Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

ROJO posted:

....which in itself is a good lesson on using ubiquiti.....let the updates mellow in the wild a bit before you apply.

After a Unifi update bricked my old-rear end square Unifi AP Pros (according to Unifi, they were EOL, so not supported by the newest controller, but they didn't tell me that before the patch was applied, thereby breaking half the house's wifi), I've basically sworn off Unifi updates.

It's stable now, it's fine. No new updates needed till I get cutting edge APs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
What's the best solution for extending a video (1080p/4k) and 2-3 USB signals about 10m? The USBs only have to drive a keyboard and an Xbox One controller receiver. Thunderbolt is not an option, and I'd like to spend less than 200USD if possible, but will go over if necessary. I have an AC1750 as my only current networking equipment.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

After a Unifi update bricked my old-rear end square Unifi AP Pros (according to Unifi, they were EOL, so not supported by the newest controller, but they didn't tell me that before the patch was applied, thereby breaking half the house's wifi), I've basically sworn off Unifi updates.

It's stable now, it's fine. No new updates needed till I get cutting edge APs.

yeah those old square APs where a thorn in their side... They had a ton of problems that they where never able to fix. If I remember correctly that particular model used a platform that none of their other products used. It was speculated there was a hardware or design fault that there was no workaround possible for. So they EOLed them. The only Unifi product I believe they have done this to. This was a lovely move IMO, and also not a very popular one.

By contrast, the very first Unifi product, the original Unifi AP that is 2.4ghz only, is still supported to this day and still receives updates.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Joda posted:

What's the best solution for extending a video (1080p/4k) and 2-3 USB signals about 10m? The USBs only have to drive a keyboard and an Xbox One controller receiver. Thunderbolt is not an option, and I'd like to spend less than 200USD if possible, but will go over if necessary. I have an AC1750 as my only current networking equipment.

10m is technically still under the spec for HDMI cables, so you could probably just get away with a really high quality HDMI cable. Monoprice and a few other manufacturers also make fiber optic HDMI cables that handle long distances well.

As for the USB, I think you can use a couple active HDMI extension cables for that. I might put a powered hub at the end and plug the keyboard and controller into just to make sure they get enough power.

ROJO
Jan 14, 2006

Oven Wrangler

Buff Hardback posted:

IIRC max throughput on USG with IDS/IPS is only like 200Mbps at best

I think Unifi specced 250 or so for the 4Pro (but I can't find the actual number on their site anymore) - but in practice I get ~330 down with DPI and IPS, which for my internet is fine.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

stevewm posted:

yeah those old square APs where a thorn in their side... They had a ton of problems that they where never able to fix. If I remember correctly that particular model used a platform that none of their other products used. It was speculated there was a hardware or design fault that there was no workaround possible for. So they EOLed them. The only Unifi product I believe they have done this to. This was a lovely move IMO, and also not a very popular one.

By contrast, the very first Unifi product, the original Unifi AP that is 2.4ghz only, is still supported to this day and still receives updates.

I have the original UAPs as well, 3 of them in the house that do 802.11N max, (and 2 Unifi AP AC Pros, the round ones that do AC too), and am scared another update will brick those too.

Sigh.

stevewm
May 10, 2005

Steakandchips posted:

I have the original UAPs as well, 3 of them in the house that do 802.11N max, (and 2 Unifi AP AC Pros, the round ones that do AC too), and am scared another update will brick those too.

Sigh.

I've only ever had one update that went south on Unifi AP. But you can generally recover it using TFTP. https://help.ui.com/hc/en-us/articles/204910124-UniFi-TFTP-Recovery-for-Bricked-Access-Points

FunOne
Aug 20, 2000
I am a slimey vat of concentrated stupidity

Fun Shoe
Still can't get this old Fitbit Aria wifi scale back on my Unifi network. I've enabled support for legacy devices and updated to the newest controller and firmware this weekend. Any other ideas before I give up?

Also, what should I have my 5ghz channel widths set to? Does it matter after 40mhz?

Otherwise the network is awesome.

DEUSFORORUM
Aug 28, 2003
Is there any big advantage to the new gen 2 switches vs just buying an old gen 1 off of eBay? I was looking to add a UDM, but thought I could cut cost some buy using a gen 1 switch.

Raymond T. Racing
Jun 11, 2019

DEUSFORORUM posted:

Is there any big advantage to the new gen 2 switches vs just buying an old gen 1 off of eBay? I was looking to add a UDM, but thought I could cut cost some buy using a gen 1 switch.

IIRC the gen 1 switches use the old 48v passive POE, not 802.3af.

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe

n0tqu1tesane posted:

10m is technically still under the spec for HDMI cables, so you could probably just get away with a really high quality HDMI cable. Monoprice and a few other manufacturers also make fiber optic HDMI cables that handle long distances well.

As for the USB, I think you can use a couple active HDMI extension cables for that. I might put a powered hub at the end and plug the keyboard and controller into just to make sure they get enough power.

Oh thanks. I guess I didn't really think to just have a long hdmi cable. I kind of figured I needed some fancy networking equipment to make it work.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

Joda posted:

Oh thanks. I guess I didn't really think to just have a long hdmi cable. I kind of figured I needed some fancy networking equipment to make it work.

There are devices to send HDMI signals over the network, but all the ones I've seriously looked into introduce some sort of latency. Which is fine for most one-way video stuff, but not if you're going to be gaming.

If you had to go a good bit longer than 10m, there are other devices that convert the HDMI or USB to run over one or two Cat5/6 cables, but at your distance, a quality cable and some active USB extenders will likely work just fine.

KS
Jun 10, 2003
Outrageous Lumpwad

Steakandchips posted:

Q3. If I set up a Guest Network checked here (with VLAN unchecked):

and keep Guest Portal offline:

will this do what I want, i.e. set up a new wifi network that's segregated from other devices, and can only to get access to the internet? And I wouldn't need the smart switch and/or messing with the VLANs?

I want to back up to this and say that yes, this will work. Ubiquiti and many of the other vendors can handle segregating devices from each other on a -guest network without needing distinct vlans. Apologies if I missed someone else saying it.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

KS posted:

I want to back up to this and say that yes, this will work. Ubiquiti and many of the other vendors can handle segregating devices from each other on a -guest network without needing distinct vlans. Apologies if I missed someone else saying it.

Nice, will try it shortly.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

FunOne posted:

Still can't get this old Fitbit Aria wifi scale back on my Unifi network. I've enabled support for legacy devices and updated to the newest controller and firmware this weekend. Any other ideas before I give up?

Also, what should I have my 5ghz channel widths set to? Does it matter after 40mhz?

Otherwise the network is awesome.

I checked my nearby channels / usage and my neighbors are all up in the 132+ range (channel-wise), so I could do some nice VHT80 signals down at the lower end and avoid DFS issues + avoid the neighbors, and it's been awesome.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Also, double-posting — seems like the wiring in my house will be more difficult to do then planned... I take it I'm SOL sticking w/ Ubiquiti if I want a switch w/ 8-10 1GbE ports and a single 10GbE SFP+ slot?

Prescription Combs
Apr 20, 2005

movax posted:

Also, double-posting — seems like the wiring in my house will be more difficult to do then planned... I take it I'm SOL sticking w/ Ubiquiti if I want a switch w/ 8-10 1GbE ports and a single 10GbE SFP+ slot?

I have one of these and it's never had any issues: https://www.amazon.com/Intellinet-561167-Port-Gigabit-Switch/dp/B06XHYWM7V

Edit: n/m it's not SFP+ :doh:

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

put your money in a log cabin

Buglord

movax posted:

Pretty much. You're looking at north of $600 new for anything UniFi switch-only with SFP+ ports. You can probably find a deal on a used 16-XG but you'd still have to fill it up with copper SFPs if you need more than 4 1Gb copper connections.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

H2SO4 posted:

Pretty much. You're looking at north of $600 new for anything UniFi switch-only with SFP+ ports. You can probably find a deal on a used 16-XG but you'd still have to fill it up with copper SFPs if you need more than 4 1Gb copper connections.

Looks like the $399 USW-Pro-24 (non-PoE) has 2 10G SFP+ ports, but that might be overkill when movax only wants 8-10.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord

astral posted:

Looks like the $399 USW-Pro-24 (non-PoE) has 2 10G SFP+ ports, but that might be overkill when movax only wants 8-10.

Crap, I thought there had to be a non-POE version but their site is pretty terrible for comparing this stuff. I'm not even seeing the non-POE Pro model on their Products page at all, only in the actual store.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
Flex Mini switches are back in stock in the Ubiquiti store, if anyone is thinking of grabbing any. I bought one somewhat impulsively but I am moving soon and never seem to have an extra small switch when I need one, so we'll call it planning ahead :)

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Looks like OpenWRT among others have support for 802.11s (i.e. "mesh networking")

Has anyone had success buying one of those cheap $20-30 mini wifi routers, putting OpenWRT on there and getting mesh networking to work

e.g.

I recently found out that they make light bulb socket pass-through adapters with 5v USB out, and need to get wifi down a 100' walkway and out to the pool. I think if I string six of these together in a straight line I ought to be able to get ~5-10mbps of usable signal to check email etc

edit: before you ask no I don't have line of sight to do a pringles cantenna bullshit

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 02:30 on May 12, 2020

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Discussion Quorum posted:

Flex Mini switches are back in stock in the Ubiquiti store, if anyone is thinking of grabbing any. I bought one somewhat impulsively but I am moving soon and never seem to have an extra small switch when I need one, so we'll call it planning ahead :)

How much was the shipping for one of those?

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender

astral posted:

How much was the shipping for one of those?
For me, to northern NJ, the cheapest option was UPS Ground and it was about $9. I was curious if adding a second one...you know, just in case...made any difference, and nope. So why not. Got two.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

I somehow totaled my old server when messing with the BIOS boot options. Can't even get into the BIOS anymore, it's just stuck on POST now. It's not exactly a huge loss as I recently moved everything over to a newer server anyway (read: another less old laptop). It's a bit irksome as I was going to use it to monkey around with networking stuff, but oh well. Kind of wish I wasn't out of USB slots on the new box so I could just wipe the drive and toss it in the pool.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Warbird posted:

I somehow totaled my old server when messing with the BIOS boot options. Can't even get into the BIOS anymore, it's just stuck on POST now. It's not exactly a huge loss as I recently moved everything over to a newer server anyway (read: another less old laptop). It's a bit irksome as I was going to use it to monkey around with networking stuff, but oh well. Kind of wish I wasn't out of USB slots on the new box so I could just wipe the drive and toss it in the pool.

Already try a CMOS reset?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Took a swing at it, but all the screws are stripped to hell already so I think I may just pull the drive and be done with it. That laptop was held together by tape back in 2010, it’s condition has not improved since. I had the power plug zip tied in place because it wouldn’t charge unless it was at a certain angle.

I did get a chuckle out of seeing an old Geek Squad barcode sticker on the drive though.

E - Forgot to mention that I got around to setting up WireGuard with PiVPN. That QR code generator dohickey is pretty slick. I’m using noIP to maintain a pseudo static IP address and I’m using a nonstandard port on the pi with ssh auth only. Anything I may be forgetting there?

Warbird fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 12, 2020

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Hadlock posted:

Looks like OpenWRT among others have support for 802.11s (i.e. "mesh networking")

Has anyone had success buying one of those cheap $20-30 mini wifi routers, putting OpenWRT on there and getting mesh networking to work

e.g.

I recently found out that they make light bulb socket pass-through adapters with 5v USB out, and need to get wifi down a 100' walkway and out to the pool. I think if I string six of these together in a straight line I ought to be able to get ~5-10mbps of usable signal to check email etc

edit: before you ask no I don't have line of sight to do a pringles cantenna bullshit

I had 2 of those small blue square ones. They are poo poo and drop out all the time. Do not buy.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

I got one years ago and it’s been largely agreeable the odd time I’ve used it for some dumb bullshit the other. I need to go find another one of a similar form factor for when/if I ever start traveling for business again.

Rooted Vegetable
Jun 1, 2002

Hadlock posted:

I recently found out that they make light bulb socket pass-through adapters with 5v USB out

GL.inet may be able to help you here, many of their products are powered by USB and use OpenWRT: https://www.gl-inet.com/products/

I've only used one as a quick repeater while travelling but it was solid for that.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Hadlock posted:

Even if they work perfectly (they won't), a chain of six repeaters with no dedicated backhaul is going to get you a dialup-quality connection at the end of the chain.

You might want to look into powerline networking.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Anyone ever have Discord audio issues with their Unifi set up? Discord on both my phone or laptop will intermittently quit playing inbound audio unless I disconnect and then reconnect to a voice channel. I'd figure it was a phone or laptop issue but it happens on both devices.

H2SO4
Sep 11, 2001

Buglord
Suck it up and run a cable. Hide it in some surface mount raceway if you want, but it's always gonna be the best option unless completely out of the question (as in you have to run it through property you don't own/etc.

withoutclass posted:

Anyone ever have Discord audio issues with their Unifi set up? Discord on both my phone or laptop will intermittently quit playing inbound audio unless I disconnect and then reconnect to a voice channel. I'd figure it was a phone or laptop issue but it happens on both devices.

Not using a USG at the moment, but I can't say I recall ever running into problems with Discord audio even when I did.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

withoutclass posted:

Switch to data on your phone and see if that fixes it. It's more likely because Discord, like everyone else, is just pushing features out way faster than usual because of Covid, so there are probably some bugs they're introducing as well.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

withoutclass posted:

Can't say I've noticed this. If I had to guess it's probably more likely an issue with Windows not handling connecting/disconnecting audio devices well, which can also be triggered on sleep/hibernate/shutdown. I have had to go into Discord audio settings quite a few times and tell it to use another device and then switch it right back.

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Thanks, I'll check these suggestions out!

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM
Trip Report, ditched the old netgear that came from my ISP, got a Ubiquiti gateway and AP. A+ would absolutely buy again. Real nice.

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
So ever since I upgraded to an Edgerouter my Chromecast has had a really hard time staying connected and I'm not figuring out why. Tried with Smart Queue on and off, have correct DNS settings, no clue what else could be affecting it. All other wifi devices work like normal but the Chromecast just cannot do it.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

H2SO4 posted:

I'm honestly wrestling with my dreams for this place a bit. The Wi-Fi is "good" enough with my temporary setup (nanoHD in the 4F office, flexHD in the 0F garage blasting upwards) and an ActionTec MoCA adapter giving me my 1 GbE copper backbone from garage to 4F. But, it's only been like two weeks...

I still wanted / want to put an AP on every floor w/ Tx power set to the absolute lowest, and still want to put my N1548P in the garage with a bunch of wall jacks routed straight to it (including running 8 or so up to the office) but man, this place just did some weird poo poo wall-wise and no LV contractors are working right now. The living room is the worst offender — the cable I thought was just popped up from the garage actually goes outside, runs along the condo for a bit, and then pops back into the place.

So, for that particular physically bottlenecked location where I'm looking at either pulling the propane fireplace out temporarily, or ripping up granite and hardwood floor...trying to get a fiber there to a little 8 or 10-port switch makes sense to me, but the rational part of my brain also knows that I could probably just go buy another pair of ActionTecs and just have a little EdgeSwitch 8 there and call it a day — a Switch, Wi-Fi AP and ATV streaming 4K aren't going to saturate a 1GbE connection. But, if I'm going to put in effort, and especially in a place I own and intend to keep, leaving room for future 16K ultra-porn isn't the worst idea...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
I'm in the market for a router - main motivation is to just stop renting Verizon's like a sucker, but I might as well get some functional improvement while I'm at it.

Currently have the standard FiOS-G1100; service is Verzon's internet-only "gigabit." There's no discrete modem, just an ethernet cable run into the house from outside and plugged directly into the router (I think there'd be a coax cable involved if I had TV service).

Router is located in the basement of a 2-story house. In the basement I have this gigabit ethernet switch (accountinng for a Roku, media server and some console gaming stuff), and there's also an ethernet cable run up to the second floor of the house (serving another switch with a PC gaming setup). First floor is the "wifi-only" floor with most of the traffic coming from 2 Apple TVs.

I'm not opposed to a "gaming router" if it's gonna meet my needs, I just don't wanna go overboard with elite xtreme gamer features since the devices that matter already have a wired connection. Biggest area for improvement is definitely the Apple TVs on the first floor, especially since one of them is in a location with no basement under it (garage conversion).

Any recommendations for this setup? I'll just need to make sure that the router works with FiOS (from what I understand this would be more complicated if I had the Verizon TV service, so I'm off the hook there), and that it can accommodate two ethernet cables connected to their own switches. Thanks!

e: added some details for clarification

Minidust fucked around with this message at 16:28 on May 14, 2020