Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

And it depends on your job. I work for a gov body and we moved a lot of our Brexit project teams onto Covid response for about a month (we do emergencies but not that sort, so we needed continuity plans if everyone got sick). Now we have structures in place, we have to refocus them on Brexit because the timescale hasn’t changed and we can’t afford to get caught on the back foot.

I don’t have any particular insight but I’ve been predicting No Deal since 2017 and still do. We have to prepare for that (happily we’re non-ministerial and so don’t have SpAds telling us which thoughts and plans are Forbidden).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
Ehm did you hear that? It's the sound of our boy Elon being a REBELLIOUS VISIONARY as usual.

https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1259945593805221891?s=20

Got to love the rona bringing out the worst in the billionaires. As if a plague wasn't enough we all have to deal with their idiotic babyish business plans. loving kill me.

thrashingteeth fucked around with this message at 07:57 on May 12, 2020

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Daniel Kawczynski has always been one of the larger bellends in the Tory party if memory serves.

Mebh posted:

Also. Hl.

Hey! Welcome to the madhouse.

Edit:

zentigeist posted:

Got to love the rona bringing out the worst in the billionaires. As if a plague wasn't enough we all have to deal with their idiotic babyish business plans. loving kill me.

I assume this is a police tazing in the making that the UKMT could get behind?

Trouble is, even arresting the chucklefuck is just doing exactly what he wants.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 08:18 on May 12, 2020

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

quote:

also maybe if going to the beach is such a high priority to you that not being able to do it in the middle of a pandemic makes you you angry enough to dissolve an entire government, take some personal responsibility and don't live in loving Shrewsbury

I believe driving there in your Range Rover with no recognition of the speed limit or lane boundaries and complete disregard for the safety of others and the highway code in general is part of the novelty, op

crispix fucked around with this message at 08:35 on May 12, 2020

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/CourtNewsUK/status/1259859474355019777

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

zentigeist posted:

Ehm did you hear that? It's the sound of our boy Elon being a REBELLIOUS VISIONARY as usual.

If he is arrested, I am sure he will just argue that what he said on his Twitter was a figure of speech and that he shouldn't be held accountable for it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

And people wonder why "head of CPS" is a serious mark against starmer.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

Could you be considered NFA if you weren't living on the streets but had been provided with temporary accommodation for the duration of the pandemic? That might explain the apparent inconsistency if so.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Prince John posted:

Could you be considered NFA if you weren't living on the streets but had been provided with temporary accommodation for the duration of the pandemic? That might explain the apparent inconsistency if so.

Seems like the prosecution would mention that specific address in that case tho?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Prince John posted:

Daniel Kawczynski has always been one of the larger bellends in the Tory party if memory serves.
6'8½", so the largest.

Prince John posted:

If memory serves there's a difference between 'no fixed address' and 'a public area'. That's certainly the rationale that Public Space Protection Orders used to fine people for being vagrant in public without needing to provide any shelter.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

This seems like one of those things you ask an A.I. to make it explode when it tries to destroy the world.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
https://mobile.twitter.com/davidallengreen/status/1259891630959722499

Get ready for the police to release a wishy washy statement and promise a non-apology

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Yeah but he's not homeless, his address just isn't fixed :smug:

I went to a bank one time many years ago to tell them that my address had changed as I was NFA. The cashier asked for some proof of address, then got shirty with me for asking if she was loving joking. Eventually got it solved by having a good cry at the manager, but seriously most people are just completely unable to comprehend the basic concept of homelessness, despite notionally being very familiar with it. I think the human brain is just very adept at blocking out stuff that sits outside of a person's experience and would force them to confront ugly realities about the world.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
HMRC are normally happy with "somewhere that you can receive post" if you read the fine print, I had all that stuff go to a work address for a while.

I guess banks might be more uptight due to AML, but any address requirements must have some sort of reasonableness clause in them.

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Yeah the end result was just a c/o address, just had to get to a manager to get that far, because the cashier was actually telling me with a straight face that she'd need a utility bill or the like addressed to "NFA" to make the change, the whole concept was just beyond her

Guessing something similar has happened here, like some prosecutor just can't compute that "homeless" actually means not having a home

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

A friend of mine and I were talking about this on Twitter.
There are a couple of court cases from the 16th century where points of law were so obviously wrong that we still know about them. This case sounds like one of them.

The fact that Judge commented on it sounds like even the judge it is in front of was prepared to throw it out, or at least knows that it is a no hoper of a case.

There's a number of reason why the CPS is going ahead with it
(The police don't like the guy and are insisting he be charged.
Whichever lawyer for the CPS in court didn't want to make a call on having this lemon of a case and wants to kick the decision to someone else in the chain.
Someone is letting their pride get in the way of admitting that this is a mistake.
Someone has found some really weird precident to support this case.)

Still without being a part of the case, I can't do more than speculate.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Shrewsbury's always been weird about Wales. Bit like Bristol where you had to be careful about sounding "too Welsh" because of the reaction some people would have.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

My gut feel is that this is likely to be 'leaving the hotel that they have been put up in for the duration' if they were sleeping rough - the vast majority of people who were sleeping rough have been brought into hostel or hotel rooms for a month or so now - or leaving the sofa they've been surfing on, or whatever. I might poke someone at work and see if anyone knows more.

It's utter bullshit either way (because arresting people for being homeless is always utter bullshit when there are more empty homes than homeless people), but it's probably not quite as ridiculous as it sounds prima facie.

To segue somewhat, The Event is honestly a huge opportunity for ending or dramatically reducing rough sleeping - it's very, very rare to have the vast majority of people who would be sleeping rough in places where their location is known, they can easily receive post and communication, and they have 3 square a day. A lot of work is being done to make sure that as many people as possible move on from those hotels into actual accommodation, rather than back onto the streets.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010
Things are so loving bad then even Piers Morgan is doing a better job of holding the government to account than literally every other form of msm

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

I don't get it. Maybe the Marches are a bit short on beaches but there's plenty of nice countryside you can go to? Hills and stuff. What's so special about the beach?

(feeling vaguely like a reverse Marie Antoinette now. "Let them visit hills!". But at least the hills exist)

Oh dear me
Aug 14, 2012

I have burned numerous saucepans, sometimes right through the metal

Paul.Power posted:

What's so special about the beach?

I think the biggest thing is probably that it has built in entertainment for children (and adults who like swimming or surfing). Plus convenient nearby refreshments and loos, in most cases.

(I also just love seeing the sea and think every landscape would be improved by it. But I am not suggesting any of this is more important than saving lives.)

c0burn
Sep 2, 2003

The KKKing
I griped on Reddit about the gov advising wearing facial coverings (which I note they've been careful not to call masks) but not supplying a regulated, medically sound one to the populace. The amount of "hurr durr, sort it out yourself, the government doesn't do your shopping" bootlickers are unreal. We literally have an NHS we all pay for. it's not a packet of crisps.

Yes I know Reddit is bad

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Oh dear me posted:

I also just love seeing the sea and think every landscape would be improved by it.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Have we defeated racism in this country?

https://twitter.com/IanWright0/status/1259833040626429954

No, we loving have not

That is so depressing. What does that person even get out of doing that?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

c0burn posted:

I griped on Reddit about the gov advising wearing facial coverings (which I note they've been careful not to call masks) but not supplying a regulated, medically sound one to the populace. The amount of "hurr durr, sort it out yourself, the government doesn't do your shopping" bootlickers are unreal. We literally have an NHS we all pay for. it's not a packet of crisps.

Yes I know Reddit is bad

Since the government aren't doing it, is there a recommended-by-sensible-people way of getting hold of masks? A lot of the amazon listings for masks feel vaguely skeevy somehow.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Jippa posted:

A visit to the police station in this case.

---

I can just imagine the police shouting "Sir! Return to your home!" at a homeless person before arresting them, it's like arresting someone for resisting arrest.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Jippa posted:

A feeling of false security that even though they aren't a famous sports personality and commentator with 30 odd international caps, they're still better because they're white*.

Racism isn't rational, yet it remains a popular hobby for some.

*100 years ago there's no way that anyone called Patrick O'Brien would have been regarded as 'white', but then the whole thing is layers of irrational social prejudice built by imperialism.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Qwertycoatl posted:

Since the government aren't doing it, is there a recommended-by-sensible-people way of getting hold of masks? A lot of the amazon listings for masks feel vaguely skeevy somehow.

Elle have switched production from tights to masks, £15 gets you a pack of 5 washable ones:

https://elle.co.uk/products/protective-mask-5-pack-washable

I can vouch they're legit, I got a pack last week and they're decent quality.

Aphex-
Jan 29, 2006

Dinosaur Gum

sassassin posted:

Shrewsbury's always been weird about Wales. Bit like Bristol where you had to be careful about sounding "too Welsh" because of the reaction some people would have.

I have literally never come across this while living in Bristol.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

jackhunter64 posted:

Elle have switched production from tights to masks, £15 gets you a pack of 5 washable ones:

Just ordered some so thanks for this!

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

I was in my local chemists a few weeks ago to pick up a prescription, and I asked if they had any masks, assuming the answer would be no. But they were just like, "yeah loads" and gave me one. So you shouldn't assume everywhere nearby is out without checking.

thrashingteeth
Dec 22, 2019

depressive hedonia
always tired
taco tuesday
I'm kind of hype that we get to wear face coverings like bandanas and masks in public.

Makes me feel like a bandit.

Yes I am also 6.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Aphex- posted:

Same, and I have an extensive Welsh contingent in my extended family who definitely would have mentioned it :confused:

History Comes Inside! fucked around with this message at 10:38 on May 12, 2020

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jippa posted:

I think it goes without saying, but the vitriol in that Tweet is what is so shocking. Even more so than the awful, hate filled words.

Like there is so much directed, hatred in what is said there. However there is also a lot of anger. And you kind of in that case have to look behind those words to see why is that person so angry.

The Guards over here have said that they are investigating the incident here and a teenager has attended for a volentarily, cautioned interview. (Which means that he voluntarily went to a garda station to give his version of events. Probably without a solicitor present.) At this time no criminal complaint has been made so he hasn’t been charged with anything yet.

See News story here.

But as awful as what he said is, for a teenager to say that sort of stuff, I have to imagine that there is a lot of other bad stuff going on in this kids life. With a bit of luck, maybe there can be a positive end to this story.

Paul.Power posted:

I don't get it. Maybe the Marches are a bit short on beaches but there's plenty of nice countryside you can go to? Hills and stuff. What's so special about the beach?

(feeling vaguely like a reverse Marie Antoinette now. "Let them visit hills!". But at least the hills exist)

So, funny thing about that Marie Antionette quote. The French for “Let them eat cake” is “Qu'ils mangent du gâteau.”
But what she might have said was “Qu'ils mangent du brioche.”

Now Brioche is a type of sweet bread, and could be translated as cake. But it’s also something that is really cheap and easy to make and has been for quite some time. (As long as it doesn’t have chocolate in it, that’s what makes it more expensive.)

In which case, if she really did suggest that the starving people go for Brioche instead, it’s not quite a tone deaf suggestion as you might initially think. It’s not on the level of saying “if people can’t afford the bus, why not buy their own car.” As it has gone down in history as.

I suspect part of the reason for that is that she was
A) A female head of state
B) A female, non-French born head of state
C) Was executed
So there would be a tendency for historians to re-write her into an out of touch, simpleton to best legitimise themselves.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

jackhunter64 posted:

Cool thanks

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Aphex- posted:

Maybe it's just the football brings it out of people. Or it's just a Welsh urban legend. Not spent much time in Bristol personally, but have heard plenty of versions of the "woman behind the counter in the chippy ignored me when she heard my accent" story.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

The Question IRL posted:

Now Brioche is a type of sweet bread, and could be translated as cake. But it’s also something that is really cheap and easy to make and has been for quite some time. (As long as it doesn’t have chocolate in it, that’s what makes it more expensive.).

I'm not sure it's any cheaper than a plain sponge cake. It's enriched with eggs so it's not 'flour+water+yeast' which is what would have been actually cheap back then. Edit: also a poo poo-ton of butter which was likewise not cheap back in the day (or indeed now).

feedmegin fucked around with this message at 11:17 on May 12, 2020

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Qwertycoatl posted:

the government provided very clear advice citizen
https://twitter.com/DarranMarshall/status/1259838387986538496

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

I never hear any of that in Bristol. You'll get a small subset of people for sure, but their discrimination is never reserved just for the Welsh - usually Rovers fans as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Over 40k deaths officially but it's time to ease lockdown