here.

Honestly sounds pretty lame to me. Having the belt just handed to Asuka isn't a compelling story at all and would be an awful start to a title reign. Just find an excuse to have a match. Afterwards, a champion who has the briefcase could be interesting!

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

SamuraiFoochs posted:

it robs us of getting to watch Asuka constantly gently caress with people by waving the case around at all times.

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

SamuraiFoochs posted:

Eh honestly yeah. It's not offensively bad. It's painfully lazy but it's wwe. What can you do?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
The idea that the MitB match was secretly a match for the vacated championship that nobody knew had been vacated is interesting on paper but probably impossible to execute well. As is, they probably should've just done the normal thing and done a tournament.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MJeff posted:

The idea that the MitB match was secretly a match for the vacated championship that nobody knew had been vacated is interesting on paper but probably impossible to execute well. As is, they probably should've just done the normal thing and done a tournament.

just put the belt in the briefcase and end the MitB match with the winner opening the briefcase to find the belt in it, look confused explain the next night with the champion saying they vacated it just before the match, congrats (new) champ I'll see you around when I [find my smile].

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

karmicknight posted:

just put the belt in the briefcase and end the MitB match with the winner opening the briefcase to find the belt in it, look confused explain the next night with the champion saying they vacated it just before the match, congrats (new) champ I'll see you around when I [find my smile].

they probably didn’t know when they taped the match.

What they should’ve done is have Becky come out with the belt and call out Asuka to trade her for the briefcase. Asuka gets the belt, Becky gets a guaranteed shot when she’s ready to come back.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

sportsgenius86 posted:

they probably didn’t know when they taped the match.

What they should’ve done is have Becky come out with the belt and call out Asuka to trade her for the briefcase. Asuka gets the belt, Becky gets a guaranteed shot when she’s ready to come back.

Problem with that is there's no guarantee she'll ever come back.

fwiw I thought it was really well done and Asuka running around celebrating made the title feel valuable and important (despite essentially being gifted), while also being genuinely happy for pregnant Becky.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

karmicknight posted:

I will say this. If MitB was in front of a crowd and the show ended with Becky coming out and telling Asuka to open the briefcase and the belt was inside, that would've gotten a loving massive pop.

oldskool posted:

Problem with that is there's no guarantee she'll ever come back.

fwiw I thought it was really well done and Asuka running around celebrating made the title feel valuable and important (despite essentially being gifted), while also being genuinely happy for pregnant Becky.

It's a hell of an effective way to do a face turn, I gotta give it that. I couldn't resist a giant smile popping up on my face when Asuka was going BECKY BECKY BECKY

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

MJeff posted:

I will say this. If MitB was in front of a crowd and the show ended with Becky coming out and telling Asuka to open the briefcase and the belt was inside, that would've gotten a loving massive pop.

See, having to be told to open the briefcase is the thing that makes it kind of dumb. The belt being in the briefcase is actually a fun idea, but the problem is that the briefcase should be way heavier than the wrestler expects when they get it. Which is what leads me to the logical moment of "huh, why is this so heavy? Oh! it's the belt! Why is it the belt? and where is my contract?" as a logical cliff hanger that sets up buzz for your next show (since your TV is the big money maker compared to your PPVs and twitter gifs).

I don't dispute that compressing the time for that to sink in wouldn't basically negate the negative points to it though. And it would have been a cool visual which is I think 90% of their booking philosophy (it's been a while since I actually thought about or witnessed the fed).

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
They could've also just had Becky on commentary when they made it to the roof and cut to a shot of her clapping with tears in her eyes when Asuka grabbed the briefcase :shrug:

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Of all the nonsensical booking things WWE does this is a really weird one for people to be tearing apart.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

I think its kind of silly and a waste to just give Asuka the title instead of letting her actually beat someone (obviously not Becky) and maybe have fun with her holding the briefcase as insurance in a title tournament or something.

But yeah, in the long list of WWE booking at least this one sort of has an excuse.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
But Asuka already beat the other women in the Money in the Bank match to become Raw Women's champion

the escape goat
Apr 16, 2008

they likely didn't know Becky was preggers when MITB was filmed; a lot of folks don't share that they're pregnant until the 3rd month or so because there's a lot that can go wrong in the 1st trimester.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

KungFu Grip posted:

But Asuka already beat the other women in the Money in the Bank match to become Raw Women's champion

I mean, there's a difference in how fans receive a wrestler having a feud, wrestling a match, pinning someone, and standing tall the victor vs... getting on an elevator and kicking Baron Corbin off the roof to grab a briefcase?

But again, obviously on the long list of booking questions with WWE this is one that was actually largely out of their hands. I could nitpick how they handled it and fantasy book better ways but whats the point?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

the escape goat posted:

they likely didn't know Becky was preggers when MITB was filmed; a lot of folks don't share that they're pregnant until the 3rd month or so because there's a lot that can go wrong in the 1st trimester.

So was Becky pregnant when Shayna whacked her into that announce table?

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

MJeff posted:

So was Becky pregnant when Shayna whacked her into that announce table?

She told people she found out sometime last month https://people.com/parents/becky-lynch-pregnant-expecting-first-child-seth-rollins-exclusive/ Mania was taped in mid-March. I don't think she was then, but she may have been when the MITB match was taped last month

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

I am guessing that sometime between them taping WM and MITB is when she found out. It dawned on me last night that Becky has not done anything since WM. I guess I thought it was because of them focusing on MITB but Bayley was active during that entire time.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

I thought it was a nice moment. Shame there wasn’t a crowd, because both women deserved a huge pop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Bravo to Becky for getting pregnant during the empty arena era... I mean, if you are going to do it, this is the best time to do it