Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Nenonen)
What should the presidential powers be in 2020?
This poll is closed.
UNLIMITED!!!! URKKI 2.0!!!!!! 3 23.08%
Sauli should be allowed to telecast to our homes whenever he pleases, but that should be the limit. 2 15.38%
He should be limited to writing mildly worded letters to HBL and other provincial newspapers. 2 15.38%
None. More power to Sanna & Katri & Maria & Li & Anna-Maja & Jenni! 2 15.38%
Unlimited, but every decision must be subject to a plebiscite. 0 0%
None, but the president's life must be video streamed 24 /7 for the duration of their term, with no censorship. 4 30.77%
Total: 13 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

Bensa posted:

Arxiv is a preprint platform, getting something up on it does not validate anything except that it passed a preliminary spam/insanity check. He collaborates with one guy, with a verizon.net e-mail address.
The second link is even more suspect, just go the front page of that site and read about "dissident science".
We're in the core of the problem, here! If only places where you get to publish your findings are cooky sites or sites hosted by yourself, there's no problem IF the systems employed by publishing papers were good enough. Now we're in a situation where a bunch of ivory tower greyskulls tell me that this one idea is false and therefore it should not be published. Other greyskulls tell me that since it has not been published in a reputable journal, it must be false. This is circular reasoning if anything.

While there are too many concepts discovered by the human race to be comprehended by a single person, in theory it should be possible to backtrack the path from current scientific consensus and see where certain ideas came from, why they were accepted and why rivaling ideas were rejected. Otherwise you're just taking someone's word for a fact and we know how well that usually goes.

Bensa posted:

Fundamental constants don't have to be (and probably aren't) derived from anything, the speed of light could be one like that. His idea of it not being constant has not been observed, but if the rate of change is so small where we could not test it on human timescales, then its similar to string theory in not being testable/verifiable.
I agree that there is no assurance which would state that there are no magic numbers out there, but if the foundation of the speed of light is one of the biggest open questions in modern physics and someone produces a set of ideas which would explain why it is exactly as much as it is, surely they would be worth investigating?

not a bot posted:

It's not irrelevant at all since your whole argument hinges on Suntola being right. Also I'm curious if you have any expertise in general relativity or are you just saying that he is right because it looks neat?
I've just university engineer physics knowledge, which is why this is A WEE BIT TRICKY to check up on these concepts. I can follow the beginning of the Dynamic Universe book because it's essentially just same high school physics as anywhere else, but past that... :saddowns:

And as I said, even if we forget Suntola altogether, my initial claim was the universities are religious organisations like any organisations that are formed by humans. The people inside have not magically overcome our species' cult mentality, fear of outsiders, fear of angering superiors, etc. I would find this claim really hard to refute, but feel free to try.

not a bot posted:

The problem with Suntola is that he makes claims which aren't based on any actual evidence and then claims he's being persecuted because modern physics hasn't been thrown into trash heap. He's basically writing physics fanfic.
Here's where I would disagree, though. Since we have loads of measurement data of our universe, any new model would have to accommodate that data. If this is not the case, then it should be easily shown that the underlying model produces inconsistent values from this set of measurements. With the certainty that all these high and mighty science people have discredited his work, I'm sure their skills are such that presenting this inconsistency would be child's play!

Suntola shows with many examples of how his model corresponds with measurements taken from our universe.

And don't get me wrong. Universities are the best chance we currently have for gaining information about the world around us. But they're far from infallible, and have time and time again made huge fuckups in the history of their existence. They will inevitably gently caress up again and again until some ideal (and probably impossible) mode of operation for them is discovered and employed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

SnowblindFatal posted:

I've just university engineer physics knowledge, which is why this is A WEE BIT TRICKY to check up on these concepts. I can follow the beginning of the Dynamic Universe book because it's essentially just same high school physics as anywhere else, but past that... :saddowns:

And as I said, even if we forget Suntola altogether, my initial claim was the universities are religious organisations like any organisations that are formed by humans. The people inside have not magically overcome our species' cult mentality, fear of outsiders, fear of angering superiors, etc. I would find this claim really hard to refute, but feel free to try.

Yeah I imagined that would be the case. Suntola doesn't appeal to people with no understanding of physics but to people who understand a little and see his work as neat, simple and appealing to common sense. The problem is that physics is none of those things.

Saying that universities are religious organisations is just babble. They aren't religious oragnisations since they haven't been defined as religious organisations and that's pretty much it. Of course they have their own customs and most people try not to rock the boat. That said, you're equating universities with global scientific community which is wrong. Also you seem to be saying that there is some weird global effort to bury the truth (Suntola's work) because there is friction inside university faculties.

Suntola has been peddling his Dynamic Universe Theory for 25 years, appears semi-regularily on radio and TV, holds lectures about it and has written a book about it which has been published in English as well. It's all out there and no-one reputable is biting. It's not because of some grand conspiracy or jealous physicsists. It's because his theory has massive holes in it and gives no new information. There's nothing new you can do with it. It's not interesting.

SnowblindFatal posted:

Here's where I would disagree, though. Since we have loads of measurement data of our universe, any new model would have to accommodate that data. If this is not the case, then it should be easily shown that the underlying model produces inconsistent values from this set of measurements. With the certainty that all these high and mighty science people have discredited his work, I'm sure their skills are such that presenting this inconsistency would be child's play!

That's because it's largerly reverse-engineered. He arrives largely to the same conclusions as accepted theories, but to get there he has to change stuff, like the speed of light in a vacuum not being a constant. That also should mess with other stuff like Schwarzschild radius and gravitational waves. And here's the interesting bit, light bends due to gravity! According to Suntola the speed of light isn't constant because it's tied with the expansion of 4th (physical) dimension. Gravitational waves are handled the same way as in general relativity and are not affected by the 4th dimension. That's just silly.

Suntola's theory does away with dark matter and energy while introducing many other complications and not arriving in anything new. Yet you view his theory more credible than current understanding of general relativity while ignoring all the issues with the theory and having to imagine some global conspiracy to keep his mouth shut (even though he is very very loud). Why? Because he makes all that difficult physics stuff seem all neat and simple? That's some serious kaiken maailman dosentit poo poo right there.
Please read up on theory of relativity and try reading Suntola's stuff or reviews of it after you know about the subject and you'll see why it's not given a lot of thought. Kari Enqvist's Johdatus suhteellisuusteoriaan is a good summary of a university course about the theory of relativity.

This is the dumbest finpol derail, soon we'll be talking about whether fairies are real.

not a bot fucked around with this message at 19:49 on May 12, 2020

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

not a bot posted:

Yeah I imagined that would be the case. Suntola doesn't appeal to people with no understanding of physics but to people who understand a little and see his work as neat, simple and appealing to common sense. The problem is that physics is none of those things.

Saying that universities are religious organisations is just babble. They aren't religious oragnisations since they haven't been defined as religious organisations and that's pretty much it. Of course they have their own customs and most people try not to rock the boat. That said, you're equating universities with global scientific community which is wrong. Also you seem to be saying that there is some weird global effort to bury the truth (Suntola's work) because there is friction inside university faculties.

Suntola has been peddling his Dynamic Universe Theory for 25 years, appears semi-regularily on radio and TV, holds lectures about it and has written a book about it which has been published in English as well. It's all out there and no-one reputable is biting. It's not because of some grand conspiracy or jealous physicsists. It's because his theory has massive holes in it and gives no new information. There's nothing new you can do with it. It's not interesting.

That's because it's largerly reverse-engineered. He arrives largely to the same conclusions as accepted theories, but to get there he has to change stuff, like the speed of light in a vacuum not being a constant. That also should mess with other stuff like Schwarzschild radius and gravitational waves. And here's the interesting bit, light bends due to gravity! According to Suntola the speed of light isn't constant because it's tied with the expansion of 4th (physical) dimension. Gravitational waves are handled the same way as in general relativity and are not affected by the 4th dimension. That's just silly.

Suntola's theory does away with dark matter and energy while introducing many other complications and not arriving in anything new. Yet you view his theory more credible than current understanding of general relativity while ignoring all the issues with the theory and having to imagine some global conspiracy to keep his mouth shut (even though he is very very loud). Why? Because he makes all that difficult physics stuff seem all neat and simple? That's some serious kaiken maailman dosentit poo poo right there.
Please read up on theory of relativity and try reading Suntola's stuff or reviews of it after you know about the subject and you'll see why it's not given a lot of thought. Kari Enqvist's Johdatus suhteellisuusteoriaan is a good summary of a university course about the theory of relativity.

This is the dumbest finpol derail, soon we'll be talking about whether fairies are real.

Hey, thanks, this is basically the first time I hear something resembling even closely solid criticism. Still not quite what I'd want. But I agree, this derail is goofy.

And yeah you basically get me but then turn it up a notch to add a little spice to it and this is fine.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
It's not the speed of light it's the speed of everything. :colbert:

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019

SnowblindFatal posted:

And yeah you basically get me but then turn it up a notch to add a little spice to it and this is fine.

I blame the corona virus :haw:

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

endlessmonotony posted:

It's not the speed of light it's the speed of everything. :colbert:

This guy gets it

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

SnowblindFatal posted:

We're in the core of the problem, here! If only places where you get to publish your findings are cooky sites or sites hosted by yourself, there's no problem IF the systems employed by publishing papers were good enough. Now we're in a situation where a bunch of ivory tower greyskulls tell me that this one idea is false and therefore it should not be published. Other greyskulls tell me that since it has not been published in a reputable journal, it must be false. This is circular reasoning if anything.
There are huge sections of theoretical physics we know to be wrong and yet are studied and regularly published in proper journals, like N=4 super Yang-Mills. That is because they contribute something new to the field of theoretical physics, while still being wrong. DU could potentially be entirely wrong but still contribute useful mathematical tools if it were internally consistent, which seems to be the major criticism.

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

not a bot posted:

I blame the corona virus :haw:

Times are tough. Nothing in the national Pikku-Kakkonen indoctrination prepared us for this.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

not a bot posted:

Agreed, two days about some phycisist dipshit is too much. Science is not real, fairies are.

:ducksiren: IDIOT KING PÄIVÄKÄSKY #1 :ducksiren:

X. Any talk about Suntola is explicitly forbidden for the next 24 hours.

Don't do it or you will be probated.

Y. For the next 24 hours, every post in this thread must include evidence for the existence for tonttus, keijus and other fairy beings.

Do this or you will be probated. I know this is a drastic measure, but the tiny goblin on my shoulder keeps whispering that it's for the best. I trust Mr. Carillo's wisdom.

Sincerely,

your friendly neighbourhood idiot king
:horse::horse::horse:

not a bot
Jan 9, 2019
Caught a ghost of finland past and future on camera!

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you

Golden Gate Bride
Oct 23, 2008
knife to meet you
Also ban the despot Nenonen and strip him of all his powers

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Wortpine
Oct 4, 2013
We got a fascist regime in this thread, I'm blaming Tuomo Suntola for it.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Would you say Paavo is more of a goblin or a gnome?

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

bloom posted:

Would you say Paavo is more of a goblin or a gnome?

sanoisin että hän on kepun pettotaikojen arkkishamaani

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

vai että todisteita menninkäisistä

triviaalia tän ketjun asukeille, sekä juomisen lopettaminen että näytön virtanappulan painaminen tuottaa kiistattomia tuloksia

SnowblindFatal
Jan 7, 2011

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

minua alkoi yhtäkkiä häiritsemään etten muista sen keijun nimeä josta rölli tykkäsi. muistan että oli joku keiju, mutten muista siitä paljon muuta

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

SpiritOfLenin posted:

minua alkoi yhtäkkiä häiritsemään etten muista sen keijun nimeä josta rölli tykkäsi. muistan että oli joku keiju, mutten muista siitä paljon muuta

Ainakin oli Maahiskeiju siinä leffassa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cr4so6M20nw

Ai niin ja TV-sarjassa hengaili Tiina-tonttu

Zat fucked around with this message at 23:58 on May 12, 2020

SpiritOfLenin
Apr 29, 2013

be happy :3

ai niin se oli Tiina-Tonttu. se vaan jotenkin tuntui hyvin keijumaiselta

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
He's not. I glanced through the first paper, where he seems to be fitting his model to a supernova dataset, showing that the fit is pretty good but not as good as the standard model, and the claiming that the SM fit gets worse if you also fit it simultaneously to some cosmic microwave data. Since he never even attempts to fit his own model to that microwave data, the comparison is pointless, and I'm not surprised he does not attract a large academic readership.

SnowblindFatal posted:

Another problem with the theory of general relativity is that the speed of light is just a magic number with no basis on anything.
Theories having parameters is not a problem. His theory has some too.

SnowblindFatal posted:

I think it is most reasonable to expect that the organisations which (ideally) form the whole basis to our world views to acknowledge and assess competing models, especially when they are so promising. Otherwise, how are they different from how the pope reacted to Galileo?
It seems to me his model was briefly assessed and found not promising. Now he wants it assesses again, and again, and again until the reception changes, and so do hundreds of others. Nobody has the time for that.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

No kato ny tätä Nenonen, täs on ilmiselvä tonttu ja siten niiden olemassaolo on todistettu, qed.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008

Nenonen posted:

evidence for the existence for tonttus, keijus and other fairy beings.
The majority of the posts in this thread are made by tonttus, possibly also fairies :smugdog:

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Kuka muu luki tätä saatanaa skidinä?

Warden
Jan 16, 2020
Nuorena sällinä kun olin partioleiriä johtamassa, niin yksi laumalainen tuli yöllä meidän telttaan herättämään, koska oli nähnyt mukamas peikon kun kävi huussissa. Mentiin sitten näön vuoksi katsomaan, että ei siellä mitään ole jotta poloinen rauhottuis.

Se oli jumalauta karhu.

Warden fucked around with this message at 13:28 on May 13, 2020

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

sori, se olin minä, olin vaan paskalla

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
Apparently Krista Kiuru (SDP) is going to handle the task of reopening restaurants, and basically all of twitter is going "welp, that's the end of the restaurant industry :v:".

Bensa
Aug 21, 2007

Loyal 'til the end.

Finntonttu

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Nenonen posted:

:ducksiren: IDIOT KING PÄIVÄKÄSKY #1 :ducksiren:

24 hours have passed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zQUTuHD_oDU

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE
So how was your first day of school post-curfew?

Warden
Jan 16, 2020

No. 1 Callie Fan posted:

So how was your first day of school post-curfew?

Luckily, saner minds prevailed, and high schools remain closed, which means I can continue working from home. This whole distance teaching has gone better than I feared, but not as well as I hoped.

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I won't need to go to a graduation ceremony and I won't need to have a graduation party, this is great!
I mean I didn't need to have a party at any point really, but now I can blame the corona and no one can call me an rear end in a top hat!

Also my office is gonna be closed until the fall so I don't need to go there which... Actually kinda sucks, office has air conditioning...

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
You guys have an opinion about this https://www.hs.fi/junkkari/art-2000006510322.html ? Miksi pääministeri Sanna Marin hermostui Petteri Orpolle

His conclusion is that Marin ideologically dislikes cock (lol), which might actually be true.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Marin is on record saying we shouldn't punish the poor for being poor and that's all the cocks ever do, so that would explain it.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Not exactly deep insight yeah, but if there is real and publized bad feelings between KOK and the leader of SDP it's gonna have effects on stuff. There's gonna be another round of hallitusneuvottelut at some point.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so
I can't really blame her for losing her temper with the disingenuous cheapshots kok/ps are throwing when they can't think of actual criticisms. The government is too lenient with the restrictions until they're suddenly too tough, they're giving out muddled information without a clear central message until they're suddenly too one-sided and stamping out dissenting voices, etc. (Like what the hell is Orpo's point even, that the gov should air out their new linjaukses in a täysi-istunto first to let every professional väärinymmärtäjä get their competing truths out in the press before the actual official instructions?) Yeah it's probably not wise to give Orpo's määkiminen any extra airtime since he's getting so little of it anyway, but it's good this poo poo is called out.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
Orpo's probably worried about how the opposition has basically been completely sidelined and the SDP are constantly rising the polls, and the neoliberal poo poo Kok is pending is just not sounding all that good to a population concerned by the Boomer Remover and losing their jobs.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Orpo's entire gimmick is fishmeching but in the government.

But he's somehow a less tolerable fishmech.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
The opposition has been sidelined because they have no ideas except "have we tried killing the poor/the browns" to contribute, and it's clear that we have real problems to deal with right now.

I'm not even taking the piss right now, while it's no secret I despise the cocks it's also true that they at least seem to have absolutely zero actual workable ideas right now. It feels like they're a rump party designed to accelerate the brain drain to mainland Europe and their heart just isn't in it anymore. The actual hateful fucks seem to be Turd Finns now.

At least The Betrayers have their farms and biding their time to find the perfect moment to incompetently fumble. The cocks are just empty suits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

slowdave
Jun 18, 2008

Orpo rolls a dice every time he opens his mouth and decides if he wants to be either a disingenuous opportunistic hypocrite, or a condescending charisma-less rear end in a top hat, or all of those things at once ("the Kokoomus mindset")