Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

I want a Fyre Festival-type documentary on Quibi

Especially if it is produced by Netflix or other such competitor Quibi set out to make irrelevant.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I despised Quibi just because their stupid ads were all over the place. And there were like three of them. So whenever I’d be on Facebook or twitter I’d have the same dumb ad jammed in my face every thirty seconds and gently caress that, and gently caress them. It’s like some companies don’t understand oversaturation is a thing.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
Quibi does however subtly remind me of Qwikster, the story of which I will someday tell to young people while drinking a beer in a rocking chair on a porch.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Quibi does however subtly remind me of Qwikster, the story of which I will someday tell to young people while drinking a beer in a rocking chair on a porch.

that was just netflix attempting to spin off their DVD mail thing right?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Last Chance posted:

that was just netflix attempting to spin off their DVD mail thing right?

In the dumbest possible way.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

In the dumbest possible way.

Good idea, reeeeealllyyy bad planning.

McPhearson
Aug 4, 2007

Hot Damn!

They didn't even secure the Qwikster twitter handle before they announced the name. It belonged to some guy with an Elmo smoking weed avatar.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BigDave posted:

Good idea
Can you elaborate on this? I'm trying to think of a single reason why creating a separate service with a terrible name for something Netflix already provided makes any sense at all (unless it was a bookkeeping thing?)

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Last Chance posted:

Can you elaborate on this? I'm trying to think of a single reason why creating a separate service with a terrible name for something Netflix already provided makes any sense at all (unless it was a bookkeeping thing?)

I'd also say that there is a market niche for short, 10 min or less curated original content content people can watch on the go or when they have small breaks. Long enough to actually have a story but short enough that it does not matter if you miss something or cannot completely focus on it.

Netflix et al. has been recently heavily leaning towards the "movies and binge-watchable serials" which are "full evening" viewing sessions, and Youtube and such are so full of absolute poo poo that unless you are recommended something, you won't find anything unless you already subscribe to that channel or spend the entire 10 minutes looking for something.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Last Chance posted:

Streaming had eclipsed disc rentals, and they tend to be separate customer profiles, why not spin off that aspect of the business and run it as a separate entity?

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

BigDave posted:

Streaming had eclipsed disc rentals, and they tend to be separate customer profiles, why not spin off that aspect of the business and run it as a separate entity?

It seems very consumer-hostile. why not just do all of that transparently behind the scenes and let Jed in rural Iowa with no real broadband keep renting his discs from the same site? which is what they ended up doing, but still

Boywhiz88
Sep 11, 2005

floating 26" off da ground. BURR!
It was the prime time to buy Netflix stock. They were still like.. 6 months out from House of Cards premiering and this announcement just ranked the stock to :tenbux: or so. And within a couple years it was over $100.

I was so mad at myself for not scrounging up SOME funds for it, because my take was that the stock would rebound no matter what because they had become so ubiquitous. In 2012, there were dedicated Netflix buttons for some models of Smart TV. It wasn’t gonna go anywhere.

Piss Meridian
Mar 25, 2020

by Pragmatica
Quibi must have target the American market hard, I've literally never heard of it

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

Der Kyhe posted:

Paramount sent C&D to basically anyone who had anything related to Star Trek in the Internet, IN THE 90'S.

There was a point when the Paramount marketing department was mailing out "start your own Star Trek fansite" kits to people and the Paramount legal department was threatening to sue the folks who used it.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

https://twitter.com/LitCen1/status/1259923663563812870

quote:

'treating us like they treat the drivers.'
:discourse:

SimplyCosmic
May 18, 2004

It could be worse.

Not sure how, but it could be.

Last Chance posted:

It seems very consumer-hostile. why not just do all of that transparently behind the scenes and let Jed in rural Iowa with no real broadband keep renting his discs from the same site? which is what they ended up doing, but still

From a Netflix at 20 article, the reason given in an email at the time was

quote:

We realized that streaming and DVD by mail are becoming two quite different businesses, with very different cost structures, different benefits that need to be marketed differently, and we need to let each grow and operate independently. It’s hard for me to write this after over 10 years of mailing DVDs with pride, but we think it is necessary and best: In a few weeks, we will rename our DVD by mail service to “Qwikster”.

But likely they were hoping they could sell off the DVD rental business and the costs associated with physical media and concentrate solely on their digital vision.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That happened at a really weird point where their disc service had the most content and their streaming service was just kind of there and had some oddities. I think I started streaming on it because they had BSG on it, for example.

So for them to say "you want both, it'll cost ya" just wasn't well timed at all.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

bunnyofdoom posted:

Holy poo poo. For once Katzenberg ripped off Disney out of spite and jealously instead of other way around.

What's Eisner up to anyways these days?

I was just checking in on him yesterday. Apparently he owns Bojack Horseman, Topps trading cards and Portsmouth Football Club.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Tornante_Company

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Tex Avery posted:

That was the first and only Sizzler I've ever eaten at. I used to have to go into Flagstaff all the time to run errands that I couldn't take care of where I lived, and my wife and her family would rave about it every time we went by, and lament the fact that our budget didn't really allow for eating at restaurants they enjoyed. I finally saved up enough to pay for all four of us to eat there and I was so disappointed by it. After two or three years of hype, the reality was heartbreaking.

Based on the opinions of friends that live/lived in the area, it won't be missed.

It's definitely not great. I can see being pretty disappointed if people were talking it up. It is really somewhere between fast food and Applebee's.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Quibi is also a union busting attempt, exploiting a loophole in most associated union contracts that make short form web content like they are producing pay the union workers at lower rates.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/CNN/status/1260671185282641920

:thermidor:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Thirty years ago it seemed like every town on Long Island had a Sizzler, they were all over the northeast. Now there's one in Florida, a few in some western states, and like sixty in California.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Thirty years ago it seemed like every town on Long Island had a Sizzler, they were all over the northeast. Now there's one in Florida, a few in some western states, and like sixty in California.
We used to have one near the house I grew up in in Florida, but it closed years ago. Even as a kid I knew that place was bad, but if I recall, they had an ice cream bar

Basticle
Sep 12, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

That happened at a really weird point where their disc service had the most content and their streaming service was just kind of there and had some oddities. I think I started streaming on it because they had BSG on it, for example.

So for them to say "you want both, it'll cost ya" just wasn't well timed at all.

and ironically nowadays their streaming content is non-existent if you exclude things they made and straight-to-dvd dreck

p.s. I'm from Ohio and have never heard of or seen a Sizzler in my life.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Basticle posted:

and ironically nowadays their streaming content is non-existent if you exclude things they made and straight-to-dvd dreck

p.s. I'm from Ohio and have never heard of or seen a Sizzler in my life.

Wait are we still talking about Netflix? I watch classic content on there for hours a day, We just got done with the BttF trilogy and are working our way through community.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I think inflation and rising meat costs have just made the <$10 steakhouse business model untenable, and if you're going to pay more than that you might as well go somewhere better than the sizzler.

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.
The one buffet style trend I sincerely like are Brazillian steakhouses and it pains me to think that they might not survive this mess.

kumba
Nov 8, 2003

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

enjoy the ride

Lipstick Apathy

Tristesse posted:

The one buffet style trend I sincerely like are Brazillian steakhouses and it pains me to think that they might not survive this mess.

gently caress. i hadn't thought of this and now i am sad

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Tristesse posted:

IMO they are very overrated

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

FlamingLiberal posted:

IMO they are very overrated

How so? I've had good experiences at Texas de Brazil and its non-chain local equivalents.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Didn't Brazil burn down half the Amazon to make more cow farms

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

I thought they were doing it to grow more soy in an attempt to usurp the US’ position as the #1 soy exporter to China since Trump has spent most of his term blowing up that trade partnership.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
They did it first for McDonald's beef exports. They did it again for soy beans. They have/had a lot of forest to go around.

China's been getting it's soy from Russia and Brazil, but neither can produce in the quantity and low cost the US can. So I'm sure everyone would love to figure out a deal and one will be finalized sometime late January 2021.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Goober Peas posted:

How so? I've had good experiences at Texas de Brazil and its non-chain local equivalents.
Just my personal opinion

It’s also not cheap (last time I went it was $55/person), so you better be prepared to eat until you get the meat sweats

Tristesse
Feb 23, 2006

Chasing the dream.

Goober Peas posted:

Texas de Brazil is the only thing I miss about living in Orlando.

Fumaofthelake
Dec 30, 2004

Is it handsome in here, or is it just me?

My local Texas de Brazil is half price for Friday lunch. Once I convinced our dept (which usually maxes out at lovely in-house catered taco bar or maybe some coffee) to let me take our project team to TdB.

There were four of us and one guy is Brazilian and gave us tips on what was the closest to “real” and drinks and desserts and it was amazing.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3YGtQ40Qvs

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FilthyImp posted:

It also helps to realize that at the time Netflix's only competition was Hulu. Hulu wasn't even really doing a whole lot beyond current seasons of TV at the time, so it was more of a side-service.

I'm also suspecting that's when streaming rights were starting to become an issue. Netflix probably got everything for penny's on the dollar, but seeing how successful it was, renegotiations were probably in the works, so it makes sense.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

I never understood Sizzler, and during my fascination with finding out they still existed and some were nearby I looked up and...its a lovely steak house? What was actually on offer? Buffet shrimp, salad, steaks? I never ended up going because like all buffet/AYCE its always a matter of shoving down as much expensive food as you can to get your money's worth.

Doesn't matter, if Soup Plantation is going under can't imagine the Sizzler franchise rising up to new prominence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Fumaofthelake posted:

My local Texas de Brazil is half price for Friday lunch. Once I convinced our dept (which usually maxes out at lovely in-house catered taco bar or maybe some coffee) to let me take our project team to TdB.

There were four of us and one guy is Brazilian and gave us tips on what was the closest to “real” and drinks and desserts and it was amazing.

Same here, and they also do a Sunday brunch for $30 with unlimited mimosas. There's usually a line when they open.

edit: Quincy's was my favorite mainstream steakhouse. They usually had ok-to-decent cuts of steak and of course those big fat yeast rolls. I shed a tear when they went under.