Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season should the next animated reconstruction be from?
This poll is closed.
Season 1 (Marco Polo) 13 18.57%
Season 2 (The Crusade) 1 1.43%
Season 3 (Galaxy 4/The Myth Makers/The Daleks' Master Plan/The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve/The Celestial Toymaker/The Savages) 25 35.71%
Season 4 (The Smugglers/The Highlanders/The Underwater Menace/The Evil of the Daleks) 16 22.86%
Season 5 (The Abominable Snowmen/The Web of Fear/The Wheel in Space) 11 15.71%
Season 6 (The Space Pirates) 4 5.71%
Total: 70 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Stolen from Facebook...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/manusj/status/1259237425072799744

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Couldn’t get the image to save on iPhone so I had to screen cap.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Lot of terrifying possibilities in the Big Finish catalogue, really:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bigfinish/status/1259210509557039105

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

I could listen to entire running series of 11 and 12 yelling at each other. :allears:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Chokes McGee posted:

I could listen to entire running series of 11 and 12 yelling at each other. :allears:

His 11 is spot on, shame about his 12.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Chokes McGee posted:

The fun thing is I can't even decide which of them would try to avoid death/regeneration more--11 who thinks he can't, or 12 who "didn't want to go" more than 10!

I tend to avoid the "Doctor as read by a rando" releases but I may have to do this one.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/bbcwritersroom/status/1259812659710451713

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
Is there some scriptwriting lingo I'm missing or does Chibnall just love to use the word ICONIC?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

Is there some scriptwriting lingo I'm missing or does Chibnall just love to use the word ICONIC?

He writes it and then lets everyone else do the hard work and interpret it. It’s fairly lazy.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Largely unrelated, but one of the Red Dwarf novels included the first script for the show's pilot in the back, which they specifically wrote trying to ensure higher-ups it would be really cheap to make. So every prop and set description is stuff like 'BBC basement corridor' or 'whatever computers we've got lying around'.

I like to imagine that any good Doctor Who script has similar setting descriptions.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
http://www.doctorwhotv.co.uk/andrew-cartmel-thinks-timeless-child-depletes-the-mystery-of-doctor-who-93918.htm

IMO, Cartmel has bad takes.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

I was rereading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy the other day and it struck me just how Doctor Who it was from the word go. The Heart of Gold is basically a TARDIS, the Sub-Etha Sens-O-Matic and the Thumb together make a sonic screwdriver, and the scenes in book 3 of Zaphod moping around his infinitely powerful ship with infinite possibilities and nowhere to go read pretty much like how the Doctor might act if they had a few more personality problems.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

Dabir posted:

I was rereading the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy the other day and it struck me just how Doctor Who it was from the word go. The Heart of Gold is basically a TARDIS, the Sub-Etha Sens-O-Matic and the Thumb together make a sonic screwdriver, and the scenes in book 3 of Zaphod moping around his infinitely powerful ship with infinite possibilities and nowhere to go read pretty much like how the Doctor might act if they had a few more personality problems.

Isn't the third Hitchhiker book the one that's literally a rejected Who script (Doctor Who and the Krikkitmen)?

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

That would make a lot of sense.

Two Owls
Sep 17, 2016

Yeah, count me in

Douglas Adams' ideas early on for HHGTTG (If I remember that "Don't Panic"book right) lean more towards a Doctor Who piss-take format, with Ford and Arthur bouncing around having adventures. Like a pitch for one episode being about "A planet all dentists have been exiled to until they finally agree on one thing that is actually good for your teeth".

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
Adams reuses a few jokes from The Pirate Planet in Hitchhikers doesn't he?

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

First look at the books from the "Time Lord Victorious" crossover.

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=first-time-lord-victorious-stories

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Dabir posted:

Adams said that the Doctor and Ford are more or less the same person, but where the Doctor would go save a planet, Ford would choose to go to a party.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Eh, I think he actually makes several good points (though the BBC would never let him get rid of the sonic screwdriver, because I'm sure they make bank on merchandising it).

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

As someone who has Ten's, River's, Eleven's, Twelve's, and Thirteen's sonics, yes, yes they do

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I realize now that the article I saw yesterday and this one aren't the same, so I'm gonna try to find the original source.

Here's the source: https://cultbox.co.uk/news/andrew-cartmel-timeless-child-backstory-depletes-the-mystery

I personally think trying to put the Doctor back in the mystery box is impossible and inadvisable now, but besides that, this is the part I take particular issue here:

quote:

“…when I joined the show, the Doctor had become almost like a guest character in his own show. He had become inconsequential. He’d become a victim rather than the sort of powerful figure at the center of the show. And also, over the previous decades, more and more had become known about him and he was supposed to be this complete enigma but gradually that mystery had been chipped away.” It started with… He’s a Time Lord. Then there’s other Time Lords. Then he’s not even the boss Time Lord. And he could be disciplined by the Time Lords and he could be exiled to Earth and all this stuff and there were always good, solid story reasons to do those things, by which I mean they would provide you with a couple of weeks more material for your stories, but they had long-term detrimental effects because the more you did that, the less interesting the Doctor became.”

I think to me, Cartmel's desire for an extremely mysterious, powerful Doctor makes for a less compelling character, and I prefer the take of the Doctor as an adventurer that had to slowly learn how to be a good person and only eventually became extraordinary through their deeds. I mean, the Hartnell/Troughton years were great fun, but we can't time-travel back to them.

EDIT: That said, in an alternative universe where I was born in the UK, got really into writing and somehow made it to showrunner of Doctor Who with little to no oversight of the BBC, I'd absolutely destroy the TARDIS and mine it for at least a season of consequences.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Doctor shouldn't be some grand mythical figure

They're the kind of person to walk up to and introduce themselves to whatever is trying to kill them and getting away through guile, recontextualized knowledge and a frankly alarming amount of luck

...I mean, that's basically early Eleven, isn't it?

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Vinylshadow posted:

The Doctor shouldn't be some grand mythical figure

They're the kind of person to walk up to and introduce themselves to whatever is trying to kill them and getting away through guile, recontextualized knowledge and a frankly alarming amount of luck

...I mean, that's basically early Eleven, isn't it?

That's essentially the plot for the Eleventh Hour, yes.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

God, The Eleventh Hour is so good.

"They're spreading the word all over the world, quantum fast. The word is out. And do you know what the word is? .... the word is Zero."

:hellyeah:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Davros1 posted:

First look at the books from the "Time Lord Victorious" crossover.

https://www.doctorwho.tv/news/?article=first-time-lord-victorious-stories

Those look great. Looking forward to Tennant playing it in audio, because he can be chilling when he goes Dark!

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Astroman posted:

Those look great. Looking forward to Tennant playing it in audio, because he can be chilling when he goes Dark!

Angry Shouting, got it.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

The_Doctor posted:

Angry Shouting, got it.

Shouting? SHOUTING?! I'M NOT SHOUTING

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

When I'm showrunner the sonic will stay but our style guide will have lists of good and lame uses of the sonic, and the general direction will be to avoid using the sonic to solve problems that could be solved without the sonic and/or to avoid introducing problems only to have them removed by the sonic. The sonic under no circumstances should be a weapon. I hate when it's a ray gun or a plot-obstacle skipper.

My favourite "didn't use the sonic" is 5 jovially flipping a coin to decide which passage to take in the caves. My favourite big sonic moment is the "it's the same screwdriver!" in Day of the Doctor.

Your move, bbc, who is 100% reading this post.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

CommonShore posted:

My favourite big sonic moment is the "it's the same screwdriver!" in Day of the Doctor.

Absolute best part of this is after they get done congratulating themselves on being clever, they find out the door was unlocked the entire time :allears:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"Three of you in one room and none of you tried the door?"
"It's supposed to be locked."

Such a fun dynamic and more multi-Doctor stories that aren't grand epics would be fun

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Jerusalem posted:

Absolute best part of this is after they get done congratulating themselves on being clever, they find out the door was unlocked the entire time :allears:

This is my replacement? A fez and some sandshoes?!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

"Oh you must be his companions... I swear they get younger every time :allears:"

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
"Oi! Chinny?"
"Yeah, you do have a chin."

E:
"Loving the posh gravelly thing, very convincing."
"Brave words, Dick Van Dyke."

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Ten: We’re being attacked by a shape shifting alien from outer space formerly disguised as my horse.
Queen Elizabeth I: What does this mean?
Ten: It means we’re gonna need a new horse.

The Doctor: Oi! You! Are you science-y?
Osgood: Oh! Um, well um, yes.
The Doctor: Got a name?
Osgood: Yes.
The Doctor: Good. I’ve always wanted to meet someone called Yes. Now, I want this stone dust analyzed. And I want a report. In triplicate. With lots of graphs. And diagrams. And complicated sums. On my desk. Tomorrow morning. ASAP. Pronto. LOL. See? Job! Do I have a desk?
Kate Stewart: No.
The Doctor: And I want a desk.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

CommonShore posted:

When I'm showrunner the sonic will stay but our style guide will have lists of good and lame uses of the sonic, and the general direction will be to avoid using the sonic to solve problems that could be solved without the sonic and/or to avoid introducing problems only to have them removed by the sonic. The sonic under no circumstances should be a weapon. I hate when it's a ray gun or a plot-obstacle skipper.

My favourite "didn't use the sonic" is 5 jovially flipping a coin to decide which passage to take in the caves. My favourite big sonic moment is the "it's the same screwdriver!" in Day of the Doctor.

Your move, bbc, who is 100% reading this post.

RTD's original rule of "the plot can be held up because the Doctor needs to solve some fiendishly difficult puzzle, it shouldn't be held up only because there's a lock on a door" was a good one and it should be followed more often.

Voting Floater
May 19, 2019

I like the characterisation in how different Doctors deploy the psychic paper to move the plot along. Smith would throw out nonsense and roll with it, Capaldi would often be quite forceful with it, while Whittaker tends to silently present it and go along with whatever the person says.

I think Eccleston and Tennant tended to use it in the same sort of basic functional way, with it just being a new tool at that point. Although if I remember right Tennant would often go for claiming positions of authority with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

"I think you’ll find that I’m universally recognized as a mature and responsible adult."
"It’s… just a lot of wavy lines."
"Yeah. Shorted out. Finally, a lie too big."