Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
the battery in my 2014 macbook pro is expanding again after being replaced (along with the top case but they didnt make me pay for that) two years ago

maybe its the quarantine brain but i could swear its getting so hosed up i can see a bit of a bend just looking at the outside of the case. the trackpad is flush with the case

if i never post again send the police in case it blew up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

did steve have worms??

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

echinopsis posted:

esc should just pause the computer

yes

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

poty posted:

the battery in my 2014 macbook pro is expanding again after being replaced (along with the top case but they didnt make me pay for that) two years ago

maybe its the quarantine brain but i could swear its getting so hosed up i can see a bit of a bend just looking at the outside of the case. the trackpad is flush with the case

if i never post again send the police in case it blew up
crack it open?

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

akadajet posted:

did steve have worms??

no he had cancer

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

iirc my old mbp rev a could limp along sans battery, so at worst itll have to be run at a lower clock. something about laptops and if they draw too hard they lean on the battery, but that could have been a flaw in a very flawed model

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

i do sorta miss that laptop, it was a real workhorse and the matte screen was so nice

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

god damnit i miss the matte screen so badde

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
1500 grit sandpaper

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
yospos loves matte screens and catte fiends

pram
Jun 10, 2001
glass screen with pro-glare coating imo

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

god damnit i miss the matte screen so badde

keep your monitor on then :xd:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

pram posted:

glass screen with pro-glare coating imo

quartz screen only

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

i wish

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
sapphire screen

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

didn't Apple brutally murder that company?

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Jenny Agutter posted:

didn't Apple brutally murder that company?

they murdered themselves by overpromising what they could do and not delivering

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
"what happened to GT Advanced Technologies? Do you kill them too?"

Tim didn't reply right away. He pulled on his cigarette, staring off at the horizon visible through the wall-to-ceiling windows. My words hung in the air, trapped in the air-tight glass pod of his office.

At length, Tim spoke.

The Management posted:

they murdered themselves by overpromising what they could do and not delivering

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

i mean it's true. that's what happened

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

Always a big lol at this image

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

whats goin on there m8

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
apple hired a company that couldn't make glass to make the glass for some of their stuff.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

isnt making sapphire glass just really inherently hard which is why it's so expensive even for, say, a watch dial

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.
it's not "glass" as much as it is "single-boule sapphire crystal" and yes it is really really hard. there is a reason you don't find gigantic sapphires just floating around in nature

honestly i admire the company more for being able to convince a company of apple's size that they'd just happened to solve a whole ton of fundamental materials science problems and were ready for mass production despite apparently being totally unable to do what they claimed

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Archduke Frantz Fanon posted:

Always a big lol at this image

what's the scale there?

Archduke Frantz Fanon
Sep 7, 2004

just hundreds of people endlessly sweeping the floor while giant sapphires explode around them

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Jenny Agutter posted:

what's the scale there?

this gives a wider angle for comparison

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

holy poo poo!

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
my dad finally filled up his iphone 5's 12gb of available storage, thank you timb for releasing the SE2 just in time

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Jenny Agutter posted:

holy poo poo!

sapphire is literally just aluminum oxide and aluminum and oxygen are the third-most and most abundant elements in the earth's crust, respectively. corundum is chemically almost identical and you can buy it in 50 pound sacks as grinding dust. sapphire is only precious for historical reasons.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
it's also shiny

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

so now that apple has a workstation that makes sense again and fixed the portable keyboards
how long until the macbook macbook dies again, it's the next thing to fix.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Sagebrush posted:

sapphire is only precious for historical reasons.
also some of them are sparkly and look pretty

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

sapphire is literally just aluminum oxide and aluminum and oxygen are the third-most and most abundant elements in the earth's crust, respectively. corundum is chemically almost identical and you can buy it in 50 pound sacks as grinding dust. sapphire is only precious for historical reasons.

nice facts nerd, those are still huge fuckin sapphires. I would gladly take one of the cracked ones to use as a decoration

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

SRQ posted:

so now that apple has a workstation that makes sense again and fixed the portable keyboards
how long until the macbook macbook dies again, it's the next thing to fix.

the what?

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
their whole laptop line feels like some product managers in a slap fight

SRQ
Nov 9, 2009

the not-pro not-air macbook.

the one that overlaps the base 13 and air for cost and features and is slower than either.

oddly premium price without performance that kinda had a reason to exist (the screen) and now doesn't because the air is retina.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

It is true that tim can only classify people as pros, or as though they were merely air. Anything in between is untenable

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

SRQ posted:

the not-pro not-air macbook.

the one that overlaps the base 13 and air for cost and features and is slower than either.

oddly premium price without performance that kinda had a reason to exist (the screen) and now doesn't because the air is retina.

sounds like a good candidate for an arm cpu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Sagebrush posted:

large sapphire crystals like Apple was trying to make are precious because they are impossible to manufacture at scale.