Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ewiley posted:

Wait, are you actually saying the Obama whitehouse’s intel investigations were bogus or just summarizing what Trump is blathering about? Per this ABC story, unmasking requests are permitted to enlighten the inquiry if required and requested by senior intel officials.

I think it’d be highly relevant to unmask members of an incoming administration if they’re specifically under investigation for suspected espionage. Like ‘hey you have moles in your staff and here they are’ before they get access to classified info would under a normal administration be a good thing to pass along but because everything is stupid and hyper politicized it becomes a scandal. The election was over, if the investigations were really just to try to screw with politics it would have been dropped in early November?

E: oh duh i just realized who I’m responding to nvm.

He thinks unmasking is scandalous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

BTW speaking of people getting mysterious Trump campaign texts and emails, every day I'm freshly floored to see that this whole charade is little more than a merchandising campaign for Trump and his cronies

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

Data Graham posted:

BTW speaking of people getting mysterious Trump campaign texts and emails, every day I'm freshly floored to see that this whole charade is little more than a merchandising campaign for Trump and his cronies

The optics of a "Trump Army" are marvelous too.

IBroughttheFunk
Sep 28, 2012

Different factory - the one that makes the PPE is in Marcus Hook, PA. Still, let's definitely not forgot that a PPE factory did not want the president to come for genuine concerns of contamination. From the president.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Don't mock, Mnoba likes his new hat.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

pacerhimself posted:

He thinks unmasking is scandalous.

I mean, unmasking is a pretty big deal, it's not really illegal but I'd argue it is a violation of rights we shouldn't completely ignore just because it happened to a bad person

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Mnoba posted:

house intel oops

DOJ could have done that yes, and it would turn out just like the Clinton investigation or the Mueller investigation a political poo poo show. Instead, Barr put Durham on it.

The AG should not be directing these investigations, he’s a political appointee who is absolutely going to turn it into a political shitshow. If there was an investigation to be had it should originate in the IG or have an appointed special counsel, that’s what the IG is for.

I’m still not seeing any political scandal beyond ‘that former official did some things they’re allowed to do under law but i don’t like it’.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Dumb ol’ bore’s Army.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

ewiley posted:

The AG should not be directing these investigations, he’s a political appointee who is absolutely going to turn it into a political shitshow. If there was an investigation to be had it should originate in the IG or have an appointed special counsel, that’s what the IG is for.

I’m still not seeing any political scandal beyond ‘that former official did some things they’re allowed to do under law but i don’t like it’.

pretty much, it's honestly a pretty shady thing and a great example of how unchecked our intel apparatuses are that they're able to get a massive amount of power because one dude heard someone maybe did something kinda sketchy but none of that is actually illegal and it's an unchecked 'security' apparatus that the political elite have been supporting for ages so nothing's going to be done about it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
it is gonna suck a ton of rear end when dems reflexively defend Obama with 'actually our surveillance state is good' yet again, though, but that's not new.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

ewiley posted:

This is true yes, but the choosing of well respected investigators byboth side of the isle (Durham and Jensen) negates this. If everything was above board and done by the books, then everyone has to respect that.

The alternative however is pretty dire I think everyone here would agree.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

superjew posted:

Dumb ol’ bore’s Army.

I must admit, read another book and all, but that's the first thing that popped into my mind too.

pacerhimself
Dec 30, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
I also guarantee people directly appointed by Trump are abusing the very same things that he actively whines about all day.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Data Graham posted:

You passed this information on they're gonna give you splinters with their wooden Browning M2s.

ewiley
Jul 9, 2003

More trash for the trash fire

Mnoba posted:

This is true yes, but the choosing of well respected investigators byboth side of the isle (Durham and Jensen) negates this. If everything was above board and done by the books, then everyone has to respect that.

The alternative however is pretty dire I think everyone here would agree.

No? The DOJ IG already litigated the Russia investigation, found a couple of low-level problems and that’s it. This whole bullshit OMBABMABGATE is just more distraction from actual issues.

The IG and special counsel exist to side-step political appointee shenanigans, as weak as they are, without going through those Barr has total control to do whatever he wants, regardless of how ‘well respected’ the investigators are.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

I hope everyone is ready to find out how Roberts will get Trump off the hook

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1260193004842696704?s=21

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
The President of the United States.

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1260158343756341249

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

ewiley posted:

No? The DOJ IG already litigated the Russia investigation, found a couple of low-level problems and that’s it. This whole bullshit OMBABMABGATE is just more distraction from actual issues.

The IG and special counsel exist to side-step political appointee shenanigans, as weak as they are, without going through those Barr has total control to do whatever he wants, regardless of how ‘well respected’ the investigators are.

Durham and co aren't investigating russiagate, they are investigating what LEAD to russiagate.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

https://twitter.com/CNNPolitics/status/1260190516504940546

:getin:

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

FlamingLiberal posted:

I hope everyone is ready to find out how Roberts will get Trump off the hook

https://twitter.com/scotusblog/status/1260193004842696704?s=21

In a 5-4 decision....

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!
https://mobile.twitter.com/markets/status/1260186609191923712

Here's your reminder that deficit hawks and inflation scolds are the same people who are working towards the same goal: trapping people in poverty to avoid even a hint of erosion of their own buying power.

pacerhimself posted:

I also guarantee people directly appointed by Trump are abusing the very same things that he actively whines about all day.
No, come now, Republicans abhor government overreach and seek to safeguard our civil li:lol::lol::lol:

https://mobile.twitter.com/NoahShachtman/status/1259955110089809921

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/11/politics/mitch-mcconnell-barack-obama-coronavirus-response/index.html

McConnell is a pathetic lump in a vague human shape.

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

Mnoba posted:

Durham and co aren't investigating russiagate, they are investigating what LEAD to russiagate.

specifically, someone leaked flynn's calls to the wapo, the unmasking is one of the problems. The unmasking of intelligence by senior officials is common and has rules.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/why-did-obama-dawdle-on-russias-hacking/2017/01/12/75f878a0-d90c-11e6-9a36-1d296534b31e_story.html

*edit* the unmasking is a side problem i meant so changed.

Mnoba fucked around with this message at 14:26 on May 12, 2020

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Paracaidas posted:

Here's your reminder that deficit hawks and inflation scolds are the same people who are working towards the same goal: trapping people in poverty to avoid even a hint of erosion of their own buying power.

Isn't inflation going down a good thing?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/12/politics/donald-trump-coronavirus-reelection/index.html

lol even cnn is mocking him now.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

BigBallChunkyTime posted:

No. Steady, controlled inflation is a good thing and is a sign of a healthy economy. The fed likes to keep it around 2%, IIRC. That chart shows inflation going negative.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inflation_targeting

Edit: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deflation

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:37 on May 12, 2020

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo
:lol:

https://twitter.com/Acyn/status/1260050135175753730

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

It's amazing, he just kept dunking and dunking and dunking, till she defeatedly goes "well we're gonna have to leave it there"

They obviously expected a different answer. Do they not vet the guests?

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

Monetary theory says that a constant inflation rate of roughly 2% is ideal. What it does is it allows the economy to build its contracts around a relatively reliable inflation rate. This allows things like interest rates to intelligently calculate the value of money 10 years 15 years in the future and so on. If the inflation rate drops below the expected inflation rate then it hurts people who are in debt because the debt obtained on the assumption of a 2% inflation rate ie that your dollar would be worth less 10 years or 15 years down the line. As such you paid a higher interest rate upfront because of that. An interest rate that's around 2% also tends to encourage money to continue to flow in the economy. If it's too low or even deflationary then it encourages people to save money or essentially stuff it in their mattress rather than spending it on goods and services in the economy.

Since money is just a means of exchange and doesn't really have any inherent value in it stuffing it away in your mattress doesn't really improve the lives of people.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Mnoba posted:

What the gently caress is "Russiagate"? You mean the legitimate investigation into whether the President received political aid and interference from Russia (He did) that Republican led Senate Intel Committee came out and said happened? The numerous prosecutions, arrests, and cooperating witnesses from the Trump campaign? Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, etc.

Seriously dude, you realize you live in an alternate reality entirely detached from our own right? Barr is a political hack at best and one of the current greatest dangers to the Republic today at his worst. Just a complete toady and demagogue on every level

And if you consider Devin Nunes as some arbiter of truth then dude just go out and get some air, your brain is dying from lack of oxygen

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 15:04 on May 12, 2020

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

According to the Very Serious People who worry about such things, any government policy designed to increase government spending, adjust for reduced consumer demand, or (heaven help us) directly give aid to Americans will set off runaway inflation.

As the tweet shows, we're clearly on the brink of that. So despite the crisis we find ourselves in, now is the time prophylactic fiscal responsibility.

Craig K
Nov 10, 2016

puck

TulliusCicero posted:

Seriously dude, you realize you live in an alternate reality entirely detached from our own right?

yes, he is a trump-supporting republican in 2020

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Nitrousoxide posted:

Monetary theory says that a constant inflation rate of roughly 2% is ideal. What it does is it allows the economy to build its contracts around a relatively reliable inflation rate. This allows things like interest rates to intelligently calculate the value of money 10 years 15 years in the future and so on. If the inflation rate drops below the expected inflation rate then it hurts people who are in debt because the debt obtained on the assumption of a 2% inflation rate ie that your dollar would be worth less 10 years or 15 years down the line. As such you paid a higher interest rate upfront because of that. An interest rate that's around 2% also tends to encourage money to continue to flow in the economy. If it's too low or even deflationary then it encourages people to save money or essentially stuff it in their mattress rather than spending it on goods and services in the economy.

Since money is just a means of exchange and doesn't really have any inherent value in it stuffing it away in your mattress doesn't really improve the lives of people.

It also leads to poo poo like banks offering negative interest rates on savings accounts because otherwise they'll bleed money, so now nobody wants to keep their money in banks, so they bleed money anyways.

It's also a bad sign because the cause of deflation is people not being willing to spend money.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Trump will take this as a personal insult and is gonna tweetstorm how Pence, a low-energy loser, begged him like a dog to get the VP seat and is doing a TERRIBLE job in Indiana :allears:

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

No. At least as I read that chart, it dropped so much we currently have deflation which is insanely bad for an economy.

You want, as someone pointed out, about 2% inflation per year. There are a lot of reasons for it, but the simplest is the same reason deflation is bad: you want a slight prod to have money used for productive investments, not hoarded. If I have $100k, that should be invested rather than put under a mattress. But if there's deflation, i am actually "paid" to stick it under my mattress (and i am incentivized to avoid buying today what i can buy tomorrow, because it'll be cheaper then).

It is also relevant because very low inflation means that you have a ton of room to deficit spend/print money to salvage the economy.

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

evilweasel posted:

No. At least as I read that chart, it dropped so much we currently have deflation which is insanely bad for an economy.

You want, as someone pointed out, about 2% inflation per year. There are a lot of reasons for it, but the simplest is the same reason deflation is bad: you want a slight prod to have money used for productive investments, not hoarded. If I have $100k, that should be invested rather than put under a mattress. But if there's deflation, i am actually "paid" to stick it under my mattress (and i am incentivized to avoid buying today what i can buy tomorrow, because it'll be cheaper then).

It is also relevant because very low inflation means that you have a ton of room to deficit spend/print money to salvage the economy.

So what I'm reading here, DOW to shoot up to 40k by June?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Paracaidas posted:

Did we just go deflationary? I know that everything is too chaotic to read much into anything economic right now beyond "poo poo it is hosed up," but that would be superbad.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

Did we just go deflationary? I know that everything is too chaotic to read much into anything economic right now beyond "poo poo it is hosed up," but that would be superbad.

The chart literally says yes. We're at about -5% annualized inflation.

Edit: better chart:

KillHour fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 12, 2020

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

BigglesSWE posted:

Trump will take this as a personal insult and is gonna tweetstorm how Pence, a low-energy loser, begged him like a dog to get the VP seat and is doing a TERRIBLE job in Indiana :allears:

I read it the other way, that pissbaby screamed at someone to keep Pence the gently caress away from him in case he's carrying the Rona. He clearly doesn't want to get sick from it, even while he tantrums and refuses to take it seriously or wear a mask. Like any toddler he wants it both ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mnoba
Jun 24, 2010

TulliusCicero posted:

What the gently caress is "Russiagate"? You mean the legitimate investigation into whether the President received political aid and interference from Russia (He did) that Republican led Senate Intel Committee history came out and said happened? The numerous prosecutions, arrests, and cooperating witnesses from the Trump campaign? Roger Stone, Paul Manafort, etc.

Seriously dude, you realize you live in an alternate reality entirely detached from our own right? Barr is a political hack at best and one of the current greatest dangers to the the Republic today at his worst. Just a complete toady and demagogue on every level

And if you consider Devin Nunes as some arbiter of truth then dude just go out and get some air, your brain is dying from lack of oxygen

Roger Stone and Paul Manafort are all that is left, the first with lying and the second with stuff from 2011 neither have anything to do with Russia. Flynn was dropped, the 20 misc russians was dropped when they showed up to court. I guess we will see what they turn up, but it's interesting Obama suddenly makes an appearance in the news after 4 years with a "leak" don't you think?