Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

Ace Transmuter posted:

This is the main reason we absolutely need the Nibelheim Flashback; to see/hear HD Cloud's model/VA play at being Zack

Cloud: aggressively doing squats in a moving truck while Sephiroth looks either bemused or annoyed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

BaDandy posted:

Cloud: aggressively doing squats in a moving truck while Sephiroth looks either bemused or annoyed.

I interpret this as Cloud aggressively twerking while Sephiroth slowly nods in approval.

Hatastrophe
Sep 28, 2007

karma_coma posted:

FF7 Character Guides

I really like this dudes character guide videos.. especially the "advanced" ones. Just an example but my first play through I totally missed that each characters focused attack increases stagger.

I'm really digging this game even though I beat it like 3 weeks ago. I really wish they'd announce some end game DLC.

I know this is from a few pages back, but these are pretty good guides IMO. Sadly, there isn't one for Aerith yet, but there is a good 3-C Soldier candidate video out there that doesn't concentrate solely on using -ga spells (still uses a few and also a lot of Stop, but it also showcases a few abilities and some good use of tempest). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHZl9UwNzVc

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I feel like a likely candidate for DLC will be Zack Crisis Core flashback stuff. Not super plot essential, can reskin Cloud for combat arenas

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Or. OR! We could maybe have a game that just doesn't have any additional DLC tacked on.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Gologle posted:

Or. OR! We could maybe have a game that just doesn't have any additional DLC tacked on.

:hmmyes:

night slime
May 14, 2014

Harrow posted:

Yeah but honestly that sounds like it would whip rear end

What's cool about this is that the hints that they were Kadaj, Loz, and Yazoo (or at least echoes of them) were subtle enough that a lot of people missed them, but clear enough that the people who caught them could point them out and have it suddenly make a lot of sense.

I thought they were supposed to be Cloud/Tifa/Barret until someone posted here about them.

The stuff people were posting about in the last page about Tifa and Cloud being crazy sounds like it's going to be extremely depressing to watch.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

The FF7OG stream I've been watching just wrapped up the Temple of the Ancient part and it honestly is pretty cringeworthy in hindsight.

They have this whole melodramatic Cait Sith sacrifice sequence even though it's extremely obvious it means nothing because he's a robot being controlled from Shinra HQ and also he just kidnapped Marlene and is holding her for ransom.

When Cloud is beating Aerith, Cait Sith 2 shows up and literally does a Grandpa Simpson "whoops is this a bad time" and 180s out of there

Then when Cloud wakes up afterward clearly distressed Barret is like "Everyone's got problems jackass"

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The FF7OG stream I've been watching just wrapped up the Temple of the Ancient part and it honestly is pretty cringeworthy in hindsight.

They have this whole melodramatic Cait Sith sacrifice sequence even though it's extremely obvious it means nothing because he's a robot being controlled from Shinra HQ and also he just kidnapped Marlene and is holding her for ransom.

When Cloud is beating Aerith, Cait Sith 2 shows up and literally does a Grandpa Simpson "whoops is this a bad time" and 180s out of there

Then when Cloud wakes up afterward clearly distressed Barret is like "Everyone's got problems jackass"

all that stuff you said is good. that's one of the best parts of the game

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
I think it was clarified somewhere that Cait Sith is actually an A.I Reeve is directing rather then outright controlling half the game. Presumably even Mr. Tuesti has have personal time to get blackout drunk and curl up under his desk for the night.

So that particular instance of Cait Sith actually did kick it.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah Cait Sith ruining the mood is great and I'm glad they doubled down on it for the remake by having him show up when the whole plate collapses and everyone dies.

Wouldn't be FFVII without mood dissonance

e: another example, you arrive on Barret's town where you find his sad backstory...then you go ride on rollercoasters and bet on chocobo races...then a bunch of people are murdered and you get sent to desert prison...and then to get out you have to win a chocobo race

lezard_valeth fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 12, 2020

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

night slime posted:

I thought they were supposed to be Cloud/Tifa/Barret until someone posted here about them.

The stuff people were posting about in the last page about Tifa and Cloud being crazy sounds like it's going to be extremely depressing to watch.

C'mon man, suffering from PTSD is not "being crazy". And for people who actually suffer from it, it's kind of demeaning.

Proteus Jones fucked around with this message at 16:23 on May 12, 2020

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

To be fair to Barret, that was a mistranslation of something more along the lines of "Yeah, you did gently caress up, but we can still fix it." Like something a big brother would say.

Cait Sith ruining the moment is a special brand of Square Enix humor I can never be mad at, tho. I think they even did the same joke with Dirge of Cerberus, didn't they?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I can't wait to see how they handle Cloud's personality post-Midgar because there are some pretty funny moments at that point. Like when the group gets to Gongaga and realizes there might be a spy with them and Cloud's like "I trust all of you! :yayclod: Even the cartoon cat who forced his way into our group with no explanation at the Gold Saucer!"

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I kind of figured the Cait Sith that dies was an AI, with his line of "This body may be a toy, but there's only one me. Don't forget me if another Cait Sith comes along." But like most things FF7, the translation was gibberish

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

FF7s translation was great for having been done in three weeks, the lovely thing was corporate only allowing three weeks for translation.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The worst thing about OG FF7's translation was attempting to affect a BEV accent for Barret, much improved by casting an actual black voice actor for the remake.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/TheFluffMother/status/1260103584626008066?s=20

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

:siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren::siren:

https://twitter.com/HBJohnXuandou/status/1260125177020473344?s=19

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Why does Aeris' hair look like a mummy's arm?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

You've seen how often Cloud just busts out dozens of squats for no reason, of course he has powerful glutes

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Gologle posted:

On the other hand, more Tifa fights

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1260268656518365189

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I never mind it when already-complete games add DLC. Back in my day we called those "expansions" and were happy to buy them to get a few more hours out of a game we enjoyed. I think the likelihood of DLC for this game is low, however.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
I just finished the game. I gotta say, if you haven't played the original in a really long time and didn't spend time with the Compilation stuff, the ending in Chapter 18 is just incomprehensible.

I wasn't upset by it or anything, I just no longer had any clue what was going on. I didn't really understand the Whispers (had to read some stuff after the game for that), I had no idea what was up with the black-robed Sephiroth clones. I fought Sephiroth in a void but I didn't know who that actually was. I didn't understand why they were showing me a scene of Zack, and I didn't remember how that scene originally happened because I never played Crisis Core. I didn't really remember that Biggs died in the original because he was kind of inconsequential so it meant nothing to me to see him in a bed at the end. When the credits started rolling I was just like... "what?"

I don't know how much Aerith knows about the timeline, why she knows about Sephiroth, why she says he's all wrong, or even who she's actually talking about. I do assume that the next game in the remake series will be a fanservice extravaganza where Cloud teams up with Zack to save Aerith.

I thought the game was too long, but still well-made and a lot of fun, and the performances from the English VAs were very good.

I did appreciate how massively horny the game was for Cloud.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Casey Finnigan posted:

I didn't really remember that Biggs died in the original because he was kind of inconsequential so it meant nothing to me to see him in a bed at the end. When the credits started rolling I was just like... "what?"

he dies (or very much appears to) in the game you just played, so that would be more you just not paying attention

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There was a big scene with it and everything.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

morallyobjected posted:

he dies (or very much appears to) in the game you just played, so that would be more you just not paying attention

I just figured he didn't die at that moment. He's still heavily injured and laid up in bed in the ending. Could've pulled him out with the rest of the survivors.

Casey Finnigan fucked around with this message at 19:54 on May 12, 2020

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In the original, you're not really supposed to know what's going on with the black-robed Sephiroth clone guys at this point, anyway, though they're definitely much more prominent in the remake Midgar than they are in the original (where I think the most you really get is the "This guy are sick" guy). They moved a few plot points from the original earlier in the remake probably to add some extra intrigue, so we get more black-robed Sephiroth clones and more Sephiroth and things like that, but not knowing what's up with them at this point is pretty normal.

As for Zack, I think it's kind of interesting how the moment he shows up is a "what the gently caress is going on" moment both for new players and for FF7 fans. For new players, it's "Who's this black-haired guy with Cloud's sword? How does he know Cloud? Is this a flashback of him taking Cloud to Midgar? Were they friends???" For FF7 fans, it's "wait what the gently caress, is Zack alive???" It's confusing for both groups for different reasons and I kinda respect that.

Casey Finnigan posted:

I just figured he didn't die at that moment. He's still heavily injured and laid up in bed in the ending. Could've pulled him out with the rest of the survivors.

I think for people who didn't play/don't clearly remember the original, the surprise of him surviving probably comes mostly from how Wedge appears to survive but then dies later, while we're told repeatedly that Biggs and Jessie are definitely dead. Then we see Biggs at the end and it's like, "Oh poo poo, Biggs lived! Cool."

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Yeah people keep bringing up incomprehensible chapter 18 is for some supposed newbie but its confusion/plotdump levels are honestly not that much more extreme than the original.

The original end of Midgar has Cloud saying "We gotta go after Sephiroth, he's worse than The Shinra and he's the real bad guy" and everyone just kind of going along with it for unspecified reasons.

At least the final confrontation in Remake 18 makes it pretty clear that Sephiroth is probably indeed worse than Shinra lol

Ace Transmuter
May 19, 2017

I like video games
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gjW6PkotdjU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

In the original, it was definitely Zack showing up at the North Crater that was a big "Now who the hell is this guy" moment

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Casey Finnigan posted:

I did appreciate how massively horny the game was for Cloud.

He has the greatest booty of them all. It's to be expected.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

DeathChicken posted:

In the original, it was definitely Zack showing up at the North Crater that was a big "Now who the hell is this guy" moment

Yeah, and to a degree I wish they'd held off on showing him and saved it for that kind of reveal, because the way he shows up there--in Cloud's place, after hours and hours of being Cloud and believing Cloud's an ex-SOLDIER and all of that--is a "wait what the gently caress" moment, and it kind of makes you feel a lesser version of the mindfuck Cloud must be feeling right then.

Assuming the same sort of reveal happens, new players are already going to know Zack's name and have already seen him with Cloud, so they can't really execute the twist the same way.

That said I'm very curious how they're going to go about it this time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Harrow posted:

Yeah, and to a degree I wish they'd held off on showing him and saved it for that kind of reveal, because the way he shows up there--in Cloud's place, after hours and hours of being Cloud and believing Cloud's an ex-SOLDIER and all of that--is a "wait what the gently caress" moment, and it kind of makes you feel a lesser version of the mindfuck Cloud must be feeling right then.

Assuming the same sort of reveal happens, new players are already going to know Zack's name and have already seen him with Cloud, so they can't really execute the twist the same way.

That said I'm very curious how they're going to go about it this time.

Sora shows up

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Sora shows up

Harrow posted:

It'll all be worth it when Sora, Donald, and Goofy tumble out of a portal in part 2 and give Cloud a keyblade

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Actually it would kind of own if there was like a Kingdom Hearts crossover VR fight in the next one that gives you a giant Buster Sword-sized keyblade as a bonus/gimmick weapon

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Harrow posted:

Actually it would kind of own if there was like a Kingdom Hearts crossover VR fight in the next one that gives you a giant Buster Sword-sized keyblade as a bonus/gimmick weapon

Just have Xehanort show up randomly while Sephiroth is doing one of his mindfuck sessions and start rambling about the true meaning of darkness while Sephiroth gets more and more pissed that this guy is stealing his negging thunder.

That...would be absolutely amazing.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
Oh yeah I also saw people earlier in this thread saying that the Barret/Shinra scene is bad. As in, it is kind of stupid that Barret is threatened by Shinra's gun and seems to be on the losing end of the argument. But I didn't have a problem with it because of one thing: Barret is instantly pissed off at Sephiroth('s clone) when he stabs President Shinra. I figure that if Barret was really afraid of Shinra's fancy pistol, he wouldn't immediately get angry at the guy who stabs him.

If Barret wasn't interrupted, I would imagine he would have just smacked the gun out of Shinra's hand and taken control of the situation. Shinra just tried to lull Barret into a false sense of security, why wouldn't Barret be willing to try the same thing?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Harrow posted:

It's confusing for both groups for different reasons and I kinda respect that.

They pulled this off on a couple fronts, honestly. For new players, they're all "ok, who is this Sephiroth guy and why is he all up in Cloud's face all the time", whereas for fans of the original it's "how does Sephiroth seem to know what's going to happen? Why is he doing all this stuff now?" For new players, they're all "what does being an Ancient mean for Aerith? Is that why she seems to know more than everyone else?" while older players are like "being an Ancient definitely didn't let her see the future in the original, so what's going on this time?"

Being able to give both old and new players that same feeling of confusion and uncertainty about the plot that players had back when they played OG FF7, and doing it while keeping the plot pretty comprehensible to both, is quite cool, honestly.