Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

I was looking up decks and I have to ask why I keep seeing decks with lots of doubles running things like Alexstrasa and Zephyris.

Card draw is at an all-time high right now.

Both combo and control decks can be built with this in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Does locking a unit with Maiev keep it stuck as one of your tavern slots? Because if so that seems trash

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.
Ohhhh. So it doesn't matter if your deck starts with doubles, as long as you are rid of them by the time you play those cards.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

MinionOfCthulhu posted:

Ohhhh. So it doesn't matter if your deck starts with doubles, as long as you are rid of them by the time you play those cards.

Funnily enough, some dev admitted somewhere that they had considered making the condition of the newer Highlander cards “if your deck started with no duplicates”, but ultimately decided against it.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Regalingualius posted:

Funnily enough, some dev admitted somewhere that they had considered making the condition of the newer Highlander cards “if your deck started with no duplicates”, but ultimately decided against it.

They clearly came down on the side of having a tech option available for deactivating highlander cards (Albatross generally, but also bombs). It's a bit of a trade-off.

If you make it a start of game check, it works against the high-draw decks that currently run it for late game. However, if your opponents deck was highlander, you couldn't do anything about it. It also means that highlander decks could shuffle in duplicate cards into their own deck freely without worrying about it (mostly applies to Rogues, but there are other cases from things like Psyche Split or Germination or Faceless on the first part of Prime cards).

If you have the current situation, high-draw decks can run both duplicates and highlander cards, but at least there is a way for you to affect that via shuffling things into their deck, and highlander decks have to be careful with any shuffle or duplication effects. I think I like the current situation better.

One thing I would like changed would be to remove Dragonqueen Alex from any Discover pool, not just her own. Being able to generate her off of the Explorer dragons is such a high roll right now.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 16:32 on May 12, 2020

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It was fringe enough to do with Reno and imo Zephrys because what they do vs aggro is so important so I'm ok with those. With DQ Alex it becomes a real consideration and IMO in a perfect world she specifically would be a start of game check (having multiple mechanics is kind of confusing for players so I can see why they didn't do it).

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

I will make camp on It Should Be Both Requirements, Your Deck Had At Start of Game And Currently Has No Duplicates Hill and none shall conquer me

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Kind of off topic, but I’m starting to think that Renew card for Priest is kind of broken.

Jolly Jumbuck
Mar 14, 2006

Cats like optical fibers.
One person brought up Arena, it would be hard to use Zephrys or DQ Alex or any Highlander card there. If you get it early you can avoid doubles, but if you get it late it may be unplayable if the condition were based on starting deck criteria instead of current deck state. Unplayable except as a vanilla minion that is.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Kind of off topic, but I’m starting to think that Renew card for Priest is kind of broken.

I know the stats don't back it up but priest still bugs me.

How many different heals and removals do I need to bust through while they assemble whatever giant pillow their deck has chosen to smother the last bit of fun out of the match?

Ulvino
Mar 20, 2009
Count me in for both the "rode the Boar to Legend for the first time, thanks quarantine" and "got Milhouse" camps.

:shepicide:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Nemsy the warlock alt hero is free from the store in HS right now so go grab it in case it's a mistake!

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

seems it's intentional, it's mentioned in the launcher. got her.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Gully Foyle posted:

They clearly came down on the side of having a tech option available for deactivating highlander cards (Albatross generally, but also bombs). It's a bit of a trade-off.

If you make it a start of game check, it works against the high-draw decks that currently run it for late game. However, if your opponents deck was highlander, you couldn't do anything about it. It also means that highlander decks could shuffle in duplicate cards into their own deck freely without worrying about it (mostly applies to Rogues, but there are other cases from things like Psyche Split or Germination or Faceless on the first part of Prime cards).

If you have the current situation, high-draw decks can run both duplicates and highlander cards, but at least there is a way for you to affect that via shuffling things into their deck, and highlander decks have to be careful with any shuffle or duplication effects. I think I like the current situation better.

One thing I would like changed would be to remove Dragonqueen Alex from any Discover pool, not just her own. Being able to generate her off of the Explorer dragons is such a high roll right now.

I played four Dragonqueen Alex one game, it was ridiculous.

Any sense of card changes incoming?

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

Firebert posted:

Nemsy the warlock alt hero is free from the store in HS right now so go grab it in case it's a mistake!

I hope they make more alt heros attainable. There's some cool ones you almost never see.

Even sell them for a reasonable price this time.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Noting with Nemsy, it's currently bugged. Once you unlock her you're stuck with her, can't swap back to Gul'dan.

Not exactly the worst bug, but I prefer Gul'dan :(

Blooming Brilliant fucked around with this message at 20:00 on May 12, 2020

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

ooo, hidden buff in the patch: the BG stats page now shows stuff like Divine Shield and Taunt

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Xguard86 posted:

I know the stats don't back it up but priest still bugs me.

How many different heals and removals do I need to bust through while they assemble whatever giant pillow their deck has chosen to smother the last bit of fun out of the match?

I’m pretty sure time will soon show Galakrond Control Priest to be at least a tier 2 deck, if not 1.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
beat a Wild Big Druid by getting t1 Twig off a Swashburglar

Just Tess Things

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Firebert posted:

Thanks!

Other tip that others may not know: search “extra” in your collection to find duplicates — including goldens! The default disenchant respects golden copies; “extra” will find them.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

One game playing Maeiv on a break from work and I can pretty confidently say that I was wrong, she sucks rear end and losing the rerolls is insanely brutal. She's slotting somewhere into tier 4 and I doubt I'm going to be playing her again.

On the bright side, that game was the first time I've noticed that I'm in the same lobby as a streamer - I tied with Dog's Elise on 6 gold and never got to play him again. (He finished 4th, I finished 6th)

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Noting with Nemsy, it's currently bugged. Once you unlock her you're stuck with her, can't swap back to Gul'dan.

Not exactly the worst bug, but I prefer Gul'dan :(

It let me keep Mecha jaraxxus as my favorite

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Power of Pecota posted:

One game playing Maeiv on a break from work and I can pretty confidently say that I was wrong, she sucks rear end and losing the rerolls is insanely brutal. She's slotting somewhere into tier 4 and I doubt I'm going to be playing her again.

On the bright side, that game was the first time I've noticed that I'm in the same lobby as a streamer - I tied with Dog's Elise on 6 gold and never got to play him again. (He finished 4th, I finished 6th)

I watched that live! :shobon: Also

AnacondaHL posted:

I predict the moment everyone sees the blocked Tavern spot in all their rolls (even worse I'm assuming the turn it comes out of dormant you don't get a new unit in that slot on the initial roll), everyone will turn sour on Maiev very quickly.

I tried warning y'all :smugdog:

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Snazzy Frocks posted:

It let me keep Mecha jaraxxus as my favorite

Huh? I've been stuck with her even after a client reset, weird.

Olpainless
Jun 30, 2003
... Insert something brilliantly witty here.
Filling up my wild rare and commons and got a Geosculptor Yip out of nowhere. Quite happy with that.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Power of Pecota posted:

You can re-roll and the imprisoned minions stay there.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Olpainless posted:

Filling up my wild rare and commons and got a Geosculptor Yip out of nowhere. Quite happy with that.

Awesome!

I'm really enjoying Wild currently. I haven't hit Diamond yet but it's been a really diverse ladder climb, lots of viable options.

Do think the top TOP decks are kind of ridiculous now, in the way Tier 1 eternal format decks are known for.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Chernabog posted:

You can re-roll and the imprisoned minions stay there.

Yeah, but if you have two hero powered units on say, tier 5 you're effectively only getting 60% of a reroll because the imprisoned minions stay parked in those two spots. As far as I'm concerned, AnacondaHL absolutely nailed it.

I managed to claw myself back up to 8.6k after starting off the patch with a 4-game losing streak (5, 6, 5, 7, 2, 2) and ironically the worst two games were the two new things I wanted to try (Maeiv, Rat King starting with the new beast). The latter was okay in the early game, but then I got annihilated by a Ysera with two Kalecgoses.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

Blooming Brilliant posted:

Awesome!

I'm really enjoying Wild currently. I haven't hit Diamond yet but it's been a really diverse ladder climb, lots of viable options.

Do think the top TOP decks are kind of ridiculous now, in the way Tier 1 eternal format decks are known for.

Im on the fence BC it's filled with a wide variety of degenerate combo and control decks which is good, but all those decks beat the poo poo out of my favourite degenerate mill decks which is bad. Reverted Raza priest feels so bad to play against but it's a great deck to play and build

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

I played three times as Maiev, got two 4ths and a 7th. One of the 4ths was a misplay and the second was just bad luck. The 7th was really bad luck on the tavern minions.
It seems like early game it is better to skip upgrades and once you have the imprisoned units rolling every turn you start to power level up to 4 or 5. In the late game you use the HP only on things that are good but not critical such as battlecry buffs. My mistake was using HP every turn to maximize my gold, which is good in the early game but not so much in the late game when you don't want to lock your rolls.
All in all she might be average but I like her because she play different than other heroes, you sort of have to play two turns ahead.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Updated BG hero evaluations:

Kaelthas is better than expected because I didn't actually expect them to implement a system that remembered your running count across multiple turns. So you get the bonus stats starting as early as turn 3 instead of needing 9 gold. This now seems good enough to keep up with the other Tier 2 heroes.

Vashj has some additional downside (compared to Elise) related to timing and freezing. Like holding the discover to not use it is valuable for Elise. And Vashj can't do the standard "I found the triple, so I'm freezing and upgrading the tavern, so I can triple next turn" play. The inconsistency likely drops Vashj into Tier 3.

Maiev memes have begun, but there are a few opening turn lines to fully explore before relegating into the dumpster.

Sir Finley got a minor nerf because these 3 subpar hero powers are already in the discover pool :laffo:

edit: also the new 3/1 Tier 1 lizard seems to be putting in work, but I haven't gotten a run with it yet. I can't wait to run it as my early Pyramad minion.

AnacondaHL fucked around with this message at 03:06 on May 13, 2020

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
The new beast is ugly AF

Voodoo
Jun 3, 2003

m2sbr what
I’m super late on this but being limited to 2 heroes has been brutal for my rating. Not much you can do when you get to pick between two garbage heroes.

Buying 25 packs should unlock at least a 3rd hero or something.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Yeah same. I keep rubber banding around 7000 because I'll get 3 or 4 runs in a row where I have to pick between Putricide and Wagtoggle or something. But I ain't spending 20 bucks on this.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

On days where I'm trying to cap gold I try to go for three wins with every class but wow Druid just has absolutely nothing good going for it right now. The 'best' deck for me seems to be Spell Druid where the goal is to have Glowfly Swarm on 4 and 5 and hope they don't have a second clear. I built a big Taunt Druid because it is supposedly good against Warrior but it doesn't seem to beat anything else.

Overgrowth seems like it might be a trap but there isn't really an alternate line of play for the class.

ultrachrist
Sep 27, 2008
I cracked 8k for the first time with 2 hero selections. I'm not too sore about it, post-millhouse nerf, because my wins/losses don't actually map to how good the heroes I am playing are. My most recent wins were a perfect game with Ysera (!) and a tight second place loss as Wagtoggle. Feels like my win/loss come down to:

1. Did I get a token?
2. Did my 5/6 mana turns give me complete poo poo?
3. Am I constantly ping-ponged between two tempo heroes?
4. Did my first / second triple give me anything worthwhile, especially if I am at 4 stars?
5. Do I lose a bunch of RNG coin flips that easily could have gone by way, putting me in lethal range far too early when I'm one piece away from a killer board?
6. Did everything seem to go well but then I am blown the gently caress out by some guy with a killer board that does 20 damage insanely early?

I still make obvious misplays, especially since I rarely give the game my full attention, so I'm still climbing. But man does the RNG feel worse the more I play.

Devo
Jul 9, 2001

:siren:Caught Cubs Posting:siren:
Also a couple more things as I've been playing for a while tonight. I'm seeing Kael'thas consistently towards the top of the leaderboards, and the one time I got him off a Finley was pretty solid. He's good. The Rabid Saurolisk is also pretty good if you grab it early. You're wanting to buy a bunch of deathrattle things early on anyway like Spawns and Bombs.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

The saurolisk is great with Daryl since you are going to be buying and selling bunch of stuff anyway.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

I'm curious how good Saurolisk is as a first unit for Pyramad. Like, if you have Wrath Weaver/Rabid Saurolisk/Fiendish Servant offered turn 1 so you can hero power and buff either way turn 2, you probably go Saurolisk to avoid early damage, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Saurolisk seems overtuned. A 3/1 is decent early and trades with the 2/3, and it grows very easily.