Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

I had a mini ITX machine built years ago (see specs below) and it no longer posts. Checked video card, RAM, and power supply. Board must be dead.

Question is, should I bother replacing the board, or just go with a new machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Mistikman posted:

Everything we know about the next generation of Nvidia GPUs is very much rumor at this point. Nvidia has a big announcement on May 15th that will likely give us some concrete information.

That said, the rumors are encouraging, and there is a good possibility there will be a good performance jump between the 20 series and the 30 series.

Given you are coming from a 970 though, there was a huge performance gap between the 9 and 10 series, so even if there wasn't a massive gap between the 10 and 20 series, getting a 2070 (starts around $400) to be comparable card to your 970 is going to literally double your performance, plus give you access to RTX and DLSS 2.0. If you can wait, you can probably get an even bigger bump in 6+ months, but you can get a huge boost right now.

thats good info. i'll probably wait until may 15 and see how people breakdown the info and consider my options then. thank you

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

No. 6 posted:

I had a mini ITX machine built years ago (see specs below) and it no longer posts. Checked video card, RAM, and power supply. Board must be dead.

Question is, should I bother replacing the board, or just go with a new machine?

Even if all you're doing is web browsing/word processing, a new budget build would be much, much snappier than your 10-year-old machine. Everything else in the computer is getting long in the tooth as well and the only option for replacement motherboards are now-old used boards off ebay, so if you can afford it a new computer would be best. If not, check ebay for H55 itx motherboards - there still seem to be a few available. Ebay has very good return policies - if you purchase a board that doesn't work you'll have 45 days to return it.

What do you use your computer for, and what would you like to use it for in the future?

jaffathegreat
Mar 1, 2009
What country are you in? Melbourne, Australia
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. Ideally AUD$1,800 ish
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I'd love Ultra/High graphics, monitor is an ASUS VE228H with specs as follows:

True Resolution : 1920x1080
Response Time : 5ms

My friend made the following build: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/dNTDNq

It's outside my price range and I'm wondering how I can get the price down without suffering too much of a graphical loss. My current computer (built from an ancient version of this thread) is circa 2012 and so, even though it runs games now, it chugs along on medium settings. Also, he uses parts which I don't see coming up much in this thread so I'm thinking I need to swap some stuff around. I don't mind pushing the budget to AUD$2000 if it will also include more SDD storage.

I don't care about looks/colours as it's going to sit on the floor under my desk. Pure function over form. I'm happy with an ATX case as portability/space under desk isn't a concern either.

demostars
Apr 8, 2020

jaffathegreat posted:

What country are you in? Melbourne, Australia
What are you using the system for? Web and Office? Gaming? Video or photo editing? Professional creative or scientific computing? Gaming
What's your budget? We usually specify for just the computer itself (plus Windows), but if you also need monitor/mouse/whatever, just say so. Ideally AUD$1,800 ish
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? How fancy do you want your graphics, from “it runs” to “Ultra preset as fast as possible”? I'd love Ultra/High graphics, monitor is an ASUS VE228H with specs as follows:

True Resolution : 1920x1080
Response Time : 5ms

My friend made the following build: https://au.pcpartpicker.com/list/dNTDNq

It's outside my price range and I'm wondering how I can get the price down without suffering too much of a graphical loss. My current computer (built from an ancient version of this thread) is circa 2012 and so, even though it runs games now, it chugs along on medium settings. Also, he uses parts which I don't see coming up much in this thread so I'm thinking I need to swap some stuff around. I don't mind pushing the budget to AUD$2000 if it will also include more SDD storage.

I don't care about looks/colours as it's going to sit on the floor under my desk. Pure function over form. I'm happy with an ATX case as portability/space under desk isn't a concern either.

If you don't mind buying a B450 board and most likely being locked out of an upgrade to Ryzen 4XXX chips when they are released:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($298.00 @ Shopping Express)
CPU Cooler: Deepcool GAMMAXX 400 74.34 CFM CPU Cooler ($35.00 @ BudgetPC)
Motherboard: MSI B450M MORTAR MAX Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.00 @ Centre Com)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($127.96 @ Amazon Australia)
Storage: Western Digital WD Blue 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($349.00 @ Centre Com)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB VENTUS XS OC Video Card ($455.00 @ Shopping Express)
Case: Thermaltake Core V21 MicroATX Mini Tower Case ($89.00 @ Amazon Australia)
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA G3 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($158.00 @ Shopping Express)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($50.00)
Total: $1750.96
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-11 17:19 AEST+1000

If it is something you'd like to spend extra money on to keep on the table, I'd swap in these two parts:

Motherboard: MSI X570-A PRO ATX AM4 Motherboard ($279.00 @ Mwave Australia)
Case: NZXT H510 ATX Mid Tower Case ($135.00 @ Shopping Express)

There's not much sense in going above a 1660 Super for 1080p 60hz gaming, unless you want a first-generation raytracing card. Admittedly, DLSS 2.0 is nice and hopefully will be adopted by more games in the future along with RTX. It's just probably something you don't really need to spend extra money on to fill out your budget, unless you want to get a nicer monitor along with it.

demostars fucked around with this message at 08:22 on May 11, 2020

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
at what point should someone primarily interested in gaming consider 32gb of ram? my current system has 16 and i feel like i sometimes scratch the edge of that between [big game] + firefox + league client + spotify

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

I'd consider it if I was jumping into VR oculus stuff

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Stickman posted:

Even if all you're doing is web browsing/word processing, a new budget build would be much, much snappier than your 10-year-old machine. Everything else in the computer is getting long in the tooth as well and the only option for replacement motherboards are now-old used boards off ebay, so if you can afford it a new computer would be best. If not, check ebay for H55 itx motherboards - there still seem to be a few available. Ebay has very good return policies - if you purchase a board that doesn't work you'll have 45 days to return it.

What do you use your computer for, and what would you like to use it for in the future?

Sorry, should have said. I want to play videogames of course.

Guess it's time for a new rig or a PS4

a podcast for cats
Jun 22, 2005

Dogs reading from an artifact buried in the ruins of our civilization, "We were assholes- " and writing solemnly, "They were assholes."
Soiled Meat
While I was procrastinating on buying a new power supply, my old PC hardlocked during a game yesterday and will no longer post. Single beep and reboot loop in all possible RAM stick/slot combinations, except for one where a specific RAM stick is in a specific slot produces 4 beeps and a reboot loop. I expect that the RAM is gone and possibly the mainboard too. Fingers (kind of) crossed for the GPU.

If I end up having to replace the entire thing, is there any reason to not to consider a 3300X for light 1080p gaming? The pricepoint and the deluge of glowing reviews make it seem very appealing.

a podcast for cats fucked around with this message at 15:30 on May 11, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Tonton Macoute posted:

If I end up having to replace the entire thing, is there any reason to not to consider a 3300X for light 1080p gaming? The pricepoint and the deluge of glowing reviews make it seem very appealing.

Only thing against it is that it doesn't make sense paired with a X570 and B550 isn't out yet. Putting it in a B450 is a great budget system now but is locked out of a ryzen 4000 upgrade (unless the compatibility stuff published by amd is not the whole story).

But with you needing a new PC *right now* that's the best budget option.

Verviticus posted:

at what point should someone primarily interested in gaming consider 32gb of ram? my current system has 16 and i feel like i sometimes scratch the edge of that between [big game] + firefox + league client + spotify

Remember that the page file exists. Web browsers and background apps can get paged out to disk, and if you're on a SSD it's pretty imperceptible when you re-focus on a browser tab that got paged or something like that.

Using 14 out of 16gb memory with nothing paged to disk just means that your apps are spread out taking all the space they want because the OS isn't forcing them out of active memory.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X 3.9 GHz 8-Core Processor ($338.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U14S 82.52 CFM CPU Cooler ($63.75 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS ATX AM4 Motherboard ($169.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($119.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.88 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card ($429.99 @ Walmart)
Case: Fractal Design Define R5 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($129.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)
Total: $1611.35
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-11 11:45 EDT-0400

On the gaming side I want to be able to run 1080p60 with ray tracing & near-max settings on new games going forward. Don't care about VR or 4K. Want a balance of good cooling performance & low noise. Maybe minor overclocking on air but that's not a big priority. I've been able to squeak by on an older 128gb SSD, so 500 will be plenty in the short term.

Part availability seems a little sketchy so I'm tempted to put off pulling the trigger on this for a little while, but I think this is roughly what I'm aiming for. Any feedback is welcome.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006

sean10mm posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

Storage: Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($124.88 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB GAMING X Video Card ($429.99 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: Corsair RM (2019) 750 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply ($124.99 @ Best Buy)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit ($108.78 @ Other World Computing)

On the gaming side I want to be able to run 1080p60 with ray tracing & near-max settings on new games going forward. Don't care about VR or 4K. Want a balance of good cooling performance & low noise. Maybe minor overclocking on air but that's not a big priority. I've been able to squeak by on an older 128gb SSD, so 500 will be plenty in the short term.

Part availability seems a little sketchy so I'm tempted to put off pulling the trigger on this for a little while, but I think this is roughly what I'm aiming for. Any feedback is welcome.

Someone far more versed than I should step in and suggest alternates, but since I've been reading the thread the last month or so....

General consensus is that the 3800x offers a really crappy improvement over the 3700x. Way down the diminishing returns scale.

Barring pretty specific uses that most people aren't into - you're not likely to see any improvement with 32gigs of RAM over 16. (Full disclosure, I bought 32 myself anyway cause it was on some dumb sale.)

Think about bumping that SSD to 1TB.

Your power supply is probably 100W more than you need, but this falls into the "if it's in stock and the price is right - whatever" category.

Go buy Windows from someone in SAMart. There's a couple sellers there. $15 no fuss no muss. Hell, I picked up Windows 10 pro and Office 2019 for $30.

Edit: VVVV - and there you are.

Tony Phillips fucked around with this message at 17:14 on May 11, 2020

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

sean10mm posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor ($172.39 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard ($114.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($84.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($119.00 @ B&H)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB BLACK GAMING Video Card ($519.99 @ Walmart)
Total: $1438.87
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-11 12:07 EDT-0400

This build is a ton better, gets you a GPU that's more powerful, and gives you 1TB in storage. Also buy the Windows key off of SA-Mart to save you ~$75.

For 1080p you don't need a 3800X (the worst buy of all the new Ryzen chips anyways). Samsung is a great SSD choice but you are paying for the name these days. And with this build, you can decide in the future if you want to go up to 1440p, the 2070 Super is capable. You don't need to overclock Ryzen chips, nobody does it except for super super enthusiasts as the benefit isn't really there (they auto boost). You don't need 32GB.

There is no way I would buy a 2060S over a 2070S for the price difference of $90.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

This is great feedback, my last build was like 5 years ago so there's tons I don't know about current gen stuff.

Figures my case, PSU and cooler picks were maybe the decent ones lol

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

I have a PC that's getting a little old now, with 16 GB of ram (1333 mhz), AMD FX-6300, and a GTX 950. I am wondering if it would be worth it to throw a RTX 2060 in there with the rest of the older hardware. I don't play any competitive multiplayer games but I'd like to be able to play something like RDR2 at 1080p and hold 60 fps at high-ish settings. Is my older CPU and ram going to be a significant bottleneck realistically?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
If you want to get a x570 motherboard, I wouldn’t recommend that MSI board.

Personally wait for the x570 tomahawk to drop if not get the TUF x570 or aorus elite x570 I think.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Any thoughts on this build? I've posted a similar one for a friend of mine earlier but he's finally settled. Power supply is more than he needs but I'm okay with the build otherwise. Thanks!

CPU
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor $428.50

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard $429.99

Memory
Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory $133.99

Storage
Western Digital Blue 4 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive $119.99

Storage
Western Digital SN750 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive $219.00

Video Card
Asus GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Turbo EVO Video Card $602.80

Case
Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case $149.99

Power Supply
Fractal Design Ion+ 760 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply $199.99

Total: $2284.25

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Cocaine Bear posted:

Motherboard
Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard $429.99

Super-expensive motherboards are pretty worthless for anyone who isn't extreme overclocking.

Gigabyte X570 boards in the $200-$250 range are quite good, whenever they come back in stock.

edit: oh that board is normally $300, not $400. still, it's kinda an extra $50+ for RGB leds and the asus name.

Klyith fucked around with this message at 18:11 on May 11, 2020

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? I'm looking for a new video card for light gaming. I have a retired HP Z620 workstation that had no where to go when my company was acquired so they mailed it to me, and I'd like to see if I can upgrade it. I don't want to go crazy and start upgrading the CPU, RAM, or OS, so if one of these is a bottleneck, I'll probably just shove it back in my closet and do nothing. But if I can I'd like throw a cheap video card in there and get enough FPS to reasonably run DOOM at a medium setting.

CPU: Xeon E5-2620 0 @2Ghz
Current video card: NVIDIA Quadro K2000 2GB
RAM: 32GB DIMM DDR3 1600Mhz clocked @ 1333 Mhz
HD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

What's your budget? I'd like to keep it under $200 - again, this is just for a video card.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1920 x 1080, 60Hz. "It runs" is good enough for me.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Changed around my build a little based on the feedback here :v:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor ($294.14 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) ATX AM4 Motherboard ($189.99 @ Best Buy)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3600 Memory ($83.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital SN750 500 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive ($94.49 @ Amazon)
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER 8 GB Video Card ($499.99 @ Best Buy)
Total: $1481.33
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-11 13:49 EDT-0400

Notes:

I like the idea of moving up to 8 cores even if it's not strictly necessary, so the markup from the 3600x to the 3700x is no big deal, but yeah after doing more :google: the 3800x *really* looks like it's not worth it.
Changed the mobo, that might just be a placeholder until the nice Gigabyte X570s are back in stock anywhere though.
Cut the memory in half and bumped up from 3200 to 3600 for the speed because the price difference was so minor.
Savings from other changes used to bump up the video card to a RTX2070 Super :krad:

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

What country are you in? USA
What are you using the system for? I'm looking for a new video card for light gaming. I have a retired HP Z620 workstation that had no where to go when my company was acquired so they mailed it to me, and I'd like to see if I can upgrade it. I don't want to go crazy and start upgrading the CPU, RAM, or OS, so if one of these is a bottleneck, I'll probably just shove it back in my closet and do nothing. But if I can I'd like throw a cheap video card in there and get enough FPS to reasonably run DOOM at a medium setting.

CPU: Xeon E5-2620 0 @2Ghz
Current video card: NVIDIA Quadro K2000 2GB
RAM: 32GB DIMM DDR3 1600Mhz clocked @ 1333 Mhz
HD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

What's your budget? I'd like to keep it under $200 - again, this is just for a video card.
If you're gaming, what is your monitor resolution / refresh rate? 1920 x 1080, 60Hz. "It runs" is good enough for me.

Probably this https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeon-rx-570-rx570-4g/p/N82E16814930010 is the best value brand new under $150. I'd look for one used like these two people mentioning cards in SA Mart tho: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3922690 but thinking out loud I'm not sure the 1060 is even a huge upgrade over the 570, though it's less power hungry and newer.

You may need an adapter to make the PSU work with a modern GPU?

bus hustler fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 11, 2020

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

sean10mm posted:

I like the idea of moving up to 8 cores even if it's not strictly necessary, so the markup from the 3600x to the 3700x is no big deal, but yeah after doing more :google: the 3800x *really* looks like it's not worth it.
Changed the mobo, that might just be a placeholder until the nice Gigabyte X570s are back in stock anywhere though.

Are you planning to do an in-place upgrade to that CPU to a later AM4 cpu? If not, the x570 may be overkill. If yes, then it's worth considering if the 2 extra cores (33%) on the 3700x are worth the nearly $120 price difference to a 3600 (66% more $). I just went through the same decision and decided to buy the 3600 + x570 to upgrade to 4000 series cpu in a few years. But an 8-core now is a totally good choice too, nothing wrong there.

nerox
May 20, 2001
What a roller coaster to build a computer these days. Finally saw a Corsair Tx650m in stock on newegg and order it Friday night only to get an email today that they are actually out of stock and that order was canceled. I go to check newegg's site about it and the Seasonic Focus PX-650 is in stock, so I order it and the order status claims to be packing for shipping now.

Here is what I ended up with:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor (Purchased For $0.00)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (Purchased For $0.00)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory (Purchased For $0.00)
Storage: Western Digital Blue 2 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive (Purchased For $0.00)
Video Card: PNY GeForce RTX 2060 SUPER 8 GB Dual Gaming OC Video Card (Purchased For $0.00)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (Purchased For $0.00)
Monitor: LG 27GL83A-B 27.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor (Purchased For $0.00)
Custom: (Purchased)
Total: $0.00
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-11 16:25 EDT-0400

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.
Questions about flashing the bios on b450 tomahawk: since CPU can't be connected, is it safe or plausible to flash the bios with the mobo outside the case? How would I do that, if so? Also, does the size of the thumb drive I use to flash it matter? I have a 60gb thumb drive but wonder if it's too big.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005
PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($0.00)
Storage: Crucial MX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB Video Card ($0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $865.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-11 17:23 EDT-0400

The Samsung SSD and the video card are from my current system; I have a 1440/144hz monitor and could use a GPU upgrade but I am getting the impression (perhaps incorrect? I dunno) that I might as well wait for the 3XXX series to come out.

DeceasedHorse fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 11, 2020

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

charity rereg posted:

Probably this https://www.newegg.com/asrock-radeon-rx-570-rx570-4g/p/N82E16814930010 is the best value brand new under $150. I'd look for one used like these two people mentioning cards in SA Mart tho: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3922690 but thinking out loud I'm not sure the 1060 is even a huge upgrade over the 570, though it's less power hungry and newer.

You may need an adapter to make the PSU work with a modern GPU?
Thanks for the suggestion, the RX 570 looks like an easy (and cheap) answer.

So I looked for more information about the adapter issue and found someone with the same workstation and an RX480, looks like they used a 8x1 to 6x2 adapter. I opened up my own box to see that the old video card, since it sucks rear end, has no need for an additional power connection. However, I see a 6x2 port built into the case and I wonder if that is the one I would need to plug into with an adapter.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

i must compose posted:

Questions about flashing the bios on b450 tomahawk: since CPU can't be connected, is it safe or plausible to flash the bios with the mobo outside the case? How would I do that, if so? Also, does the size of the thumb drive I use to flash it matter? I have a 60gb thumb drive but wonder if it's too big.

Yeah, preferable even. Just put it on on top of the box. Its picky about it, smaller is better; when flashing my neighbors board my 16gb drive didn't work but his ancient 512MB drive did.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

i must compose posted:

Also, does the size of the thumb drive I use to flash it matter? I have a 60gb thumb drive but wonder if it's too big.

Some Goon posted:

Its picky about it, smaller is better; when flashing my neighbors board my 16gb drive didn't work but his ancient 512MB drive did.

I believe it should work from any size of drive, but you have to jump through some hoops to get large ones set up properly.
1. MBR drive format, big usb sticks may be GPT
2. 8GB partition size or less
3. FAT32 formatted

I can write instructions for doing those steps, if you can rustle up a small USB stick it's way easier.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

DeceasedHorse posted:

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Scythe Mugen 5 Rev. B 51.17 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.99 @ Amazon)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($79.98 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 860 Evo 250 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($0.00)
Storage: Crucial MX500 2 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($229.99 @ Adorama)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti 6 GB Video Card ($0.00)
Case: Fractal Design Meshify C ATX Mid Tower Case ($99.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic FOCUS 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Total: $865.32
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-05-11 17:23 EDT-0400

The Samsung SSD and the video card are from my current system; I have a 1440/144hz monitor and could use a GPU upgrade but I am getting the impression (perhaps incorrect? I dunno) that I might as well wait for the 3XXX series to come out.

Yeah I would wait for the next generation of GPUs if I were you, the 980 Ti still isn't so bad for 1440p.

DeceasedHorse
Nov 11, 2005

MaxxBot posted:

Yeah I would wait for the next generation of GPUs if I were you, the 980 Ti still isn't so bad for 1440p.

Thanks, got that GPU upgrade itch, but there is really no reason right now...

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Until the lions have their own historians, the history of the hunt will always glorify the hunter.

Klyith posted:

I believe it should work from any size of drive, but you have to jump through some hoops to get large ones set up properly.
1. MBR drive format, big usb sticks may be GPT
2. 8GB partition size or less
3. FAT32 formatted

I can write instructions for doing those steps, if you can rustle up a small USB stick it's way easier.

I found a 16gb thumb drive, is that cool? Do I use the absolute newest bios or is there some order I need to go in?

Mistikman
Jan 21, 2001

I was born ready. I'm Ron Fucking Swanson.

DeceasedHorse posted:

Thanks, got that GPU upgrade itch, but there is really no reason right now...

Given we will probably be seeing an announcement for the 30 series in 3 days, I would say buying a new video card right now is pretty dumb. Once the 30 series cards drop, you should be able to get a 20 series for cheaper, or hopefully a 30 series at the 20 series current prices. Either way, if you can wait a few months, you can get a way better deal than today.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

i must compose posted:

I found a 16gb thumb drive, is that cool?

Probably.

1. Put it into your existing PC, open Disk Management (on win10, right click on the start button for some system shortcuts including disk manager).
2. Find the USB stick in the lower pane
3. Right click on the USB disk volume (the blue bar thing) and choose Delete Volume.
4. Now you should have a big black bar that says unallocated. Right click that and do New Simple Volume.
5. In the wizard, enter 1000 for volume size on step 1 and format with FAT32 in step 3.

Now you can follow the rest of the standard instructions.

i must compose posted:

Do I use the absolute newest bios or is there some order I need to go in?

You can go straight to the newest.

i must compose
Jul 4, 2010

Thanks a lot!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Built that nuc10i7 with the wd blue nvme disk and 16G of ram into a windows 10 computer using the sketchy windows licenses from SA-Mart. Works like a charm. Plex generated a video thumbnail set super quickly. It feels super fast. The fan is comically loud when it revs up, for now I'm leaving it because their hearing isn't that great anyways, but if I get complaints I'll set it to a higher minimum fan speed and cap the performance at 75% or something to help it not do that as often.

Thanks thread. :toot:

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Any tips/tricks for cleaning out my PC? First time I'll have ever done this, got a can of compressed air. Are dry swiffers okay?

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Johnny Truant posted:

Any tips/tricks for cleaning out my PC? First time I'll have ever done this, got a can of compressed air. Are dry swiffers okay?

I usually use a vacuum and an air can. Any filters can be washed and fully dried before putting back in. Those are my tricks!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Take it outside, use the can of compressed air, don't invert or shake the can. Make sure the fans spin when you hit em you will be shocked at what comes out of it. Don't use a swiffer, they likely generate static electricity to make dust cling to them which will fry your electronics. Don't overthink it, you will get a really good idea in your first few bursts where the dust hides and how much pressure you need to dislodge it. Make sure to hit your power supply.

Cocaine Bear
Nov 4, 2011

ACAB

Then hit it with the hose for a quick rinse.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Try not to spin the fans up with the air since they'll just be generating power.