Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

Havoc904 posted:

I was talking with my brother yesterday, currently, is there any other finishing move as protected as the One Winged Angel? Or even close to it?

Aleister Black's spin kick is very protected. I can only recall Lars Sullivan kicking out of it. Even if it didn't hit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

How is everyone finding empty arena wrestling? I ask because after putting it off for a month I'm getting into my NOAH backlog and have watched the first 2 "episodes" (shows just have 2 tournament matches on them, nothing more) of the Global Tag League and despite the matches featuring some wrestlers I love to watch there is a reason I've kept putting this off. I'm just not feeling wrestling with no crowd on the whole.

There's been some really fun stuff obviously, people liked the Boneyard, the Shiozaki vs Fujita weirdness was the sort of thing you couldn't do with a live audience. And some companies at least have some people ringside making a bit of noise, like AEW and Dragongate, which is definitely better than the lifeless shows with no one to react to. Seeing El Hijo de Dr Wagner Jr playing to a crowd that's not there is just a bit shite really, and brings home how crappy this lockdown is.

So how do you feel about it? Do you think it is even possible to have a regular Match of the Year calibre match with no one in attendance? Is there anyone you think is handling this particularly well? I've liked the atmosphere at the few shows 2AW and AJPW have run at the 2AW Dojo, it's basically a small warehouse and the acoustics are such that things just sound louder than an empty Korakuen or the place NOAH have been running

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

It's turned AEW from 'must-watch' to 'maybe I'll duck out after the first hour'. Except for last week. Which was wall-to-wall awesome. But having a limited roster and a bunch of squash matches doesn't help with that.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 12, 2020

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
I haven’t watched anything other than short clips here and there. AEW are doing the best they can especially compare to WWE but even with a few people ringside it still feels so dead and lifeless.

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I haven't watched NXT since Portland, Smackdown I wasn't watching before and am definitely not watching now. I think I watched the first hour of Raw last night since like the second empty crowd episode. I think I'm like 3 weeks behind Dynamite, and I haven't watched Dark since they stopped running live shows.

I'll probably catch up on Dynamite, but in general the idea of having to sit down and watch a TV show at a specific time was already incredibly stupid, but the empty arenas pushed it over to pretty much guarantee I won't watch any of it live. I'll use it for background noise after I run out of podcasts while working from home.

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

What if Stephanie McMahon never married HHH and hooked up with some other wrestler, like the Rock?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Red posted:

Oh, sure, but I never saw his non-WWF stuff - just his odd WWF run. I realize that creates a more narrow view, which isn't really fair - but my impression of him has always been 'goofy looking guy who just hangs around and will be your tag team friend'.
A lot of low-to-midcarders from that era had meant something to a territorial promotion that just didn't translate to the big leagues.Keeping your regional audience was importance enough that, for example, Ricky Steamboat kept his name, but if you didn't have a larger-than-life look or persona then it didn't really get the national TV audience behind you.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

fatherofmustard posted:

What if Stephanie McMahon never married HHH and hooked up with some other wrestler, like the Rock?

It doesn't matter.

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
What if it was John Cena?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Coaaab posted:

What if it was John Cena?

Nah, I just can't see it.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

i wish we lived in the world where dolph ziggler married stephanie mcmahon

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

why

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Aye Doc posted:

i wish we lived in the world where dolph ziggler married stephanie mcmahon

I don't.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

Dolph Ziggler's NXT

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Halloween Jack posted:

A lot of low-to-midcarders from that era had meant something to a territorial promotion that just didn't translate to the big leagues.Keeping your regional audience was importance enough that, for example, Ricky Steamboat kept his name, but if you didn't have a larger-than-life look or persona then it didn't really get the national TV audience behind you.

My understanding has always been that Vince bought up stars to weaken territories so they couldn't compete with him, regardless of whether they'd make him any money.

Red fucked around with this message at 22:51 on May 12, 2020

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
The 80s roster was weird. They had a lot of people who just couldn't work, but who were pushed because they had good personas (like the Junkyard Dog), some who were good workers but whose best days were clearly behind them, and some who were still really good and basically had to carry everyone else.

Like one of the major problems of the early PPVs- notably the Wrestling Classic and Mania 2- was that it was getting difficult for WWF to cover up the fact that so many of their guys just stunk. Like the product was designed to cover up their flaws as much as possible but there was only so much they could do.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
The WWF roster in the 80s was constructed in different tiers.

There were the guys Vince raided because he thought he could make money with them.
Guys that came in because Vince bought out the territory and made promises to give people jobs (Which is why Bret got a job originally.)
Guys who were friends of Hogan.
And then there were spite hires (a lot of the old AWA guys Vince was hiring just for the hell of it.)
Plus the muscle dudes or generally big guys Vince loved.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

on WWE-speak:

Are there reasons for the phrases that they use instead of speaking like normal people? I am most interested in the words that are forbidden.

I am talking about "Championship" instead of "Belt", Medical Facility" instead of "Hospital", "WWE Universe" instead of "fans". "the situation in the world today" instead of "COVID-19, or virus", "Superstar" instead of "wrestler" etc.

I know that these can all be explained away by :vinceflex:, and senile brain worms. But do any of them have specific origins? For Example I can understand WWE Universe, coz that is weasel corporate speak that promotes the brand etc. But a lot of theothers seem like the whims of a carazy old man, and also they change seemingly without rhyme or reason.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル
I remember reading that Vince does hate some words because they don't sound right to him.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
The Local Medical Facility vs Hospital thing is apparently because in the past people could call the hospital closest to their venue to ask about the condition of "injured" wrestlers so they intentionally use weird words to prevent them from doing that - how true that is I don't know.

Some of it is Vince having a hatred of certain words that he associates with old wrestling which he thinks is uncultured and that he tries to disassociate WWE with; some like you say is for branding. That's why its "WWE Superstars" and not wrestlers; lets Vince pretend that he's not a wrestling promoter while also plugging the brand.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

At some point I think that stuff is just a matter of control. We say WWE has a cult atmosphere to it and like part of cult conditioning is stuff like that. Just getting people to accept that X is Y because they're told and don't question or fight it. Cult mentality. Chain of command. Respecting authority. Gaslighting. Hazing. Whatever. Its about conditioning people to get used to falling in line. The more you do it in small, insignificant ways like "don't call them belts" the more people just laugh and go "ok" and internalize going along with it.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
At least with "belt" it's kind of understandable that you'd want the main macguffin all these people are fighting over to be treated with some amount of prestige, so you make sure to call it a "Championship." I don't agree with that and I don't think anybody gives a poo poo either way because it's still a loving belt, Vince, but I at least understand it.

The rest of that poo poo is absolutely insane though. Wasn't it last year they did a tag title/#1 contender tournament and Vince randomly decided he didn't like the word "tournament" that month so he told everybody to call it a "Tag Team Eliminator?" Which is something nobody has ever said in the history of anything?

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

There are a LOT of people on Youtube that do the "ongoing global situation" instead of saying virus or pandemic so that seem widespread.

Unperson_47 fucked around with this message at 04:03 on May 13, 2020

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Someone on YouTube said that if you talk about the virus openly, your video gets demonetized or possibly removed. I don't know if that changed or is really the case but that would align with so many of them saying dumb poo poo

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
One of the retro computing channels I follow had to stop calling his series "COVID diaries" because they were getting demonetized, even though they had nothing to do with talking about corona or anything related to it, besides the time period it is happening during. Probably dumb but I guess given all the conspiracy bullshit on YouTube maybe it's not unwarranted.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It's only been within the last week or two that advertisements on Hulu for insurance, car companies, etc are actually saying "COVID-19" or "pandemic" instead of "with everything going on in the world today"

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
Calling the fans "The WWE Universe" isn't bad in and of itself. It's no different than referring to Pittsburgh Steelers fans as the Steeler Nation. It's just that WWE overdoes it and uses the term every time they refer to the crowd.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Yeah, it's irritating that they have to use an eleven-syllable phrase every time "crowd" or "fans" would work just fine.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
WWE is full of cargo cult corporate strategies and policies. The use of almost branded terminology, an unnecessary dress code, the very formal chain of command, and the arbitrary disciplining of personnel for perceived slights or "inappropriate" behavior, like not showing the right amount of respect or whatever, are all corporate_america.txt.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 14:23 on May 13, 2020

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I appreciate that Corey Graves will, without fail, whenever Alexa or Charlotte comes out, say the words “the goddess” or “the queen” immediately every single time

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Someone wrote or posted an article in last month's thread about WWE giving the Mayor of Los Angeles' office a press release draft for SummerSlam that was dripping with WWE buzzwords and corporate speak, and the Mayor's office came right back with "we're not saying this poo poo."

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Take the housing market into a nosedive! Ho Kogan!

Red
Apr 15, 2003

What're your favorite Dusty Finishes?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I mean they're all terrible on principle, but Jericho beating Triple H for the title was great until they walked it back

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

fatherofmustard posted:

maybe chyna would be alive :\

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Red posted:

What're your favorite Dusty Finishes?

Bionic Elbow :v:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

TriffTshngo posted:

At least with "belt" it's kind of understandable that you'd want the main macguffin all these people are fighting over to be treated with some amount of prestige, so you make sure to call it a "Championship." I don't agree with that and I don't think anybody gives a poo poo either way because it's still a loving belt, Vince, but I at least understand it.

The funny thing is, with their booking, WWE titles are probably about as prestigious as an off the rack belt you'd buy at Target nowadays.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

DeathChicken posted:

I mean they're all terrible on principle, but Jericho beating Triple H for the title was great until they walked it back

I agree, but there has to be at least a few that are great.

I think the finish to the Bret/Shawn Iron Man Match would've been tremendous had they been able to follow up on it properly instead of having Bret sit out for over 7 months (and not face Shawn again for a year after that).

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Kennel posted:

Bionic Elbow :v:

Don't make me get a mod!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Red posted:

I agree, but there has to be at least a few that are great.

During the match when Ricky Steamboat beat Ric Flair for the NWA World Heavyweight title, the original ref, Tommy Young, took a ref bump, during which Steamboat backdropped Flair over the top rope (an automatic DQ in the NWA). Teddy Long, the second ref, came to the ring to count the pin declaring Steamboat the winner. Young then recovered and got to his feet. The crowd was expecting Young to DQ Steamboat for the backdrop, as they had seen that finish MANY times before. Instead, Young held up Steamboat's hand in victory.