Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
Look it’s a technology in its infancy, I’m sure in time AI will learn better how to infer information that isn’t there like the lighting and in between frames and maybe some day even how to add additional suit pieces

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

I mean we can all go look at the originals, it's just a cool attempt to make past appear more vividly before our eyes. I feel that even the muddy colours and the interpolation really make it feel more alive.

Yolomon Wayne
Jun 10, 2014

You call it "The Big Bang", but what really happened is
Grimey Drawer

Atopian posted:

Even if it did nothing productive, it'd still be funny.

You know what, it *would* be pretty productive.
It would, for starters, only see the most dedicated people enter politics as the entry fee would keep out the fuckers that are just in for cash and connections.

yaffle
Sep 15, 2002

Flapdoodle

hakimashou posted:

The world would be much cooler if more places were like Bhutan and big into their traditional dress, instead of everyone everywhere dressing like they are british or americans.

Last time I was in Shanghai there were tons of young people more or less cosplaying in traditional Chinese dress, my wife said she thinks its some kind of nationalistic thing.

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

yaffle posted:

Last time I was in Shanghai there were tons of young people more or less cosplaying in traditional Chinese dress, my wife said she thinks its some kind of nationalistic thing.

Yeah it’s a movement that’s apparently frequently adjacent to various ethno-nationalist shite among other things

https://youtu.be/cip9DA1UvHk

Edit: whoops I guess on mobile YouTube doesn’t auto-embed correctly but whatev; it’s an SCMP video on hanfu nerds

Porfiriato
Jan 4, 2016

oohhboy posted:

Sort of neat but bad. Running this without the source is pointless and "4k" is a joke. The "AI" has no idea how to deal with the lighting and the interpolation is distracting as it adds no real information. It's butchered and I rather just watch the original.

They Shall Not Grow Old is the gold standard if you want to see something like this actually work.

I'm not sure who did this one but there's a guy who's been doing a few of these on Youtube that look much better in my opinion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VO_1AdYRGW8

I'd still rather see it without colorization but it feels much less artificial to me, also he gives a source/final comparison. In one of his other videos there's film clips from several different sources, and you can see that the quality of the "AI upscale" varies greatly depending on the quality of the original source - these Beijing ones look like the source was fairly crappy to begin with.

The one above is especially cool when you find out that it's taken 4 days before the 1906 earthquake destroyed pretty much everything you see.

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
I too, think that having systemic nihilism inflicted upon those who would be politicians is a great direction to go as a society.
also adding the idea that they cannot have possessions, as that would lighten their burden, allowing them to focus on making the trains run on time.
Also the larpers are cool. good on them, I hope koreans try the same too.

staberind fucked around with this message at 10:58 on May 12, 2020

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

larping w yr titties out

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

peanut posted:

larping w yr titties out

Sounds loving tops

Methylethylaldehyde
Oct 23, 2004

BAKA BAKA

peanut posted:

larping w yr titties out

Nobody wants a second instance of the great SCA wet t-shirt contest of 2017.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
... Strata Community Association?

BigSexy
Apr 21, 2020
What’s up with China’s space program? Apparently other countries have ways to prevent uncontrolled rocket boosters falling down but China is like ???

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/05/large-chunks-of-a-chinese-rocket-missed-new-york-city-by-about-15-minutes/?amp=1

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Chabuduo Space Program.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

BigSexy posted:

What’s up with China’s space program? Apparently other countries have ways to prevent uncontrolled rocket boosters falling down but China is like ???

https://arstechnica.com/science/2020/05/large-chunks-of-a-chinese-rocket-missed-new-york-city-by-about-15-minutes/?amp=1

Remember when China dropped a Long March on a village by accident when they blew up their launch facilities in the 90's, and the response was to wipe away any evidence the village existed and pretend they didn't kill several hundred people? And how they sifted through the wreckage to try and steal tech off the satellite they blew up on the pad? And were banned from being used as a commercial launch partner for decades afterwards as a result?

It's hard to strive for quality when your entire tech tree relies on stolen documentation which you don't fully understand.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

They're still dumping hypergolic propellant on villages as of November 2019.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

BrassRoots posted:

Sounds loving tops

No, just pants.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

BigSexy posted:

They don't give a poo poo and they aren't very good at it. Lot of breathless reporting of China's space program, but they're working at early 1960s level tech right now. They have a long way to go.

Devils Affricate
Jan 22, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

They don't give a poo poo and they aren't very good at it. Lot of breathless reporting of China's space program, but they're working at early 1960s level tech right now. They have a long way to go.

Oh come now, they've stolen plenty of technology that's more recent than that

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

Devils Affricate posted:

Oh come now, they've stolen plenty of technology that's more recent than that

"Stealing technology" is one thing. Actually turning it into a successful product is another.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

A question on China-stealing technology/IP etc.

Given this practice is so widespread and widely known to occur, have their been any famous examples of non-Chinese companies tricking Chinese companies into "stealing" bad/wrong/non-functional tech. in order to sabotage/teach them a lesson?

Even if there had been, I can't imagine either side would admit to it happening.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Cheesemaster200 posted:

"Stealing technology" is one thing. Actually turning it into a successful product is another.

It's like taking a 2019 smartphone back to 2012 and giving it to Huawei. They know what it is, the principles behind it, and it will help them speed up their own development, but they're not going to be able to make a 2019 equivalent phone any time soon.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

BrigadierSensible posted:

Given this practice is so widespread and widely known to occur, have their been any famous examples of non-Chinese companies tricking Chinese companies into "stealing" bad/wrong/non-functional tech. in order to sabotage/teach them a lesson?

Even if there had been, I can't imagine either side would admit to it happening.

It's not quiet the same thing but FTDI realized that the numerous Chinese forgeries of their ubiquitous serial USB driver chip were only being built with a partial instruction set and pushed out a driver that specifically called the unimplemented parts. This had the net effect of bricking non-legitimate chips when you tried to communicate with them while working flawlessly with the legitimate ones. It backfired though because a lot of people felt it was malicious by FTDI since it destroyed thousands of hobby projects.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
There was the Capacitor Plague but that was someone missing a chemical subscript:

quote:

Industrial espionage

A 2003 article in The Independent claimed that the cause of the faulty capacitors was in fact due to a mis-copied formula. In 2001, a scientist working in the Rubycon Corporation in Japan stole a mis-copied formula for capacitors' electrolytes. He had first worked for the Luminous Town Electric company in China. In the same year, the scientist's staff left China, stealing again the mis-copied formula and moving to Taiwan, where they would have created their own company, producing capacitors and propagating even more of this faulty formula of capacitor electrolytes.[17]

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

BrigadierSensible posted:

Many products need decent software and maintenance/support. That's not so easy to fake.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

screamin and creamin posted:

Many products need decent software and maintenance/support. That's not so easy to fake.
What are you talking about? I made a thing and you bought it. Our business has finished, so why should I spend money helping you use the thing and keeping it working? What a stupid idea, no wonder foreigners are so bad at business.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shumagorath posted:

There was the Capacitor Plague but that was someone missing a chemical subscript:

I lost a very nice computer to that, I was furious when I found out what the cause was.

Well, it was a while after, so more just “severely miffed” but still.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.

Grand Fromage posted:

Well I mean outside of SpaceX stuff, so is everyone else.
It's only relatively recently that Nazi-tech stopped being the gold standard.

Mr. Smile Face Hat
Sep 15, 2003

Praise be to China's Covid-Zero Policy

Tupperwarez posted:

What are you talking about? I made a thing and you bought it. Our business has finished, so why should I spend money helping you use the thing and keeping it working? What a stupid idea, no wonder foreigners are so bad at business.

Right, but next time the foreigner will buy from a company that has some kind of support.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I lost a very nice computer to that, I was furious when I found out what the cause was.

Well, it was a while after, so more just “severely miffed” but still.
I lost entire offices to it, and probably spent a hundred hours on my own PC because the ones that popped were under the bottom ISA slot or right against the CPU socket, under the cooler.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Shumagorath posted:

I lost entire offices to it, and probably spent a hundred hours on my own PC because the ones that popped were under the bottom ISA slot or right against the CPU socket, under the cooler.

Yeah, I ended up just replacing my whole setup because of that kind of thing. Could not find what popped and thought it was the PSU going and frying everything. That computer had a goddamn AMD FX57 in it.

Ailumao
Nov 4, 2004

Blistex posted:

It's like taking a 2019 smartphone back to 2012 and giving it to Huawei. They know what it is, the principles behind it, and it will help them speed up their own development, but they're not going to be able to make a 2019 equivalent phone any time soon.

I thought many people unironically liked huawei's android phones and think they‘re about the best android ones on the market? i'm a dumb fruit phone user so I cannot comment.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Atopian posted:

Well I mean outside of SpaceX stuff, so is everyone else.
It's only relatively recently that Nazi-tech stopped being the gold standard.

Not really? They've only recently started using RP-1/LOX engines, before this they were using hydrazine/N2O4, which was abandoned as a main stage engine fuel for these types of rockets in the early 60s. It's horrifically toxic (and has worse performance than other fuels) and only used in RCS systems now, since those still use hypergolic propellants. Their newest engine's basically a copy of an old Soviet one that took them a couple of decades to figure out how to build. Like a lot of Chinese projects, it's big and looks impressive but what's under the hood is crap.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
This feels like a good time to ask about that rail gun.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?

screamin and creamin posted:

Right, but next time the foreigner will buy from a company that has some kind of support.
Next time? Why are you thinking about money that you don't have yet? I have the money from the transaction NOW. Look, I know you have many bad foreigner ideas about business, so let me explain how to do business correctly:

- You need to make as many Things as you can in the shortest time. That way, you can sell and ship more Things.
- Quality control is a big dumb roadblock that stops you from making and shipping more Things. Short circuit it anytime you can.
- Taking less money now so you can maybe get more money later is dumb, dumb, dumb. Get as much money as you can NOW.
- On the same subject, don't waste money on R&D, wait for some dummy to waste money on it and take their poo poo. Easy.
- Sometimes customers will complain that the Thing that you made isn't 'to spec' or some nonsense like that. Wrong! They wanted a Thing, you made a Thing, now you need to get paid. End of story.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I like space exploration and China becoming a player in it is good, more rockets is better. I just also like being realistic. The Chinese program makes a lot of huge promises, gets a lot of press, and produces very little. It's also difficult to follow since they're so secretive about everything. I also wish they would stop dropping toxic, exploding rocket stages on people.

I'm honestly not sure why their program is so slow to advance. They'll launch a mission that shows progress on something, then just... nothing for years.

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
I can't wait until we get another stunt like their satellite shoot-down (more like shattering) and no one gets to go to space for awhile.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
china is gonna build a parasel island base

on the loving moon

trump's space saber rattling isn't gonna help

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
... and yet another Deus Ex flavour text will come true (an enormous Chinese mass driver gently caress-up iirc).

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 3, 2020

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

China uses their space program to do the most Chinese things, only in space, like sending silkworms into space. It's like if the sole point of the US space program was to study bald eagles in zero G.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Shumagorath posted:

... and yet another Deus Ex flavour text will come true (and enormous Chinese mass driver gently caress-up iirc).

That is actually a leftover of a dropped plot (like half of the original DX design was cut) where that mass driver was being controlled by an AI that went out of control or was becoming part of the MJ-12/Illuminati conflict, I don't know that they ever figured out exactly. But that part of the game had some work done on it before it was cut, the interiors of Area 51 were originally the moon base.

I'll wedgie myself out.