Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Cornuto posted:

I kind of feel like we shouldn't bother doing a big debrief with Ishamal. Or at the very least just handle it as an info dump and leave without asking for sage advice or question time. I assume he knows everything that went on already and won't comment on any of it. It feels like every interaction with ishamal he moves our relationship to be more and more arm's length and transactional. I'd rather just reciprocate than getting frustrated over it like we usually do.

I'd rather just ask him if there's anything in particular that we definitely can't discuss with tudiya.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

super sweet best pal posted:

We should really reestablish relations with Indor or at least Puabi. We should marry Puabi.

Those ships have sailed. And returned. And sailed again. Repeatedly until they were decommissioned and torn apart for scrap.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST

Cornuto posted:

I kind of feel like we shouldn't bother doing a big debrief with Ishamal. Or at the very least just handle it as an info dump and leave without asking for sage advice or question time. I assume he knows everything that went on already and won't comment on any of it. It feels like every interaction with ishamal he moves our relationship to be more and more arm's length and transactional. I'd rather just reciprocate than getting frustrated over it like we usually do.

Except he's slowly telling us more and more? like when he told us about what happened when we tried stargazing and accidentally glimpsed a possible future or that he wont tell us about our potential powers because we might use them accidentally in our sleep, or the "burning a forest" metaphor. He's just not going to tell us about the state of the world, or history, which... we already know he wont.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cornuto posted:

Voting we don't even go see him. I'm sick of the 'run to papi ish and beg for information while he sips his beer' shtick. He's retired and we have a city to run. If he wants to shoot the poo poo he can come find us.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

I think there's probably some value in running a few things past him, but not a huge amount of it. We know not to upset the general order of the world. We should probably keep our experience at "Badad" relatively secret, most people don't need to know that stuff. But stuff like "yeah you should definitely return those lightbulbs to Nikall otherwise we're going to have a big problem" is worth knowing.

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004

I love you, boy. One pack, always.

Lipstick Apathy

Cornuto posted:

Let's do a fun prank on Ish. We pretend we don't know who he is for a while.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Tsyni posted:

Let's do a fun prank on Ish. We pretend we don't know who he is for a while.

CainsDescendant
Dec 6, 2007

Human nature

CloFan posted:

A friend sent a link to this thread in January, and I've been reading ever since. Finally caught up on all 500+ pages of Diog's posts! What an adventure, I'm glad Enki isn't dead yet so I can vote.

Worst decision: Toss up between Billy and Chait. I understand wanting to prove you don't have to breathe, but those consequences were awful. And Azzazel still hasn't forgiven us :cry:. Chait is whatever, we're going to Seir in a few years (right??) it was just dumb since we could have literally said nothing and it would have ben fine because we didn't kill the woman.

Crackpot theory: This is a hard one, since I only read Diog's posts I don't know what's been discussed or debunked or is otherwise common knowledge. El doesn't exist, of course, but we can't let anyone else know we know that. The Mountain is a giant soulstone that powers Ea's ominpotence/power over Ur. We could one day be like Amos and Amok, if we bide our time and get some El-damned answers about the world from the aliens or Earth mother or anyone since Ish ain't gonna say poo poo.

I've missed a ton of artwork, I'm sure. Carine Tools still cracks me up thinking about it.

Goons, what have I missed in the last 6.66k pages?

Oh man I've been waiting for this post. Welcome to the hive of squirrels piloting Enkidel. I'll overlook the heresy since you're new here

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

TheCog posted:

Except he's slowly telling us more and more? like when he told us about what happened when we tried stargazing and accidentally glimpsed a possible future or that he wont tell us about our potential powers because we might use them accidentally in our sleep, or the "burning a forest" metaphor. He's just not going to tell us about the state of the world, or history, which... we already know he wont.

The only thing I wanna ask about is the weird dreams we've been having, since this stuff can make us go crazy and maybe it means something for our training.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

There’s never any downside to chillin with Ish besides angsty teen posters getting upset that we have a mentor

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

Ish is good

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

Is Ishamal the only person we can talk about Every-strike with, or was I misremembering? We should visit Ishamal and talk only about forging.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Butt Discussin posted:

Is Ishamal the only person we can talk about Every-strike with, or was I misremembering? We should visit Ishamal and talk only about forging.

I honestly can't remember. I thought Everstrike was strictly between Enkidel, Everstrike, and Melachim, but I'm nowhere near certain

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Hopefully Every-strike likes to use monster bits as ingredients so we can really get back to our roots. Danal's turtle armor was rad.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

SniperWoreConverse posted:

The mask is the face.

Even if you're willing to entertain this obviously fake concept, by wearing the "El mask" whoever is "underneath" has destroyed whatever attributes they may have had and assumed only El attributes. Can't act or even think as not-El or everyone would know, all the beings at that level can tell from your metabrain hyperwaves.

El is El in a utilitarian sense that he does only El-stuff. But also in his substance, not merely in his image, as if someone were trying to fake it.

If some being could in any way pretend to be El how could it have any similarity to "a fox, but a god?" Even "the ideal trickster" couldn't cut it. The only thing that could be big and powerful enough to pretend to be El would literally be El by virtue of this incredible might and spiritual hugeness.

What makes you think this? We have amble evidence that El did not exist at some point in the past (whether that means El never existed or was gone for a period is unclear) and pretty much everyone with super divine sense has either told us "El is a fraud" or "I won't tell you about this because you can't handle the truth" or "ask a priest who will tell you the approved lie." There's also evidence despite the party line about how El made demons so people could heroically fight them, that El is not all that mighty or huge compared to his rivals.

My thoughts: This El is not the creator, is not all-powerful, and is constantly spinning lies to maintain a fragile front. If El is trying to impersonate the creator to anyone but mortals they are doing an incredibly lovely job of it, since no one buys it besides Amos and he's a huge sucker.

There was a creator. Creator hosed off. There were bad times. A collection of ideologically aligned Gods decided it was time to fix things on their own by creating artificial monotheism. Since belief has power Planescape Torment style, they hope that when the majority of people believe in El as the One True God there will be a new world order. They rescued some demon-slaves that didn't know anything, empowered one of them to be their prophet and started their physical and ideological conquest.

Ea is a trickster and came up with a truly grand trick. He's trying to make the whole world believe, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that he is the only God.

Victis
Mar 26, 2008

the_steve posted:

I honestly can't remember. I thought Everstrike was strictly between Enkidel, Everstrike, and Melachim, but I'm nowhere near certain

ES asked Enkidel if Ish was his mentor, did some calculations, then determined that Enk could in fact speak about ES with him.

Mr. Prokosch posted:

What makes you think this? We have amble evidence that El did not exist at some point in the past (whether that means El never existed or was gone for a period is unclear) and pretty much everyone with super divine sense has either told us "El is a fraud" or "I won't tell you about this because you can't handle the truth" or "ask a priest who will tell you the approved lie." There's also evidence despite the party line about how El made demons so people could heroically fight them, that El is not all that mighty or huge compared to his rivals.

My thoughts: This El is not the creator, is not all-powerful, and is constantly spinning lies to maintain a fragile front. If El is trying to impersonate the creator to anyone but mortals they are doing an incredibly lovely job of it, since no one buys it besides Amos and he's a huge sucker.

There was a creator. Creator hosed off. There were bad times. A collection of ideologically aligned Gods decided it was time to fix things on their own by creating artificial monotheism. Since belief has power Planescape Torment style, they hope that when the majority of people believe in El as the One True God there will be a new world order. They rescued some demon-slaves that didn't know anything, empowered one of them to be their prophet and started their physical and ideological conquest.

Ea is a trickster and came up with a truly grand trick. He's trying to make the whole world believe, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that he is the only God.

lol. That's a ton of assumptions from specious sources, compared to what Enkidel has experienced himself

hmm yes, this Sex Grandma with an agenda is the source of truth we should listen to. In case you forgot, that's where the entire Ea concept came from. I don't think anyone is arguing that El is definitively the god above all, but he's absolutely real and powerful, and seems to be the 'best' divine source of power that Enkidel has run into over his 100 years of life.

edit: what evidence has there been that El wasn't around? Even in Carine Tower there was a massive section devoted to the Big Blue Ball

Victis fucked around with this message at 22:29 on May 11, 2020

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

There’s a dissonance between the Pantokrator and El/Ea mythos. Amok says that the Pantokrator didn’t care and hosed off and didn’t know what El/Har was. Plus when we said we serve El he said ‘Yeah. Which one?’ implying that El is just the word God so who it actually is among the powers is yet to be determined. The truth is ironically probably somewhere in the middle.

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

IMO Sniper is correct for denying essence in favor of appearance.

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!
Yep, Amok had no reason to lie, he didn't give a poo poo and had no dog in the fight. He looked over at Mt. Har and very quickly gave us a bunch of honest information

1. It's new to him.
2. It's strong but not infinitely strong
3. He could fight it but it wouldn't be worth the cost

I thought the Ea stuff comes from the Objectively Right Malachim Worshippers the we murdered as well as Grandma? Everyone we've talked to has had a different creation myth, usually with their own God on top. Why do we give primacy to the El version when we have solid evidence that the House of El is full of poo poo?

Boonoo
Nov 4, 2009

ASHRAKAN!
Take your Thralls and dive back into the depths! Give us the meat and GO!
Grimey Drawer
I’m surprised by the number of folks that seem to buy into the Kadmonim’s El is actually Ea story.

It just seems so blatantly the sort of talk you would use to denigrate another group’s beliefs.

“Not only do you worship a false god, but your false god is actually one of our gods. We’re the superior culture with the true religion blah blah blah. “

Maybe I’m misinterpreting what’s been said, though. Maybe the El/Ea talk is less literally about the Kadmonim telling and more about some being pretending to be the creator.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

the_steve posted:

We can talk about Everystrike with Ish and Snarls, but that's it as far as non-melachim. The much trickier bit is how to leak the things we learn to the general smithing public without looking like we're literally talking to a divinely gifted hammer. Adina can't know about Everystrike, for instance, and trying to explain our sudden improvement is going to hinge pretty carefully on some advice from ES as well as leaning very heavily on our epiphany while running across Ur, with a heaping helping of "I learned a crazy secret from this old dude I met in Karnak/Khasis/Carine/Whichever is least likely for you to visit."

Mr. Prokosch posted:

El is just the OG fella, come back after things went to poo poo. Initially he makes melachim, the world, men, whatever. Melachim get horny and have children with men, nephilim ruin everything and the world goes to poo poo. El says gently caress this and goes to the store for some smokes, never to return.

Everything is now poo poo, and gets worse for a while. Eventually Smythos and pals either clean up the ashes and remake humanity, or salvage what little bit of the world they could and try to maintain some semblance of order. But they really want El to come back, so they do their best to get daddy to come home, and he does. But he's always like six inches from the door now, ready to gently caress off, so they need to maintain an iron grip on stuff so that no one steps out of line or he's going right back into the void and abandoning them again.

The funny part is that El is actually ok with a bunch of stuff that they don't realize or don't want to risk, which is why he is chill with most of Enkidel's behavior despite it being counter to Urian values. So the church has taken a super restrictive, hard line interpretation on stuff to remain as inoffensive as possible, and that leads to the disconnect between what the church says and what El says directly to Enkidel.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 23:10 on May 11, 2020

Brain Candy
May 18, 2006

Watch https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I48hr8HhDv0&t=51s for a record of why we're missing some rules since the time of Orb

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Victis posted:

There’s never any downside to chillin with Ish besides angsty teen posters getting upset that we have a mentor

:hai:

It's definitely super frustrating to have to deal with "I'll tell you when you're older" / "takes a sip" but he's probably oath bound not to gently caress up our training.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Olothreutes posted:

We can talk about Everystrike with Ish and Snarls, but that's it as far as non-melachim. The much trickier bit is how to leak the things we learn to the general smithing public without looking like we're literally talking to a divinely gifted hammer. Adina can't know about Everystrike, for instance, and trying to explain our sudden improvement is going to hinge pretty carefully on some advice from ES as well as leaning very heavily on our epiphany while running across Ur, with a heaping helping of "I learned a crazy secret from this old dude I met in Karnak/Khasis/Carine/Whichever is least likely for you to visit."

Nah, spreading knowledge will be the easy part.
We're heavily Blooded and clearly favored by El, obviously El just chose to bestow some good forge knowledge on us.

Itll be an easier sell if our first 'big' discoveries involve Blooded Bronze, but otherwise yeah, there will be minimum difficulty. Especially since without Samson to poo poo all over our parade, I don't think there are any blacksmiths good enough to call us out on our technique.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
We also have the benefit of going to very blooded cities with legacies of master blacksmithing, we can plausibly say that we just managed to pick up a few tricks they didn't even think was worth guarding jealously since obviously everyone knows about them.

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009

Volmarias posted:

We also have the benefit of going to very blooded cities with legacies of master blacksmithing, we can plausibly say that we just managed to pick up a few tricks they didn't even think was worth guarding jealously since obviously everyone knows about them.

We can slant-lie. We gained access to a wealth of forging advice that's still on us to capitalize on, that we're sworn to secrecy about, but which are all El-approved.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

CainsDescendant posted:

Oh man I've been waiting for this post. Welcome to the hive of squirrels piloting Enkidel. I'll overlook the heresy since you're new here

:glomp:

Thanks for the theology lessons, I can see I have much to learn!

Polgas
Sep 2, 2018

With one hand he saves gebs. With the other he commits goblin genocide. A true neutral.

We should convert the Puabi and any future witches to EL Enkidel worship so they get ??? from enkidel and more importantly get the balls the xcom equivalent of a science/engineering team. Ball kill something cool. Witch makes thing from it and gives it to the ball to go kill something and the cycle continues.

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Next update tomorrow or Wednesday, sorry for the wait folks, thank you for your patience.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Can imagine the shoptalk from when the SnullsPissDrink Stein was made? People are making steins of ugly kids and band logos and then that shows up?

New Wrongvoter, definitely go back and re-read the entire thread post-reboot, at least checking pages for highlights as you skip along. There's a lot of good times with artwork, secret Santas, minigames, theorycrafting, and other fun times you won't find elsewhere. Plus it'll get you a better idea of the political landscape as it were so you can properly waste your vote.

AJ_Impy
Jun 17, 2007

SWORD OF SMATTAS. CAN YOU NOT HEAR A WORLD CRY OUT FOR JUSTICE? WHEN WILL YOU DELIVER IT?
Yam Slacker

Volmarias posted:

We can even tell the truth. “It’s just something I picked up around Karnak.“

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Blasphemaster posted:

New Wrongvoter, definitely go back and re-read the entire thread post-reboot, at least checking pages for highlights as you skip along. There's a lot of good times with artwork, secret Santas, minigames, theorycrafting, and other fun times you won't find elsewhere. Plus it'll get you a better idea of the political landscape as it were so you can properly waste your vote.

This is good advice. There are so many great pieces of art that have been unleashed upongiven to us, so many batshit theories (and some that bring new insight and even in one special case evolve Enkidel's understanding of something) and well, if you see anything mentioning Chaitgate, just, uh, skip that.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

I'd be very careful about going back and reading 3,000 pages of this madness, the signal to noise ratio is real low and reading argument #792 on the same topic is kinda like reading the Necronomicon.

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008
Bonemonkey did a lot of cool art. Swedishthaumacracy has also done some spectacular work. There probably should be a fan art post and a mini-cyoa post. This game has gone on for a long time.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Schwza posted:

Bonemonkey did a lot of cool art. Swedishthaumacracy has also done some spectacular work. There probably should be a fan art post and a mini-cyoa post. This game has gone on for a long time.

7 years as of next Monday!

Schwza
Apr 28, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

I don't want to think about this. What an insane endeavour, diog. I salute you.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

There Bias Two posted:

gently caress me

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug

There Bias Two posted:

And somewhere out there...Sojenous is still falling.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

There Bias Two posted:

I'm on my third kid... Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Crazycryodude posted:

I'd be very careful about going back and reading 3,000 pages of this madness, the signal to noise ratio is real low and reading argument #792 on the same topic is kinda like reading the Necronomicon.

90% of my contributions are low content shitposts so just read them if you want the McDonalds version of Paradise Lost thread lite. I originally supported Ish and even went through a hunger phase so you get a bit of everything.

e: 127 pages, or around 6350 shitposts.