Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs

Bottom Liner posted:

Speaking of, hows the Res Arcana expansion? Does it flesh out the solid core or is it mostly unneeded?

I feel it's absolutely great, and would not play without it. It might not seem like much when you look at the contents in the box, but it really tightens the game up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

thespaceinvader posted:

Gloomhaven standalone has some different content (a couple of its own monsters, and a substantially different campaign IIRC) but is very incomplete at present (last I checked they hadn't even coded all of the base classes let alone any of the extended ones).

TTS is just a copy of the boardgame.

Yeah the standalone Steam version is still very much early access, I checked it out just last week and there are only a fraction of characters, etc.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

thespaceinvader posted:

Gloomhaven standalone has some different content (a couple of its own monsters, and a substantially different campaign IIRC) but is very incomplete at present (last I checked they hadn't even coded all of the base classes let alone any of the extended ones).

I forget how many base classes Gloomhaven has (6?), but I think they're all there now. They did code one of the extended classes Elementalist. No campaign or multiplayer yet, though.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
The back end & fundamentals do seem solid and was surely a horseload of work.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Ogdred Weary posted:

I feel it's absolutely great, and would not play without it. It might not seem like much when you look at the contents in the box, but it really tightens the game up.

Thanks. That’s what I suspected given Lehman’s designs. Now to just find both in stock at the same place.

Bardeh
Dec 2, 2004

Fun Shoe
We got through Scenario 21 on the TTS version of Gloomhaven tonight. There is definitely quite a learning curve for both the software itself and the Gloomhaven mod, and that scenario specifically has some conditions that add even more complications. Let's just say it wasn't the ideal scenario for us to be on for our first game on TTS. We did manage to muddle through it in the end though, and it's awesome that we can continue our campaign despite the lockdown.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

I wouldn't rather play Gloomhaven on TTS than in person, but I'd rather set up and play Gloomhaven on TTS than set up and play it in person. I think learning it for the first time on TTS would have been overwhelming though, since learning both how to play the game and how to use the interface would have been a lot.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

When teaching Modern Art, should you advise people not to buy their own paintings, or is that going too far into "telling people how to play" territory.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I just point out when people get a good deal and that mostly works

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
There are situations where it can be the right move, especially when people are new to the game.

Mighty Eris
Mar 24, 2005

Jolly good show, eh old man?

pospysyl posted:

When teaching Modern Art, should you advise people not to buy their own paintings, or is that going too far into "telling people how to play" territory.

I feel like auction games get horribly skewed by large experience differentials, so if you’re going to teach and play you should at least give them an idea of your heiuristics so they have something to build off of. As long as you’re not trying to lay down some sort of rules of play it’s a good move (eg. “usually it’s best to have other people buy your paintings” vs “NEVER buy your own paintings.”).

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Yeah buying your own can be a good move depending on values and timing.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
Has anyone else been trying Bargain Basement Bathyspheres (of Barnacle Bay)? It's real good. It reminds me of those Invisible Ink game books of my youth--I've got a pencil, a fistful of dice, and I'm keeping myself amused.

I've named by Bathysphere the Lucky 38 because I managed to get all the octopodes on my latest dive.

Mystic Mongol fucked around with this message at 04:47 on May 12, 2020

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Does anyone have a good Steampunk Rally / Fusion video they could recommend?

Thinking of backing the Kickstarter

nessin
Feb 7, 2010
So I went a bit crazy on buying boardgames, unfortunately spending more on games I wanted to play over games I thought I could get my family to play. I need to either suck it up and try playing online or stare at boardgame boxes of games I'm not going to play for months, if ever. I decided to start sucking it up and was digging through places to find games online for today. However I'd have thought there'd be some sort of place to setup to find people for scheduled games ahead of time that wasn't so haphazard (such as just posting on a forum or dropping a comment in a discord channel and hoping for the best). Especially for maybe lesser played games?

Honestly kind of surprised BGG didn't just have a community page where you'd just submit X games, looking for Y players, on Z day in a spreadsheet style setup with a button you could just press to sign up to. Or maybe it exists and I just didn't find it/am blind.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.
I’ve yet to teach modern art in a way that doesn’t result in most of the table overpaying and the players who never buy running away with it.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

$160 was the highest I've seen for a single painting. It was insanity.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Papes posted:

I’ve yet to teach modern art in a way that doesn’t result in most of the table overpaying and the players who never buy running away with it.

Even amongst players who’ve played before? Madness. I want auction games to come back en vogue again but I know most gamers only play a game once so it’ll be worthless anyway.

Woodstock
Sep 28, 2005
I'm trying to run a Root group with friends but here we are quarantined.

So I had a solo trial run with Tabletop Simulator. It was surprisingly easy to understand with the tutorial!

Notably I was going in blind, so I actually learned the game while learning TTS. The add-on is really well done.

I definitely recommend using a mouse.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Anyone have good reccomendations for good mystery/puzzle-solving games for two players? Are those EXIT escape room games actually any good?

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Anyone have good reccomendations for good mystery/puzzle-solving games for two players? Are those EXIT escape room games actually any good?

I think Consulting Detective, specifically the Thames Murders box, is probably still the gold standard for the genre? It's a hard type of game to get just right.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

This requires a bit more work for both parties, but Cthulhu Confidential may fit the bill: https://www.bundleofholding.com/presents/Confidential

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

While that does look cool, I'm looking for something more cooperative.

Completely forgot about Consulting Detective! I know they are highly praised.

Free Gratis
Apr 17, 2002

Karate Jazz Wolf

I did the Exit: Forgotten Island with three of my friends and I thought it was alright. It's only good for one playthrough but it wasn't a bad way to spend an evening.

UrbanLabyrinth
Jan 28, 2009

When my eyes were stabbed by the flash of a neon light
That split the night
And touched the sound of silence

College Slice
I prefered the Unlock! series to the EXIT ones.

John Dyne
Jul 3, 2005

Well, fuck. Really?

The EXIT games are all one shots, because you pretty well HAVE to cut, tear, and fold parts of the game to actually solve the puzzles. I don't really like how everything is basically a deck of cards and a reference book and that's really it; the Unlock games are a little better since they're app based and can get a little more inventive that way, and they can be replayed or given away without much concern.

I found the EXIT games padded themselves out by being obtuse, whereas the Unlock games generally had better puzzles and flow to them, and typically better themes and stories.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I played one Unlock game and surprised myself by how much I enjoyed it. Card based with an app, no destruction.

For a different take on coop deduction, you could look into Shipwreck Arcana. It is more logic based, and it isn't perfect, but it has been a big hit with everyone.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOzur_XeMBQ
https://www.daysofwonder.com/small-world-of-warcraft/en/

Noice

I was telling my mate about it on the weekend while we were playing Small World and it looks like it's coming soon.
It's been in development since Blizzcon last year.

I'm a slut for WoW so this is an instant pickup for me. The island design looks neat as well.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Infinitum posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOzur_XeMBQ
https://www.daysofwonder.com/small-world-of-warcraft/en/

Noice

I was telling my mate about it on the weekend while we were playing Small World and it looks like it's coming soon.
It's been in development since Blizzcon last year.

I'm a slut for WoW so this is an instant pickup for me. The island design looks neat as well.

Small World was one of my entry points into modern board games. Looks really attractive, easy to learn and teach, a bit of strategy and tactics as you "price" the game's people/descriptor combos and try to force your opponents to put their people into decline suboptimally. Now, I would rather spend an equivalent amount of time in a featureless white room (as long as there is a chair or mattress) than play it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Who hurt you forum poster homullus?

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

homullus posted:

Small World was one of my entry points into modern board games. Looks really attractive, easy to learn and teach, a bit of strategy and tactics as you "price" the game's people/descriptor combos and try to force your opponents to put their people into decline suboptimally. Now, I would rather spend an equivalent amount of time in a featureless white room (as long as there is a chair or mattress) than play it.

I feel the same way, but I haven't tried the new versions and I wonder if they've improved things. It just needs a little more depth or to be sped up just a bit. Either one and I think I'd love it. It sounds like they've changed things a little but I don't know if it's enough.

It looks so drat cool though.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Who hurt you forum poster homullus?

I wasn't trying to draw a super negative comparison. I'm one of those people who isn't maddened by having to listen to my own thoughts for more than a couple minutes -- I don't need a constant stream of text or music to be entertained. Spending Small World's game time while awake in an empty room would never be my top choice for fun, but it would be ok! And it would be better than actually playing Small World, Tokaido, TIME Stories, Smash Up, Dead of Winter, et cetera during that time.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Wow you've got two games I strongly dislike and then three I've never played in that list. Thinking I should keep not playing them.

Dead of Winter and Small World though, never again.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Both of those games are perfectly fine games for a more casual experience with friends imo. I'll play Dead of Winter with my mom and sister :shrug:

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Has anyone played Vinci, the game that got turned into Smallworld?

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:
Tokaido's alright if you get the expansion that turns it into an actual game. At least, it's chill and simple enough to engage casual players and doesn't overstay its welcome.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I'll second that Root on TTS is good and easy to play. I've done a few games there now.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Speaking of TTS, is there a good list/resource for Good Games on TTS so I don't have to paw through seven versions of Life and Yahtzee?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Eraflure posted:

Both of those games are perfectly fine games for a more casual experience with friends imo. I'll play Dead of Winter with my mom and sister :shrug:

I would rather not play a game than play either of them. There's plenty of good games that are fine for that audience in my opinion!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene
Small World definitely was my entry point the hobby and I thought it was the best thing ever when I first tried it so I can kinda respect and apppreciate it even though I'd usually rather play something else nowadays.

Dead of Winter on the other hand.......