Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
I've gone whole COIN games without rolling a die :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

Here's a random thought: make another Afghanistan COIN but this time it takes place from 1980 to 1989.

the game plays the exact same, the only thing thats different is the names

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I wish there was a COIN game more in the spirit of Silver Bayonet than the COIN system onslaught

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

HerraS posted:

Here's a random thought: make another Afghanistan COIN but this time it takes place from 1980 to 1989.

To be fair that one would be meaningfully different because instead of placing populations on the map you would be taking them off.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

HerraS posted:

I looked into this a little. One major issue is that the Soviets (and DRA) did very little counterinsurgency. They made no real attempt to win support from rural populations and as a result the mujahideen could count on any random village to be sympathetic to their cause.

e: By 1985 there was a tacit agreement that local villages wouldn't allow mortar or sniper attacks on the army and in return the Soviets wouldn't shell the villages. It was "not great" as far as winning the war went, though America hasn't fared a hell of a lot better.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 01:22 on May 12, 2020

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

One more pocket game before I get to the big stuff.

Race for Manilla covers the Japanese invasion of the Luzon, and the withdrawal to Corregidor. This game is related to A Step To Victory, but has a few more twists on the same 4 pages of rules; there's an infiltration move to get through enemy ZOCs, Manilla can be declared an Open City which adds an MP to allied units, no stacking, and each player secretly chooses an objective before the game which influences VP gain. Again, it's at least $11 worth of wargame.

The map is a little larger this time,

And there are only 30 counters this time, should play out very fluidly given the low density.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
Those are pretty neat! I loved all the microgames too. Chitin was my personal fave.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HerraS posted:

COIN: Legacy

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

AARP LARPer posted:

Those are pretty neat! I loved all the microgames too. Chitin was my personal fave.

Ice War and Black Hole were faves. I'm glad to see someone keeping the format alive.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

COIN but

Faction 1: Velociraptors - green tetrahedrons.
Faction 2: Police - fat blue cubes.
Faction 3: General Public & the Superman - cylinders.
Faction 4: Godzilla - Gandhi's cylinder.

NP factions: food delivery, the Germans.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

AARP LARPer posted:

I played Race For Manilla solo today. I chose the strategy for each side randomly, then played to that. It wound up as a narrow IJA victory, 7-5 by points. Since each side has three (secret) choices for how they will gain VP, there's a lot of replay in a small package. Game time does work out to about an hour. The BoardgameGeek forums have an updated rules PDF, which I recommend. As originally translated, the ZOC rules are confusing in some important cases.

There's also a VASSAL module, if someone wants to grab the PDF and game module, hit me up for a quick game.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Decided to take the plunge into weird new napoleon games.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

Time to party (short intro scenario)

So I finally digested all the rules (well, minus the naval stuff, since there's practically no naval action in this scenario) and played through a turn of WIF. It's so good. I love this system.

Belgium and the Netherlands fell quickly. Due to the surprise impulse, the Luftwaffe got to run rough shod all over the low lands, disorganizing all of their land units (giving the Germans a bonus in combat). The French managed a small breakthrough along the Maginot Line, but that was quickly plugged. Gort's HQ unit was caught unawares in a daft race to the sea, and was destroyed - a devastating loss considering how important HQs are in this game. I'm not using any special optional rules, but even still, HQs can reorganize disorganized nearby units, so the British are really going to feel the pain of that one. The 3rd/4th impulses of this turn were stormy, which meant no air action, decreased MPs, and decreased combat odds. The next impulse after that, the turn ended early due to a lucky end-of-turn roll. That was lucky for the Allies, but even still, things are going poorly for them.

4 more turns to go. This short scenario is basically just a race to Paris within 5 turns, and it's really good for learning the basics of land/air action. The next intro scenario is Barbarossa. I'm looking forward to that.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal

COOL CORN posted:

So I finally digested all the rules (well, minus the naval stuff, since there's practically no naval action in this scenario) and played through a turn of WIF. It's so good. I love this system.

Belgium and the Netherlands fell quickly. Due to the surprise impulse, the Luftwaffe got to run rough shod all over the low lands, disorganizing all of their land units (giving the Germans a bonus in combat). The French managed a small breakthrough along the Maginot Line, but that was quickly plugged. Gort's HQ unit was caught unawares in a daft race to the sea, and was destroyed - a devastating loss considering how important HQs are in this game. I'm not using any special optional rules, but even still, HQs can reorganize disorganized nearby units, so the British are really going to feel the pain of that one. The 3rd/4th impulses of this turn were stormy, which meant no air action, decreased MPs, and decreased combat odds. The next impulse after that, the turn ended early due to a lucky end-of-turn roll. That was lucky for the Allies, but even still, things are going poorly for them.

4 more turns to go. This short scenario is basically just a race to Paris within 5 turns, and it's really good for learning the basics of land/air action. The next intro scenario is Barbarossa. I'm looking forward to that.

Ugh that looks super nice. I super do not need a $250 box of cardboard to stare wistfully at though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
So i think i have like 5000 asl scenarios and im sure like half are doubles somehow but i want to play through them all COOL CORN help me

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

So i think i have like 5000 asl scenarios and im sure like half are doubles somehow but i want to play through them all COOL CORN help me

Every time COOL CORN has a combat in the Barbarossa scenario you two will play a subgame of ASL. Don't forget to research which scenario(s) will fit each battle.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.
I am talking to a few people about the changes to World In Flames from when I first bought it (when it first came out) to the present. One of the things that has changed the most is that France actually has a chance to stave off collapse and I think it's neat given that supposedly, the German army wasn't going to be ready until around 1943 so the historical success of 1939-1941 are the result of wildly successful roles by the Germans and poor dice rolling by the Allies. In the original game, France was just a speedbump to the coast and there was slight benefit to setting up a Vichy government as there would be plenty of time to leisurely move forces east for the assault on Russia.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord
That brings up a question about WiF that I may not be able to phrase properly, but I’m wondering where it sits on the Strict Historical Events vs Pure Sandbox spectrum.

Yes, many events will play out the same due to geography, force composition, etc., but I’m wondering if it allows for significant deviation from historic events. Not that I’d want to do that, but I like to know that I could, if I wanted to. I really enjoy games that are designed to allow for significant deviation like that.

AARP LARPer fucked around with this message at 19:25 on May 17, 2020

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

rchandra posted:

Every time COOL CORN has a combat in the Barbarossa scenario you two will play a subgame of ASL. Don't forget to research which scenario(s) will fit each battle.

I mean.... clearly what needs to happen is each TK battle is played out in OCS.... and each OCS combat is played out in ASL.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

AARP LARPer posted:

That brings up a question about WiF that I may not be able to phrase properly, but I’m wondering where it sits on the Strict Historical Events vs Pure Sandbox spectrum.

Yes, many events will play out the same due to geography, force composition, etc., but I’m wondering if it allows for significant deviation from historic events. Not that I’d want to do that, but I like to know that I could, if I wanted to. I really enjoy games that are designed to allow for significant deviation like that.

I asked "what was the most improbable things you've seen in a game" and got a few good responses (I don't think they'll mind)

"A friend of mine (who shall remain nameless) worked diligently to get CV Graf Zeppelin over to the Pacific just so he could ask the question "Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?""

"He also managed to get German jet fighters into action in 1942, in what was probably the best game of WiF I've played."

"In our current game my Japanese allied Conquered Greece, aligned Yugoslavia and attacked atlantic shipping from Spain with his submarines.""

And someone posted an image of the Germans invading America.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Yeah, there are a few set things that you can put into motion (a la forming Vichy france, certain countries being more inclined toward one side or the other (Rumania/Bulgaria are inclined toward the Axis), etc.) but generally speaking it's fairly railroad-free. The world is set up as it was in 1939, with all the trade agreements and alliances as they were at the time, but what happens after that is pretty open.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

You make WiF sound more unhinged than Cataclysm.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

Want unhinged? There is a way to link ADG's WWI and post-WWII games with WiF to game the 20th century. You get stuff like WWII starting with Poland as German allies.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

COOL CORN posted:

Yeah, there are a few set things that you can put into motion (a la forming Vichy france, certain countries being more inclined toward one side or the other (Rumania/Bulgaria are inclined toward the Axis), etc.) but generally speaking it's fairly railroad-free. The world is set up as it was in 1939, with all the trade agreements and alliances as they were at the time, but what happens after that is pretty open.

Nice! Also want to say thanks for posting your set-ups over the years. I’ve always enjoyed looking at these games in action.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
And speak of the devil, here's how this scenario ended up,about halfway through turn 2. France doesn't technically end as soon as Paris is captured (there's more to it, and it doesn't even happen until the end of the turn anyway), but this particular scenario ends when Paris is controlled by the Germans.

I think the allies' downfall was I just didn't know what to do with the British. They could have shipped over units, flown over units, sent ships down to do shore bombardment, etc, but I wasn't really sure what I was doing. The allies need a good player, but it's definitely possible to hold out. The Germans lost a lot of units, but the northern shore corridor was just too unguarded.

Next up in the 1-map scenarios is Barbarossa! Then Guadalcanal!

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

BARBAROSSA BAY BEEEEE

(those units in the black sea are reserves that will come out on turn one)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

What could GMT be teasing with?
"A new edition of one of our sold out "monster" WWII games"

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

SelenicMartian posted:

What could GMT be teasing with?
"A new edition of one of our sold out "monster" WWII games"

The chatter through the grapevine is it's a reprint of Battle for Normandy.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
On the subject of Afghanistan, have anyone here played Pax Pamir? I would love to try it.

E: for the uninitiated, the dude who designed Root( Cole Wehrle) made an 1800s Aghanistan simulator, where the players represent clans trying to dodge or use the influence of the various empires interested in it, and it looks like it owns

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

COOL CORN posted:

The chatter through the grapevine is it's a reprint of Battle for Normandy.

It's almost confirmed that it's a Battle for Normandy 2nd edition, which is madness becuase the guy hasn't even delivered Battle for Sicily yet, despite it being o nthe P500 list for, what, the last decade or so?

It's a system I'm genuinely not a huge fan of. The allies have to count supply, despite the fact that hey have oodles of it coming in from the sea, while the Germans don't, because their offensive ability is restricted anyway? Lol.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Tias posted:

On the subject of Afghanistan, have anyone here played Pax Pamir? I would love to try it.

E: for the uninitiated, the dude who designed Root( Cole Wehrle) made an 1800s Aghanistan simulator, where the players represent clans trying to dodge or use the influence of the various empires interested in it, and it looks like it owns

Pax Pamir is extremely popular around here. Even has a nickname, "Pax Rug". It's one of my all-time favorites and among the prettiest games I own. The other games in the Pax series are designed by Libertarian weirdo Phil Eklund (one is designed by his son). They're of varying quality, but all more complicated and random than Pamir.

Cole's other big designs are John Company, which is about the British East India Company, and An Infamous Traffic, which is about profiting off of the Opium Wars. Both have fans but are more fragile games.

Tias
May 25, 2008

So far so good, but how do I get a copy?

Some loving scalper on ebay is the only one I can see, and they want 180 dollars

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

I was just looking into that, and they're running a preorder on a second edition.

https://pax-pamir-reprint.backerkit.com/hosted_preorders

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Are the Pax games wargames?

Huskalator
Mar 17, 2009

Proud fascist
anti-anti-fascist

COOL CORN posted:

Yes
Pax Pamir
Pax Porfiriana

If you squint hard enough
Pax Renaissance

Not at all
Pax Transhumanity
Pax Emancipation

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

COOL CORN posted:

look what you made me do

Tias
May 25, 2008

I -just- discovered the pizza and sandwhich charts earlier today, and then I logged on to see this. Will you marry me?

Obfuscation
Jan 1, 2008
Good luck to you, I know you believe in hell

COOL CORN posted:

No, they are peacegames, duh

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Obfuscation posted:

No, they are peacegames, duh
:golfclap:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Is No Retreat: Russian F fun/heavy? How bad are turn length/down time?