Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

mind the walrus posted:

It was an admirable philosophical intent, but execution always matters more and they executed the idea pretty loving terribly, and it was obvious they hadn't planned to.

Very few movie universes feel "done" the way the first Matrix feels "done." The main character unlocked God Mode, taps on the fourth wall, and flies into the camera. You really get the feeling the filmmakers put everything they had into it, which is why the second two really do have that hangover vibe. "I don't know, maybe there's like... a key-guy? And a rogue program who lives there? Yeah and like a rave to show how everyone is totally connected to the earth. Yeah total rave. That's gonna play really well in 2003 and not feel dated at all. Oh and Smith like... there's a copy, and a copy and a copy. That's brilliant."

Yeah, the second and third ones are a different thing from the first one because they probably had the overall throughline but weren't sure how to pad it out and added all of the extra layers of STUFF.

Speed Racer has the same overall arc of rejecting a horrible system to create the better future for everyone, while doing the Path of Neo joke of making it an unambiguous triumph and celebration.

Edit: I remembered the old thing about how the Wachowskis originally wanted to do one prequel and one sequel at the most. Expanding out the Second Renaissance content to a full movie probably wouldn't have worked great but that being an early idea fits with the two sequels feeling padded.

Shiroc has a new favorite as of 04:54 on May 11, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Loomer posted:

Yeah. Some of his lines and nonfighty scenes in John Wick 2+3 are incredibly poorly performed. He’s not a good actor by any stretch, even if he’s a great performer in a few select areas.

...eh? I'm not gonna call any of Keanu's work in those movies Oscar-worthy but there wasn't anything in either that struck me as distractingly bad, and honestly the series as a whole has kinda vindicated my opinion that Keanu can be a legit good actor if he has the right material

Keanu works best when you put him in the role of a character who is just absolutely tired and done with everyone's poo poo; Neon Demon uses him amazingly well in this kind of role, and the John Wick movies basically trade on the exact same thing

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Also, I'm just gonna say it, the rave thing in Reloaded has actually aged fantastically, because I don't know if y'all were paying attention but EDM and rave culture had a huge resurgence over the past decade

If anything, it's better now than it was at the time for that reason, because in 2003 they were still kind of a dying relic of the 90s... and then about 7ish years later Skrillex happened and now it's suddenly not dated anymore

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Also, I'm just gonna say it, the rave thing in Reloaded has actually aged fantastically, because I don't know if y'all were paying attention but EDM and rave culture had a huge resurgence over the past decade

If anything, it's better now than it was at the time for that reason, because in 2003 they were still kind of a dying relic of the 90s... and then about 7ish years later Skrillex happened and now it's suddenly not dated anymore

Skrillex happened like 10 years ago old man. I wouldn't pretend to know if EDM is on its way out but considering I last heard of it being remotely big around 2014 I wouldn't hold my breath.

WeedlordGoku69 posted:

Keanu works best when you put him in the role of a character who is just absolutely tired and done with everyone's poo poo; Neon Demon uses him amazingly well in this kind of role, and the John Wick movies basically trade on the exact same thing
Bingo. I think Keanu is a very good actor with a tiny range, plus Ted for some reason.

Shiroc posted:

Speed Racer has the same overall arc of rejecting a horrible system to create the better future for everyone, while doing the Path of Neo joke of making it an unambiguous triumph and celebration.

Edit: I remembered the old thing about how the Wachowskis originally wanted to do one prequel and one sequel at the most. Expanding out the Second Renaissance content to a full movie probably wouldn't have worked great but that being an early idea fits with the two sequels feeling padded.
Speed Racer was way better than it should have been and it sucks how few people seemed to be in on the joke.

And that idea makes way more sense than what we got. I do think if they had compressed Reloaded/Revolutions into one movie "Oh no Agent Smith went rogue and is viral-taking the Matrix" while skipping over the Architect bullshit would have... it wouldn't have been as good but we probably would be going "yeah fair enough B+."

Still gonna die mad about the monsters though. Like I bet at one point that was the idea and they loved the idea too much to take it out of the script, but all it does is highlight a much better possible version of what you're watching.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

mind the walrus posted:

Bingo. I think Keanu is a very good actor with a tiny range, plus Ted for some reason.

I get the impression Ted is closest to his IRL personality.

And Speed Racer is indeed deeply underrated.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

mind the walrus posted:

Speed Racer was way better than it should have been and it sucks how few people seemed to be in on the joke.

John Goodman as Pops is the best part of that movie.

"Ninja? More like non-ja" is so stupid but I still crack a smile when I get to that part.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Second Renaissance aged well because it says that humans would rather die under capitalism then live in a post scarcity world.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

mind the walrus posted:

Skrillex happened like 10 years ago old man. I wouldn't pretend to know if EDM is on its way out but considering I last heard of it being remotely big around 2014 I wouldn't hold my breath.

he's still around and it never went away, it basically just merged with pop music/top 40. the current equivalent hotness would probably be The Chainsmokers or Marshmello

e: yeah I just looked up vids of Ultra Music Festival from last year and there's still loving shitloads of people going, even for relatively B-list artists

WeedlordGoku69 has a new favorite as of 07:02 on May 11, 2020

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Speed Racer is an absolutely brilliant movie.

I still completely love that the movie opens with Speed trying to defeat the literal Mario Kart time trial ghost of his brother (who is absolutely not the mysterious Racer X at all, that would be silly and shame on you for even thinking that).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Suddenly I remembered that Dexter's Lab had an episode that was one extended, very direct parody of Speed Racer. And while I think it aged really well because at this point they're both 'classic cartoons' in a general sense that can be thought of in the same sphere, I'm really curious how it played at the time, since the whole thing was a children's cartoon from the nineties directly referencing one from the sixties.

Over here in Australia the same network aired both Dexter's Lab and Speed Racer reruns, so it felt contemporary in that way; was that also true in the US?

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Yep, we had Speed Racer reruns at the same time as Dexter’s Lab, or close to it, in the States.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Wait, there was a Woody Woodpecker movie ?

Ahem. The Matrix sequels had serious problems, but I won't hear a word said against the highway sequence. That's action, music, and editing converging on perfection.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Cartoon Network tried to make Speed Racer into a pretty big deal for a brief period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT0-UjS2NNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTteJTKX-6w

Speed Racer also ended up on the the Speed network here in the states too.

It's kind of weird. I don't think Speed Racer had any kind of ongoing popularity in Japan (and if I'm wrong, someone please correct me), but over here in the USA it was treated like...I don't want to say it's treated like a BIG deal, but for a long while it certainly felt like it. There have been multiple attempts in the west at doing sequels, re-imaginings, and follows-ups, though none of them ever really took off.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

mllaneza posted:

Yes and while it wasn't brilliant it was weird enough to be interesting. Rather than Man Vs Nature, the plot involves the developer bribing Woody after an initial bit of MvN tension with peanut butter cookies to leave his team alone, and Woody ends up helping them build the thing. It inevitably goes wrong when Woody tries to add a fresco to the wooden wall, but punctures too far by accident, knocking himself out because he hit a power cable, and by the time he comes to the building has burnt down. He spends the rest of the movie feeling like total poo poo about it too, doesn't try to excuse himself or anything or play it off with a joke. The actual tension comes in comedy poachers who have a cute scene where they are performing an auction via skype to sell internationally. There were some really dumb jokes though like Woody pooping on a villain's ice cream then him eating it, and even the character's like "Yeah, sorry you had to see that, that was unnecessary..."

It felt like there was one writer fighting studio mandated stupid ideas and doing his best to do interesting things despite shoehorned poop jokes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Vandar posted:

Cartoon Network tried to make Speed Racer into a pretty big deal for a brief period.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vT0-UjS2NNs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTteJTKX-6w

Speed Racer also ended up on the the Speed network here in the states too.

It's kind of weird. I don't think Speed Racer had any kind of ongoing popularity in Japan (and if I'm wrong, someone please correct me), but over here in the USA it was treated like...I don't want to say it's treated like a BIG deal, but for a long while it certainly felt like it. There have been multiple attempts in the west at doing sequels, re-imaginings, and follows-ups, though none of them ever really took off.

Astro Boy used to be big too, the early anime dubs caught a bit of the magic that was cartoons which did things Western cartoons didn't and took themselves and the audience more seriously. Having higher production values also helped. The kind of show that inspires future generations of animators like how 90s anime inspired the current generation.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

mind the walrus posted:

Bingo. It's been said a million times-- it's the perfect adolescent empowerment fantasy, most likely because the Wachowskis were infusing it with their own experience as trans women, suffused with being the flashpoint for groundbreaking cinema tech and getting the cocktail of 90s club wear, wire fu wuxia, pseudo-spiritual transhumanism, anime and video game conventions, and late-century US ennui exactly right. It is absolutely a story that never needed any follow-up.

It says a lot that according to Will Smith, the Wachowskis spent their entire pitch to him to play Neo talking about the bullet time effects instead of the plot (hence why he turned it down).

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Imo Keanu is like Nic Cage, they can nail it when given the right part; and when they either don't care (Nic cage) or are miscast (Keanu) I still enjoy watching them most of the time.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Agent Smith is one of my fav characters of all time tho

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
The other day I saw Keanu Reeves play a serial killer in The Watcher (2000), and it was one of the worst things I've ever seen. It makes all his other performances look Oscar-worthy.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

oldpainless posted:

More like oldemotionless

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

I think that 2003 me didn't really understand that you couldn't really do more Matrix sequels that were like the first movie; they needed to either drastically change the rules of the actual Matrix or have them take place not in the Matrix in order for them to be able to tell stories that had like a plot arc or 'reasons for anyone to ever punch or shoot anyone'. The Matrix, taken as a stand-alone movie, is brilliant but taken as the start of a film franchise is... um... not strong. There aren't any real questions left unanswered within the text of the actual film in The Matrix to build a 'sequel' on and so what we got might have been the best possible take on trying to do one (though 2003 me and 2020 me don't enjoy what we got).

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

artsy fartsy posted:

The other day I saw Keanu Reeves play a serial killer in The Watcher (2000), and it was one of the worst things I've ever seen. It makes all his other performances look Oscar-worthy.

I feel like the late 90s-early 00s was when Hollywood was at their peak 'miscasting Keanu Reeves'. When it comes to acting, he can only really do two roles: the bland, neutral protagonist, and Theodore Logan. So in essence, he can either do one role, or no role. But he's also really dedicated and really friendly, which makes him absolutely perfect for those two sorts of roles: he's personable and friendly enough to get exactly the set rapport you'd want out of something like Bill and Ted, and he'll dedicate himself to stunts and training to a level that you'd need for a movie like John Wick.

Weirdly, these two things came together in the Matrix, but not in a way you'd expect; sure he was down for all the stunts, but also, the Wachowskis demanded everyone working on the film have an understanding of the philosophical underpinnings of the movie. But while Reeves wasn't the quickest to understand the concepts (that would apparently be Lawrence Fishburne) he might've been the most dedicated study, because he understood how important it was to their whole idea.

Evilreaver
Feb 26, 2007

GEORGE IS GETTIN' AUGMENTED!
Dinosaur Gum

oldpainless posted:

More like old legolas

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

BioEnchanted posted:

Yes and while it wasn't brilliant it was weird enough to be interesting. Rather than Man Vs Nature, the plot involves the developer bribing Woody after an initial bit of MvN tension with peanut butter cookies to leave his team alone, and Woody ends up helping them build the thing. It inevitably goes wrong when Woody tries to add a fresco to the wooden wall, but punctures too far by accident, knocking himself out because he hit a power cable, and by the time he comes to the building has burnt down. He spends the rest of the movie feeling like total poo poo about it too, doesn't try to excuse himself or anything or play it off with a joke. The actual tension comes in comedy poachers who have a cute scene where they are performing an auction via skype to sell internationally. There were some really dumb jokes though like Woody pooping on a villain's ice cream then him eating it, and even the character's like "Yeah, sorry you had to see that, that was unnecessary..."

It felt like there was one writer fighting studio mandated stupid ideas and doing his best to do interesting things despite shoehorned poop jokes.

If literally any other poster had written this synopsis I wouldn’t believe it, but BioEnchanted never jokes about the weird media they consume.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Zedd posted:

Imo Keanu is like Nic Cage, they can nail it when given the right part; and when they either don't care (Nic cage) or are miscast (Keanu) I still enjoy watching them most of the time.

I remember a very stereotypically CineD rant where Keanu and Cage are compared to Arnold Schwarzenegger; what they do might be called Mega-Acting, character acting or just a narrow range, but they have a very particular character type and they stick to it, which is rather alien to Hollywood's usual style of just having a very charismatic/attractive lead. Used exactly the right way, they work incredibly well, since they channel that charisma into a very particular role. Arnie is probably an interesting example as he realised his gimmick early on and gives his all into it; everything from speech therapy to maintain his signature accent and physical training to maintain his mannerisms is meant to maintain a signature gimmick. The Rock might also be comparable, as the whole thing is quite closely similar to a wrestling gimmick.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

The worst Keanu Reeves casting was when he played a young Prince Siddhartha in 1993's Little Buddha. Keanu Reeves attempting an Indian accent in brownface is, uh, interesting.

https://youtu.be/2QT4mFNVyzc

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I'm uncertain how to take Keanu's performance in Knock Knock, which is a sleazy Eli Roth exploitation film masquerading as an arch, self-aware critique of sleazy exploitation films. I'd say he's cast well because he's a gormless lump that squints and grunts through events his character barely understands, but I've never been able to figure out whether he understood that the movie he was appearing in was bad. Like not badly done, but morally reprehensible.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Reeves was very believable as a pedophile pimp in The Bad Batch

Flying Zamboni
May 7, 2007

but, uh... well, there it is

artsy fartsy posted:

Apparently Reeves's signature was forged on the contract. He had talked to the director years before the movie was made about being in it and forgot all about it. In the meantime the director got the financing for the film by telling everyone that Keanue Reeves was going to be in his movie. When Reeves looked at suing the guy he realized that just being in the movie was going to be easier and cheaper than a lawsuit.

In exchange for the studio heavily downplaying his involvement in advertising he was legally barred from speaking negativity about the movie for a year post-release.

Almost exactly a year after the release of The Watcher, The Guardian published an article all about it, but it was immediately sidelined because 9/11 happened a couple of hours later.

rydiafan
Mar 17, 2009

Keanu Reeves' best performance is as a dog faced boy in the cinematic triumph Freaked.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Speed Weed had an impact in Japan, but it's also extremely old. The mach 5 and the trunk monkey made an appearance in yoru no yatterman a couple years back but I think that's about it for direct references.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Volcott posted:

Speed Weed had an impact in Japan, but it's also extremely old. The mach 5 and the trunk monkey made an appearance in yoru no yatterman a couple years back but I think that's about it for direct references.

The TV producer guy?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Speed Racer was not executive produced by Speed Weed but can you imagine if it was?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

:doink: but instead it's at 4x speed :doink::doink::doink::doink:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mllaneza posted:

Ahem. The Matrix sequels had serious problems, but I won't hear a word said against the highway sequence. That's action, music, and editing converging on perfection.

for sure, you couldn't even tell that the cars were missing axles and the actors looked like ps2 characters on my 2003 divx rip

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Volcott posted:

OK so the conversation had moved to Keanu so I was thinking there was a weed themed sequel to Speed that had an impact in Japan

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Cleretic posted:

Weirdly, these two things came together in the Matrix, but not in a way you'd expect; sure he was down for all the stunts, but also, the Wachowskis demanded everyone working on the film have an understanding of the philosophical underpinnings of the movie. But while Reeves wasn't the quickest to understand the concepts (that would apparently be Lawrence Fishburne) he might've been the most dedicated study, because he understood how important it was to their whole idea.
Does it take a lot work to understand "What if brain in a jar/trapped on the holodeck Star Trek episode, but crossed with The Terminator"?

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

purple death ray posted:

OK so the conversation had moved to Keanu so I was thinking there was a weed themed sequel to Speed that had an impact in Japan

I’m bookmarking this post so if I get a fever, I can refer back to it and hopefully make that part of my fever dreams.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

I’m bookmarking this post so if I get a fever, I can refer back to it and hopefully make that part of my fever dreams.

Take 50mg of diphenhydramine (Benadryl, Tylenol PM, etc) and put on some futurama while you’re falling asleep the next time you’re running a good fever, your brain will cook up some delightful stuff for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Take 50mg of diphenhydramine (Benadryl, Tylenol PM, etc) and put on some futurama while you’re falling asleep the next time you’re running a good fever, your brain will cook up some delightful stuff for you.

I once had a raging case of some stomach bug that came with a 103 degree fever. I’d been reading Scott Pilgrim that week, and had just uncovered a box of old GamePro magazines, so I was feverishly convinced I had a gaming mag from the past that had a feature on an upcoming Scott Pilgrim game (this was before the movie; there was no game at the time), and somehow GamePro was able to see the future.