Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Xelkelvos posted:

Iirc, the power source or something for it was destroyed.

Is the power source for it kryptonite?

Also, I thought it was weird that the gangsters in the last episode didn't unmask Batwoman when she was knocked out, and then it would of turned into showing the new cowl-jack alarm that shocks people, they even mentioned the concept early in the episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Vietnamwees posted:

Can’t have been; the episode was pre crisis.

If whatever the weapon in the journal is requires kryptonite then either the journal didn’t exist pre crisis or it contained something else pre crisis.

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Mary continue to be the absolute best.

Is the finale a real finale or another unfinished cobbled together finale?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

The Lord Bude posted:

Can’t have been; the episode was pre crisis.

If whatever the weapon in the journal is requires kryptonite then either the journal didn’t exist pre crisis or it contained something else pre crisis.

It's a bit of a coin flip. I'm certain the gun wasn't kryptonite powered, but at the same time Oliver somehow got his hands on kryptonite between Invasion! and Earth-X without seemingly visiting Earth-38, so who knows.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

nine-gear crow posted:

It's a bit of a coin flip. I'm certain the gun wasn't kryptonite powered, but at the same time Oliver somehow got his hands on kryptonite between Invasion! and Earth-X without seemingly visiting Earth-38, so who knows.

Ollie discovered that his Earth had a Krypton. Just no Kryptonians.

:smith:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Vietnamwees posted:

Also, I thought it was weird that the gangsters in the last episode didn't unmask Batwoman when she was knocked out, and then it would of turned into showing the new cowl-jack alarm that shocks people, they even mentioned the concept early in the episode.

It wasn't but superscience being what it is, I'm sure Lucius Fox described a way to use the armor piercing weapon to be even more potent and/or stable with a Kryptonite power source. Bruce, of course, probably had it with him when he disappeared or there's a lead lined box hiding in some secret cubby hole that no one's discovered yet that has all of his anti-hero counter measures including kryptonite.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

I hope they use it as an excuse to get a mini crossover happening.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Xelkelvos posted:

It wasn't but superscience being what it is, I'm sure Lucius Fox described a way to use the armor piercing weapon to be even more potent and/or stable with a Kryptonite power source. Bruce, of course, probably had it with him when he disappeared or there's a lead lined box hiding in some secret cubby hole that no one's discovered yet that has all of his anti-hero counter measures including kryptonite.

So, Doom. I could see that as a crossover event.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

twistedmentat posted:

So, Doom. I could see that as a crossover event.

I love that story, but I don't know if this particular universe's League is established enough. Plus without Bruce you lose the betrayal angle that really brings the emotional weight.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ShakeZula posted:

I love that story, but I don't know if this particular universe's League is established enough. Plus without Bruce you lose the betrayal angle that really brings the emotional weight.

The Tower of Babel story would've worked if Ollie was still around since he was basically repainted Batman. There really isn't someone at the moment who has that meticulous and paranoid mindset that Ollie had and would have the resources to do it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I did think it was funny how even Lucius didn't have the patience for his bullshit code and just invented glasses that auto translated.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

ShakeZula posted:

You're right about losing the betrayal angle, but I could see it working pretty well as a method to introduce a Bruce to this universe when/if they ever do that. Like, have it start off, Kate & crew are like "How can we stop this?" and then there's a dramatic entrance, Bruce shows up, and says "You can't", bum bum bum, cut to commercial

TwoPair fucked around with this message at 04:19 on May 13, 2020

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

TwoPair posted:

You're right about losing the betrayal angle, but I could see it working pretty well as a method to introduce a Bruce to this universe when/if they ever do that. Like, have it start off, Kate & crew are like "How can we stop this?" and then there's a dramatic entrance, Bruce shows up, and says "You can't", bum bum bum, cut to commercial

You mean cut to end credits; for either a season or mid season finale right?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
More dorky Kate! Mouse is going to whine his way right into Alice knifing him! Arkham Asylum on a Wednesday which means everyone's let out of their cell again!

If Hush can tone it down a bit, things are looking up. I'm really glad this show finally unfucked itself.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Just in time for it to go away for who knows how long!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Yea I think season 2 will have a lot to gain by getting rid of Mouse. Actually not focusing just on Alice would also help a lot. If this was a Batman show and the Joker showed up every episode, poo poo would get real boring real quick.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Chokes McGee posted:

I'm really glad this show finally unfucked itself.

Hard agree, the past two episodes in particular have been high points for sure. Fewer repetitive exposition dumps about the past, more dealing with immediate situations, story twists that make situations interesting, villains working together but like bitter rivals, heroes helping each other in evolving situations where they're partly hamstrung... it's like someone on staff got everyone to play the same tabletop RPG together and now the show can do more than one thing at a time.

jassa
Nov 7, 2005

"He's so awesome!"
He really is!

Xelkelvos posted:

I mean... Kate already has a piece of emergency kryptonite. It wouldn't need to be introduced as a legacy thing from Lucius/Bruce's time.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

twistedmentat posted:

Yea I think season 2 will have a lot to gain by getting rid of Mouse. Actually not focusing just on Alice would also help a lot. If this was a Batman show and the Joker showed up every episode, poo poo would get real boring real quick.

I don't know, I think the last few episodes have worked pretty well with Mouse getting sick of Alice's bullshit. If they both live through the season, I think the future might work well if, like, Mouse goes rogue or something. Definitely less Alice overall would be good though.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

Fewer voiceover monologues as well, which I appreciated. Seems like less of the annoying radio host voiceovers too, which is even better, they need to go.

Arrow had the same problem as well early in Season 1 - It felt almost Dexter-ish, I don't know if that was deliberate. Because Oliver didn't have anyone else in the know to deliver exposition to; the show used voiceovers. Once Oliver had a team, they went away. Same cycle seems to be happening here and the show is better for it.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Crossposting from the BSS TV thread

howe_sam posted:

In not entirely surprising news, Superman and Lois is going to premiere next year
https://twitter.com/cwsupermanlois/status/1260994443139670017

This is relevant to this thread because Superman & Lois will crossover with Batwoman in a mini-event next year. I'm assuming it'll have something to do with why the Batsuit is weak to kryptonite.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Maybe next season they could give Kate a sidekick. They need to fill out the Bat team and a ward is a logical next step. Maybe Stephanie Brown?

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

twistedmentat posted:

Maybe next season they could give Kate a sidekick. They need to fill out the Bat team and a ward is a logical next step. Maybe Stephanie Brown?

If they don't make Mary Firebird, they could probably do hacker girl as Spoiler.

Getting Steph would be the bees knees though, she got done dirty by new 52

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'd say Luke as Batwing is the obvious choice but then, Iron Man suits are a little pricey CGI wise and CW tries to avoid those, case in point the Atom suit.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Could probably just make it a simple chestpiece with CGI wings that only unfurl 3 times a season.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Kara and the Superfriends could probably deal with that Kryptonite, but oh well, there wouldn't be a story if they did.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Something about Alice and Mouse burning a library book irks me.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Welp, bye Mouse.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Don't know what surprised me more, Mouse being done, or that ending

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Here's an interview regarding the reveal of the actor who'll be (present) Bruce Wayne for the CW-verse

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
I'm surprised, I figured that they'd wait another season or maybe even 2 before they shot their Bat-load and revealed a Bruce.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I guess Jensen Ackles wasn't able to free up his schedule.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

It's sort of funny how out of all the characters in the Bat Canon the one the show seems to be going out of its way to not mention is Jim Gordon. Commissioner Loeb?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

howe_sam posted:

It's sort of funny how out of all the characters in the Bat Canon the one the show seems to be going out of its way to not mention is Jim Gordon. Commissioner Loeb?

After Batman disappeared, he clearly fell into a drunken gutter ala Jim Gordon in Harley Quinn.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

howe_sam posted:

I guess they need a new commissioner to be anti-Batman. Because Gordon is decidedly pro-Bat in basically every universe.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Well Commissioner Loeb was the guy who had the job before Gordon (in the movies I've seen, anyway), and Gordon was presumably way more Batman-friendly than Loeb. So when Vesper says she hasn't seen a law enforcement-vigilante relationship "this tense" since Batman and Loeb, that probably refers to Batman's early career, and doesn't necessarily mean anything for the current GCPD hierarchy.

I am surprised that they cast a Bruce Wayne already, and if the character every shows up it's going to be weird that our first impressions of him are from a villain's impersonation.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

ShakeZula posted:

Well Commissioner Loeb was the guy who had the job before Gordon (in the movies I've seen, anyway), and Gordon was presumably way more Batman-friendly than Loeb. So when Vesper says she hasn't seen a law enforcement-vigilante relationship "this tense" since Batman and Loeb, that probably refers to Batman's early career, and doesn't necessarily mean anything for the current GCPD hierarchy.

I am surprised that they cast a Bruce Wayne already, and if the character every shows up it's going to be weird that our first impressions of him are from a villain's impersonation.

One of Hush's things was that he had his face surgically altered to look like Bruce Wayne's as he was one of his few villains who had a specific vendetta against Bruce Wayne and not Batman. The real Bruce will probably eventually show up in the season. Likely in a terrible wig and beard.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Xelkelvos posted:

After Batman disappeared, he clearly fell into a drunken gutter ala Jim Gordon in Harley Quinn.

You shut your mouth! He's a drat good cop!

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Chokes McGee posted:

You shut your mouth! He's a drat good cop!

And he had a montage of him getting cleaned up that fixed everything!

I realized that the worst thing about the show is actually the Crows. They can't seem to decide if they're good, bad or neutral. Mary said it out loud that no one trusts them because they're literally a private police force, but we don't get any sense that people actually think that. Maybe they could show the mayor or someone else in the elected leadership say "hey you know what, get out of Gotham" , rather than well nothing. Also this is like the 10th time Kate has given them the benefit of the doubt and again, betrayal.

Ugh i really, really wish CW wasn't so committed to making everything family drama.

Also everyone's reaction to Luke pouring out the crushed kryptonite was solid.

twistedmentat fucked around with this message at 21:17 on May 18, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Feel kind of bad for the guy who played Hush since he's kind of out of a job now.