Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Yeah, Valentine is an example of a guy who apparently had much more personality in the territories. He had a gimmick built around being a sadistic shooter heel that played off of Wahoo McDaniel getting injured in a match with him. This was when the figure four leglock was considered an exotic dangerous move and not a visual reference to old school rasslin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, he always felt more like an NWA guy who somehow got lost and ended up in Stamford

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Ronnie Garvin is loving amazing, Greg Valentine is Ric Flair's older angry lesbian sister.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Yeah Valentine had a weird WWF run

Feuded with Garvin over a leg brace (not a joke, one of them started using it to gain a bit of leverage on their Figure 4 and the other one copied it and they they fought a lot)

Had a gimmick where the announcers put over that he was a slow starter and would take 10 minutes to get warmed up in a match while the face beat his rear end all over ringside

Rhythm and Blues with Honky which he mailed in completely because he fuckin hated it

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Garvin winding up and stomping on someone's face managed to be one of the most brutal looking finishers in WWF. Greg Valentine looked just like Anne Ramsey and I'm still not convinced they weren't the same person

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Critical posted:

Yeah Valentine had a weird WWF run

Feuded with Garvin over a leg brace (not a joke, one of them started using it to gain a bit of leverage on their Figure 4 and the other one copied it and they they fought a lot)

Had a gimmick where the announcers put over that he was a slow starter and would take 10 minutes to get warmed up in a match while the face beat his rear end all over ringside

Rhythm and Blues with Honky which he mailed in completely because he fuckin hated it

The upshot is the match they had at, I wanna say Royal Rumble, is the good kind of stiff-fest where they just light each other up with hard shots, it's a good match

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, Valentine is an example of a guy who apparently had much more personality in the territories. He had a gimmick built around being a sadistic shooter heel that played off of Wahoo McDaniel getting injured in a match with him. This was when the figure four leglock was considered an exotic dangerous move and not a visual reference to old school rasslin.

Oh, sure, but I never saw his non-WWF stuff - just his odd WWF run. I realize that creates a more narrow view, which isn't really fair - but my impression of him has always been 'goofy looking guy who just hangs around and will be your tag team friend'.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Red posted:

he was the Billy Gunn of his day - an above average worker

I'm not a Valentine fan, but he was worth two or three of Billy Gunn as a worker.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Halloween Jack posted:

And "I Broke Wahoo's Leg" is an all-time great wrestling shirt, right up there with "Dusty Sucks Eggs"

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Did face Stone Cold Steve Austin ever lose matches clean when he was in his prime? He passed out in a submission and I can't remember the details of his big three matches with The Rock.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Red posted:

For me, there are exactly two: Ron Garvin and Greg Valentine.

If you watched them prior to their WWF runs, you wouldn't be asking this.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

saffi faildotter
Mar 2, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

And "I Broke Wahoo's Leg" is an all-time great wrestling shirt, right up there with "Dusty Sucks Eggs"

Wrestling heels printing their own shirts that are just plain text is always good

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Admiral Joeslop posted:

Did face Stone Cold Steve Austin ever lose matches clean when he was in his prime? He passed out in a submission and I can't remember the details of his big three matches with The Rock.
From Wrestlemania 13 onward, here are Steve Austin PPV losses:

Wrestlemania 13: Passed out in the Sharpshooter
IYH A Cold Day in Hell: Undertaker pins him with a Tombstone
[wins title at WM14]
IYH Unforgiven: Loses by DQ to Dude Love in a clusterfuck of interference by the proto-Corporation
King of the Ring 1998: Accidentally busted open by Undertaker (who may or may not have been in cahoots with Kane) to lose a First Blood match
IYH Fully Loaded: Double-pinned by Kane and Undertaker (who may or not be in cahoots) in a three way match that turns into a handicap match
Over the Edge 1999: Pinned by the Undertaker after copious interference, a roll-up and fast count from Shane McMahon
Summerslam 1999: Mankind pinned Austin clean after a double arm DDT
No Mercy 1999: Triple H pins Austin in a no-DQ match after Rock accidentally nails Austin with a chair
No Way Out 2001: Triple H basically passes out on top of Austin's carcass to win the third fall
[Austin turns heel at WM17]
No Way Out 2002: Jericho pins Austin after a low blow, belt shot, run-in by Hogan/Hall/Nash to attack Austin
Backlash 2002: Undertaker pins Austin after special referee Ric Flair (who may or may not have been in cahoots with Undertaker) misses some chairshots and Austin's foot on the ropes
[Austin leaves the company after he complains about creative and in response to being criticized they asked him to job to Brock Lesnar with no notice in a KOTR qualifying match on Raw]
Wrestlemania 19: The Rock pins Austin cleanly after three Rock Bottoms

So out of that entire list of PPVs (I didn't bother checking Raw/Smackdown) the clean losses basically amount to the match where he turned face, the title match a month or so later, technically that Undertaker/Kane match, the weird Summerslam workaround to keep Jesse Ventura from raising a heel's hand, and his retirement match.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

saffi faildotter posted:

Wrestling heels printing their own shirts that are just plain text is always good

It's hilarious how much better these basic rear end shirts are than 95% of the shirts WWE put out.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Which PPV was it where Undertaker and Kane were forced to face one another while Austin was the ref? I specifically remember a loving hilarious bit where Austin picks up a bunch of cable wire and then mimes wrapping it around his neck as a suggestion for what Taker could do to Kane.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

saffi faildotter posted:

savage looks like a murderer in this pic

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Edge & Christian posted:

From Wrestlemania 13 onward, here are Steve Austin PPV losses:

Wrestlemania 13: Passed out in the Sharpshooter
IYH A Cold Day in Hell: Undertaker pins him with a Tombstone
[wins title at WM14]
IYH Unforgiven: Loses by DQ to Dude Love in a clusterfuck of interference by the proto-Corporation
King of the Ring 1998: Accidentally busted open by Undertaker (who may or may not have been in cahoots with Kane) to lose a First Blood match
IYH Fully Loaded: Double-pinned by Kane and Undertaker (who may or not be in cahoots) in a three way match that turns into a handicap match
Over the Edge 1999: Pinned by the Undertaker after copious interference, a roll-up and fast count from Shane McMahon
Summerslam 1999: Mankind pinned Austin clean after a double arm DDT
No Mercy 1999: Triple H pins Austin in a no-DQ match after Rock accidentally nails Austin with a chair
No Way Out 2001: Triple H basically passes out on top of Austin's carcass to win the third fall
[Austin turns heel at WM17]
No Way Out 2002: Jericho pins Austin after a low blow, belt shot, run-in by Hogan/Hall/Nash to attack Austin
Backlash 2002: Undertaker pins Austin after special referee Ric Flair (who may or may not have been in cahoots with Undertaker) misses some chairshots and Austin's foot on the ropes
[Austin leaves the company after he complains about creative and in response to being criticized they asked him to job to Brock Lesnar with no notice in a KOTR qualifying match on Raw]
Wrestlemania 19: The Rock pins Austin cleanly after three Rock Bottoms

So out of that entire list of PPVs (I didn't bother checking Raw/Smackdown) the clean losses basically amount to the match where he turned face, the title match a month or so later, technically that Undertaker/Kane match, the weird Summerslam workaround to keep Jesse Ventura from raising a heel's hand, and his retirement match.

In PPVs, only to HHH, Mankind, and The Rock. That's more than I expected but the people he lost to don't surprise me at all. I'd be even more surprised if he lost clean on a Raw or Smackdown. Thanks for doing the dirty work!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Admiral Joeslop posted:

In PPVs, only to HHH, Mankind, and The Rock. That's more than I expected but the people he lost to don't surprise me at all. I'd be even more surprised if he lost clean on a Raw or Smackdown. Thanks for doing the dirty work!

I completely blanked on what the Mankind loss was, and had to look it up - it's the Triple Threat, along with Helmsley, where Jesse Ventura refereed.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Havoc904 posted:

I was talking with my brother yesterday, currently, is there any other finishing move as protected as the One Winged Angel? Or even close to it?

The Judas Effect.

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
I've seen the Judas Effect get kicked out of like 15x since AEW started... in the WWE

The Croc
Dec 19, 2004

A-well-a everybody's heard about the bird!

OH YEAH!

Havoc904 posted:

I was talking with my brother yesterday, currently, is there any other finishing move as protected as the One Winged Angel? Or even close to it?

Mox always protects his finishes.

Quid
Jul 19, 2006

Red posted:

In a company full of colorful characters, Garvin was the most generic person they had. I'm pretty sure one of the Nintendo games had a generic "You, the player!" character, and I just assumed it was Garvin, but they didn't want to pay him.

Pretty generic. What kid picked yourself when you could be Rick Rude? He could do the Rude Awakening,

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

A question that might be best revisited every month: who are wrestlers who are actually making out well BECAUSE of the pandemic? Off the top of my head:

- Braun Strowman: Got defaulted into being champ just because Goldberg didn't want to stick around and Roman valued his health.

- Austin Theory: I haven't watched WWE in a year outside of Rumble, but from what I understand, he was an obscure NXT name who lucked into being on the main roster. He hasn't done anything major, but he has a bigger spotlight than he would have otherwise.

- Sugar Dunkerton: Indie wrestler who got called in to show up to the month's worth of AEW tapings for the sake of jobbing. Just by being in the makeshift crowd, he was randomly called out by commentator Chris Jericho with a silly nickname "Pineapple Pete," which practically became his new identity. Now they're going to have a match and that might lead to him being a full-on member of the roster.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
Austin Theory wasn't even an obscure NXT name, wasn't he pretty much PROGRESS? If he had any NXT appearances it was only 1 or 2 losses, wasn't it?

e: err EVOLVE I got my all caps word promotions mixed up

spongeh fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 12, 2020

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
Austin Theory went from working for Gave at Evolve to WrestleMania in basically five months.

edit: Five months, he dropped his Gabe Belt in November of last year.

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 02:34 on May 12, 2020

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Brendan Vink, who I'm still not sure is a real name, getting actual TV time certainly counts

Hirez
Feb 3, 2003

Weber scored 49 points?

:allears: :allears: :allears:
for some reason The Forgotten Sons keep getting shoved in my face and I don't know what I did to deserve this

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Benne posted:

Brendan Vink, who I'm still not sure is a real name, getting actual TV time certainly counts

Sounds like a real nutbag.

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I continue to be amazed the fed fired one half of the stand out tag team in the TMDK, only to scrape around the performance center until they found one of the other members to give to Shane Haste as a tag team partner.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

karmicknight posted:

I continue to be amazed the fed fired one half of the stand out tag team in the TMDK, only to scrape around the performance center until they found one of the other members to give to Shane Haste as a tag team partner.

Didn't he request his release?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I thought after the "he requested his release" was reported he disputed that somewhere, but I don't quite know where, maybe his twitter at the time?

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I feel like kip sabian is getting more TV time than he might have in other circumstances. Not that I'm complaining.

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!
The Garvin-Valentine feud was awesome. Some of the angles are a little goofy (like the magic shin guards), but the matches are fantastic and Garvin being retired by Valentine only to torment him as a troubleshooting referee was a fun idea. Plus the real-life backstory (Garvin, seeing himself entering purgatory, pitched the whole feud, angle by angle, for himself and kindred spirit Valentine, and Vince loved it.)

If you want to really see what Valentine can do:

* The easiest way is the Piper feud from Crockett. All of the big beats should be available on the 1983 episodes of Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling on WWE Network, plus there's an INCREDIBLE house show match in Hidden Gems and the legendary dog collar match blowoff was at Starrcade '83.

* He wasn't ALL lost in the WWF outside of the Garvin feud. The Tito Santana feud is fantastic, as is his MSG title IC defense against Steamboat. He also shows a lot more personality earlier in his run, as a pushed guy/IC champion. Not just doing the same character he had done before, but also stuff like the TNT segment where his wife gives him a massage.

* There are multiple versions of him breaking Wahoo's leg (NOT with the figure four) on YouTube.

Start there.

purkey
Dec 5, 2003

I hate the 90s

It’s important to call the magic shin guards by their proper name: The Hammer Jammer

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

purkey posted:

It’s important to call the magic shin guards by their proper name: The Hammer Jammer
And the Hart Breaker!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Austin Theory is a weird one because like... in 2019, he was just the Young Blue Chip Champ of Evolve and (in Evolve) had matches where he beat Darby Allin, John Silver, Kyle O'Reilly, Nate Webb, Orange Cassidy, AR Fox, etc. He may have lost the matches, but he also had main event competitive matches in Evolve with Cole, Strong, and Gargano.

Then in 2020 he's in NXT and goes 50-50 (beating DJ Z and Swerve Scott, losing to Tyler Breeze and Tomasso Ciampa on TV) and then gets called up to Raw because Andrade got hurt and proceeds to be on the losing side of tag matches on the Raw before Mania, Wrestlemania itself, and the Raw After Mania.

Then he beats Akira Tozawa and Shane Thorne on Main Event.

Then he loses to Aleister Black in a Money in the Bank qualifier, then loses another tag team match, then loses in the gauntlet match, and tonight gets kicked in the face while his stablemates laughed.

So it's definitely more exposure, but is it actually better to be a fourth wheel in a loser heel stable on empty arena Raws as opposed to the young guy Evolve was being built around?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Austin Theory was another one of those industry plants so the call up to be just another body is in theory not good for him, but it's how everyone ends up so it doesn't matter if they maybe had bigger plans for him.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Just chiming in: I loved that Valentine/Garvin feud at the time, it felt like they beat the poo poo out of each other.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

I never thought of Garvin as having been the Yourself in Wrestlemania Challenge, but I definitely got some Garvin vibes from the ref in Royal Rumble

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

running into that ref was the most satisfying move in any of the games on that engine and that isn't an indictment against the moves