Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

fadam posted:

I never really understood gambling addiction and how people could continue to throw their lives away time and time again until I started playing Winota in standard. It's simultaneously the most miserable and most fun deck I've ever played.

If you are bad enough at magic any deck can work like this!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

interrodactyl
Nov 8, 2011

you have no dignity
So I ignored MTG for a few sets and now I come back and every top eternal format deck is using Lurrus? Do people think it'll get banned?

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

interrodactyl posted:

So I ignored MTG for a few sets and now I come back and every top eternal format deck is using Lurrus? Do people think it'll get banned?

yes, and yes.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

interrodactyl posted:

It will get banned. Generally they try to let sales go on as long as possible before they pull the trigger. Its much more complicated now because the product isnt even out on paper yet and shipping this product out with the chase companions banned would not be good for the bottom line.

I would love to be wrong.

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/wizards_magic/status/1259997359179616256?s=21

Vintage ban incoming

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

Watch them restrict lurrus and call it a day :laffo:

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy

Bust Rodd posted:

its ok, they are printing a free negate and a free misdirection into these upcoming precons, and those will be $40 and $20 cards by the end of the year (even though they only work in Commander), and Arcane Signet hasn't been printed enough that it won't climb back up to $6+, so a couple of these will hold value. I'm def grabbing the Jeskai one

Same. The commanders in it are cool too. Rest of the decks are pretty lame though imo.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Could they restrict him plus ban him as a companion?

Also, Brawl has to be Drannith Magistrate.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Yawgmoth posted:

I meant a real reprint, not in Duel Decks: Idiots vs Morons

I laughed way too hard at this

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways

Huxley posted:

I don't see why they couldn't. I don't think they will because it would be functional errata though.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Huxley posted:

Man, I would love for them to create a companion ban precedent, forcing the commander council to sheepishly change Lutri's banning.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

fadam posted:

I never really understood gambling addiction and how people could continue to throw their lives away time and time again until I started playing Winota in standard. It's simultaneously the most miserable and most fun deck I've ever played.

At least Winota actually establishes board presence on turns 2-3 so you're still doing something if you can't start your combo or it fizzles

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Eej posted:

At least Winota actually establishes board presence on turns 2-3 so you're still doing something if you can't start your combo or it fizzles

Or you can cast raise the alarm on your opponent's end step and get two winota triggers on turn 4 with protection from any sorcery speed interaction.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's still so funny to me that winota digs SIX cards into your deck per trigger. They really liked agent over at R&D.

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Card probably wouldn't be playable at less than 6 and likely isn't going to be playable after Agent rotates out.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
They couldn’t just ban companion, they can’t just ban a mechanic outright. Of all the suggestions being bandied “ban companion” seems like the least likely.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
are standard companions that bad that a blanket ban is even entering the conversation?

e:some reason i thought your post was regarding standard specifically, rodd

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

Rinkles posted:

are standard companions that bad that a blanket ban is even entering the conversation?

Yorion is pretty oppressive from what i've gathered

e: wait what do you mean by "standard" companions?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Look Around You posted:

Yorion is pretty oppressive from what i've gathered

e: wait what do you mean by "standard" companions?

meant companions in standard, because for some reason that's what i assumed bust rodd was talking about

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

Rinkles posted:

e:some reason i thought your post was regarding standard specifically, rodd

People started talking about blanket banning companions before they even got to play with them. They're not going to be blanket banned, the only one that comes at all close in Standard is Yorion, but I think the meta is still evolving and it doesn't need to be.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

fadam posted:

Card probably wouldn't be playable at less than 6 and likely isn't going to be playable after Agent rotates out.

Kenrith is a pretty good draw and kinda fair

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Yorion turned out to be the strongest one in standard but after it's banned the next best ones will dominate.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Yeah, at least for standard they're going to have to eventually ban all companions and admit they made a big mistake, or not ban them and hope it turns out alright in the next year or so while they're still legal.

In more powerful formats they are going to have to address companions sooner or later, since having a companion is typically a huge advantage over those who don't.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

LeafHouse posted:

I laughed way too hard at this

I was always partial to draft chaff vs genuinely valueless but I'm nostalgic for some of the newer stuff

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Eej posted:

Kenrith is a pretty good draw and kinda fair

Fair's not good enough anymore :(

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Wotc not banning anything from modern and standard is :laffo:

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Bust Rodd posted:

They couldn’t just ban companion, they can’t just ban a mechanic outright.
ante?

DangerDongs
Nov 7, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Companions are the easily the biggest thing that is pushing me to not by paper product ever again. I really don't look forward to never playing cards that cost over 2 unless all 80 of my cards, excluding lands, have ETBs.

I loving hates them. Hates. Them.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

DangerDongs posted:

Companions are the easily the biggest thing that is pushing me to not by paper product ever again. I really don't look forward to never playing cards that cost over 2 unless all 80 of my cards, excluding lands, have ETBs.

I loving hates them. Hates. Them.

you can play and do well without companions
https://www.hipstersofthecoast.com/2020/05/jason-fleurant-wins-magicfest-season-2-finals-with-temur-clover-top-8-decklists/

Look Around You
Jan 19, 2009

I joined the dark side and got a playset of Uros today because I know they're not gonna get any/much cheaper :(. That bant control list that Kanister put up seems to be the best thing I can be doing with my (formerly UW) control shell. It loving of course runs Yorion but I'm wondering if there's a world I can play it without yorion and still make the mana work.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

fadam posted:

Fair's not good enough anymore :(

Ah I meant post rotation but I know what you mean

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
So bored and bloated with stimulus $$$$ I just spent $50 on a deck box, 2 sets of sleeves, and new dice for my Legacy deck that I’ve shuffled up maybe 3 times in the last 4 years.

For double-sleeved Commander decks I prefer the Ultra-Pro Towers, although I have to say that 2 of my 3 open smoothly but the third is kind of a pain to open quickly.

For single sleeves Commander decks or any constructed 75 I’m all about Sidewinder Ultra Guard boxes. The snappy magnets and the texture make me feel like my decks are safe and stylish! No complaints about these whatsoever!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hey folks. been doing a lot of cleaning while locked down, and found a small Revised Starter Deck box, one of these fellas:

it's the incredibly well-used, nearly-disintegrating box from the first pack of MTG cards I bought when I was 7 years old, a box that had that and like, a guide book or something in it. Anyways, inside it was a stack of rares and foils and such from a bunch of series ranging from Revised to some series past Urza's Legacy(the series where I stopped playing). I genuinely don't remember where these came from especially the ones from past UL what with dropping MTG around that point, but, any of it worth anything? Most of them are in good to great shape, a few are a bit hosed up or have worn edges, but most are I believe, if the standard of "so long as the back of the card isn't identifiably marred" holds up, almost all are still "tournament legal". I've also got a large box with like 50 pounds of cards(mostly my old, picked-over collection) in it but I think that's in my storage room and that sucker'll have to wait for another time.

apologies for the crappy photo/flash, it's an old phone and the pictures just wouldn't take without the flash, but damned if magic cards aren't magnets for camera flash no matter what angle I shot at.

so, any of this worth a goddamn?

totally cool if none of it is, just curious if anything's worth offloading.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Helm of Obidence, Puzzle Box, & Sisay seem like the big standouts there.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
That foil Phyrexian Altar is worth about $140 to an idiot with a Commander deck.

DreamScythe
Jul 25, 2007
Is it just me, or have card prices spike massively over the past couple months? My average deck cost on TappedOut have gone up 10-15%, with some of the staples, especially the commander and reserved list stuff, jumped up 40% in some case.

What the hell is going on? I thought prices were supposed to drop due to lack of paper magic going on.

DreamScythe fucked around with this message at 06:48 on May 12, 2020

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's speculators taking advantage of the pandemic. Blightsteel Colossus has been run up to $100 and I can't tell what even for. I don't think that even "lol commander" is enough to explain that.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
dang, nice. definitely tossing that phyrexian altar up then, probably sisay too. only thing I'm worried about is overly meticulous people freaking out over a small scratch or something on a card, when ebaying stuff like that, what's the best way to go about talking about condition, just say "card is used", provide a general condition like "dings along the edge, some marks, etc" and provide a photo, or go into critical detail on every small aspect?

still forever regretting offloading all my dualies(was that a thing outside my local card shop? dual lands, obviously) for 30 bucks a pop back when I got out. just ebaying "revised dual land" makes me depressed since I had four of each. Oh well, I got them for next to nothing when magic was still fairly niche, so it's just coulda regret.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
Don't ever regret selling cards for the going rate that they were at the time. How in the hell were you supposed to know that the conditions that made a Revised Underground Sea go for $500 in 2020?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Star Man posted:

Don't ever regret selling cards for the going rate that they were at the time. How in the hell were you supposed to know that the conditions that made a Revised Underground Sea go for $500 in 2020?
oh I know, it's why I said they're just coulda regrets(coulda, woulda, shoulda). same reason I don't regret selling the Dota 2 Weta Workshops Axe Statues and ingame item cards I had when I did, I got 250/statue and 500/card, while nowadays the statue can go for 400-500 alone and the card/ingame item 1000-1500. trying to predict markets can be a fool's errand, so getting a nice, safe, guaranteed profit is always preferable to me rather than risking it all.