Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018
I really want to play some Face Hunter once I hit my ranking goal for the season. It seems like a great deck to play with a beer in one hand; quick games, straightforward tactical choices, not too much responding to board states. Is it at all viable without Toxic Reinforcements? I'd have to craft them, and I don't know if it's worth the dust.

Just played a game as warrior against priest where he copied an armorsmith from me, which gave him just enough life to stay alive at 1hp after my last push. It came down to my last card in the deck being that armorsmith, and he couldn't clear it. https://hsreplay.net/replay/oBTGiPpcyxA3MY769qutdc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

I lost quite a few face hunter games when I first started playing it because I was greatly undervaluing Toxic Reinforcements. I think it's one of the better cards in the deck now, especially if you can combo it with the secret tutoring beast. Getting pack tactics out when you have gnomes out either makes people play in really wonky ways or just gives you so much more face damage.

Quetzadilla
Jun 6, 2005

A PARTICULARLY GHOULISH SHITPOSTER FOR NEOLIBERLISM AND THE DEMOCRATIC PARTY
We did it boys. Silver 5. Legend here I come.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

fanny packrat posted:

I really want to play some Face Hunter once I hit my ranking goal for the season. It seems like a great deck to play with a beer in one hand; quick games, straightforward tactical choices, not too much responding to board states. Is it at all viable without Toxic Reinforcements? I'd have to craft them, and I don't know if it's worth the dust.

Just played a game as warrior against priest where he copied an armorsmith from me, which gave him just enough life to stay alive at 1hp after my last push. It came down to my last card in the deck being that armorsmith, and he couldn't clear it. https://hsreplay.net/replay/oBTGiPpcyxA3MY769qutdc

No, Toxic Reinforcements is a core card.

If you have the Galakrond's Awakening package and Stormhammers, you can play the Dragon package instead which is just as good at an equally low dust cost.

BTW, this is the best mix of flex cards I came up with for Face Hunter: Drawing two Unleashes felt really bad, and Scrap Shot was more flexible to bail you out of awkward draws (along with the stats showing a slight edge in performance over Unleash):

### BoarFace
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (1) Arcane Shot
# 2x (1) Blazing Battlemage
# 2x (1) Dwarven Sharpshooter
# 2x (1) Stonetusk Boar
# 2x (1) Toxic Reinforcements
# 2x (1) Tracking
# 2x (2) Explosive Trap
# 2x (2) Imprisoned Felmaw
# 2x (2) Kobold Sandtrooper
# 2x (2) Phase Stalker
# 2x (2) Scavenger's Ingenuity
# 2x (3) Eaglehorn Bow
# 2x (3) Kill Command
# 1x (3) Unleash the Hounds
# 1x (4) Dragonbane
# 2x (4) Scrap Shot
#
AAECAR8C2wmHsAMOqALJBIgF7QaXCP4M86cD+a4D+68D/K8DhbADorkD+boD/7oDAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

edit: yep, in my first try at a Warrior/Warlock/Hunter conquest lineup the Hunter got banned lmao

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 17:07 on May 10, 2020

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

CRAYON posted:

I lost quite a few face hunter games when I first started playing it because I was greatly undervaluing Toxic Reinforcements. I think it's one of the better cards in the deck now, especially if you can combo it with the secret tutoring beast. Getting pack tactics out when you have gnomes out either makes people play in really wonky ways or just gives you so much more face damage.

I figured it was kind of essential, but I was hoping otherwise. Crafting now, thanks for talking me into it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Has anyone else played around with Merps' strategy for Fungalmancer Flurgl in Battlegrounds? (Basically stay on Tier 1 for a few turns to build up a core of murlocs, then rush to tier 3 and 5 to cycle and buff them up)

My Flurgl finishes were two 8th places before I tried that, since I started playing him that way it's been 3rd, 7th, 3rd, 1st and that's with some big learning experience mistakes along the way.

So far it feels a lot like Pyramad where if you get one of the three good options on turn 1 you'll have an okay early game, just with a weaker midgame and a way stronger endgame. It might be really dumb, but right now I feel like I'd pick him over Pyramad and I'd really have to think about it with Toki.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Beasteh posted:

I'm running a similar list but I cut dragonbane and the unleash for 2x animal companion, PS your list is 31 cards

grats on legend!

It’s 1 scrap shot if it’s the VS list. VS keep saying how good Dragonbane is and they have Data so I’ll trust them.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Blasmeister posted:

It’s 1 scrap shot if it’s the VS list. VS keep saying how good Dragonbane is and they have Data so I’ll trust them.

Yup! I edited my original post. Only 1x Scrap Shot.

Dragonbane is insanely good. The power is obviously great but the 3/5 body also chips in more than you'd initially think.

Beasteh
Feb 12, 2012

I'M QUESTIONING MY EXISTENCE AND THIS IDIOT JUST WANTS TO PEE OFF A WALL

I just don't feel like crafting a legendary for a single class/deck since the dust conversion rate is so atrociously bad and blizz will never budge on it

fanny packrat
Mar 24, 2018

AnacondaHL posted:

No, Toxic Reinforcements is a core card.

If you have the Galakrond's Awakening package and Stormhammers, you can play the Dragon package instead which is just as good at an equally low dust cost.

BTW, this is the best mix of flex cards I came up with for Face Hunter: Drawing two Unleashes felt really bad, and Scrap Shot was more flexible to bail you out of awkward draws (along with the stats showing a slight edge in performance over Unleash):

### BoarFace
# Class: Hunter
# Format: Standard
# Year of the Phoenix
#
# 2x (1) Arcane Shot
# 2x (1) Blazing Battlemage
# 2x (1) Dwarven Sharpshooter
# 2x (1) Stonetusk Boar
# 2x (1) Toxic Reinforcements
# 2x (1) Tracking
# 2x (2) Explosive Trap
# 2x (2) Imprisoned Felmaw
# 2x (2) Kobold Sandtrooper
# 2x (2) Phase Stalker
# 2x (2) Scavenger's Ingenuity
# 2x (3) Eaglehorn Bow
# 2x (3) Kill Command
# 1x (3) Unleash the Hounds
# 1x (4) Dragonbane
# 2x (4) Scrap Shot
#
AAECAR8C2wmHsAMOqALJBIgF7QaXCP4M86cD+a4D+68D/K8DhbADorkD+boD/7oDAA==
#
# To use this deck, copy it to your clipboard and create a new deck in Hearthstone
# Generated by HDT - https://hsreplay.net

edit: yep, in my first try at a Warrior/Warlock/Hunter conquest lineup the Hunter got banned lmao

Any tips on how to play the Felmaw? I don't think I've ever had a turn where I wanted to play it, so far it's been a card I play because I don't have anything else to do. Thinking about swapping it for another secret to reduce further the chances of drawing Patches.

edit: looked at VS, which obviously I should have done first. keep in mulligan, play early, no ragrets.

fanny packrat fucked around with this message at 02:02 on May 11, 2020

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
Yes also requesting felmaw facehunter tips. Mulligans etc.

Just started running it. Exact lethal with boar vs DH. That'll do pig

Xguard86 fucked around with this message at 01:45 on May 11, 2020

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

I don’t regularly play Hunter but I was under the impression you open palm slam Imprisoned Felmaw onto the table ASAP.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Yeah especially because that thing always goes face even if I've got 5 guys on the board

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Promoted Pawn posted:

I don’t regularly play Hunter but I was under the impression you open palm slam Imprisoned Felmaw onto the table ASAP.

Very much this.

Here are Imprisoned Felmaw's card statistics, left graph showing how often it's played on a turn, and right graph showing your winrate when played on that turn:

Reminder that the auto attack does trigger secrets, so keep that in mind when considering Explosive Trap or Rogue's various BS

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

Power of Pecota posted:

Has anyone else played around with Merps' strategy for Fungalmancer Flurgl in Battlegrounds? (Basically stay on Tier 1 for a few turns to build up a core of murlocs, then rush to tier 3 and 5 to cycle and buff them up)

My Flurgl finishes were two 8th places before I tried that, since I started playing him that way it's been 3rd, 7th, 3rd, 1st and that's with some big learning experience mistakes along the way.

I did this, and I'm improving on Flurgl, but i collapse at Tier 3 because I can't find Coldlight Seers or Felfin Navigators. It does seem better than the usual way of playing though.

CRAYON
Feb 13, 2006

In the year 3000..

https://playhearthstone.com/en-us/news/23418923

Deck Ordering is something I've been wanting for a very long time.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Vashj seems weak, maiev seems potentially good (you get the minion which is pretty sick), kael'thas seems op.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Maiev seems really good, but I can see her hero power being a liability locking down a tavern slot and unlike Yogg it is very, very slow

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm really excited to play with Maeiv (dormant units block a Tavern slot, right?), not so much on the other two. I can already picture getting a really lovely 1/2 star tavern right when I want to level to 5 or something with Vashj and eating poo poo to a 4/4 rat pack and hyena on 5 gold against Kael'thas.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

CRAYON posted:

Thank God, I have been wanting that forever too because my weird brain wants my class selection screen to be in a certain layout (which I think just literally is the 'order that I tried the classes out in 2014') and for years I've been needing to delete and remake entire sets of decks in order to keep my screen straight. It's also why I end up deleting all my decks right before each expansion launches.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Firebert posted:

Maiev seems really good, but I can see her hero power being a liability locking down a tavern slot and unlike Yogg it is very, very slow
It's somewhat comparable to rafaam. Actually, comparing it to rafaam it's kind of insane.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

The T1 beast doesn't look great generally, but I think it's a meaningful buff to Rat King's early game, starting out the game with a 4/3 beast that scales is pretty nice if you hit it plus a lot of T2 things you want to be buying are deathrattles (Spawn, Rat Pack, Harvest Golem, Imprisoner).

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

The thing with Maiev is that I can’t wrap my head around when you’re supposed to be using her power. Early game seems like too much of a liability, mid game... okay, maybe then, and late-game it’s way undertuned and too slow to be worth it.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

The thing with Maiev is that I can’t wrap my head around when you’re supposed to be using her power. Early game seems like too much of a liability, mid game... okay, maybe then, and late-game it’s way undertuned and too slow to be worth it.

imo the way to go will be to treat it like Rafaam in the early game (Level on 6 and 7 gold so you can hero power turns 2, 3, and 4 and get a lot of poo poo) and use it to grab pairs in the midgame to set up for triples.

Lategame I think you're right that it's not great, but I like the idea of locking in a Zapp or something as a tech when you think you might need it in a few turns.

E: One thing I could see with Maeiv is if a dormant unit only took up a reroll spot on tier 6 and the tavern otherwise expanded out so you didn't lose the value there. You probably don't want to use that hero power on tier 6 anyway

Power of Pecota fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 11, 2020

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I would expect dormant minions not to get shuffled, if that's the case it's really good but otherwise it seems terrible. Kael seems like a worse Daryl but maybe with the right gameplay it would be as strong (considering DD is T1).

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

CRAYON posted:

gah, and I just got used to flipping decks back and forth between Standard and Wild to do this manually! :downs:

Vashj looks good (compare to Elise/Galakrond, that's pretty good value through the entire game, should be an above par hero at least)

Maiev looks awful (compare to Yogg/Rafaam, way too slow and not enough impact vs just leveling up and finding a vanilla higher-tier unit, not to mention all the opportunity cost lost due to having -1 board slot for all rolls the following turn, assuming that's how it works, not to mention having 2 dormant minions blocking two slots... wow this is just getting worse)

Kaelthas looks subpar (compare to Sindragosa and a very worse Edwin and Rat King, not seeing this work better than a Tier 3 hero)

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
So, does Vashj upgrade work on the current minion's tier? So it like a board-wide Galakrond? At the very least, you'll never get hosed by a 5 or 6 mana turn with all 1 star minions. I think she could be good.

Maiv. . .eh, 2 turns is an eternity. Seems like this should cost 0 mana.

I think Kael will be decent. The boost isn't as good as other heroes, but you get it passively and it's tribe agnostic.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible
Did a streamer or someone on reddit popularize an OTK hunter deck? I've run into it several times today, and it looks really fun.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
If Nine Lives is cast on Augmented Porcupine it would presumably do 2 damage, right?

I wonder if Teron and Nine Lives could work together to make a deathrattle hunter or if it'd be too slow.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

TyrantWD posted:

Did a streamer or someone on reddit popularize an OTK hunter deck? I've run into it several times today, and it looks really fun.

I saw one with Hippogryph as the finisher. I got God-drawed on by this one, couldn't even get mad about it.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
It still blows my mind how cards like Coilfang Warlord aren't good enough to run.

HL DH is fun though, even if it's not good.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.

AnacondaHL posted:

Vashj looks good (compare to Elise/Galakrond, that's pretty good value through the entire game, should be an above par hero at least)

Maiev looks awful (compare to Yogg/Rafaam, way too slow and not enough impact vs just leveling up and finding a vanilla higher-tier unit, not to mention all the opportunity cost lost due to having -1 board slot for all rolls the following turn, assuming that's how it works, not to mention having 2 dormant minions blocking two slots... wow this is just getting worse)

This sounds funny because you are comparing Vashj to one of the worse heroes (Galakrond) and Maiev to two of the best heroes. I'll have to give Maiev a try, but I think she's mid tier.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Eeepies posted:

This sounds funny because you are comparing Vashj to one of the worse heroes (Galakrond) and Maiev to two of the best heroes. I'll have to give Maiev a try, but I think she's mid tier.
I'm with this guy. Minion discounts have been very very strong so far so even the weakest version of it sounds aight.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012
I can only assume they released a patch last night, as the game is an embarassing buggy mess this morning.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Eeepies posted:

I meant to say Vashj's HP can be thought of as a combination of Elise and Galakrond, so overall looks slightly better than Elise and miles better than Galakrond.

Also a more apt comparison for Maiev is Sindragosa, who was playable pre-dragons but is awful in the current meta. The window of time where the HP could be good passes too quickly, again because just Tiering Up and buying a vanilla unit from the next tier is a much better use of your time and gold.

I predict the moment everyone sees the blocked Tavern spot in all their rolls (even worse I'm assuming the turn it comes out of dormant you don't get a new unit in that slot on the initial roll), everyone will turn sour on Maiev very quickly.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

it's kind of funny that after watching HS, Eternal, and now MTG try over and over with deckbuilding restriction cards often with disastrous results none of them were as fun or balanced within the meta as the OG Reno Jackson. Zephrys is the only competition.

DrOgreface
Jun 22, 2013

His Evil Never Sleeps
Zephrys is cool but buggy now. He’s screwed me over multiple times lately not offering Arcane Explosion (and giving Whirlwind instead) and also not offering Backstab to clear battlefiends.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
I was looking up decks and I have to ask why I keep seeing decks with lots of doubles running things like Alexstrasa and Zephyris.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I was looking up decks and I have to ask why I keep seeing decks with lots of doubles running things like Alexstrasa and Zephyris.
If your deck draws enough cards (Warlock, Demon Hunter, some Rogue) it doesn't matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Because they plan to draw enough of their deck every game by either playing load of card draw or being so controlling that they can afford to hold a dead card until the late game when it will activate