Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

iStat Menus for calendar, weather, customizable clock, battery status, system temperatures/frequencies/fan speeds, network traffic, etc in the menu bar

Bartender to customize your menu bar (and hide lesser-used menubar items in a secondary menu)

Stay if you use multiple monitors and want things to arrange themselves properly

Rocket if you like emoji

Transmit for SFTP/S3/any kind of file transfer

IINA is an MPV based video player that I like more than VLC

Fluor to automatically switch between Fn keys and F-keys based on what app you're in (if you use RDP or IDEs with F-keys bound etc)

iTerm 2 if you use the terminal at all

Little Snitch for a customizable firewall

We are taking the Hardware thread to new heights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

This is a shame, but it's really nothing to do with right to repair.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Shaocaholica posted:

Craigslist asking prices for MBPs are ridiculous. Are people really paying $900 for a 2014? I'm I so out of touch? No its the children who are wrong.

As $1K appears to be the market rate for a 2015 15" MBP, I will agree with you. It made more sense 2-3 years ago when Intel was still shoving 2C/4T and 4C/8T parts into 13 and 15 inch laptops respectively, and the keyboard fiasco didn't have an end in sight. But the performance envelope is significantly higher today, and the bad keyboards are no more.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Yeah great, it should be possible for anyone to turn off all anti-theft measures and make the device usable for just anyone because if you're a "refurbisher" then it's okay. Right to repair!!!!!!!!!!!!! Simply making provisions to check whether people who sold their computers also removed their holds on them is too much to ask.

What might make sense is to allow for unlocking a machine remotely after it's been sold and both sides register with Apple, but who knows what security issues that might create.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
I am curious as to the providence of all these locked machines where they have no contact with the previous owner. Someone who buys these off companies would just offer $0 for locked machines so why is there a dude who keeps getting locked machines without original owner access. :robble:

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Shaocaholica posted:

Craigslist MBP for a friend who just broke theirs. 1256 cycles!

I had like 600+ cycles in 3 years (before i had applecare replace the battery) from my development 2015 15" macbook pro. that doesnt seem that bad

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS
If it’s activation locked or under the original company’s registration still, it’s effectively indistinguishable from a stolen machine. What would they expect Apple to do about that, just take their word for it?
Even that website that let you check for activation lock got abused by hackers so that’s not a solid answer either.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
TBH if they are butterfly keyboard MacBooks they’re better off in Mac heaven anyway.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah like the activation lock is incredibly helpful for the end user Incase of loss or theft.

I could really care less about these dudes trying to refurb these “totally not stolen” Macs.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

completely trashing the market for stolen laptops seems like the process is working 100% as designed

sorry pawn shops i guess

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
Soldering stuff like the hard drive straight to the motherboard sucks but lmao at that entire article complaining about the evil T2 chip adversely effecting poor refurbishers and recyclers because the person who donated it didn't follow proper procedure.

Also I understand that with everything locked down the motherboard and everything contained on it becomes essentially useless but reducing the "value" of a bricked MacBook to $12 of scap metal seems a bit disingenuous.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
I like how they bring up DEP enrolled devices, yes I'm sure this two year old company enrolled MacBook has definitely not been swiped from work at all. Y'know because if they wanted you to have a an ex-company Mac surely they would've remote wiped it and removed it from their dep.

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Ok Comboomer posted:

Steam, mainly so you can install poo poo like Return of the Obra Dinn and Thimbleweed Park and classic LucasArts games without paying Mac App Store prices. Never buy software from the Mac App Store if you can help it.

Also- the GOG Galaxy client for MacOS is annoying. Idk how it is for Windows but it always runs at startup even though I’ve changed that Preferences setting like five times.

Counterpoint: the Steam client is loving awful garbage, you are forced to interact with it every time you run a game, and Valve doesn't give a poo poo. It's been broken forever and they never fix it because Steam prints money for them regardless of whether they care.

I will actually pay extra for a game through the MAS over steam if given the option, that's how much I hate running Steam. It constantly ramps my MBP's fans up to max, because it's some horrible bottled webapp, not a real app, and their buggy JS (or whatever) just loving loves to go into a state where it busyloops and eats 100% of a CPU for no reason. It's also taking a solid 30 seconds plus just to launch the Steam client right now, which is super cool.

badjohny
Oct 6, 2005

So I bought my new MacBook Pro two months before the new 16inch one came out. What are the best options to sell this? I don't mind it to much, but I type a ton and the keyboard is not great for that. Apple dosn't do trade-ins do they?

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

badjohny posted:

So I bought my new MacBook Pro two months before the new 16inch one came out. What are the best options to sell this? I don't mind it to much, but I type a ton and the keyboard is not great for that. Apple dosn't do trade-ins do they?

They do have a trade-in program, https://www.apple.com/shop/trade-in

You could also try to sell on Swappa, SA-Mart, or r/appleswap. I always use eBay as a last resort because the fees are killer.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

badjohny posted:

Yep! They do. It’s on their website, but you might not get what you want for it. You will, however, benefit from the immediate turnover and relatively painless experience as opposed to selling it yourself.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Thank you everyone for the app suggestions and tips, I'll check them all out! Is Apple still doing the free year subscription for Apple TV?

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

EmmyOk posted:

Thank you everyone for the app suggestions and tips, I'll check them all out! Is Apple still doing the free year subscription for Apple TV?

Probably. I dunno anybody who’s watched any of those shows tho.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

iPad + Mac Mini

https://lunadisplay.com/pages/headless-mode

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Why?

eames
May 9, 2009

because it is mobile, saves you $700 for the wheels

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

screamin and creamin posted:

Yeah great, it should be possible for anyone to turn off all anti-theft measures and make the device usable for just anyone because if you're a "refurbisher" then it's okay. Right to repair!!!!!!!!!!!!! Simply making provisions to check whether people who sold their computers also removed their holds on them is too much to ask.

What might make sense is to allow for unlocking a machine remotely after it's been sold and both sides register with Apple, but who knows what security issues that might create.

MrBond posted:

If it’s activation locked or under the original company’s registration still, it’s effectively indistinguishable from a stolen machine. What would they expect Apple to do about that, just take their word for it?
Even that website that let you check for activation lock got abused by hackers so that’s not a solid answer either.

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah like the activation lock is incredibly helpful for the end user Incase of loss or theft.

I could really care less about these dudes trying to refurb these “totally not stolen” Macs.

Fallom posted:

completely trashing the market for stolen laptops seems like the process is working 100% as designed

sorry pawn shops i guess
there is a guy in my town who donates laptops to haiti, your average grandma giving away her 4 year old laptop may not know the password. refusing to let machines be wiped makes apple assholes, and defending this policy is insanity, if not for the effect it has on nonprofits, for the horrible impact it has for the environment. what I am hearing here is that apple fans would effectively rather throw a perfectly great laptop in the trash than let a recycler or poor person have it.

Pivo
Aug 20, 2004

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

what I am hearing here is that apple fans would effectively rather throw a perfectly great laptop in the trash than let a recycler or poor person have it.

Not all Apple fans, just dumb goons.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

it’s true, I would drat all the orphans in Haiti over a grandma forgetting her password

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
It kind of reminds me of the recent blowup over Sonos, except the difference there is, Sonos was poo poo because following the recommended guidelines for offloading your device led to it being bricked, while with Apple, not following the recommended advice will get it bricked. It's maybe a little suboptimal that Apple don't offer a way to obtain permission from the owner after the fact (I don't know I've only been on the case for four minutes but this seems to me to be the same process as a "someone's trying to change your password" email) but ultimately you can't really blame Apple for offering people some good locks and then people selling their laptops with the locks still on.

And I presume a store would refuse to take an Apple laptop that's locked anyway?

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
If you can prove ownership, they will unlock stuff for you. At least with iOS devices IME.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory
Best Buy is selling the base 16" MBP for $200 off if you're a My Best Buy rewards member. $2199 makes it pretty tempting.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

there is a guy in my town who donates laptops to haiti, your average grandma giving away her 4 year old laptop may not know the password. refusing to let machines be wiped makes apple assholes, and defending this policy is insanity, if not for the effect it has on nonprofits, for the horrible impact it has for the environment. what I am hearing here is that apple fans would effectively rather throw a perfectly great laptop in the trash than let a recycler or poor person have it.
Uhh Apple can and will unlock them dude. It's an added layer of security, not a plot to starve the children of Haiti.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

BobHoward posted:

Counterpoint: the Steam client is loving awful garbage, you are forced to interact with it every time you run a game, and Valve doesn't give a poo poo. It's been broken forever and they never fix it because Steam prints money for them regardless of whether they care.

I will actually pay extra for a game through the MAS over steam if given the option, that's how much I hate running Steam. It constantly ramps my MBP's fans up to max, because it's some horrible bottled webapp, not a real app, and their buggy JS (or whatever) just loving loves to go into a state where it busyloops and eats 100% of a CPU for no reason. It's also taking a solid 30 seconds plus just to launch the Steam client right now, which is super cool.

You should probably uninstall and reinstall Steam because I've never had any of these problems. In fact, my experience with Steam on my late 2013 Macbook Pro has been surprisingly flawless and I've never had any noticeable issues. The only problem I had was slight weirdness when I upgraded to Mojave and Apple considered it an "outdated" app, which was fixed by reinstalling Steam.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Now someone 3d-print an articulating arm and bring back the iMac G4 style.

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

You should probably uninstall and reinstall Steam because I've never had any of these problems. In fact, my experience with Steam on my late 2013 Macbook Pro has been surprisingly flawless and I've never had any noticeable issues. The only problem I had was slight weirdness when I upgraded to Mojave and Apple considered it an "outdated" app, which was fixed by reinstalling Steam.

I've had all of these issues, including the 'outdated' thing you had. It also likes to ask for my password every time I launch it, no matter how many times I click the save password checkbox. I suspect that is an account security thing (I don't run Steam all that often, maybe the save password times out?) but I wish there were some options for it because I could not tell you how little I'd care if someone accessed my Steam account and....

Played Civ 5 without me? poo poo doesn't need to be under doesn't super triple secret lock and key.

I'm sad I have to launch that bloated web browser of an application just to eat up some resources and get the fan going before trying to game on a MBP which is admittedly not designed for it.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

TheWevel posted:

Best Buy is selling the base 16" MBP for $200 off if you're a My Best Buy rewards member. $2199 makes it pretty tempting.

Amazon/B&H/Adorama usually have them for that price. Google Shopping has had them as low as $1980 recently.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

I've had all of these issues, including the 'outdated' thing you had. It also likes to ask for my password every time I launch it, no matter how many times I click the save password checkbox. I suspect that is an account security thing (I don't run Steam all that often, maybe the save password times out?) but I wish there were some options for it because I could not tell you how little I'd care if someone accessed my Steam account and....

Played Civ 5 without me? poo poo doesn't need to be under doesn't super triple secret lock and key.

I'm sad I have to launch that bloated web browser of an application just to eat up some resources and get the fan going before trying to game on a MBP which is admittedly not designed for it.

it's an storefront that stores payment information so it kinda does need to be under lock and key

Pakistani Brad Pitt
Nov 28, 2004

Not as taciturn, but still terribly powerful...

Weedle posted:

it's an storefront that stores payment information so it kinda does need to be under lock and key

Perhaps then they could challenge me for the lock and key at the time of clicking 'Purchase', while letting me browse the store & launch games without hassle, ala the iOS App Store which is a much better experience.

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

Pakistani Brad Pitt posted:

Yeah, I think it's just you. Steam never asks me for my password upon launch and has ordinarily auto-logged in since the day I got my MBP 6 years ago. The only time I ever need to put in username/password is when I'm buying games, though it never prompts me for registering a new game through key. Just checked Activity Monitor and Steam processes are using very little CPU/RAM and there's zero fan noise from the client running on my laptop right now. :shrug:

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
The only thing that sucks about Steam on macOS is that it took them like 12 years to update their client to support retina displays so for the longest time everything looked like pixelated trash but afaik they fixed that a few years ago so now it's just regular Steam (still bad but it lets me play my games).

vs Dinosaurs
Mar 14, 2009
I know this was discussed a couple pages back but the USB-C doc and multi-display support is abhorrent. I’ve tried two different docks from Dell and HP and neither consistently displays on both monitors once I close my laptop. I’ve tried every combination of port and cable arrangement possible, same results.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

American McGay posted:

Uhh Apple can and will unlock them dude. It's an added layer of security, not a plot to starve the children of Haiti.
apple isnt going to unlock some rando's laptop you bring in, that would defeat the whole purpose of T2

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
"I swear I bought it from Kevin (a real person). I paid him real cash and he gave me this hand written receipt. We only exchanged emails through craigslist and I don't know how to contact him now."

"Sir, the MacBook disposal slot is over there. Don't forget to collect your $12 Apple voucher."

*Metal and glass grinding sounds*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo

apple isnt going to unlock some rando's laptop you bring in, that would defeat the whole purpose of T2
Correct, which is why if you're running a laptop donation organization it might be a good idea to get proper verification of transfer of ownership. Hell they should be doing this already if the donations are tax deductible.