Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

peter gabriel posted:

Not enough bears?

Yes...very good. You should have one for each shell company.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

The ground is a finished and released game.

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames

Sarsapariller posted:

How to summarize Star Citizen for your credulous friends:

1) Present them with the official vision from 4 years ago about how Star Citizen's just about to come together:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HaJx4TdshFA

2) Present them with this bug compilation from 3 years ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANN8E-vd13U

3) Explain that despite those videos being 3-4 years out of date, they both perfectly represent the current state of the game, and that is why it is a scam.

---

Congratulations! If your friend is not a moron, you have successfully warned them about Star Citizen.

How to explain Star Citizen is a scam for the average joe:
Remember Anthem?

Remember the stage-demo with the fancy graphics, the wildlife, the "Cataclysm"?
Remember how none of that was in the game when they launched?
Remember how they promised to fix it in their roadmap, and then utterly failed?

Star Citizen is that, but they made a poo poo-ton of money off it, and then continuously cycled through what I described. Again, and again, and again, and again.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

zxqv8 posted:

Oh I dunno if this is standard for everyone or what, but everywhere I went, NPCs were just standing on chairs:

It’s been the in the game for years but somehow has gotten even worse. When I first played SC 2 years ago, maybe 1 out of every 10 NPCs would randomly stand on a chair once in a while. But I guess I just don’t understand super advanced subsumption AI development.

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

colonelwest posted:

It’s been the in the game for years but somehow has gotten even worse. When I first played SC 2 years ago, maybe 1 out of every 10 NPCs would randomly stand on a chair once in a while. But I guess I just don’t understand super advanced subsumption AI development.

"The floor is lava" AI working as intended.

I a Buydris

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

GyverMac posted:

A buddy of mine mentioned Star Citizen the other day, and that he thought it looked cool. I said its a total scam, but then I was lost for words as to how to explain it was a scam, its just so much wrong with this game. :psyduck:

EDIT:
How can i condense the trainwreck that is Star Citizen without going on a hour long tirade and sound like a madman?

"You know how Trek fans can be insufferable sometimes?"
"You know how Joss Weadon fans can be insufferable sometimes?"
"You know how libertarians are insufferable most of the time?"
"You know how PC Master race people are insufferable most of the time?"
"Now imagine a venn diagram, where they all meet, is Star Citizen."

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

colonelwest posted:

Most of the game is that way. It's come a long way from when you could relatively reliably hop in a ship, fly around, and occasionally try to shoot things. Every year I attempt to play this, and every year it's less playable and more prone to crash. But it gets bigger. Bigger, and less stable. So now there's more area than ever to do nothing in, and less likelihood any of it will work. Progress!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Spiderdrake posted:

I can't figure out how to make two diagonal lines into a butt or a bear so I'm not sure how to proceed

If there's one thing I'm good at, it's butt development.

Does that also tangentially make me good at game development?!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Dooguk posted:

When are they going to start using that Calder money for "advertising". You know, the 42 million they gave that seems to be laying in a drawer somewhere. Has anybody seen any advertising?

Rexzilla came and went. That was likely the marketing money.

At least, that was the official marketing spend with visible results. The rest of it probably got syphoned into numerous marketing shell companies and conglomerates all around the world designed to look like marketing.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

And everyone of them on a fat six figure salary of backers money.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Quavers posted:

:reddit: If SC ends failing, what will be saved?

Funny question I was thinking when watching a few videos showing 3.9 features.
Did CIG gave an idea of how much technology developped for SC could be salvaged for other projects in case the game flops?
I have no idea about the current quality in gaming, but when I see the insane graphics and models this alpha already have, I hope some parts of SC will end reused elsewhere in the future...
[EDIT] Ok, ok, I get it... What about if they succeed? I'm hoping this technology could still be used. I took the failure option as I don't see CIG sellling technology if they already have two games with a competitive advantage.

:shepspends: This "if the game flops" is so confusing to me... They've gathered far more money than needed to complete SC and S42, lots of people are already playing SC and likely more at the next major milestone or big update and so on...

:rant::sandance: 'more money than they need'? What? You realise they they've had outgoing for the past 8 years too. I would imagine their cashflow is very tight, and if all funding stopped today there is no way they'd have enough money to finish either game let alone both.

:colbert: Failure is not an option

:reddit: ok, ok, added an edit

:ohdear: If Star Citizen flops, another gaming company will buy what current exists and turn it into a playable game. It would make no sense to let years and years of effort and preparation go to waste considering the money already invested. The details of how this unfolds can be worrying, especially since the company buying the remains is under no obligation towards the backers to honour the perks promised to them.

I'm the other video game company that is looking at the failure that CIG has created over a near decade of work and with results that make no sense against the number of assets they have working on the project, complete with bugs so insane that it's not just some scripting issue but something completely broken deep inside the code.

I do not pursue this "great opportunity".

I guess somebody could make some money by throwing all the 3D assets at turbo squid or something though.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Videos like this and the people saying there are studios out there willing to buy this mess and finish it somehow need to get together and have a lot of sex until they make some kind of offshoot baby.

They need to get to the point where the noble and dedicated community will pick up the source code from the dying company and finish it, as they have mad skills and this is the way of the "failed crowdfunding video game project" and its fans.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Fwoderwick posted:

Now look, I can't bring myself to actively participate in this bear smuggling trainwreck but that doesn't mean I can let a Carter USM reference go by completely unremarked on here, a sub forum of the comedy website something awful dot com.

A powerful move, good work.

Thanks. Always nice to meet another person who appreciates the work of those urban poets.

Saw them at the Guild Hall in Preston.

Fruitbat gave me the middle finger while on stage while i was shouting "you fat bastard" at the top of my lungs.

Best night of my life.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Inacio posted:

i will never not be completely puzzled at some of the ships though, like the 600i and the 890.
they're ugly. they're weird and fake inside. they're tacky and superficial. yet they're whalebait - and they work. whales drool over them

you can't honestly tell me this looks good.

now compare it to these much cheaper ships (some of which are ships for Poors):

what the gently caress is wrong with star citizen and its whales?

The top ones look like Star Trek the next generation except with a lot more metal than plastic.

The bottom ones look like cheap Aliens ripoff stuff right down to the blue hued metals.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Titanic posted:

The top ones look like Star Trek the next generation

how dare you.

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Conversation with kiddos while playing last night posted:

I find the tram and enter with 5 seconds before it leaves and the lady says stand clear doors are closing.

Both my kids: whoa! what was that?

Me: That was a lady saying the doors are closing.

Door close and tram takes off... without me. I am now stuck in this limbo tram until the next one arrives. My daughter asks why it didn't move and I explain its a glitch, kind of like Vanellope from Ralph, it wasn't supposed it happen. New tram comes, same thing happens. I give up on going to the store and walk across to the tram for the spaceport. Tram takes off and kids are very impressed.

Son: How do you know where you are going?

Me: The tram only goes to one place.

Son: How do you know what place?

Me: It's taking me to the spaceport, so I can get on my ship.

I arrive, find a terminal, spawn my ship, take an elevator to the hanger, and get on. I go to my pilot seat and turn everything on, tell spaceport to open doors. Kids are ecstatic. Take off, switch to external view, retract landing gear, hit J to move the wings... lots of oooo's and aaaah's. I take off...

Daughter: Show us around your ship.

Me: Ok give me a sec.

Fly around the city for a minute. Stop, and try to exit my seat... nope. Hit J and still, nope. So I land on a building, and walk around. They are very amused by the toilet... lots of laughter.

Daughter: You have to go pee in this game, that's silly!

Daughter: Can you go into space?

Me: Yup, lets do it!

I take off and start heading to space.

Daughter: Are you moving?

Me: It doesnt look like it right. But all you can see is the stars, you have no perspective right now, no reference point.

I move the camera so she can see the ground and have a reference. Now she sees that we are moving.

Daughter: You are moving very slow.

I show them my speed indicator.

Me: This is how fast I am moving right now, and when I get into space I will be moving even faster.

I get into space, and my speed is maxed.

Daughter: It doesn't look like you are moving at all.

Me: Again, no perspective. I am moving as fast as my ship will go without going into quantum speed.

Son: What is that?

Me: I will show you.

Spool and launch...... 30k

OK, lets go watch some Star Wars!

Kiddos: Yaaaay!

Sample_text
Apr 28, 2018

by VideoGames
TL;DR :
"How can this be a scam if I'm still giving it thousands of dollars?"

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Agony Aunt posted:

Thanks. Always nice to meet another person who appreciates the work of those urban poets.

Fruitbat gave me the middle finger while on stage while i was shouting "you fat bastard" at the top of my lungs.

Best night of my life.

I used to go round to their house in Brixton back in the 80s. We had friends in common.

Jon Beast died 6 years ago. Tempus fugit eh.

Kopitar
May 21, 2009

Zazz Razzamatazz posted:

:viggo: "dude, sit down. the experts are talking and you're not one of them" :smug:

Oh, that Kazan...

He always manages to strike that perfect balance of wrong and condescendingly wrong.

Never change buddy. :thumbsup:

he's even worse in political threads

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016

colonelwest posted:

good thing they are working hard on bartender ai - that should clear everything up

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
Toilets. Are we actually gonna have a pee and poo bar in the hud?

And how will a full bladder effect the player? What happens if i can´t get hold of a toilet? I guess a quick space pee will end in crimestat.

So many questions.

----------------------------------

While I don't have any actual information on this through CIG, I have played just about every survival game out there so I can probably give a solid idea of how it could work.

Currently, the game that handles this the best, in my opinion, is Scum. To be honest I wish SC had a whole metabolism system similar to Scum. Before you all chew off my head for saying that, let me explain.

In Scum there is a full metabolism system. This covers everything from diet all the way to exercise. Literally, everything that's already present on Microtech. As a player, you could eat anything you find and in a zombie apocalypse, you eat what you can get whether that be a box of chocolate or a big rear end raw pumpkin. Every item that you can consume has stats that influence calories and these calories are broken down even further. So you have your sugar intake, H2o, sodium intake, etc, etc. This means if you ate nothing but chocolate your sugar intake would be through the roof. That, in turn, causes something like a sugar crash where you get a big boost in energy, and then it's all gone. Much the same, if you kept that diet up your character, would gain weight and their stats would be reduced respectively. This is something that I feel needs to be in SC. If we have all these good options and they're going for realism it's kinda required, especially if they want us to actually take our time with this.

Carrying on this eventually leads to needing to defecate and urinate. This could be done in a number of ways. Bad food could lead to the runs which would put you on a sudden timer you have no knowledge of. A secondary outcome could be you ate too many mushrooms and your fiber is through the roof and you need to pinch off a brick. Or you could be a balanced person and overall be able to time things out properly with hours to spare.

The simplest way CIG could add this is simply put it as a release to food. If food goes in it has to go out. This would most likely be 2-4x that of the hunger meter. Meaning you would likely have to poo poo once every 4-8 hours of REAL time. At that rate you would just do it like you would before going on a long trip in real life You have a 2-4 hour drive you better male sure you use the bathroom. The same would apply here if we don't get a dedicated meter or timer. making GBS threads your pants is an interesting concept. In Scum you don't even do this, you just stop and pop a squat where you are, no toilet necessary. It's degrading and you are totally open for anyone to shoot you while you do this.

I honestly think it'll just be a meter and if you let it run out your dude will poo poo in his suit. Granted no one would care since it's a game, but it's likely CIG will make it so that suit is probably ruined or shop keepers or security would keep you out of populated areas due to smell

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
Star Citizen: making GBS threads your pants is an interesting concept.

Fwoderwick
Jul 14, 2004

Agony Aunt posted:

Best night of my life.

Ah I only got to see them when they did the first "Last Ever Gig" at Brixton, by that point they were much more gentrified and playing all the backing music off an iphone. Full agreement on the poets thing, JimBob's a very underrated lyricist.

Anyway don't want to associate actual talent with the Crobbler, no matter how tenuous!

Brownhat
Jan 25, 2012

One cannot be a good person and enforce unjust laws.

If they really want to innovate they should make piss and poo poo grenades like in Death Stranding.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

If anyone can nail toilet gameplay it will been CIG - they have been producing all kind of poo poo for years now.

Drunk Theory
Aug 20, 2016

Oven Wrangler
I mean, at this point, backers would be thrilled if they were making GBS threads their pants and not the servers.

Best Bi Geek Squid
Mar 25, 2016
the inevitable consequences of eating

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
the photo of the roberts family outing in the treetops will forever haunt me

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

That person that wrote the making GBS threads their pants must have been be the script writer for the new Capone movie.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jVqefcT5zc

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

Kosumo posted:

If anyone can nail toilet gameplay it will been CIG - they have been producing all kind of poo poo for years now.

Plus with the power of Squatty Potty behind them they're the basically masters of poo poo at this point

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iPtIM0P0Q8

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Threw that into Google and got so many LOL worthy articles from the past. My favorite so far:

https://www.thelonegamers.com/2015/07/13/you-are-wrong-if-you-think-star-citizens-development-is-behind-schedule/

Asmodai_00
Nov 26, 2007

Viscous Soda posted:

Threw that into Google and got so many LOL worthy articles from the past. My favorite so far:

https://www.thelonegamers.com/2015/07/13/you-are-wrong-if-you-think-star-citizens-development-is-behind-schedule/

Basic modeling, basic texturing, basic animations – all stuff the full-time studio CIG has now could knock out in 1-2 weeks.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Sugababes are in!

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws0YrzCSIck

Zazz Razzamatazz
Apr 19, 2016

by sebmojo

Best Bi Geek Squid posted:

Toilets. Are we actually gonna have a pee and poo bar in the hud?

And how will a full bladder effect the player? What happens if i can´t get hold of a toilet? I guess a quick space pee will end in crimestat.

So many questions.

----------------------------------

While I don't have any actual information on this through CIG, I have played just about every survival game out there so I can probably give a solid idea of how it could work.

Currently, the game that handles this the best, in my opinion, is Scum. To be honest I wish SC had a whole metabolism system similar to Scum. Before you all chew off my head for saying that, let me explain.

In Scum there is a full metabolism system. This covers everything from diet all the way to exercise. Literally, everything that's already present on Microtech. As a player, you could eat anything you find and in a zombie apocalypse, you eat what you can get whether that be a box of chocolate or a big rear end raw pumpkin. Every item that you can consume has stats that influence calories and these calories are broken down even further. So you have your sugar intake, H2o, sodium intake, etc, etc. This means if you ate nothing but chocolate your sugar intake would be through the roof. That, in turn, causes something like a sugar crash where you get a big boost in energy, and then it's all gone. Much the same, if you kept that diet up your character, would gain weight and their stats would be reduced respectively. This is something that I feel needs to be in SC. If we have all these good options and they're going for realism it's kinda required, especially if they want us to actually take our time with this.

Carrying on this eventually leads to needing to defecate and urinate. This could be done in a number of ways. Bad food could lead to the runs which would put you on a sudden timer you have no knowledge of. A secondary outcome could be you ate too many mushrooms and your fiber is through the roof and you need to pinch off a brick. Or you could be a balanced person and overall be able to time things out properly with hours to spare.

The simplest way CIG could add this is simply put it as a release to food. If food goes in it has to go out. This would most likely be 2-4x that of the hunger meter. Meaning you would likely have to poo poo once every 4-8 hours of REAL time. At that rate you would just do it like you would before going on a long trip in real life You have a 2-4 hour drive you better male sure you use the bathroom. The same would apply here if we don't get a dedicated meter or timer. making GBS threads your pants is an interesting concept. In Scum you don't even do this, you just stop and pop a squat where you are, no toilet necessary. It's degrading and you are totally open for anyone to shoot you while you do this.

I honestly think it'll just be a meter and if you let it run out your dude will poo poo in his suit. Granted no one would care since it's a game, but it's likely CIG will make it so that suit is probably ruined or shop keepers or security would keep you out of populated areas due to smell

Remember how GTA:San Andreas had a food system? And how you could eat a bunch of cheeseburgers and get fat? And how you could run and get un-fat? And all the awesome fun that system brought to the game?

Yeah, me neither...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viscous Soda
Apr 24, 2004

Asmodai_00 posted:

Basic modeling, basic texturing, basic animations – all stuff the full-time studio CIG has now could knock out in 1-2 weeks.

From the same site/author:

Edit: Actually... is that short enough for a thread title?

Viscous Soda fucked around with this message at 22:05 on May 12, 2020