Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Okay, so maybe I just hate Burger King? I had a meat sandwich of some kind in Korea and I remember the bun was the consistency of a yoga mat.

I can't tell if it's eating a hole in my guts or if it's just my period arriving, but either way, THERE WILL BE BLOOD

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Okay, so maybe I just hate Burger King? I had a meat sandwich of some kind in Korea and I remember the bun was the consistency of a yoga mat.

That's Subway's speciality

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

That's Subway's speciality

Oh, poo poo, I remember that. Supposedly it's been phased out now.

What I mostly think about when I think of Subway is that my friend who used to work there always smelled like that quick-rise vomit bread, and she said that there were holes in the gloves so the pickle juice would get in and then finger cooties would mix with the pickle juice.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day
you didn't let the beyond-burg properly off-gas before consuming? Did you even read the hazmat placard before you purchased it? It clearly states 4/4/4/W .

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I had a beyond burger from Backyard Burgers, I think, and it was ok, just had that sort of weird extra seasoning a lot of plant-based burgers get, like they add cumin or something in there and I don't know why because meat doesn't taste like that, at all. Maybe that's what's loving you up? The impossible burger from Red Robin was better, tasted more like a burger but not really like meat if that makes sense. Like the diet Dr. Pepper of burgers. You can tell it's not the same but it's fine anyway.

Anyway, the best plant based substitute I've ever had was the cauliflower tempura from P.F. Chang's. I don't even really like cauliflower but I could eat them all day, every day. They were legit better than fried chicken chunks, if you're comparing fried things to fried things.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Every since I was a kid I remember Burger King's burgers tasting weird and "off"

I would be all excited going in there after like a soccer game or something, "oh boy, burgers! There's a Burger King!" And then we'd get it and it would be ... um ... not right

Then the memory would fade with time, and a year later I would again think "Oh hey, there's a Burger King, that might hit the spot!" and the same thing would happen again. "That tastes ... uh ... kinda wrong"

Something like 15 years went by at one point in my life between these BK incidents, and yet the most recent one happened once again exactly the same way, I like nostalgia making me feel like I'm 10 again but not like this ... not like this

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My parents love Burger King, so every road trip, we'd have Burger King :smith:

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/ephwinslow/status/1260195142725754880?s=21

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
My dad also has this weird impression that the only reason I like one version of food over another is that I should just add sugar.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

"I mean, there's absolutely no chance this is going to work. Absolutely none."

How can a person live and breath yet be so terminally incompetent?

e, Holy poo poo the rest of the cook is incredible:

quote:

The little pillow now mostly built, he pours more sugar on top of it and then produces the top half of a bun, which he hollows out, places it on top of the rest of whatever the hell this thing is, and…begins burning the top of the bun with the giant novelty lighter. “I’m just gonna do the initials.…”

“You look like you’re cooking meth,” I say, because he does.

“I’m really trying to sell this company. I’m doing this for my brand.”

At this point, he accidentally ignites one of his latex gloves, which promptly melts onto his palm. He yells in pain. Then he gingerly holds up the finished product: some approximation of a P, followed by a C, for Piccolini Cuscino, burned into the top of a hamburger bun.

He starts wrapping the whole thing up with more aluminum foil, and then compacts it, and then wraps it some more, and then squeezes it again. Suddenly he stops: “Can you actually put foil in an oven?”

I say yes, you can, but what you absolutely cannot do is put foil in a microwave. And he says cool, cool, and then he goes looking for his oven, which he’s never used before, and this is a nice house, so there are multiple options, and the one he settles on, well: It looks like another microwave to me. He assures me it is not.

“I reckon probably…10 minutes?”

He puts the aluminum sphere, the little pillow, into what he thinks is an oven and I think is a microwave. He attempts to turn it on. “I actually knew how to do this before,” he tells me. “I literally did this yesterday. And now it’s just impossible. It’s going to look like I can’t cook at all.”

He fumbles at some more buttons. “Oh, oh, oh,” he says, excitedly now. “A thousand watts, there you go.”

Proudly he is walking back toward the counter that his phone is on when, behind him, a lightning bolt erupts from the oven/microwave, and Pattinson ducks like someone outside has opened fire. He’s giggling and crouching as the oven throws off stray flickers of light and sound.

“The loving electricity…oh, my God,” he says, still on the floor. And then, with a loud, final bang, the oven/microwave goes dark.

In the silence, Pattinson and I both stare at the mysterious piece of machinery built into the wall behind him.

“Yeah, I think I have to leave that alone,” he says, sighing again, picking himself off the floor. “But that is a Piccolini Cuscino.”

LifeSunDeath has a new favorite as of 15:42 on May 12, 2020

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Holy poo poo, it's a good thing he's cute.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

The entire article is a loving trip. This guy just accidentally became a celebrity and doesn't give a poo poo.

quote:

Pattinson: Yesterday I was just googling, I was going on YouTube to see how to microwave pasta. [laughs]

GQ: That’s not a thing.
Put it in a bowl and microwave it. That is how to microwave pasta. And also it really, really isn’t a thing. It’s really actually quite revolting. But I mean, who would have thought that it actually makes it taste disgusting?

How are you actually surviving?
I’m essentially on a meal plan for Batman. Thank God. I don’t know what I’d be doing other than that. But I mean, yeah, other than—I can survive. I’ll have oatmeal with, like, vanilla protein powder on it. And I will barely even mix it up. It’s extraordinarily easy. Like, I eat out of cans and stuff. I’ll literally put Tabasco inside a tuna can and just eat it out of the can.

You’ve been training all your life for this, apparently.
I… It is weird, but my preferences are…just sort of eat like a wild animal. [laughs] Like, out of a trash can.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
It's a shame he became known for the Twilight series because he would probably be up there with Keanu for internet love if it'd been something else.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

chitoryu12 posted:

The entire article is a loving trip. This guy just accidentally became a celebrity and doesn't give a poo poo.

:piss:

Fashionably Great
Jul 10, 2008
I've been a vegetarian since 2003, and Burger King was the first major fast food joint to release a veggie burger. The first iteration was :gonk: but honestly, it was enough to hit the spot and as a teen, it was something that helped me feel "normal" because I could eat a burger like the rest of the team. Mostly it just felt like they put 2x the amount of mayo to cover up the taste.

They later released a better version and now have the Impossible Whopper in the states which is halfway decent. Still, I prefer a black bean burger or something that isn't trying to pretend to be meat.

It is much easier to be vegetarian now. Back then, this was about the only fake meat that I could find:

And it was pretty awful. It was all like vegetarian spam, just shaped differently.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

I feel like there must be a huge quality control problem with Beyond Burgers, because some people seem to find them absolutely fine and other people find them disgusting - but not necessarily in the same way each time.

The time I tried Beyond Burgers posted:

Raw, they smell like cat food. That smell disappeared when they were cooked, fortunately.

They certainly look like meat. But they taste like... very little. The one word I would use to describe them is bland. If you want two words, very bland. I thought maybe they just needed salt, but rather than bringing out any flavour in the burger it just made it taste a bit salty.

There was a hint of something familiar - I was vaguely reminded of eggs - but the closest thing I could compare them to are the absolute cheapest supermarket sausages. The ones that are composed entirely of gristle, fat and sawdust. I think if you gave them to someone who didn't know what they were, they'd probably think they were made of meat, but they'd wonder why you served them such low quality burgers. Like, "Did I offend them? Are they broke? Do they just not know any better?"

Mine were from the supermarket and cooked by me in my house, so there's no blaming Burger King for that.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
https://twitter.com/YoniFreedhoff/s...ingawful.com%2F

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

Now, for some severe food abuse. Also, don't use freshly cooked rice for your fried rice, damnit.
https://www.instagram.com/p/B8ei1FUo4lM/?igshid=10l1x0tavuk8l

E: deleted being lovely

d3lness has a new favorite as of 16:47 on May 12, 2020

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Holy poo poo, it's a good thing he's cute.

wtf are you talking about this is why he's cute

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Pomp posted:

wtf are you talking about this is why he's cute

I laughed so hard when he said he stopped bathing to keep Twihards away. (And I felt pretty bad for him!)

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

If you don't mayo-load, pre and post, you'll never get gainz.

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Iron Crowned posted:

Frozen meals tell you to leave it in the microwave for 1-3 minutes so you can't sue them for steam burns.

There's reason that everything has a million warnings on the package, yet there will always be someone who stumbles through the holes, and occasionally someone who leaps headfirst through them.

No you let food rest to make sure everything has come to an even temperature. The instructions on the package are because people that understand the concept generally aren't eating microwave meals. You're mixing that up with the excuse McDonald's made up after they ignored people telling them their coffee was too hot until a coffee spill melted someone's vagina shut.

d3lness
Feb 19, 2011

Unicorns are metal. Gundanium alloy to be exact...

rodbeard posted:

No you let food rest to make sure everything has come to an even temperature. The instructions on the package are because people that understand the concept generally aren't eating microwave meals. You're mixing that up with the excuse McDonald's made up after they ignored people telling them their coffee was too hot until a coffee spill melted someone's vagina shut.

I still can't believe that they kept coffee that loving hot. It also bothers me that a striking majority think it was her fault for spilling the coffee because that's how media outlets were all representing it.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

d3lness posted:

I still can't believe that they kept coffee that loving hot. It also bothers me that a striking majority think it was her fault for spilling the coffee because that's how media outlets were all representing it.

It's because McDonalds spent a gazillion dollars to smear that lady...she had 3rd degree burns all over her crotch and almost died of sepsis in hospital...it was not a minor loving burn...but people still act like she was trying to win lawsuit lottery.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

LifeSunDeath posted:

It's because McDonalds spent a gazillion dollars to smear that lady...she had 3rd degree burns all over her crotch and almost died of sepsis in hospital...it was not a minor loving burn...but people still act like she was trying to win lawsuit lottery.

It's one of those pet peeves of mine that I can't stop myself from refuting every time I see an idiot friend on Facebook or whatever post about it. It's enraging.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

TheAardvark posted:

It's one of those pet peeves of mine that I can't stop myself from refuting every time I see an idiot friend on Facebook or whatever post about it. It's enraging.

I treated people in a burn unit off and on for a year...I know what bad burns look like and how they kill people, and how horrible the recovery is...it makes me really mad that people believe what mcdonalds told them to believe...and by extension that americans complain about being an "nanny state" with warning labels on everything...it literally wouldn't be that way if companies didn't sell you lethal products, with your only recourse being lawsuits.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/jocelynseip/status/1260002410325368832?s=21

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

chitoryu12 posted:

Pattinson posted:

Like, I eat out of cans and stuff. I’ll literally put Tabasco inside a tuna can and just eat it out of the can.

There is nothing wrong with this practice :colbert:

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

TotalLossBrain posted:

There is nothing wrong with this practice :colbert:

:yeah:

Hell, when I was working 3 jobs, sometimes that was all I had time to do.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

I already told you guys about the Dad Burrito, but to reiterate: refried beans and hot sauce from a can ain't half bad.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

I mean... coleslaw at the store is just a bag of pre-chopped cabbage, so this isn't really that absurd.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

The Witcher's Joey Batey makes a Witcher-themed cake.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcN8GCcAAkI

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

I already told you guys about the Dad Burrito, but to reiterate: refried beans and hot sauce from a can ain't half bad.

I worked with a guy a couple years, and everyday for lunch he ate half can of Goya black beans, microwaved with a bunch of Cholula chipotle flavor hot sauce, and eaten with a pita.

Every day. No variation.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

Dewgy posted:

I mean... coleslaw at the store is just a bag of pre-chopped cabbage, so this isn't really that absurd.

Cabbage, raw corn and ranch dressing is normal for you eh

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DrBouvenstein posted:

I worked with a guy a couple years, and everyday for lunch he ate half can of Goya black beans, microwaved with a bunch of Cholula chipotle flavor hot sauce, and eaten with a pita.

Every day. No variation.

I mean, every day is a bit weird, but seems decent enough to me. I work with a guy who for the first year I worked there ate nothing but Pepperoni flavored Bagel Bites. The next year it was nothing but pepperoni pizza Hot Pockets. This year he's switched to Red Barron personal microwave pizza (Pepperoni flavor of course).

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

For the people that say hunger is the best sauce, I must ask have you tried... chronic depression?

Can o' refried beans, tortillas and hot sauce from Aldi, if you're feeling frisky go ahead and microwave them beans. For a special occasion, heat the tortilla and add shredded cheese.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

redgubbinz posted:

For the people that say hunger is the best sauce, I must ask have you tried... chronic depression?

Can o' refried beans, tortillas and hot sauce from Aldi, if you're feeling frisky go ahead and microwave them beans. For a special occasion, heat the tortilla and add shredded cheese.

I think that's just "tacos" in some parts of the US.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Hot sauce and beans are good depression (economic or mental health) tacos.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

zedprime posted:

Hot sauce and beans are good depression (economic or mental health) tacos.

A little sour cream and it'd be a solid dinner for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler